Page 50 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post

bruh
    That's more vile on Mephisto's and Pandemoniums part then Wanda's she didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    Would you say that she is not different from hitler or pol pot ??.

Would you put them in the same category ??
    Does it matter? It may be akin to the breeding out colour programme in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    In hopes of answering the repeatedly asked question of "So why is Selene/•-[A]-•/Willie Nelson/Lil' Kim allowed to walk around the island??"...

And...

Is it risky? Absolutely and obviously. But it's on the page. One doesn't have to agree with their plan, but it is there and there is no disputing that. Moira and co. could turn out to be completely wrong, but they are willing to take the risk to ensure the survival of their kind.
    We always knew that, it's just unsatisfying as an answer. It literally makes more sense to assassinate the known troublemakers before they do anything stupid then to let them on board to inevitably fuck up.

In hopes of answering the repeatedly asked question of "So why is Selene/•-[A]-•/Willie Nelson/Lil' Kim allowed to walk around the island??"...

And...

Is it risky? Absolutely and obviously. But it's on the page. One doesn't have to agree with their plan, but it is there and there is no disputing that. Moira and co. could turn out to be completely wrong, but they are willing to take the risk to ensure the survival of their kind.
    That can justify the desperation of the three but the rest dont know anything about Moira past lives.

Incredible Member

Can we just all admit that the X-Men have officially become a cult?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    That's more vile on Mephisto's and Pandemoniums part then Wanda's she didn't know.
    oh wow magic used to create babies with a machine is actually fucked up tapping into vile and demonic sources.
    who could have known the practise of creating homunculi is messed up.
    who could have seen this abuse of power going into higher reaches

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    We always knew that, it's just unsatisfying as an answer. It literally makes more sense to assassinate the known troublemakers before they do anything stupid then to let them on board to inevitably fuck up.
    Then that, friend, is on you.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

the end result of her motherly arcane pursuit
    That a villain fucked with them?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The post-M-day panels about Wanda's horrific destruction do make me wonder, how would Hulk fans react if someone did a story where his rampage killed lots of innocent people and we saw them all die horrifically across an entire line for years?

I know it's annoying that Wanda stans have effectively just refused to accept that any of those stories were her fault, but what other option is there? "Doom did it" is dumb but we're never going to accept "yes, all those people died because she felt neglected by daddy." You have to pick the interpretation that preserves your favorite hero and I don't think anyone has ever just sat back and said, yeah, I read this story and I now agree she is evil.

I think we're getting to another one of those points where the marginalized-minority metaphor breaks down.

The phrase that describes it more might be "when you're privileged, equality feels like oppression."

Of course that's not exactly true either, especially in a comics universe where this particular type of power and privilege is also held by lots of humans. It's just not a great comparison to real life, just as there are huge whopping differences between Hitler's Holocaust and the mutant Holocaust Magneto fears.
    So...should we just abandon allegory entirely, and go totally literal? Or are people deliberately avoiding the allegory because it gets in the way of hating on the new status quo?

The mutant race is an allegorical construction intended to represent “oppressed minorities”. Obviously, the comparison isn’t 1:1. A fictional, allegorical construct cannot perfectly represent the real world struggle they are representing because that struggle is ongoing. They can only present different ways of looking at the issue.

Previously, the X-Men took the side of integration. Of fighting to protect their oppressors interests in hopes of one day being accepted by their oppressors. This is the tactic people have recommended to the American Japanese in WW2, in the real world. “Join the US Army, and protect the interest of the nation that stole your home and your family’s livelihood and uprooted everyone you know and MAYBE we’ll stop calling you horrible names to your face and MAYBE we’ll give your family twenty dollars and a one way train ticket to anywhere but where you grew up.”

Assimilation is what has been suggested to the Jews as a way to escape their persecution. “Just stop with all the wierd rituals and headwear and language and religion and people will stop burning your businesses and blaming you for droughts/famines/financial crises. Just adopt a NORMAL way of living, and people won’t be mean to you or teach their kids that your kids hide devil horns beneath your little hats, or that you drink christian blood at Passover.”

“Be normal” has been suggested to queer folks. “Ok, you don’t have to be straight, but just don’t ever talk about your partner, or hold hands, or kiss, or even touch in public. And for GODS SAKE, dress normal, not like a screaming nelly just asking for a beat down, OK? And if you could pretend to like tits when we’re all talking about boobs, that would be great. You don’t have to BE straight, but for gods sake don’t act like a f**, okay?”

So when I see a storyline in which a minority which has been oppressed and near-genocided again and again and again, a minority who has been told, “have you tried...not being <blank>?”, a minority who has been told by their leadership to “smile and take it”, and they finally unite and rise up and say, “NO MORE! We are HERE! We are not going ANYWHERE. We are not you, and don’t want to BE you! We will not allow you to murder us, to torture our children, to defile our names and our culture ANYMORE!”...? I cheer. Whether it’s the Mutants in X-Men, or the Jewish people in something like HUNTERS.

The minority allegory serves its purpose. It gives us a fictional outlet for real world frustrations. It gives us a chance to see what winning feels like. To those who have never known oppression, that catharsis is scary. I get that. But it doesnt mean the allegory is ineffective. It means the allegory is working.

Astonishing Member

I fear that just like the phoenix force corrupted the 5 yet they could make the whole world a utopia, this run will last a few years,and I hope it does but I don't think the X-Men or at least leadership not mutantdom in its entirety will crash back down to Terra Firma harder than it ever has.On the one hand we have immortality,statehood, now religion a messianic golden age but where have we not heard that before? Krakoa crying about Wanda's genocide reminds me of Germany crying about defeat,economic ruin and humiliation after WW1 fast forward 15 years... The similarities are eerie

Then that, friend, is on you.
    I thought you said they could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    That can justify the desperation of the three but the rest dont know anything about Moira past lives.
    They trust Charles and Erik (mostly). They're willing to follow their lead.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I thought you said they could be completely wrong.
    You're saying the answer on the page is unsatisfying. To you. To me, I'm not going to harp on why the villains are on the island because they told us, so I'm rolling with it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Wandas spell also summoned the Phoenix Force as per Tony Stark and Unit

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Can we just all admit that the X-Men have officially become a cult?
    Yes, yes they have.

Also, does anyone else just want a panel of someone like Steve Rogers watching a Crucible and just going WTF? Or some magic minded person or cosmic entity explaining to the X-Men how their resurrection method sucks?

oh wow magic used to create babies with a machine is actually fucked up tapping into vile and demonic sources.
    who could have known the practise of creating homunculi is messed up.
    who could have seen this abuse of power going into higher reaches
    So Magik should be dropped to the curb because she uses dark magic.