Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Children or no Children for the Amazons?

There have been runs where the Amazons have children and currently and a for them most modern runs they don’t have children. I mean Diana does need friend right? At least a few children for her.

I think that they can have children but they should be rare. Besides the whole immortal thing it is an island filled with only women and as such if children do show up there should be special circumstances or they should be important.

I definitely do want Fury to return in some capacity in the future though.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

I don't think there should have been children in the island. There are only women in it and thus it is not possible under normal circonstances. Diana is an exception, by will of gods (be it her father like now or magic in previous versions). If there are more children, it is not an exception anymore.

Beside that, i think it can be a definitive character trait to her : not seeing children on the island, she may find it marvelous in man's world that there is so many of them, a reason why the island should be reunited with the world, or even wanting children herself.

To me this is one of the core questions on Diana's upbringing and how Amazon society will look, since so much else about the Amazons will have to follow on that.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I do have certain outcomes that I prefer and possibilities I'd like see explored, but I'm not going to claim that stories suck because they go in other directions.

Diana Princess of the Amazons by the Hales had Diana as the lone child on the island, made it into a plot point, and crafted a good story out of that seed. Pérez also played up Diana as the only child, but made it into an important background element in how the Amazons related to her.

If I got to write the Amazon backstory, the Amazons would be bringing both children and pregnant mothers with them when they (or some) of them go into exile on Themyscira. The boys are taken off them by the gods (making them a shameful secret of the Amazons), including Hippolyta's son (by a father who does not matter). A short time after arrival, Diana is molded from clay, and she has a bunch of older sisters to grow up with. Those girls born on Themyscira (Mala would be one) were also the contestants to become the champion after Steve Trevor turned up: everyone else had been forbidden from leaving Themyscira.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

My canon: Diana and Nubia are the daughters of Hippolyta and Philippus respectively, both made from clay. Donna is adopted and is from the Philippines.

The original premise was that Diana did grow up without any other children around. Some stories focused on these things as growing pains and lessons learned.

Then of course, later, the retcon of Sorceresss Magala made Donna from Diana's mirror image for her to have a playmate and friend.

I prefer Diana be the only child growing up. I like the idea that, as much as the other Amazons love and support her, there is that degree of separation to her. It adds to Hippolyta's protectiveness of her--that even fully grown, she'll always be "the baby" to her. All fuel to her desire to eventually leave Themyscira and become Wonder Woman.

Originally I think it was that all Amazons that had immortality couldn't have kids without the gods being involved. The Amazons from Bana-Mighdall didn't have immortality when they were introduced so they did have kids. I don't think it's an either immortality or children option anymore. So techically all Amazons could have them through childbirth if they don't adopt, right?

Whether they should have them currently? Well maybe not while Diana was growing up but maybe afterward. It always felt cruel to me that the gods wouldn't allow any other Amazon on Theymscira to have a baby. Especially when it deeply affected them, sometimes on a psychological level (like it was shown in The Circle.) It also bothered me for population reasons too. The Amazons of Bana-Mighdall definitely should have children especially since their not as isolated as the ones on Theymscira.

Although I do hope for a non-cruel explanation for why they don't have any boys. Maybe something like the Gerudo from Legend of Zelda where they rarely ever have male children?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Marie View Post
    Originally I think it was that all Amazons that had immortality couldn't have kids without the gods being involved. The Amazons from Bana-Mighdall didn't have immortality when they were introduced so they did have kids. I don't think it's an either immortality or children option anymore. So techically all Amazons could have them through childbirth if they don't adopt, right?
    I think The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz follows the idea of immortality versus fertility, but it's not the most common variation. I'm not sure I think it's a good option anyway, for a variety of reasons.

Pérez had immortality come from the island, while I think the Bana-Mighdall had enslaved men to father their daughters.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Amazons can have children but they generally don’t use men. The Marston was was all clay. Even the Amazons themselves were all made form clay but Athena. I wouldn’t mind if the Amazons were originally all normal women who created a city. And it wasn’t until Hercules came. They were a matriarch. They were coed and successful

Many had children and those kids were with them at paradise island. So Diana can be the first kid born in generations. I would have Mala. I mean Marston’s Amazons and Morrison were advance tech so it’s not hard if someone made tech
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-28-2020 at 07:13 PM.