Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I don't know I kind of feel there should be more of a reason why the gods wouldn't give them kids. That it's not just because the Amazons don't want one. But maybe because Ares or the doom gate has causes issues. I mean what if Mala was at least a pre-teen when Diana was born? She was reincarnated has such.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-16-2020 at 09:31 PM.

BANNED

Is there a plausible, in-story, biological reason why Amazons can't produce children like everyone else does?

No. They can have children. It’s they choice not to. I don’t know how to feel because a lot of certain ideas by Marston are just gone due to Perez. The military is the only part that stays. They take away Diana prince. The took away the bracelets. They took away Holliday College. If we want Diana to have any kind of normal life in a sense we can’t keep going away from Marston or Perez.I mean why should she be this Spirit of truth? That’s why I like the idea of her being a student at Holliday College. That Etta isn’t this Military woman. We got more personality out of Etta and Steve doing Marston. But they are now not important or boring. No Kangas, No Amazonian mental. So many things were strip to make the Amazons freeze in time. I like to time that due to the cool gate or Ares they would actually have updated their weapons.

I mean the simple fact in marston is all the Amazons were made from Clay. Even the amazon children. So Diana was special for other reasons. It’s not impossible. I mean if we had to give a reason why the Amazons can’t have children we could easily have it be that Ares cursed them.

One of the main reasons why I kind of want to see children is they taken so much away. Perez is a great writer but he took away advance tech from them. Now we can’t have that for the Amazons. I mean the simple fact the Amazons probably need to keep their numbers up in probably important. I would just like a pick and choice list for both Marston and Perez ideas. Especially with Zeus now being her dad. That didn’t need to be a thing. They could have just used the Fact Hippolyta is a Demi-goddess. I mean Hippolyta has stood up to the gods why not have her due that now
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 09-17-2020 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Is there a plausible, in-story, biological reason why Amazons can't produce children like everyone else does?
    I assumed the whole "Steve is the first man they've seen in thousands of years" was the reason?

Actually I think there could easily be a way. THe Amazons gave up their chance of having children for immorality. They wanted to be left leave even if it meant to protect the doom gate. However a few Amazons which would become the Banas grown tired and left.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Actually I think there could easily be a way. THe Amazons gave up their chance of having children for immorality. They wanted to be left leave even if it meant to protect the doom gate. However a few Amazons which would become the Banas grown tired and left.
    Legend of Wonder Woman by Renae de Liz went that way, but I didn't like it. There is an association that being unable to have children makes you less of a woman or even human, and I'd like to avoid that. (For a recent example, see how MCU handled Black Widow.) De Liz's depiction of the Amazons with two different castes—mortal but fertile and immortal but infertile—also felt distasteful to me. There already is a perfectly sensible reason for why there are no kids on Themyscira—there being no men there—so why invent one?

Tying the Bana-Mighdall to the desire of having children also reduces a central conflict in the Amazon lore to having kids or not, which sort of misses the point of how both Marston and Pérez approached their story: that of trying to teach mankind, but then being rejected by them. Viewed from that angle, it undermines the central conflict between the Amazons of Themyscira and the Bana-Mighdall.

Is it possible to make a story of the Amazons where the decision of having children, or the inability to have children, have a major part? Yes. But I see so many ways in which such a story can become a trainwreck of "one true way to be a woman" or go against the original construction of the Amazons that I really hope DC never goes there.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I mean in Marston’s all the children were made from clay. Since there are no men maybe much like how the Amazons themselves were reincarnated maybe some of the girls are reborn for the Amazons who want children ?