Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default If Spider-Man were to get animated movies, what would you like to see?

I was watching some of the animated adaptations of Batman storylines (Hush, Gotham by Gaslight, Killing Joke, Dark Knight Returns, etc) and started to wonder why Spider-Man hasn’t had any of some of his more famous stories adapted in an animated format. While it can be mentioned that Marvel most likely won’t do any animated adaptations with Spider-Man any time soon in the form of DTV movies (as I think Sony still controls animated movies of the character), I am definitely interested to see what story lines and runs you would like to be animated that will probably never see the light of day outside of comic-dom otherwise.

We might have some loose adaptations every now and then in some of the animated series like Spider-Man the Animated Series’ "Make a Wish/Attack of the Octobot” (Kid Who Collected Spider-Man) and Spectacular Spider-Man’s Engineering 101 arc (Master Planner Saga), Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Superior arc (Superior Spider-Man) etc, but we’ve never had any animated movies of some of Spider-Man’s greatest hits. What storylines or runs would you prefer to have an animated adaptation? We all know that the adaptations don’t have to be 1:1 on the comic storylines so they could either make changes to clean up, or keep us on our seats.

BANNED

Parallel Lives
    Kraven's Last Hunt
    The Owl/Octopus War
    Spider-Man Blue
    The Spider-Totem Saga which includes The Conversation, Doomed Affairs, and The Book of Ezekiel
    Marvel Knights: Spider-Man
    The Hobgoblin Saga
    The Cosmic Spider-Man Saga

I believe the way it works is Sony can do animated Spidey movies theatrical or otherwise, and TV shows/cartoons/specials with episodes 45 minutes or longer. I wouldn't mind seeing them revive any of their older Spidey cartoons in longer form formats one day.

I've long wished we'd get animated Spidey movies that adapt comic stories, though. Marvel never really does that-not even when Lionsgate was doing those Marvel animated movies besides Ultimate Avengers really (which I thought was a good adaptation). Kraven's Last Hunt would be at the top of the list, or Coming Home.

Fun fact, Spider-Man Unlimited was originally gonna be a low-budget pretty spot on adaptation of some of the Lee/Ditko comics until the Sony movie deal was made which then prevented them from doing a show with pretty much any traditional Spidey elements.

For the most part, Spider-Man works better in episodic storytelling, where adventures have consequences.

But it could be cool to see adaptations of self-contained stories with unique art style to reflect those stories (IE- a more realist Kraven's Last Hunt, a more pastel Spider-Man: Blue.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Clone Saga
    Spiderhunt
    Identity Crisis

-Pav, who wants to see Pete switch costumes mid-battle...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I've long wished we'd get animated Spidey movies that adapt comic stories, though. Marvel never really does that-not even when Lionsgate was doing those Marvel animated movies besides Ultimate Avengers really (which I thought was a good adaptation). Kraven's Last Hunt would be at the top of the list, or Coming Home.
    They did a fairly straight adaption of Planet Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Clone Saga
    Spiderhunt
    Identity Crisis

-Pav, who wants to see Pete switch costumes mid-battle...
    Do you think the Clone Saga could be done as a one-off movie?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    For the most part, Spider-Man works better in episodic storytelling, where adventures have consequences.
    I agree. The Spider-Man comics have always been built around the ongoing soap opera of Peter Parker's life, his evolving relationships with the supporting cast. It's difficult to pluck out individual stories that would work in a 70-90 minute movie format and deliver the full Spider-Man experience.

Most of the truly self-contained stories tend to be 1 or 2 issues long, which isn't enough material to work with.

My choice would be "The Bridge" from Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #7-9, for several reasons:

* 3 issues translates well to animated movie length
    * Self-contained, continuity light story
    * Recognisable villain (Sandman)
    * A significant moment in Peter's life (senior prom, graduating high school), so doesn't feel throw-away
    * Uses the supporting cast/soap opera
    * Full character arcs for Peter/Sandman/Betty/Flash/Liz that interlink and reflect each other
    * Good moments with Aunt May and J Jonah Jameson
    * Core conflict is Peter being selfish, shirking his responsibilities, then trying to put things right
    * Conflict between Peter's personal life and his responsibilities as Spider-Man
    * Good balance of comedy, action and human drama

Put simply:

* This is a very good Spider-Man story
    * This is a self-contained Spider-Man story
    * This is a very Spider-Many Spider-Man story

Do you think the Clone Saga could be done as a one-off movie?
    Short answer: yes, especially if you lean more closely to the streamlined version we got from Mackie and Defalco a few years back.

