Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default New Mutants #8 spoilers and discussion

The creepy twins tell Shaw about the situation with the Krakoan drugs in Costa Perdita. He goes to the country to solve the issue by himself, by selling the drugs to a rival cartel instead of the one who attacked our protagonists in the last arc. Maybe this plotline will get picked up again later, maybe not, I don't really care either way tbh!

Amara, Armor and Boom Boom travel into the Amazon forest to visit Nova Roma, as we have seen in the preview. Brisson has a really weird idea of what the Amazon rainforest is, because I really have no idea why some brazilian mutants would be running around there to escape or why would anyone put a Krakoan gate in the middle of it since there's lot of more acessible places in Brazil. But alright!

Anyway, the white supremacists, I mean, the residents of Nova Roma called Amara because have found a runaway mutant "intrusor" in their lands. The brazilian mutant tells Amara and the others that he was running away from these predator X-looking monsters we saw in Marauders - the monsters also ate all his friends.

Magma, Armor and Boom Boom go into the forest to look for the monsters, and after a while they find three of them and manage to defeat them. Pretty straightforward. The only relevant thing that happens is that Boom Boom gets outed as an xenophobe. Oh, and also there's an evil blond lady who seems to be the creator of the monsters who appears in the last page, plotting her revenge. Eh.

--

So far Brisson's issues haven't really explained why this book needs to exist past Hickman's arc, honestly. But I guess the main cast is returning in the next arc, so maybe it'll get better. But as of now, I'd be fine if this was cancelled to make way for a more interesting book to exist/and the New Mutants keep appearing in other titles.

The most amazing thing about this comic is watching Shaw do something genuinely in favor of Krakoa.

For the rest, meh.

BANNED

Brisson really reading the room poorly by doing a “fuck yeah, Shaw” scene at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Brisson really reading the room poorly by doing a “**** yeah, Shaw” scene at this point in time.
    It's really disconcerting. In X-Men he's practically a comic relief when grannies beat him up and in Marauders he's a comically evil villain.

And then, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Brisson really reading the room poorly by doing a “**** yeah, Shaw” scene at this point in time.
    I kind of like it. As we're seeing in Marauders, Shaw is still despicably evil but if the new status quo is that all of mutantkind (most of mutantkind) is working for the interests of Krakoa that does include some awful people.

Why are Crystal and Elsa Bloodstone in this book?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    I kind of like it. As we're seeing in Marauders, Shaw is still despicably evil but if the new status quo is that all of mutantkind (most of mutantkind) is working for the interests of Krakoa that does include some awful people.
    But according to Marauders, he isn’t working in the interest of Krakoa at all. He’s just working on his grievances.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why are Crystal and Elsa Bloodstone in this book?

Look, I love Tabby

But she wishes she had Elsa's style

Why do the young generic mutants in the X-books always get shown with different colour skin or a different body part?
    This has really irked me recently, how come someone like Melody Guthrie is "normal" to look at but all other nameless younger mutants have green skin or horns? It harkens back to the Morrison era.
    Just once, I'd like to see a panel of havok or psylocke lookalikes.

Shaw was too nice compared to Marauders. I liked him here lol but it was a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Why do the young generic mutants in the X-books always get shown with different colour skin or a different body part?
    This has really irked me recently, how come someone like Melody Guthrie is "normal" to look at but all other nameless younger mutants have green skin or horns? It harkens back to the Morrison era.
    Yeah, it's like "Mutants are weird! Except the protagonists, who are all supermodels."

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Yeah, it's like "Mutants are weird! Except the protagonists, who are all supermodels."
    Yes, this is better english explanation than what I said.

you are rigt, now every mutants kid seems to have a mutation on their appearence.

This was one of the most 'average' comics I've ever read lol. Mike del Mundo covers aside, I don't have high hopes for the post-Hickman/Reis era of this book.

Yes, this is better english explanation than what I said.
    That creates awkward moments when there are plots of mutant cures because it's like "Of course you are okay being a mutant, gorgeus goddess of the weather, I'm just a fucking slug-cow".