Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

I don't know how can people call Dauterman's work stiff. Jean and Emma were so expressive on this issue.

The story of two frenemies working together to navigate the mental defences of one of the strongest X-men to uncover a mystery tied to the X-line's greater themes of technology and nature is pretty damn good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't know how can people call Dauterman's work stiff. Jean and Emma were so expressive on this issue.
    One difference between the two issues is that Dauterman plays with more nuance and subtly in body language. Quitely had Emma sticking out her tongue in mockery (we stan) while Dauterman has Emma raise an eyebrow, for example

I don't get how Dauterman letting loose under Hickman's guidance can be anything other than fabulous. The issue did a lot of character work (after a decade of these characters either being dead, out right villainous, or doing nothing noteworthy). I can't wait for Storm's issue.

The page of Emma and Storm reaching out to each other while being crushed by Storm's claustrophobic mental defences says sooo much! I don't care if there was no dialogue on the page.
    Last edited by Strong Girl Daken; 02-27-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Dauterman > Quitely.

Quitely is so ugly and bizarre most of the time.

Dauterman and Quitely are very different but both are fantastic and we are lucky to even have this conversation lol

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Emma's heels were sending me into raptures of delight.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

I'm just waiting for the Magneto one. That's gonna be a good one.

I thought it looked stiff in preview art but he impressed me when we got to see the full panels and context

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I absolutely LOVED every page of this.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

The artwork was beautiful. No question. This should be how the main X-men title looks.

The issue as a whole what a disappointment. I spent full comic book price for a book with no dialogue whatsoever basically. What a wasted opportunity and a letdown for an issue I was extremely hyped for.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I'm going to have to agree. the mind of ororo is highly resistant to telepaths so it would make sense that jean would need help. very happy Hickman remembered this.
    The Shadow king is a mutant. He is one of the original mutants. He was disembodied after a duel to the death with Xavier in Cairo.

If we are to take the Hickman X-men world seriously, neither should have anything to fear from the Shadow King anymore.

Krakoa is the Shadow King's birthright as much as it is any mutant's.

To assume he's still feared when the likes of Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Selene, Proteus Etc have not only been welcomed but also welcomed on the silent council flies in the face of Hickman's new theme for the Mutant paradise.

The Shadow King as powerful as he is portrayed (and without his powers boosted by an enslaved Proteus) never posed the same threat to the X-men that Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Proteus or Selene did. His battles were dramatic, but ultimately the X-teams he faced always seemed to beat him far easier than encounters with those four.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason why we haven't seen him on Krakoa yet is he's being saved for some sort of rebirth redemption story Hickman has yet to tell.

As portrayed in the comic books, Cassandra Nova is the most powerful entity any mutant has ever faced. Unlike mutants, her omega-level power aren't limited to one thing. Every ability she has displayed seem to be on the omega-level.

This is a result of fully developing the potential of Xavier's x-gene.

Storm, being highly resistant to telepathy doesn't even show up on the scale that measures Cassandra Nova's telepathic abilities.

She is the most powerful telepath of all. She has proved able to manipulate Emma (Astonishing X-Men) Xavier (Morrison's run) and Rachael (in the recent Jean Grey comic) the world's most powerful telepaths on the subconscious level without them even being aware of what happened. Only Jean Grey boosted by the phoenix power has ever been portrayed on her level.

That's why it makes no sense at all to think Storm poses a similar danger no matter what the reason is for her condition.

If they wanted to be safe, that's great, but to imply they had to be wary similar to why they had to be wary of Cassandra Nova doesn't add up.

And Morrison's story focused on Cassandra Nova, not the Shadow King, thus my assertion it was a beautiful homage to Quietly's art but fell far short of being a homage to Morrison's far better, original story.

It seems to me someone is upset the girls didn't go in Storm's mind guns blazing
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

In this new era we have witnessed how mutants are stronger when they work together. We have been shown various examples of mutants using their powers in tandem (The Five, Xavier and the cuckoos plus others, Jean and Monet, etc). It comes as no surprise that Emma assisted Jean or that Jean assisted Emma. Why would either one go into Storm's mind alone when the other is available to help?

Plus they didn't know what was wrong with Storm. Jean (with Quire) is the top telepath and Emma is clearly in the top 5 powerful telepaths (I think she is probably 3rd as I'd place her under Xavier).

I do like Storm's psychic defenses were remembered especially since Claremont reminded us a lot in his runs that she had them. This issue was a good showing for Emma, Jean, and Storm. I think the fan groups of each should be really happy.

I know as a Jean mega fan I was really happy with the issue. The splash page with Jean is now one of my top favorite Jean pages. The issue shown that Emma is a sharp, skilled, and a fast thinker. There really wasn't any downsides except for fans that wanted Emma to do more or those unhappy that Jean was portrayed as stronger, or those who felt Storm wasn't somehow enough in this issue.

Amazing Member

It’s a fine line between homage and cheap lazy rip off. Hickman ran over it with a freight train. What total garbage.

I agree. This was one of the most.....intimate.....books I've ever read. Beautiful.