Although, now that I think about it, maybe you follow that up with a Lost Years / Redemption sequel focusing solely on Ben and Kaine.

-Pav, who imagines a fairly dark tone obvs...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

I think you can do The First Clone Saga by Gerry Conway in a single movie, and combine that with The Night Gwen Stacy Died.

The model could be to do it like Hitchcock's Vertigo, which was an obvious influence on the original Clone Saga.

In this scenario, Miles Warren is like Gavin Elster and a professor who is known to Peter and Gwen. In the first act he decides to get Gwen all for himself and he, assigned as shrink to Harry Osborn after his drug overdose, finds out about Norman being the Goblin and later finds out Peter is Spider-Man, so he gaslights and triggers Norman's relapse by malingering Harry. Warren's plan is to kill and expose Peter but in the process Gwen dies...and he blames Peter for it obviously. And then after Norman dies, he enters his lab and unearths stuff about a cloning procedure (shades of Kingsley Hobgoblin), which also solves the whole "ESU hack is a cloning genius somehow" problem.

The first to the middle act is Gwen Stacy's death complete with the Epilogue at the end of ASM#122. In Vertigo, Barbara Bel Geddes' Midge character (who is basically MJ in this scenario) leaves Scottie because she feels he's too far gone, and so on. But MJ stays with Peter, and the second half is the growing friendship and blossoming love between them, meanwhile, Warren, now Jackal sends the Punisher to kill Peter...and the final act, you have the clone return and Peter is torn and confused about Gwen being alive after all and what it means with the relationship between him and MJ. And the story ends with Peter fighting Spider-Man (clone) in a stadium, surviving, finding out Gwen is a clone, and the two epilogues at the end of ASM#149, one where Gwen-Clone parts ways and Peter comes to terms with Gwen's death, and the second when he goes back to his apartment and finds MJ and they...well close the door for some private time.

So it's Vertigo but with a happy ending, where the hero gets over his fixation with a dead woman...but then that's kind of what the First Clone Saga was all about. Gerry Conway himself pointed out that when the Garfield movie did Gwen's death in the second movie, he noted that the only way to do Gwen's story and provide a payoff was introduce the clones and MJ. SO having Gwen die midway into the story would work.

I disagree. I think you can condense and distill stuff by focusing on big story-arcs and so on.

I think you can probably condense the different Clone Saga's together into one movie.

Lord knows how much they had to condense for Reign of the Supermen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think you can probably condense the different Clone Saga's together into one movie.

Lord knows how much they had to condense for Reign of the Supermen.
    The so-called "Real Clone Saga" by Defalco-Mackie probably can be made into a single movie, as well as Ultimate Clone Saga.

Mighty Member

I feel that One More Day and Sins Past could make great movies.... (I kid I kid!)

I agree that the Clone Saga would definitely be a great contender for an animated adaptation.

I would also like to see the Hobgoblin Saga, as we were robbed of seeing the Hobgoblin adapted correctly for the first time (i.e. being a copy cat villain rather than being the original goblin)

Those two stories in particular took FOREVER to resolve, so adaptations that "cut the fat" would probably be the best course of action for them. I feel that animated movies might be the best course of action for stories like these as they fall in between the classic stuff and the modern stuff that animated series and live action movies will be more drawn to taking inspiration from.

I would be down for an animated Spider-Verse film that pulled a Shattered Dimensions and brought back a lot of past Spidey VA's in prominent roles. Maybe not playing their respective cartoon Spidey, but some equivalent too.

Astonishing Member

I don't think the Hobgoblin mystery or Clone Saga are suited to a movie format. They were both reliant on long form mysteries and interlinking subplots, soap opera twists and turns and cliffhangers.