Page 1 of 117 123451151101 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-Men #7 SPOILERS

Oh, boy.

The issue begins with Melody Guthrie waking up in the Akademos Habitat. She enters the kitchen to have her morning coffee. Husk, Sam, and Skin are waiting for her with concerned faces. They inform Melody that word has come from the Quiet Council. Today is THE CRUCIBLE(dun dun dun!).

We cut to Logan and Scott enjoying their morning coffee on the moon habitat. There’s some sexually charged innuendo. Scott invites Logan to join him and Jean on a field trip to Chandilore. The conversation settles on The Crucible. Scott is conflicted. He doesn’t know if they’re doing the right thing. Logan flippantly suggests he talk to a priest. (Keep in mind we don’t actually know what The Crucible is yet)

We cut to Scott strolling through the jungle. He stumbles upon Douglas, Krakoa, and Warlock(!!) having a conversation. Scott is flabbergasted, does a double take, but Warlock is gone (what are you up to, Dougie?).

Scott continues on until he finds Kurt perched on a cliff overlooking the landscape. This begins a philosophical conversation between Scott and Kurt that lasts the rest of the issue. Basically, Kurt is reeling from Krakoa. He’s filled with existential questions:

“It’s true, we have laws and the foundation of some kind of government. But what was it built on? Hope? Anger? Inevitability? Arrogance? What’s at the real center of it?”

“Consider my faith. I can’t help but wonder what happens to our souls when we die?” Do they linger waiting for eternity, or do they return to their mortal vessel when that vessel is reborn, as you and I recently were?”

“Am I really me? Are you really you?”

“Think about it. Mortality. If one cannot die — if one is immortal — then what lure is eternity?”
    Kurt and Scott make their way through the forests. They walk past Exodus teaching mutant children about M-Day and The Crucible. We learn that The Crucible is a sort of ritual for re-powering the victims of Wanda Maximoff(The Pretender). Apparently, de-powered mutants have to die so they can be resurrected by The Five with their powers intact.

The pair arrive at a colosseum where all of Krakoa is gathered. In the middle is an arena with Apocalypse and Melody Guthrie standing, each wielding a sword. Apocalypse speaks of the folly of humanity and the glory of mutants. He questions Melody’s identity. Apocalypse says that Krakoa will not accept de-powered mutants simply killing themselves to regain their powers. Their will, strength, character, and loyalty to Krakoa must be tested in combat. They must fight and die to prove their worth. Only then can they be reborn as mutant. This is The Crucible.

Melody puts up a good fight, proves her strength to Apocalypse, and is swiftly put down. We cut to her resurrection. She is welcomed back to life by Storm, Charles, and Apocalypse. She expresses her gratitude and is embraced by the crowd gathered around her. She rises into the air with a radiant smile. Mutant once again.

End issue.

This is all so weird. Fun. But super weird. And OOC. There’s for sure some big reveal coming down the line that flips this whole thing on its ear. The X-men standing by and watching a former enemy engage in brutally killing one of their own, even understanding that she’ll he brought back whole, is just weird AF. Surely someone suggested just putting her down peacefully, no? Lethal injection not an option on Krakoa?

BANNED

oh its super meal and puts krakoa away from silly human traditions

At long last, a hint of Warlock! That was the best thing of that issue.

Kurt wants to start a new religion? Well, good for him. Screw Jesus and Mo. Why would they keep religions created by humans if they think they are so much better than them?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Oh my god, ICARUS!!!!!

This was the weirdest and most unsettling issue to date. I loved it but I'm anticipating some major backlash.

Also that Cypher scene was chilling. What the hell is going on

BANNED

its absolutly alien ,but also chilling powerfull that mutants embrace death like this, its for a long time their only unifying cultural trait, now they go into it to be reborn.
    very metal

I found this unsettling. Surely Selene or Emplate would have been a better option then Apocalypse

This was pretty heavy on the "Hickman" while keeping a lot of the character's "Voices" totally intact.

Exodus fit into the bigger picture while never once seeming like the character was compromised in order to achieve it. That was even more so for Apocalypse.

One guy's take, I hope this goes on for as long a it's set to or as long as Hickman is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I found this unsettling. Surely Selene or Emplate would have been a better option then Apocalypse
    Got to politely, but completely, disagree. It would have lost a lot of significance if it had been anyone other than Apocalypse.

Oh and great Wanda insult

BANNED

if people want x-martyrs in the mansion pesker the xoffice for a title and then keep it from the cancelation line, me? im into this high conceptual sci fi take on mutants with interesting characther discussions

BANNED

Listen to your High Priest. Humans are scum.

Extraordinary Member

But what if someone doesn't want to die?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But what if someone doesn't want to die?
    Participating in The Crucible is a choice. You’re not forced to.