Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I mean, the warlock arm has been a thing forever. It's just they never extrapolated anything about the whole Warlock thing and it just is there.

sitting there

menacingly
    As Askani's Flame mentioned, they showed Doug infecting Krakoa in HoX/PoX (which is what I was referring to). I just can't find much to get excited about since it will probably be another dozen issues before we get anymore about this, and I already spent too much time theorizing about it back in the minis.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    of course not.
    What do you think Henry VIII or Martin Luther did?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Haven't read this issue yet (work awaits. ) But Jesus diggory doo! Sounds wild as #$@&!

Gotta saaaaay though, really getting sick of mutants talking about humans like bitchy eight grade teenagers. Humans are such liars! Humans are soooooo jealous!

Even the three thousand year old blueberry with the broadsword can't do anything but but equivicate and compare. Stop being Gretchen, Apocalypse.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Astonishing Member

Kinda funny how they constantly complain about humans here, humans there, even though they are still entirely human in personality, mentality, cultural design and goals. They never threw it off and never will be able to. And here they engage in maybe the most cliché presentation of tribal rituals and behaviour a writer can think of. All while not noticing the irony. What might be an attempt to distance themself from their hated idea of "humans" makes them even more noticable human.

That's the thing that likely makes this whole new setup not work for me and makes me think it's set up to implode violently by Hickman's design. Which is why i can't get engaged in these series, since i'm just sitting back and trying to figure out what will ultimately lit the fuse to the metric tons of gunpowder underneath the whole Krakoa era.
    The whole humans vs mutants thing just doesn't work because mutants are humans too and will never be anything else, besides having build in super powers. Any attempt at distancing them from an idea of "humanity" is bound to fail because otherwise readers can't understand them. So all that is happening is them being slightly moved away from the civilization norms and laws the reader is used, while never fully leaving the sphere of base human behaviour.

What's funny is that even the blue humans (Homo Nova something) from Moira's sixth life are guilty of this. Having all the super powers they can dream of but ultimately displaying the most base human social structure, failings and ultimately fears.

On the other hand i guess that's why this setup is so engaging to many readers, because it presents the whole "super powered human race" as attempt at civilization building.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Haven't read the thread but I wanted to post my thoughts first. Brilliant issue, it was compelling and disturbing at the same time. I was equally weirded out and impressed.

This was F***** crazy.

Well not we know how depowered mutants can get their powers back.

And now we know that mostly the younger generation is ok with it.

And that the Quiet Council had to make a plan in case any depowered mutants wanted to kill themselves to be repowered.

This is a lot to take in.

But not even in a bad way to me.

It's just like wow I did not expect the X-Men to be okay with this.

Also sidebar: I wish it was Wind Dancer.

But I get the Guthrie's are a stronger family name.

The Crucible is going to be really weird if Leah Williams uses it in her upcoming trans storyline.

As long as the process is not mandatory, I don't see any problems.

Although I cannot blame anyone for criticizing traditions and culture different from their own, it only shows how arrogant we are. There are several human cultures that challenge what many consider appropriate, which has even spawned holy wars, yet it is not as if we could force countries or people to be Christians or Muslims by ignoring free will. In that sense Krakoa is free to have its own traditions, culture or religion as long as the choice is allowed. Besides, it's not as if Krakoa is unbeatable, inevitably mutants are going to have to fight to maintain their paradise.

From Philly but currently living iin San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    He’s shown. That cutiepie.
    Is he the cutiepie that betrayed his kind and got a bus full of kids blown up?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Kinda funny how they constantly complain about humans here, humans there, even though they are still entirely human in personality, mentality, cultural design and goals. They never threw it off and never will be able to. And here they engage in maybe the most cliché presentation of tribal rituals and behaviour a writer can think of. All while not noticing the irony. What might be an attempt to distance themself from their hated idea of "humans" makes them even more noticable human.

That's the thing that likely makes this whole new setup not work for me and makes me think it's set up to implode violently by Hickman's design. Which is why i can't get engaged in these series, since i'm just sitting back and trying to figure out what will ultimately lit the fuse to the metric tons of gunpowder underneath the whole Krakoa era.
    The whole humans vs mutants thing just doesn't work because mutants are humans too and will never be anything else, besides having build in super powers. Any attempt at distancing them from an idea of "humanity" is bound to fail because otherwise readers can't understand them. So all that is happening is them being slightly moved away from the civilization norms and laws the reader is used, while never fully leaving the sphere of base human behaviour.

What's funny is that even the blue humans (Homo Nova something) from Moira's sixth life are guilty of this. Having all the super powers they can dream of but ultimately displaying the most base human social structure, failings and ultimately fears.

On the other hand i guess that's why this setup is so engaging to many readers, because it presents the whole "super powered human race" as attempt at civilization building.
    Virtually all societies in fiction are based on concepts of anthropocentrism, however alien they may be. And when they are not, they are usually concepts that still humans can understand perfectly as Hive Queens similar to ants and bees.

In the end, the reader and the writer is human, it has to be based on something. Like, Kree is just "alien fascism", Skrull is "alien whatever" and the Shi'ar is "alien Rome".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    bro xavier was literaly in the audience.
    The events of this issue make it clear that, whoever that is, it ain't Xavier.

And I'm not your bro.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    they are killing disabled people, only difference is that they come back
    Spirit, I'm normally with you fam, but BEING HUMAN IS NOT A DISABILITY!!!! Don't let the cult drive you crazy.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Well this issue was unsettling. Even if death and rebirth is the only way to restore their powers, there are other, painless ways they could do it. This just felt ritualistic and savage. And for what, to prove you deserve your God given gifts that were taken from you back? Whats worse, is the fact that most of the X-Men, who had been teachers and protectors of them to sit and watch even if they question it. Really makes me wonder just what limits they’re willing to just sit and abide to before enough is enough.

Mighty Member

Like seriously, is nobody besides Kirk questioning Krakoa's ability to just spontaneously make buildings of your dreams?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Virtually all societies in fiction are based on concepts of anthropocentrism, however alien they may be. And when they are not, they are usually concepts that still humans can understand perfectly as Hive Queens similar to ants and bees.

In the end, the reader and the writer is human, it has to be based on something. Like, Kree is just "alien fascism", Skrull is "alien whatever" and the Shi'ar is "alien Rome".
    Indeed. Perhaps this will be the point in the end.
    That is if there is a downfall situation in design. It's just my assumption after all. But i can't see it lasting long beyond Hickman so i hope the end is planned instead of getting shoved in by new writers and editors, with the usual result of dissapointment by reader.