Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I prefer Diana as the only child that grow up on Themysicra.

The Amazons are unaging, but bunches of them do get killed off every now and then, which creates a population question. My solution, tied to Perez's origin of the Amazons, was this: every 1000 years or so, the Greek goddesses take a new group of souls from Gaia's Womb and incarnate them as a new set of (adult) Amazons on the island. That way we get a little variety and differentiation added in: the Amazons who were there originally, the ones who joined in 1000 years later, and so on. It adds a feeling of generations to the immortal Amazons, and might have some interesting social or even political ramifications.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Another possibility to get kids among the Amazons is to delve deep into science fiction: their knowledge in genetic engineering (or reproductive magic, if one wants more fantasy) allows them to do fertilise an egg using another egg (and this is not outside the realm of possibility; it appears to have been done with mice eggs).

So the question of kids ties into the relation of the Amazons to the outside world, to the Olympians, to science and technology, to magic, and of course what sorts of upbringing Diana should get.

It's an interesting worldbuilding exercise, and I'm not going to say that any one answer is wrong. But writers need to be able to both see how different factors influence another or fit together, what sorts of ethical or moral issues that comes with them, and how it impacts Wonder Woman's character.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

We can also have ever 1,000 years of an Amazon wanted children she could get one. I’m not saying ever single Amazon has children rather a small group once want. A could see a few Amazons other than Hippolyta wanted one. Especially when baby girls are a a abandoned. Why not those girls be sent to the Amazons?

Originally I think it was that all Amazons that had immortality couldn't have kids without the gods being involved. The Amazons from Bana-Mighdall didn't have immortality when they were introduced so they did have kids. I don't think it's an either immortality or children option anymore. So techically all Amazons could have them through childbirth if they don't adopt, right?

Whether they should have them currently? Well maybe not while Diana was growing up but maybe afterward. It always felt cruel to me that the gods wouldn't allow any other Amazon on Theymscira to have a baby. Especially when it deeply affected them, sometimes on a psychological level (like it was shown in The Circle.) It also bothered me for population reasons too. The Amazons of Bana-Mighdall definitely should have children especially since their not as isolated as the ones on Theymscira.

Although I do hope for a non-cruel explanation for why they don't have any boys. Maybe something like the Gerudo from Legend of Zelda where they rarely ever have male children?

Quote Originally Posted by E.Marie View Post
    Originally I think it was that all Amazons that had immortality couldn't have kids without the gods being involved. The Amazons from Bana-Mighdall didn't have immortality when they were introduced so they did have kids. I don't think it's an either immortality or children option anymore. So techically all Amazons could have them through childbirth if they don't adopt, right?
    I think The Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz follows the idea of immortality versus fertility, but it's not the most common variation. I'm not sure I think it's a good option anyway, for a variety of reasons.

Pérez had immortality come from the island, while I think the Bana-Mighdall had enslaved men to father their daughters.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Amazons can have children but they generally don’t use men. The Marston was was all clay. Even the Amazons themselves were all made form clay but Athena. I wouldn’t mind if the Amazons were originally all normal women who created a city. And it wasn’t until Hercules came. They were a matriarch. They were coed and successful

Many had children and those kids were with them at paradise island. So Diana can be the first kid born in generations. I would have Mala. I mean Marston’s Amazons and Morrison were advance tech so it’s not hard if someone made tech
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-28-2020 at 07:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Another possibility to get kids among the Amazons is to delve deep into science fiction: their knowledge in genetic engineering (or reproductive magic, if one wants more fantasy) allows them to do fertilise an egg using another egg (and this is not outside the realm of possibility; it appears to have been done with mice eggs).
    The deal about parthenogenesis (which is what you are describing) is that it results in only female offspring, who are in effect clones of their mothers. That was probably at the back of someone's mind when Hippolyta was revised into looking exactly like Diana (instead of being a blonde).

Not steadfast in it but I'm generally in the camp of Diana being the only child on the island. Think it adds to her motivations of wanting to leave the island if she's the only one who has had no real direct interactions with Man's World in comparison to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by ComixMaven View Post
    The deal about parthenogenesis (which is what you are describing) is that it results in only female offspring, who are in effect clones of their mothers. That was probably at the back of someone's mind when Hippolyta was revised into looking exactly like Diana (instead of being a blonde).
    No, I'm not thinking of parthenogenesis, but fertilising an egg using another egg (or even another non-sexual cell), like is mentioned in Egg Fertilized Without Sperm. You are correct in that it would only result in daughters, but the girl would genetically have a mother and a "father" (though it would have been a woman who provided the genetic material that normally come from a man). Here is another discussion: Is there any way for a gay couple to have a child that is their own?

So to me, the question of kids on Themyscira naturally ties into if they are scientifically advanced or not.

Note: original (as HG Peter drew her) Hippolyta had brown hair.

Incredible Member

Well, they're immortal but not indestructible so they need to be able to make up for deaths that comes with the territory. Either they have children of their own or take in orphans from the outside world to raise as their own.

I mean I do think Diana should have at least one friend in Marston's it was Mala. So I would love to see Mala again. I mean the more I think about it why not have it be that many baby girls will wind up in the arms of an amazonian mom if she is abandoned to die. That does happen in real life.

Looking at Legends by Renee I like the idea that Hippolyta was never suppose to have Diana. That maybe the Amazons did have children but not Hippolyta because of her duties. But gets her Wish. Still makes Diana special. By children o don’t mean a lot just from time to time even due to shipwrecks or young baby girls sent to the island due to being abandoned
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-13-2020 at 12:48 PM.

I’m still of the opinion that Diana is the singular child growing up in Paradise, until Diana brings Donna to the island.

It makes her unique among the Amazons and a bit of an outsider to the other Amazon’s experiences in Man’s World. I’d go so far as to say that that status and Diana’s role in winning the contest are crucial parts of her Bildungsroman. I especially hate that the latter was jettisoned for the JL Animated and cinematic origin stories. It was something new in terms of Diana’s personal drama, but not classic, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’m still of the opinion that Diana is the singular child growing up in Paradise, until Diana brings Donna to the island.

It makes her unique among the Amazons and a bit of an outsider to the other Amazon’s experiences in Man’s World. I’d go so far as to say that that status and Diana’s role in winning the contest are crucial parts of her Bildungsroman. I especially hate that the latter was jettisoned for the JL Animated and cinematic origin stories. It was something new in terms of Diana’s personal drama, but not classic, IMHO.

I mean what about Mala? Her childhood best friend. Wouldn't she, Diana, and Donna be a good team? The three going on adventures. Mala is one of the Amazons cut out because of certain limits we place. If we go with Marston he made her unique by having her be the only one who wants to leave the Island. I mean if we can't have Nubia why not Mala?
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-16-2020 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I mean what about Mala? Her childhood best friend. Wouldn't she, Diana, and Donna be a good team? The three going on adventures. Mala is one of the Amazons cut out because of certain limits we place. If we go with Marston he made her unique by having her be the only one who wants to leave the Island. I mean if we can't have Nubia why not Mala?
    I like Mala as a friend of Diana once Diana is grown as a young woman. Amazon culture and society doesn’t have to be like ours. Once Diana grows to adulthood, she’s obviously going to find Amazons that reflect her personality - like Mala.

Mala doesn’t need to be the same age as Diana for them to have conflict or challenges or a happy ending.