Page 29 of 117 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Every issue since after #2 has been fantastic. So much for thought. Nightcrawler is starting the Cardinal thing already. I wonder if he'll shtump Jean too like CC intended or if Sinister will mix their dna.
    Apocalypse denying depowered mutants the resurrection protocols calls back to him rejecting the idea of a kill no mutant law but also refusing to help the twins from Excalibur because they died at their own hands. Perfect little detail. I cant wait for Wanda to get dragged in this bitch ngl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Welcome home, sweetness. I was very happy to see your family as well.

Mutant and proud.

One less and millions yet to come .

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Can Kurt still be a Christian while founding a new religion?
    I hope not. Kurt’s faith in a religion that has actively oppressed minorities and committed atrocities has long been one of my least favorite aspects of his character. Not saying it’s bad or good, objectively, just that I am over it and have been for a long time. Krakoa getting its own spiritual/religious tradition is important to cementing their status as a genuine nation, unlike Genosha, which was more like a large scale refugee camp. I hope to see more mutants rally behind the concept of abandoning the human faiths that, along with human culture, have failed mutants again and again and again.

I loved this issue, as I am loving everything about this new Status Quo. I love how it isn’t perfect, how flaws are very visible, how certain elements are troubling and even a little offputting, both to us and to the characters themselves. I am loving High Priest ***[A]***, and the more I see of him, the more I think he might...actually be genuine in his support of Krakoa. Not that I don’t think he has plans of his own, but I think he really is fully in support of this new beginning. The concept of Crucible weirdly makes sense to me, as a long time fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and a RPer. The idea of a people who has conquered death choosing to make that conquest a thing to be earned, is perfectly ‘reasonable’, from that perspective. It doesn’t make sense to us, because we haven’t conquered death. But to them, those willing to fight to reclaim their place in society allows Crucible to provide both a powerful statement of solidarity for the species and sense of fierce defiance for those who have lost their place in the world thanks to the madness of Wanda. I’m very curious about what Warlock’s presence (and subsequent hiding from Scott...) means, and I’m happy to see that the thread of Doug infecting(?) Krakoa hasn’t been dropped or ignored. I am still enjoying the seeming hints at a poly setup, and see it as akin to the subtext between Rictor and Shatterstar in old X-Force, especially given the scene in GSXM:J+E in which Jean and Scott walk hand in hand to the Krakoa gate, then Jean moves to slogan and kisses his cheek. That coupled with Scott and Logan seemingly flirting this issue made me grin a lot more than expected. As a long time fan of Drag and it’s roots in transgressing heteronormativity in an effort to break down preconceived notions and prejudices, I am loving these little ‘screw the old ways that don’t even work for the humans that demand we follow them’ moments. It’s both needed in the fictional world we are reading, and in OUR world, and if X-Men helps start or give nuance to the conversation, I’m down.

Of course, the hot takes comparing all of this to a cult or Nazism are ever-present and as ridiculous as ever, and this is all imma say about them:

I love that literally every complaint/conspiracy theory/‘mistake’ people railed about in the beginning have been or are being addressed - just like anyone who has ever read a comic before knew they would be - and that Hickman is doing his thing and not bothering to make room for the naysayers. This is the direction things are going. This is forward movement. We are no longer in the old ‘hates and fears’ era, nor are we in the ‘well, it’s Wednesday, so that must mean the humans are trying to genocide us again...’ rut of the last decade or so. We are in a new era, a strange new world, if you will, and if it’s not for you, fine. Move on. I’m sick of seeing the minority allegory called Nazis for daring to unify and stand up to their oppressors. I’m sick of seeing the efforts of the oppressed to push back against both hatred and fear AND complacent ignorance characterized as ‘cultish’ or ‘Nazi-like’. It’s tired. It’s myopic. It’s ignorant. It’s exhausting. And the pushback and performative outrage has been categorically disproven again and again. How people can call themselves fans and then work SO HARD to only see the worst of a new situation is mind-boggling and deeply disturbing.

This is fiction. This is sci-fi. These are characters who have been pushed to the brink of extinction again and again. These are characters with a long and complicated relationship with death, and for the first time, they have a shot at being on TOP of that relationship instead of always being ground under the wheels of the inevitable. This is progress, for them. Is it scary, kinda. Is it ethically questionable? Maybe. Does it make sense given EVERYTHING that has come before and the new status quo under which they are currently operating? Absolutely.
    Last edited by zinderel; 02-26-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    And yet that is exactly what a bunch of the ardent Krakoa status quo defenders on this board are doing, just like they have with a bunch of the other questionable things brought on by this Hickman era(like the villains being there in the first place).

Oh come on! Regardless of where you stand on this Crucible thing, I don't see how anyone could argue that Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister and the like are anything other than villains.
    The writing is magnificent so I'm on board, whichever direction Hickman throws our mutants. My favorite thing about this issue was how it made me feel. It was visceral. I read just before going to work and my whole morning was wrecked in the best way possible.

I'll give you Sinister because we haven't seen much from him but •-[A]-• has made clear that he's in the business of looking out for the residents of Arrako and Krakoa. What that means and what he'll do, we'll have to see.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Alright, so the Crucible thingy is hilariously messed up, but this was crazy good.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yellow cyclone View Post
    he's seeding it for down the line, since you had the whole phalanx thing in HoX/PoX
    Oh yeah, that’s what I thought too. In that case, this was huge. What the hell does that all mean?

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I think she could have teamed up with Wiccan and Dr Strange to repower mutants, but UA was more concerned with making her as unlikable as possible sadly
    Truthfully Billy could probably do it himself if he went Demiurge. But honestly he doesn't really care about the mutant race all that much.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Truthfully Billy could probably do it himself if he went Demiurge. But honestly he doesn't really care about the mutant race all that much.
    thank godness we dont need more op characthers with one personality trait in the x-books :3c

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    thank godness we dont need more op characthers with one personality trait in the x-books :3c

All beautifully said, zinderel. Hickman drew a line in the sand with this issue - creepy and questionable at times but this is where we're going. I'm 200% on board and am beyond excited for what's coming.

The layers and layers that he is building upon with are masterful. And it seems pretty clear to me that Wanda is coming.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ay don't come for my boy the X-Men fucked up that relationship first interaction Logan's tryna kill him they should have played their cards better... *shrugs*

Ay don't come for my boy the X-Men fucked up that relationship first interaction Logan's tryna kill him they should have played their cards better... *shrugs*
    Auntie Emma almost got him and Teddy

X-men commited mistake after mistake after house of M.. everytime they wanted to kill wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Auntie Emma almost got him and Teddy
    The queen saw his worth! Hence why she's exalted!

yeah why would want to write a powerful gay character on x-men, better just queerbait