Page 100 of 117 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1743
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I don't find Hickman's X-men in character and Krakoa could have been done with more fidelity with the characters.
    It would have meant more work and a less provocative result.
    The buzz is a part of Marvel's strategy, with each issue, it's: "what have the infamous mutants invented again?"
    Hickman's simply taking the improvements Morrison made (X-Corporation, Genosha) and taking them to the local conclusion. It's very impressive and how it's been written he's self aware that many decisions aren't ethical. He's made Xavier relevant again, and kept him in character for being a dick LOL

bf4bc6c283ff8126c63766acf81ff58d16408230_hq-255x300.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    "Not working" as in the characters were stuck repeating the same plot points from Claremont, from the 90's, as well as being stuck in the same cycle of downtrodden mutants staving off Extinction. It's why HoX/PoX was so successful and drew in a lot of old readers who felt the X-Men were growing stagnant.

As for radical changers I agree. It was bold. It was experimental. And it was a success. It managed to push past a lot of things that were holding these character's back while still acknowledging their past. The tired drama of Jean vs Emma and Scott vs Logan is done a way with in a unexpected manner. Cyclops no longer has a raging hate boner for Magneto and Xavier and as for other members of the X-Men being ok with the NoK well thats just simply not true. Their have been plenty X-Men who've expressed worries and even discontent with Krakoa the stories are just slowly rolling out.
    All of this, and as I recall, the comics WERE losing sales, slowly. They were poorly reviewed by professionals AND fans. The franchise had both grown stale AND begin angering longtime fans, while also failing to bring in new fans. Hickman, like him or not, has made X-Men relevant again, in a way they haven’t really been since the 90’s. There are cohesive threads throughout the books that feel like the franchise has purpose and direction again. I’m not blind to its flaws, but I don’t think Hickman is either. Having read his other work, I think he knows what he’s doing and asking as we give him room to work, the end result will be well worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Hickman's simply taking the improvements Morrison made (X-Corporation, Genosha) and taking them to the local conclusion. It's very impressive and how it's been written he's self aware that many decisions aren't ethical. He's made Xavier relevant again, and kept him in character for being a dick LOL

bf4bc6c283ff8126c63766acf81ff58d16408230_hq-255x300.jpg
    I'm not very familiar with Morrison's work but the thing with making dubious storytelling decisions is to generate debate.
    I would prefer that these debates happen more in the comic than in the boards.

And this "Professor Xavier is a jerk!" is just a stupid thing a pissed-off teenager Kitty Pryde said because Charles Xavier didn't want she risked her life being an X-woman.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

We reached 100 pages! And it’s less than a week since the issue came out! Good or bad, people are talking about the X-Men, clearly, and that’s great!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shankarma1 View Post
    So anyone got any ideas about the warlock situation
    It could be that Krakoa was granting Doug’s hearts desire*; to have his best friend back as a separate entity.
    It could be Krakoa, Doug and Warlock planning on something bad.
    Or something good.

*as with how everything is going right for Scott. as with how Krakoa has designed Kurt’s dream house/cathedral

Astonishing Member

I'm not very familiar with Morrison's work but the thing with making dubious storytelling decisions is to generate debate.
    I would prefer that these debates happen more in the comic than in the boards.
    I'd like to see those debates in the comics myself. You should read his run.

And this "Professor Xavier is a jerk!" is just a stupid thing a pissed-off teenager Kitty Pryde said because Charles Xavier didn't want she risked her life being an X-woman.
    Xavier being a jerk is a thing which goes outside that. He was insufferable in the 90's when he got his legs back, for example. Kitty survived her first night alone, trapped in the X-Mansion with a Brood!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Majority of readers are taking krakoa as inherently good
    I never read books with Krakoa as explicit villain,but remember like Krakoa feeds on mutant energy, that would mean as much as Krakoa provides all these goodies to mutants,it's some sort of Logan's run/Giver/Matrix society structure to keep them dependent on it, and maybe it needs them to survive but they don't.If this is true Krakoa will someday bare it's fangs.

Spectacular Member

Xavier being a jerk is a thing which goes outside that. He was insufferable in the 90's when he got his legs back, for example. Kitty survived her first night alone, trapped in the X-Mansion with a Brood![/QUOTE]

A N'Gari demon, not a brood, but that aside, it's been a long time since Xavier hasn't been alternately an arrogant dick and a caring mentor to most everyone around him, often at the same time. He's very human in that way, which is something most of the X-Leadership (Ororo aside, mostly) share as a character trait.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I never read books with Krakoa as explicit villain,but remember like Krakoa feeds on mutant energy, that would mean as much as Krakoa provides all these goodies to mutants,it's some sort of Logan's run/Giver/Matrix society structure to keep them dependent on it, and maybe it needs them to survive but they don't.If this is true Krakoa will someday bare it's fangs.
    It's worth bearing in mind that Krakoa as a mutant refuge/nation/X-Man seems to have come out of Moira's 9th life as Apocalypse's consort, which I think will come to the fore as a plot-point as this era of X-history advances. All we're seeing (and reacting to) is how the leadership of Xavier and Magneto is changing the mutant paradigm, but we should never forget that all of this is Moira's plan, based on her memories of what does and does not work, and the closest she ever came to ensuing Mutant survival was when she had En Sabah Nur as her point-man.

