Page 105 of 117 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1743

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think people are reading into what they want to, and Hickman left it like that. Ultimately the 'problem' was never really explained, or, at least, not in any convincing way. What we got was something the reader could easily latch on to, and then it jumps straight to a 'solution', but one that seems much more advantageous in proposal rather than practical.

In short, yes, the only purpose is to let Apocalypse choose the strong.
    … and having the leading role.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wanda's wack ass depowered MILLIONS. If even half or 1/3rd of them decided to commit suicide at once then how the hell is Krakoa supposed to trace all of their deaths, collect their DNA and collect their memories (I don't think that's possible at all). And that's not even getting into the actual resurrection process and how that would affect The Five's bandwidth and the already long list of dead mutants waiting to be resurrected.
    Can't really use the millions thing since Hickman put a HARD number cap on it. And there's an upcoming story by hickman that has them set to tackle Genosha's deaths, which ARE literal millions.

The circle doesn't square.

And even if it did, it still sounding like Apocalypse bullshit of blaming the victims.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think people are reading into what they want to, and Hickman left it like that. Ultimately the 'problem' was never really explained, or, at least, not in any convincing way. What we got was something the reader could easily latch on to, and then it jumps straight to a 'solution', but one that seems much more advantageous in proposal rather than practical.

In short, yes, the only purpose is to let Apocalypse choose the strong.
    Apocalpyse mythos are one of the coolest concepts that most writers tend to ignore. I believe there is a great oppurtunity to explore.

Hickman was questioning the resurrection protocols himself and he particularly knows that fans wanted some explanation or a hint behind this concept. I think there will be a certain explanation with x of swords given they are teasing that "DoX is broken".
    Last edited by Vishop; 03-02-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Mighty Member

Anybody who's not high on the koolaid would have told you DoX was broken from day one off of them bringing in Shaw and the fact that Sinister is right there, being mr. Sinister.

Hell in HoX when they go recruit him, Hickman puts extra effort to have Sinister go "Lol, Xavier and Magneto are fucking chumps."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    It isn't perfect, but it gives mutants an avenue to get resurrected without suicide. Essentially, it gives them an honorable death. If you don't go through it, you probably won't be resurrected.
    With the greatest of respect, Crucible totally is suicide. Apocalypse is the weapon, but stepping into that Arena with him is no different from putting a gun to your head or a needle in your arm, if you make the decision to go through with it you're just as dead.

Suicide by External.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Can't really use the millions thing since Hickman put a HARD number cap on it. And there's an upcoming story by hickman that has them set to tackle Genosha's deaths, which ARE literal millions.

The circle doesn't square.

And even if it did, it still sounding like Apocalypse bullshit of blaming the victims.
    Okay MILLION but that's still a huge number and even a mass suicide of thousands (or hundreds) would royally screw the resurrection protocols or the depowered mutants killing themselves. Genosha being an even longer list dooms the people committing unchecked suicide even more.

And again, The Crucible is a choice. Apocalypse gave Melody the option to walk even midway into the fight but she wasn't taking it. I think he is decorating it as an honourable death and focusing on how depowered mutants simply killing themselves would be "heartbreaking" for Krakoa to sweeten the deal. But it still stands that unchecked mass suicide is a logistical disaster that The Crucible alleviates to a huge degree.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=BroHomo;4867248]Errr Im not sure those 1st 2 books your mentioned make sense in the example you're trying to make. [B][COLOR="#008000"]PLUUUSSS ...

I simply picked out stories with duplicity as the hallmark behind the utopian facade.That is all. Magnus and Xavier are already starting with lies to Mystique, the rest is just going to snowball

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    You mean you'll feel safer/ok with someone possessing a weapon they know NOTHING about, Or has ever even seen before Over a person with a flame thrower and an ex wife who was a pyromaniac? That seems incredibly irresponsible, Almost as irresponsible as they Earths most Hypocritcal Heroes, going to space to eFF with the PF in the first place. But the outcome tells more than any poster ever could. Cyclops and the P5 improved the living conditions of a vast number of HUMAN beings but Cyclops was the cause of the accidental death of Xavier.
    While Wanda....well. she ended mutants across multiple timelines, erased whole communities.
    At those times, she was considered as a mutant, so a mutant did that to other mutants.

A mutant was too powerful for the good of her own species.

What you're saying is advocating for a control of mutants, so the human were right.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BRILLIANT review of X-Men #7 by Kayleigh Hearn of WWAC
    https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/20...mortal-xombat/

And from the mouth of babes comes a clumsy explanation of Crucible: “It’s where a broken mutant has to die so they can be an unbroken mutant.” The unfortunate use of “broken” aside, that’s close enough. Nightcrawler, the swashbuckler-saint of the X-Men, guides us along with Cyclops to the arena, explaining Crucible’s origins; this is an ideal role for the character because we trust him innately. His questions are our questions. One of the gifts of the Resurrection Protocols is that depowered mutants can be reborn with their powers restored; of course, you can’t be reborn without dying first. Crucible is an act of ritual combat in which a depowered mutant will fight Apocalypse to the death so that they can be reborn – and that’s exactly what happens when Melody, clad in an X-Men training uniform and a flower crown like a sacrificial maiden, steps into the arena. It’s violent. It’s brutal. It’s tough to read. But here’s the brilliant thing – it never feels like a defeat. It’s a victory.

