Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    emma shrug before the black lion is so funny before getting wrekted.
    I found it to be a visual masterpiece, the similarities betwen the two issues just highlight how things are difrent now.
    jean/logan/scott warmth and comfort.
    emma holding out her hand to jean.
    scott/logan sitting next to each other than apart
    Very good points. I didn't noticed the Scott/Logan siting together other than apart in NXM 121.
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post

This sums up the issue perfectly, a nice nod. The people who don't get it probably didn't get the New X-Men issue either. That's ok. There's only about a million more comics with "words". But for those of us who appreciated "reading" through the art, it was a nice treat.

BANNED

the fact ororo was trapped in a ressurection pod/flower makes me think this virus will try to permenantly erase her mind or make it impossible to bring her back.
    but we have her issue in june, cant wait to see what ororo does

No one here is confused about anything or didn't "get it." It's not that deep. I stand by my opinion that this could have been a lot more worthwhile with words. Then again, I didn't fall all over Marvel's silent issues back in the day either when they did it line wide across the X titles back in the early 2Ks. Seemed like a silly gimmick. Morrison and Quitley's issue included. Very cinematic, but I just didn't care.

You guys know language exists beyond words right? They are telepaths and there was enough symbolism/non-verbal communication to feast for days on.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    No one here is confused about anything or didn't "get it." It's not that deep. I stand by my opinion that this could have been a lot more worthwhile with words. Then again, I didn't fall all over Marvel's silent issues back in the day either when they did it line wide across the X titles back in the early 2Ks. Seemed like a silly gimmick. Morrison and Quitley's issue included. Very cinematic, but I just didn't care.
    Yep it really lacked meat to this story. Very easy understand what is going on

Morrison's silent issue was the best of the "nuff said" line. It was the most clever, the most intelligent silent book I read at the time.
    Giant X-Men 1 is nowhere was outrageous and crazy, but it's a amazing nod to New X-Men 121. I "read" it twice today, and plan to do it again. It's the kind of book rich in details.
    The art is incredible. Was I expecting something else ? Sure, I was hoping for written interaction between Jean & Emma. But i don't feel let down. The book stands for what is is, and not for what people wanted it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Morrison's silent issue was the best of the "nuff said" line. It was the most clever, the most intelligent silent book I read at the time.
    Giant X-Men 1 is nowhere was outrageous and crazy, but it's a amazing nod to New X-Men 121. I "read" it twice today, and plan to do it again. It's the kind of book rich in details.
    The art is incredible. Was I expecting something else ? Sure, I was hoping for written interaction between Jean & Emma. But i don't feel let down. The book stands for what is is, and not for what people wanted it to be.
    The gag is though that Dautermann is a MUCH better artist than Quietely. This issue is much more beautiful than the NXM ever was. With the art doing all the heavy lifting on both issues, is the NXM really better?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    To be fair, New X-Men 121 was a line-wide challenge to do silent issues. There's no absolute reason a telepathic rescue must be silent. We've seen countless other similar situations in X-Men stories before where the characters can speak. For those who said this issue would be a 'nostalgia wank' over NXM 121, I think they were proven to be correct.

The artwork(particularly the coloring) were gorgeous, but the story was a bit thin, made all the moreso by this issue being an almost page-for-page recreation of the Morrison/Quietly silent issue. I did like the subtle allusions to Ororo's claustrophobia(when they were buried in the stairwell), her pet-name from T'Challa(the white lion/lioness), and when the mental defenses attacked Emma remembering Uncanny 152, I actually laughed with delight. If you were coming to this issue for some spotlight for Jean and Emma, though, you would be sorely disappointed. I hope the Storm issue at the end of this series is better executed, with more dialog and story.
    What’s even stranger about the scenario is, given that they’re telepathic, what’s keeping them from talking with telepathy?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The gag is though that Dautermann is a MUCH better artist than Quietely. This issue is much more beautiful than the NXM ever was. With the art doing all the heavy lifting on both issues, is the NXM really better?
    I love Quitely's art. Its not about being beautiful. It's about being organic and creative.
    Don't get me wrong. Dautermann's art is gorgeous : Jean and Emma are way more beautiful than Quitely's version.

But I'm completely crazy about Quitely's art too. They are 2 different beasts, but I love it deeply. It's unusual, it's quite unique. The universe Quietly has created (with Morrison's direction) for New X-Men 121 is so rich. Incredibly rich. Dautermann's art is more "pure" and light. His art is clean. It's more "mainstream"

As I said, 2 different beasts.

BANNED

Quitely drawn Cyclops could throw neck like an angry giraffe. He was the true head doctor of the New XMen.

Nice artwork, but in NXM Jean and Emma had to go into Xavier's mind because the mind of the world's most powerful telepath had been booby-trapped by Cassandra Nova his sister, the omnipath.

They went in together, because they had no choice.

This issue exists strictly to pay homage to Quietly's art, but it falls far short of a homage to Morrison's writing.

Morrison gave a solid justification for them going in together.

Hickman's use of Storm in the place of a Xavier doesn't really make much sense.

She is a vastly powerful elemental, but she is not a telepath whose mind has been booby-trapped if the artwork tells the tale.

She's been infected, but the infection doesn't pose any threat like Cassandra Nova did. It just seems to be able to hide quite well, which makes a poor basis for a story.

As a result the beautiful homage to Quietly seems like a cover for Hickman's decision not to bother actually telling a story.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Quitely drawn Cyclops could throw neck like an angry giraffe. He was the true head doctor of the New XMen.
    Lol! Quietly couldn't draw aesthetically good looking people, but I always admired his storytelling ability. His layouts, panels etc were always top notch. Again, I always thought his comics felt very cinematic. But man, his people were still ugly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Dautermann's art is beautiful, but he's not even half the storyteller Quitely is.

BANNED

I used to dislike his art but then I grew out of that. So what if its not conventionally "pretty"? Aesthetic = quality and Quietly is definitely a master of his craft.