I'm fairly sure that we'll discover there was a lot more in that memory crystal Moira absorbed at the end of Life 9 than just the origin of Nimrod, maybe even the stored memories of 'her' Apocalypse, just waiting to be downloaded into a fit, young body or, alternately, passed on to the current Apocalypse when and if needed.

Moira's plan is for mutantkind in general and mutantkind's ideological leaders in particular to come together as a unified whole with Krakoa as a sovereign base, but that doesn't necessarily mean she intends Xavier and Magneto to be the guys in charge when the fit hits the shan. Who's Krakoa's big, blue bestie again?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I think Hickman will show Magneto´s pov sooner or later on Wanda but my guess is that he personally doesn´t think there´s much left to be said, her being possesed isn´t reason to make the depowered mutants feel better because there was a will behind her choice, it´s like when Scott killed Xavier under the phoenix force influence, no X-man and even Magneto who was still an ally of Scott after that thought he was 100% innocent, they understood what happened enough not to send him to the Avengers after he scaped? yes Did they thought he was 100% innocent? No at all.
    I disagree with the parallel you made between those two:
    Wanda's choice was ill-informed, given she had no idea the Life Force both could and would possess her as It ended-up doing.
    In fact, she couldn't have possibly known that given the Life Force had never been seen before in the Marvel Universe, let alone tapped into.
    It was new territory.
    Countrary to Scott who was well informed about the corruptive nature of the Phoenix force long before he ever ended-up being one of its host, and clung to it anyway even when he had the Opportunity to relinquish it to Hope during the saga.
    That's where most of the grievances against Scott came from in the aftermath of AvX, and that's why he doesn't have as much leeway as Wanda regarding both their ordeals imo.

That being said, I understand that Decimation was so hurtful to mutantkind, it would seem pointless to highlight what and why it occured, but I still thinks Magneto should plow through and speak the Truth regardless of said "pointlessness", given he used to see her as his daughter, and given his own involvement in it.
    Besides, knowing and understanding why tragédies occurs can help avoiding those from occuring again in the future.

The truth is that she absolutely made a Hex that affected ppl who had nothing to do with her family spat while holding a power she chose to seek to get back her children, so I don´t think it´s a surprise not even that was enough to convince the X-men she was 100% innocent. They already have Jean´s example with the Dark Phoenix and not even her being possesed by the phoenix force was enough for even "Jean" to say she was completely innocent so from the X-men perspective why should it be different with Wanda?
    She did, while being possessed by the Life Force the whole time.
    They Don't have to like her, sure.
    They Don't have to pretend the possession didn't happen either.
    It's hypocritical, especially when we know most of those guys have been possessed in the past and have done terrible things while Under said possessions.
    They know the Truth but they kept it to themselves as far as we can tell, that's really not impressive.

I don´t think this would ever happen there´s way too much bad blood for her to think on fairness lest remember she still got angry at him because he killed red skull after he build a concentration camp in the middle of Genosha the same day he was mentally and tortured by him so I doubt she would be much different even if he inded was possesed by something.
    We can agree to disagree on that then, I give her much more credit regarding her ability to empathize with someone being possessed, even if it's Magneto himself.

Their Endgame is to keep the people that build super sentinels and nimrods out of enough political and economic power to keep attacking Krakoa so they get neutralized that way without firing shots, that´s what Magneto meant by saying they wanted to avoid a War.
    No, that's the tactics they'll be using to reach their goal, not the actual goal itself, you are mixing the two things.
    Xavier gave said goal in its speech to the world, and Magneto further asserted it at Davos: the mutants will dominate the planet, because they are its "true" inheritors (according, again, to Xavier).
    The purpose of Krakoa is to ensure this happens, the tactics they'll use are the means to go about it.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Its interesting to me that people are automatically assuming broad based discrimination against certain types of mutants when that runs counter to everything we've seen and been told about Krakoa so far. And, for the record no, the "ban" on precogs isn't broad based discrimination, its done in secret, catering to one person and enabled by two more. To the best of our knowledge the rest of Krakoa isn't even aware of it.
    So? The discrimination being done in full display of everyone or in the back of all Kraked with only an handfull of them being aware of it, isn't relevant here.

The fact that said discrimination is happening at all is what's relevant.

That ban of the precogs absolutely is discrimination against them.
    The act of Crucible barring the Depowered from what is rightfully theirs is also a form of discrimination against them.

