Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Spinoffs that Outlasted the Main Series

Law and Order:SVU - this show currently has 21 seasons under it's belt. That impressive considering the original show lasted for 20. I haven't followed the series in a long time so I don't know if there's been anymore series attempted.

NCIS - From my understanding this show spinoff from JAG which had 10 seasons. NCIS currently has 17 seasons and two spinoffs of it's own.

Extraordinary Member

The Jeffersons lasted 11 seasons while All In The Family lasted 9 seasons (not counting Archie Bunkers Place).

Retired

Does THE SIMPSONS count? That was spun off THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW, which lasted four seasons. And THE SIMPSONS cannot be killed.

Knots Landing lasted 14 full seasons, while Dallas lasted 13 plus the original miniseries (even though on DVD they label it 14 seasons). I'm not counting the Dallas 2012 continuation as part of the original.

Retired

Another one that needs a decision from the judges on whether it counts is HAPPY DAYS. That had its backdoor pilot on LOVE AMERICAN STYLE--albeit with Harold Gould playing Howard. LOVE AMERICAN STYLE lasted five seasons. HAPPY DAYS had eleven seasons.

Throwing in Family Matters. It spun off Perfect Strangers which lasted 8 seasons. Family Matters had 9.

Star Trek The Next Generation outlasted Star Trek the Original Series.

Extraordinary Member

The Facts Of Life (9 seasons) outlasted Diff'rent Strokes (8 seasons).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    That's really not a spin off. DS9 and Voyager were, but not TNG or Enterprise.

BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD (6 seasons) spun off of LIQUID TELEVISION (3 seasons).

BENSON (7 seasons) spun off of SOAP (4 seasons).

EXTREME MAKOVER: HOME EDITION (10 seasons) spun off of EXTREME MAKEOVER (4 seasons).
    Last edited by Riv86672; 02-25-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Xena lasted longer than Hercules although Sorbo having a stroke and choosing to end it was the reason.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

Although it didn't outlast it, it should be mentioned that Frasier managed to tie the incredible 11-season run of Cheers. Plus, Kelsey Grammar played Frasier for more seasons on his own show (11 seasons) than he played him on Cheers (9 seasons).

When I first read that Frasier Crane was going to spin off from Cheers - and without Lilith - I thought 'what in the heck are they going to do with HIM?' I wasn't a huge fan of the character and definitely thought Lilith was the funnier of the two. However, not only did they surround him with an incredible supporting cast, they made him funnier than I ever could have imagined.

Buffy, mash and dukes of hazzard all came from a big screen movie and the shows are more known then the films!

Another one that needs a decision from the judges on whether it counts is HAPPY DAYS. That had its backdoor pilot on LOVE AMERICAN STYLE--albeit with Harold Gould playing Howard. LOVE AMERICAN STYLE lasted five seasons. HAPPY DAYS had eleven seasons.
    Yes it counts. Plus happy days also had tons of spin offs like mork and mindy and even three cartoons! (the casts all voiced the cartoons including robin as mork!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    TNG is a sequel series not a spin-off.