Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Children or no Children for the Amazons?

There have been runs where the Amazons have children and currently and a for them most modern runs they don’t have children. I mean Diana does need friend right? At least a few children for her.

I think that they can have children but they should be rare. Besides the whole immortal thing it is an island filled with only women and as such if children do show up there should be special circumstances or they should be important.

I definitely do want Fury to return in some capacity in the future though.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

I don't think there should have been children in the island. There are only women in it and thus it is not possible under normal circonstances. Diana is an exception, by will of gods (be it her father like now or magic in previous versions). If there are more children, it is not an exception anymore.

Beside that, i think it can be a definitive character trait to her : not seeing children on the island, she may find it marvelous in man's world that there is so many of them, a reason why the island should be reunited with the world, or even wanting children herself.

To me this is one of the core questions on Diana's upbringing and how Amazon society will look, since so much else about the Amazons will have to follow on that.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I do have certain outcomes that I prefer and possibilities I'd like see explored, but I'm not going to claim that stories suck because they go in other directions.

Diana Princess of the Amazons by the Hales had Diana as the lone child on the island, made it into a plot point, and crafted a good story out of that seed. Pérez also played up Diana as the only child, but made it into an important background element in how the Amazons related to her.

If I got to write the Amazon backstory, the Amazons would be bringing both children and pregnant mothers with them when they (or some) of them go into exile on Themyscira. The boys are taken off them by the gods (making them a shameful secret of the Amazons), including Hippolyta's son (by a father who does not matter). A short time after arrival, Diana is molded from clay, and she has a bunch of older sisters to grow up with. Those girls born on Themyscira (Mala would be one) were also the contestants to become the champion after Steve Trevor turned up: everyone else had been forbidden from leaving Themyscira.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

My canon: Diana and Nubia are the daughters of Hippolyta and Philippus respectively, both made from clay. Donna is adopted and is from the Philippines.

The original premise was that Diana did grow up without any other children around. Some stories focused on these things as growing pains and lessons learned.

Then of course, later, the retcon of Sorceresss Magala made Donna from Diana's mirror image for her to have a playmate and friend.

I prefer Diana be the only child growing up. I like the idea that, as much as the other Amazons love and support her, there is that degree of separation to her. It adds to Hippolyta's protectiveness of her--that even fully grown, she'll always be "the baby" to her. All fuel to her desire to eventually leave Themyscira and become Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I prefer Diana be the only child growing up. I like the idea that, as much as the other Amazons love and support her, there is that degree of separation to her. It adds to Hippolyta's protectiveness of her--that even fully grown, she'll always be "the baby" to her. All fuel to her desire to eventually leave Themyscira and become Wonder Woman.
    Pretty much this, though the rare 'rescue' (child or adult) wouldn't be too far fetched, but I mean very rare. No more than 3 or 4 times over the centuries.

I prefer Diana as the only child of the Amazons and the position that puts her in, in relation to the other Amazons.

In my Wonder history, the next child on Paradise Island would be Donna Troy, who is brought there by Diana after an adventure in Patriarch’s World.

One thing I liked about Perez’s run is the part where the Amazons revealed themselves to Man’s World. I’d like see that happen again, because it’s rife with potential for drama and political intrigue. Concurrently, I can see some of the Amazons being challenged in that scenario and how it changes their relationships with men. I could see some Amazons developing relationships and having children as a result... and how that might challenge and change the future of Themyscira. Lots of potential drama there.

I would at least have Mala to be the only other child. I mean a child does a friend to play with other. Also Marston has shown multiple times that Diana always wanted to leave the island. De Liz did the same. So really it’s a matter choice. Diana can be or not the only child.

I don’t mind if some of the goddess sends abandoned girls. Since that is still a thing.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-27-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Incredible Member

Young Amazons and Amazon children existed under Martson, I don't consider it unfaithful for them to be a thing. While it wasn't addressed in Wonder Woman or Sensation, according to the Newspaper strip, Diana was only the first Amazon child made from clay and brought to life by Aphrodite and any Amazon can make a daughter and ask Aphrodite to give her life. I suppose Morrison's Earth One where the Amazons have advanced science allowing them to reproduce can be viewed as science fiction based version of this. I find the ideas intriguing, but I'm not sold on them becoming part of main continuity yet.