Crucible is a ritual of choice. That choice is immediately offered to Melody; her sister Husk stresses that Crucible will happen only “If you want it.” And during combat with Apocalypse, she’s offered an exit and healing, but she refuses. Rather than accept victimhood, she overturns it – she can’t pick up a sword and fight Scarlet Witch or the human bigots that would kill her, but she can fight Apocalypse, whose particular brand of pompous negging takes the form of any self-doubts and self-recriminations Melody has had since she was depowered. Leinil Francis Yu, returning to regular art duties after being away for two issues, does fantastic work during this fight scene; it looks like it hurts, with Melody alternating taking Apocalypse’s blows like a broken doll and standing up, fists raised, bloody but unbowed. She’s fighting for herself, her true self, and she will no longer be depowered or diminished in man’s world. Why is she here, Apocalypse asks? “To fight and die for my people. Like a mutant.” But death for mutants doesn’t necessarily mean what it used to. Melody isn’t choosing the abyss, but survival.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    BuT WHy DoEs iT hAvE tO bE sO ViOLenT???

Astonishing Member

This is such a good review. Definitely makes me think of the whole issue in a new light.

Yet another conspiracy theory/reason to hate on the current status quo blown out of the water...

I was explaining the controversy regarding Crucible to a friend last night. She doesn’t read comics, but is familiar with the X-Men thanks to movies and the 90’s cartoon. So I gave her a brief ‘since the 90’s, this is what’s happened, and this is the current status quo’ explanation, and then explained the argument for Crucible within the context of Mutants as trauma survivors building their own rituals. I went over some of the arguments for and against Crucible that have come up here. She listened, and when I brought up that some people were freaking out about the ritual, she got a confused look.

Her: “Wait. People don’t get it? Why?”
    Me: “They’re comparing it to Roman gladiatorial games and assisted suicide.”
    Her: “Well. It IS kinda like assisted Suicide, but you said that death doesn’t matter anymore?”
    Me: “Correct. For mutants, Death was an ever-present thing. They’ve figured out how to beat it, and the whole point of the ritual is to disseminate to those depowered by Wanda that Suicide isn’t the way to regain yourself. Suicide isn’t the answer.”
    Her: “Right, cause that’d clog up whatever the system of coming back is, right?”
    Me: “Yes. So instead, they create this ritual, with formalized speech, and trial by combat.”
    Her: “Because they’re all used to fighting and struggling to prove themselves in a world that wants them dead. So why are people freaking out?”
    Me: “Because the guy running it is Apocalypse.”
    Her: “He’s, like, the oldest mutant ever, right? He probably knows a thing or two about fighting death and the rise and fall of civilizations, I bet. So they’re mad that a guy who knows what he’s doing and is familiar with struggle and proving your fitness to survive (that’s him, right? From the movie?) is promoting a struggle to prove your fitness to survive instead of suicide?”
    Me: “Yes. He even specifically says that if she wanted to live as a human, he wouldn’t stop her. So no one is being forced to do this.”
    Her: “And people like Rogue could choose NOT to get their powers back?”
    Me: “Yes. Though she hasn’t lost her powers and doesn't kill with a touch anymore.”
    Her: Well, but still. So this sounds like therapy to me. I mean, obviously comic booked up, but... It’s a way for these people to take back control of their life after having something vital to them taken by force. The didn’t choose to lose part of themself, part of their identity, right? So, like...this gives them a way to reclaim who they were before their ‘assault’. I get it. By going through this Crucible thing, they prove to their peers that they’re willing to fight for mutants, they know their death isn’t permanent, and they get to put the suffering they’re going through as a half a person after being assaulted, behind them. I get it. Why are people freaking out?”
    Last edited by zinderel; 03-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It hits all the important 'bullet points' succinctly.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Okay MILLION but that's still a huge number and even a mass suicide of thousands (or hundreds) would royally screw the resurrection protocols or the depowered mutants killing themselves. Genosha being an even longer list dooms the people committing unchecked suicide even more.

And again, The Crucible is a choice. Apocalypse gave Melody the option to walk even midway into the fight but she wasn't taking it. I think he is decorating it as an honourable death and focusing on how depowered mutants simply killing themselves would be "heartbreaking" for Krakoa to sweeten the deal. But it still stands that unchecked mass suicide is a logistical disaster that The Crucible alleviates to a huge degree.
    What would have happened had she said no?

I've really been trying to give this a chance, but this iteration of the X-Men is nearly unrecognizable to me. They feel more like villains than heroes.