Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1743
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    This was an excellent issue, with a meaty center focus and also a really creepy moment with Doug, Warlock and Krakoa. I'm absolutely in love with the worldbuilding here, especially how it's dovetailing with other books. For example, people noted that Apocalypse is really becoming a mover and shaker in defining many parts of mutant culture. He's a council member, actively creating mutant magic while taking over other realms, and now has molded mutant repowering while providing the vocabulary for everything surrounding it. A while back I mused about Jean, Kurt, Ororo, etc... losing the cultural war against darker, nastier ideas on Krakoa. Many fans on here pointed out that disparaging comments about humans would go completely unchallenged or get the softest reprimand, and now we get further development of that with creation of Wanda the Great Satan for mutantdom. I feel so bad for Kurt because it looks like he can feel this is turning sour.

Can you imagine generations of mutants who largely live on Krakoa being taught they're Gods while simultaneously being fed stories meant to instill fear and fierce loyalty to Krakoa? The worst part about all this fear mongering? It won't actually make them safer. They'll just isolate themselves further, swipe at imagined human slights and benign things while the actual extremists exploit this. Props to Hickman, the Crucible was a perfect example of the makings of a zealot factory.
    Kurt is aware that they need solid foundations for their society to be built upon, he’s quite correct to be worried.
    It will be interesting to see what sort of religion he cooks up. Also, religion isn’t a solution to Krakoa’s problems, and I think he’s aware of that, but it’s his way of approaching the problem.

Interesting times.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Kurt is aware that they need solid foundations for their society to be built upon, he’s quite correct to be worried.
    It will be interesting to see what sort of religion he cooks up. Also, religion isn’t a solution to Krakoa’s problems, and I think he’s aware of that, but it’s his way of approaching the problem.

Interesting times.
    I think he just wants to try to answer some questions that krakoa poses, wich is religion at its core, that and cultural/socioeconomical norms, but we are too early into krakoa for that

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    We all though it was the FF vs X-Men issue that was going to be the big dog just a few days ago. Oh boy, this one ran away with it! And yeah, there are absolute mad-dog fanatics on here that will be entertaining as hell to see melt down over what's coming down the pipe. There's also the spirited and stimulating discussions around the nuanced themes Hickman is playing with. Damn this is a good read.

But man, Krakoa looks increasingly like a poison well being worshiped by thirst people in the desert. That part with Kurt describing that dream-building is creepy as hell.
    Indeed.
    So was the Doug/Warlock/Krakoa scene. Did you notice Doug had a normal arm when Warlock was sat opposite him, it became this Douglock arm again when Scott did the double take. Cool. Spooky, but cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    You can hate her but the reinforcement in the hate, i dont think that is necessary.

They are lingering in the past, holding the grudge at that level can be dangerous.

Probably is Hickman plan.
    To this day you can see the effects of Nuclear bombs drop on Japan in their culture. It is not really holding a grudge it is just a major event( like the bombs drop on Japan) that shape how mutants view things and she is at the center. Certain events just stick with a culture and shape how they do things. 9/11 changed way how people did stuff in America, years after the fact and because one idiot we are still taking off our shoes at the airport. All I am saying what is happening pretty natural with something that was so traumatic. Yes she is a little bit of scapegoat but it makes sense.

Indeed.
    So was the Doug/Warlock/Krakoa scene. Did you notice Doug had a normal arm when Warlock was sat opposite him, it became this Douglock arm again when Scott did the double take. Cool. Spooky, but cool.
    I didn't see that the first time I read the book but when I saw it,It was like woah. That is straight out of movie type scene and it was well done

BANNED

Indeed.
    its such a creepy horror movie material

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Isn't Storm like the High Priestess for the X-Cult?
    I think Kurt is worried by the cult like aspects of the resurrection protocols (and the rest, such as the Crucible) and wants to organise a mutant religion to circumvent that. Whether he succeeds (hint: he won’t) remains to be seen.
    It would be interesting to see him and Ororo working together on this, two of the most spiritual characters.

BANNED

the way he speaks off it makes it so interesting to see where he goes from here

Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I didn't see that the first time I read the book but when I saw it,It was like woah. That is straight out of movie type scene and it was well done
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    its such a creepy horror movie material
    While I already posted on that page, I did wonder if they were telling the reader that Scott may no longer be a reliable narrator.

BANNED

also another thing, the white krakoan architecture landscape is STUNNNING

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Participating in The Crucible is a choice. You’re not forced to.
    It's not a choice if you're gonna be ostracized and treated as a lesser being.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunasammiches View Post
    I don’t know what’s more fucked up, the crucible or Scott’s frankness about Logan’s body hair. I loved this crazy ass storyline though. This era is getting nuttier and nuttier and I might not support arena style suicides by Apocalypes, but I am officially in this ride and I hope it takes as long as a Claremont era to last because this **** is off the rails in such a refreshing and unique way, especially for the characters and this whole universe. It’s odd and yet organic and stiff but dynamic. I feel bad for the readers that feel jarred by the huge change in tone, and I hope this new sort of storytelling experience can be viewed as more of an adventure rather than an affront to everyone’s favorite characters.

At first I thought mutants as a nation has been done. Asteroid M, genosha, Utopia, Morrison, District X - they started the notion but to create a new culture, a new language, and now a new religion... that’s tapping into all sorts of engagement. Someone sell me the Krakoan dictionary pls, I’ll totally waste my money on that. The fact that Hickman drew us in with Krakoan glyphs before we knew what it was....I’m starting to see what all the Hickman love was about.

And I have to say, for Melody, a minor Guthrie sibling who we only got to see introduced as code-named Aero ONCE in one panel, and then gets shuffled back to the Guthrie farm off panel, after she lost her powers - this issue was a hell of a follow up to THAT minor character arc from a million years ago. Forget where we ended up with the crucible stuff, I’m impressed that we even started here in the first place. Melody Guthrie splayed. She went from being a background character to someone I give a crap about now. And that panel with Paige and Sam losing their **** was painful for us readers to see them go through, but so gratifying to see their pride for their sister by the end of the issue. I’m glad Melody got her mutant back. I don’t know why, but I am.

My big question is, why would Logan even want to live with the Summers? They all seem really annoying and invasive. Gabriel won’t let him eat his steak right, now Scott’s being embarrassing about his body hair? We already know Havok annoys the fuk out of him. I want to read the moving out issue. Maybe he could roomie with Kurt. Man, that would seem way less annoying.
    Snigger. I may have written 38 fanfics about that. Can you imagine how clogged the drains would get with hair/fur?

The Luna habitat still annoys me, or rather how close it’s drawn to Earth. 384,400 km, it’s not in low Earth orbit.
    And it’s not Earth anyway, those are not our continents.
    It just gets on my ****, given how easy it is to look this up. And how carefully Hickman pans things. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    its always a part of mutants, troughout their history death has been the only constant , and its something mutant kind have conquered
    Death is everyone's constant.

Mutants are just better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Paradise isn’t free. You have to be made to understand and appreciate what Krakoa offers you. You have to prove that you’re worthy of it. That you’ll cultivate and protect it. That you’ll die for it.

Edit: Krakoa isn’t for wimps
    But it's all built on a lie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    It's not a choice if you're gonna be ostracized and treated as a lesser being.
    melody wasnt really mistreated, she was in the akademos habitat and apocalypse verbal abuse is basicaly "shia lebouf DO IT" to push her forward