Page 40 of 117 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Really nice take on it. Really shows some hipocrisy for mutants.

Not a good look the minority starts to get dangerous and cultish.
    Asking them to take the abuse with grace is wrong on so many levels.

BANNED

wanda literally will never face any consequences for her actions since shes priveledged as all sin, words that reflect the crushing trauma and fear of her actions wont actually hurt her, since in uncanny avengers she deadass says she doesnt care about mutants, even in her solo she wishes agatha told her not to worry about mutants because mags was not her dad

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    They are their powers and what? Nothing else? Here, on this forum, it is about who has the most raw power…
    I'm gay and my sexuality defines me in certain ways. They're mutants and their gifts define them in certain ways. Simple as that.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    First of all, they're not fighting Wanda but Orchis, the Children of the Vault etc. She's just a tale that is being told, they're not even going after her (yet).

Second... Have you ever read an X-Men comic? There's been persecution, genocide and experimentation on them and they should still be graceful? And take the abuse?
    No, I'm saying that is how they have always been written - that was Xavier's dream, take it, smile, hope for the better tomorrow and dont kill them back.

I am saying this new story is a total 180 of that, old dream be damned, but that the new dream is being written as one that mirrors real world cults and extremism. How you view that new mentality is your own bag.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I'm gay and my sexuality defines me in certain ways. They're mutants and their gifts define them in certain ways. Simple as that.
    They have been defined in a human society not a mutant society. Surely it means something special to be different but in a mutant society, everyone is different.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    No, I'm saying that is how they have always been written - that was Xavier's dream, take it, smile, hope for the better tomorrow and dont kill them back.

I am saying this new story is a total 180 of that, old dream be damned, but that the new dream is being written as one that mirrors real world cults and extremism. How you view that new mentality is your own bag.
    because the dream was an idealistic crock of **** that only works if mutants are the perfect minority that never has a semblance of human flaws, that have to do all the work to get minimal decent treatment, and even then most mutants had miserable lives and were villainfied the moment they fought back, and then their treatment was justified by their inability to follow the "dream"
    that narrative was toxic juvinile nonsense and im glad xavier himself killed it

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Really nice take on it. Really shows some hipocrisy for mutants.

Not a good look the minority starts to get dangerous and cultish.
    I think the message at the end of the story is going to be that what happens/ed on Krakoa when it all comes tumbling down (and it totally will) was awful and there is going to be a lot of recriminations and soul searching....but that the only reason what is happening was able to happen is because mutants are so persecuted they felt the only way to move things forward was to be like that.

I dont think this story will end up as a moral triumph for anyone, but rather a blast for both sides of any debate that extremism in any form leads to awful things.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    because the dream was an idealistic crock of **** that only works if mutants are the perfect minority that never has a semblance of human flaws, that have to do all the work to get minimal decent treatment, and even then most mutants had miserable lives and were villainfied the moment they fought back, and then their treatment was justified by their inability to follow the "dream"
    that narrative was toxic juvinile nonsense and im glad xavier himself killed it
    One extreme to another…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Xavier was always a spineless idiot embracing bs respectability politics and the model minority myth. These things dont work irl and havent worked in comics either. So now he's getting smart. Good for him.

They are their powers and what? Nothing else? Here, on this forum, it is about who has the most raw power…
    Just like LGBT+ people are not heterosexual. They come from heterosexuality, but are not, and should not be beholden to, heteronormativity. We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it.

Just like black people are not just like white people, but with melanin (and don’t say It don’t see color’, please. That’s a whole OTHER problematic can of worms...) The culture, the history, is different from the ‘default’ white ‘normal’ that we have all been forced to accept. We should not expect them to be ‘normal’ for us. They should be normal for them, and we in the ‘default’ white culture can damn well adjust.

Your demand that mutants take on and maintain the attributes, culture, and expectations/prejudices of their abusers and oppressors is gross. Mutants are not human. They are mutants. They come from humans, but are not human. “They’re here, not flatscans. Your opinion belongs in the trash can.”
    Last edited by zinderel; 02-26-2020 at 04:01 PM.

They have been defined in a human society not a mutant society. Surely it means something special to be different but in a mutant society, everyone is different.
    “Gay people have always been defined in a heterosexual society not a mutant society. Surely it means something special to be different, but in queer society, everyone is different.”

“Black people have always been defined in a white society not a black society. Surely it means something special to be different, but in black society, everyone is different.”

“Jewish people have always been defined in a non-Jewish society. Surely it means something special to be different, but in Jewish society, everyone is different.”

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    Just like LGBT+ people are not heterosexual. They come from heterosexuality, but are not, and should not be beholden to, heteronormativity. We’re here, we’re queer, get used to it.

Just like black people are not just like white people, but with melanin (and don’t say It don’t see color’, please. That’s a whole OTHER problematic can of worms...) The culture, the history, is different from the ‘default’ white ‘normal’ that we have all been forced to accept. We should not expect them to be ‘normal’ for us. They should be normal for them, and we in the ‘default’ white culture can damn well adjust.

Your demand that mutants take on and maintain the attributes, culture, and expectations/prejudices of their abusers and oppressors is gross. Mutants are not human. They are mutants. They come from humans, but are not human. They’re here. Not flatscans. Your opinion belongs in the trash can.
    My opinion belongs to me: I see them as humans with a X-gene. They can see themselves as the author wants, I don't care.

I see no parallel with the real world as a culture. As extremism, yes, many exemples…

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Xavier was always a spineless idiot embracing bs respectability politics and the model minority myth. These things dont work irl and havent worked in comics either. So now he's getting smart. Good for him.
    Xavier is still idealistic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I think it's better with the edit.
    You re welcome witch.

Will Wanda be Mutant's Satan in Nightcrawler's Krakoan religion.