Page 58 of 117 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    and she literaly came out of it squeaky clean, everyone forgot about it , no one outside mutants holds her acountable and shes on the earth mightest heroes.
    the mensage it sends is this : you can do what she did as a human and get no consequences, and she can do it again protected by the heroes of humankind
    This is where the in-universe/out-of-universe distinction comes into play. From the reader's point of view, Cyclops came out of AvX squeaky clean, protected against doing anything really bad and with a massive presence in comics. We Wanda stans would have killed for the treatment Scott got.

Instead she was banished from comics for years, spoken of to this day as the greatest villain in the entire world of X-comics, and still hasn't been allowed back on the Avengers roster.

Sure, one or two characters in-universe have said nice things about her, but mostly she's still fighting to get back the ground she lost years ago.

And all because of something that was completely out of character for Wanda Maximoff, proud mutant who was out-and-public when the X-Men were working for the FBI and hiding their identities...

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Sure, I see that. It’s gone from being a safe fantasy about revolution made for the majority to representing a win for a minority AGAINST that majority, and that’s scary.
    I don't think it's scary exactly, though I admit I sometimes find that people talk as though anything the oppressed do to their oppressors is OK, and one of the interesting things about mutant power as a metaphor is that it shows that power is not as evenly distributed as all that - even an oppressed person may have some power to abuse.

In the end though it's all harmless role playing. Someone who identifies with the mutants against the human oppressors isn't going to go out and lead a revolution.
    Last edited by gurkle; 02-26-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    True. She gets to wear an Avengers badge, is seen on television as a hero. That is scary to those that suffered from her spell which we can all agree spiraled down into very dark places.
    So how is this different than Apocalypse being made into High Priest?
    Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Just like being a human being.
    No, because my body doesn't try and blow off my face or turn me into a literal tree. If those things do happen, it's considered a medical condition and it isn't glorified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    who is she? Who are you talking about?
    Oh, crap, I meant Apocalypse and Sinister and Selene. What would happen if a justified country tried to arrest them?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Keep preaching the Words Siblings...even as they fall as droplets on barren, stony ground.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yeah, everyone forgot so much that we totally aren't discussing it right now.

Who said I don't? And part of my problem here is how, in this comic, Apocalypse is talking about how great being a mutant is, but the X-gene turned one guy into a straight up tree. Another kid got his face blown off by his own power.

Being a mutant is a crapshoot.
    in this case its betwen apoc and melody, and her relantionship with her mutant powers that were taken away, she CHOSE to be there and had agency every moment of the crucible, if a depowered mutant wants to stay that way its their choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Ah, the mass grave picture… made to shut the mouth…

What the words are useful for?
    I think that photo is important. It's a major part of why the mutants do what they do.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member

They were born that way. Acceptance of who you are regardless of the trials and tribulations - I don't think that's a bad message.
    How is it "acceptance" when a guy is telling you that you're weak and small for something completely out of your control? That is what a cult does.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    And Apocalypse can end nations, Sinister can do all sorts of evil ****, Exodus can murder gods, Fucking Selene has committed atrocities against humans and mutants, and all of them are living on Krakoa completely protected with no consequences what's the difference?
    Anyone can end a nation. Look at America’s current President and all the hard work he’s doing to ensure America falls apart.
    Anyone can do all sorts of evil ****. Look at Jeff Bezos, hoarding billions while abusing his employees.
    Exodus can murder gods, sure, but has he? And...don’t some gods frankly deserve to be murdered...?
    Selene has committed atrocities. And she’s under constant watchful observation, I’m sure. Not gallivanting around the world as a beloved superhero after nearly wiping out an entire race.

Look, I don’t hate Wanda. I hate what the writers made her do. And I hate that no writer seems to think she needs to show contrition for what she did. GENUINE contrition would go a long way towards redeeming the character, but no...they just keep writing her as an anti-mutant racist with zero empathy for the lives she destroyed.

Cassandra Nova committed the larger genocide. No argument. She is a MUCH bigger monster than Wanda will EVER be.

But she isn’t a beloved-by-the-world Avenger. She isn’t jetting around the world as a celebrity. She isn’t being presented as a hero by every narrative but the one she devastated...

krakoa is a nation who is not bound to black or white, but moraly grey and pragmatic decisions, like the decision to make sure mutant kind is united and more powerfull than ever, and its rightfully contested by outsiders and x-men alike.
    it doesnt clear the, of their sins just gives themse a chance of living in a community from this point forward.

wanda commited genocide and is immediatly a member of a prestigious team of super heroes that claim to be he creme de la creme of heroism and goodness to protect the entire planet.
    And Apocalypse, Sinister, Magneto, and Exodus all whom have committed horrible crimes against thousands are being exalted on Krakoa and worshiped as saviors and gods, your argument is flawed.

Oh, crap, I meant Apocalypse and Sinister and Selene. What would happen if a justified country tried to arrest them?
    It would likely be war as those 3 arent likely to surrender. They'd have the backing of Krakoa as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    She got kicked out by Vision after Children's crusade.
    and carried in tears by carol while every other avenger defends her

They were born that way. Acceptance of who you are regardless of the trials and tribulations - I don't think that's a bad message.
    When you love someone, you don't want anything bad happen to him…
    Babies are born everyday with fatal diseases. They were born that way… we don't let them die, do we?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

If you don't eat your vegetables the big bad witch will come for you. Love that Hickman acknowledged this
    Attached Images Attached Images

All-New Member

re: the Cypher/Warlock/Krakoa scene...not a dissimilar vibe:

AF20084E-10C7-498D-80B9-7D99B391ABFA.jpg

and carried in tears by carol while every other avenger defends her
    Carol should have dropped her in a volcano
    Attached Images Attached Images

So how is this different than Apocalypse being made into High Priest?
    He's shown dedication to the cause and he's a mutant. The plan is to unite mutants, as risky as that may be.

How is it "acceptance" when a guy is telling you that you're weak and small for something completely out of your control? That is what a cult does.
    When did that happen? He tells Melody that if she wants to live her life as a human, "there's nothing wrong with that".
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!