As readers aware of those pieces of information, why wouldn't we discuss this as a result?
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Errr Im not sure those 1st 2 books your mentioned make sense in the example you're trying to make. PLUUUSSS Its been stated at least TWICE Krakoa has enough mutants now that it can leech a tiny bit of energy from each mutant. On the flip to that KraKoa is sooo big that mutant energy vampires like Selene/Emplate can survive on feeding from the island itself

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Wanda's choice was ill-inform ed, given she had no idea the Life Force both could and would possess her as It ended-up doing.
    In fact, she couldn't have possibly known that given the Life Force had never been seen before in the Marvel Universe, let alone tapped into.
    It was new territory.
    Countrary to Scott who was well informed about the corruptive nature of the Phoenix force long before he ever ended-up being one of its host, and clung to it anyway even when he had the Opportunity to relinquish it to Hope during the saga.
    That's where most of the grievances against Scott came from in the aftermath of AvX, and that's why he doesn't have as much leeway as Wanda regarding both their ordeals imo.
    You mean you'll feel safer/ok with someone possessing a weapon they know NOTHING about, Or has ever even seen before Over a person with a flame thrower and an ex wife who was a pyromaniac? That seems incredibly irresponsible, Almost as irresponsible as they Earths most Hypocritcal Heroes, going to space to eFF with the PF in the first place. But the outcome tells more than any poster ever could. Cyclops and the P5 improved the living conditions of a vast number of HUMAN beings but Cyclops was the cause of the accidental death of Xavier.
    While Wanda....well. she ended mutants across multiple timelines, erased whole communities

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    No, that's the tactics they'll be using to reach their goal, not the actual goal itself, you are mixing the two things.
    Xavier gave said goal in its speech to the world, and Magneto further asserted it at Davos: the mutants will dominate the planet, because they are its "true" inheritors (according, again, to Xavier).
    The purpose of Krakoa is to ensure this happens, the tactics they'll use are the means to go about it.
    What would be so wrong with that? Humanity had our turn and we haven't been exactly planning for the long stay. I mean we can't even keep our Glaciers cold. Humanity kinda reminds me of the way some people who are used to have 100% of the power/things go smoothly for them Cry foul when it looks like their power/monopoly of the world is starting to Ebb.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Redshipper View Post
    s anyone happy with "House of X"?

Issue #7 of X-Men is insane. The supposedly wondrous mutant nation of Krakoa has always looked racist and culty, but now it's one step away from becoming a sadistic death cult.

Hickman's writing is just odd -- it's like a talented scifi writer with minimal understanding of comics or the X-Men characters took over the book. However, Hickman's been writing comics for years. I could see a writer deciding that the status-quo of the X-Men had to be given a swift kick in the pants, but in Hickman's book very few of the characters even sound like themselves!

I mean... it's not all going to resolve with some kind of "and it was all a dream"-ending? Right? You could make an argument for that with the idea that if Moira's killed, then the current reincarnated timeline (I'm not sure what the heck to call it) will vanish. That's stated pretty explicitly in one of the House/Power of X books.

To me just about all of the characters in this run are being treated badly at worst and oddly at best. Logan is actually coming off best because he's the only one expressing common-sense doubts of what the mutant-society of Krakoa is and where it's going.
    I understand where you are coming from but I genuinely think the X-world couldn't have possibly landed a better writer than Hickman himself to get back on its feet.
    Regardless of how we feel about the directions currently taken and the stories being told, he brings high quality writing to a franchise that desperately needed it.
    Hopefully he'll land the resolution whenever that occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    It counts as like... a ritualistic battle with the intention of dying and be reborn... that you chose to do, i have no idea how to qualify it.
    the closest thing is a surgery: willingly submiting yourself to severe trauma with the intention of healing and recovery.
    it's such a non human concept I cant really say what it is lol.
    Surgery doesn't entails people to rigidly adhere and dedicate their life to a new philosophy/group/nation as a result.
    In that regard, Crucible is closer to blackmail and/or indoctrination than it is to surgery.

Looks more like a sectarian ritual: give up all what you were, your life, suffer and be reborn as a member of group without any individuality. She clearly stated 'to fight and to die for my people'. She died as a person and her new life belongs to her people.
    The ritual was clearly made to turn people into fanatics… the one who passes the test like the ones who watch it.
    Pretty much.

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    What would be so wrong with that? Humanity had our turn and we haven't been exactly planning for the long stay. I mean we can't even keep our Glaciers cold. Humanity kinda reminds me of the way some people who are used to have 100% of the power/things go smoothly for them Cry foul when it looks like their power/monopoly of the world is starting to Ebb.
    So humanity doesn't do a decent job? The mutants just have to wait deflecting the attacks of the extremists.
    It's Magneto's paranoia that makes him think that the best defence is domination.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Shankarma1 View Post
    So anyone got any ideas about the warlock situation
    That was very weird, also considering that whole Technarchy thing in the future.

In Life IX, wasn't Doug completely fused with Krakoa with no signs of Warlock/technorganic parts? Maybe this is one of the differences compared to Life IX Doug/Krakoa that will lead to the fall of the nation. A Dominion might have an easy access to the Island (and might have planted Warlock in).
    Last edited by Veitha; 03-02-2020 at 05:05 AM.