In Kanighers early silver age continuity, where Diana was born pre-exile, logically there could have been other girls around Diana's age she would grow up with. While want Diana to be born on Paradise Island, I wouldn't mind her being conceived shortly before the events that cause the Amazon's exile. If it's considered necessary for her to have a father I'd rather it be Kanigher's Theno, or even Hercules, than Zeus. Though I'd prefer the clay origin.

Which brings me to the next possible take, though it has some uncomfortableness. One could have some Amazons as coming to Paradise Island pregnant most likely rape from during their enslavement. It's easy to see why no writer ever tried to address this giving the uncomfortableness of the issue. If Diana is born early post exile she can grow up alongside these children. And you also end up in a situation of addressing the possibility of male births. While you could have something happen to them and have it be a "Dark Secret" they keep from Diana and the other young Amazons, it also important to not make Hippolyta or the Amazon society as a whole the "Bad Guy" in the situation. There's a lot of room for taking a mistep.

The less said about New 52 take on this concept the better. Maybe if the Amazon's didn't murder but only mindwiped their suitors afterward, and their attitude towards the male children wasn't portrayed as callous, more of them adopting the boys out a good home and not selling them to Heph and only because he offered more than Circe. Even then there's a lot of room for stumbling.

As for them receiving children afterwords, I kind of feel if the Amazons have duty on the island that will logically result in a loss of life overtime like guarding the gates of Tartarus, then overtime they should receive a few children. I think them being brought young girls lost at sea, or girls otherwise lost or abandoned and them adopting them is adequate.

As an aside, While I get the idea of Diana growing up being an only child and can support it, I also feel there is one area and exception should always be made. I feel Donna Troy having her origin as Diana's younger adopted sister is more important, and what Diana and Donna gain by being sisters outweighs whatever Diana loses by growing up alongside a younger adopted sister from a certain age on wards. This mainly comes up if you want Diana to be the actual age she appears, and have her debut "recently" in the last five or ten or whatever years, around the same time as Batman/Superman, and also have Donna be a contemporary of Dick's generation of Titans. I just feel it's necessary to bring up as sometimes I feel when people talk about Diana being the only child growing up they're not taking Donna or how her origin may be impacted into consideration.

Incredible Member

No children, except for Diana, Nubia and Donna (before they all grew to adulthood).

As for boosting the Amazon's numbers, since they so often serve as cannon fodder for various storylines, I'd like to see their patron Greek gods send certain woman to Themyscira following their death in man's world for a second life. That would also help Themyscira to stay "up to date" in terms of technological developments, modern politics, etc (IF Themyscira is otherwise shut off from man's world).

I like the idea that Diana grew up as the only child on the island. I think it's interesting and has dramatic storytelling potential. In this head canon, Nubia would have been born / created at a later date. Or something happened which meant that Nubia wasn't raised by Hippolyta and Philippus. And Diana rescues Donna (or Donna washes ashore from a ship wreck) only after Diana has reached adulthood or at least was an older teenager.

So, is this strictly the Themysciran Amazons, or does it include the Bana too?

What about Mala? She by far also important in the Wonder Woman storyline. I mean she needs friends so who should Diana befriend? I guess if there are no other children what about mythical creatures? I mean there seem to be a lot of them around. I mean Diana needs someone who is not an adult or her mother to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

For the most part, unless it's changed. The Banas have children. They are mortal.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-27-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    We're mostly talking about Themyscira, and particularly to whether or not Diana grows up alongside other children.

The Bana while in separation from Themyscira have their own practices regarding mating and having children. Whether they keep some men around as slaves for those purposes or do their own version of Azz's seduce and murder.

Now if and when one does a story where the Bana reform and are reintegrated into Themyscira, if they have children with them they would come too. (As part of their reforming they'd also be expected to stop keeping slaves or preying on men.)But that should be more of a run long concept dealing with the various aspects of Bana returning as prodigal sisters, that we didn't get much of since it was mostly handled off screen when done previously. I do recall one panel back in the WML's run where Diana is visiting the bana's village and there was a child in the background.