Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Always Rakzo

Default Suicide Squad #3 Discussion/Spoilers

Yeaaaaah, I think I'm starting to see the typical Tom Taylor problems here.

And I don't mean the decompressed writing (which this issue surprisingly doesn't have since it has enough decent content), what I mean that Taylor has decided once again to make his new characters take over the title and be more important than the old cast. Fans of the New 52 Earth 2 series may notice a pattern here since this is pretty much what happened once that Taylor took over that book and is not like the new members are uninteresting, the problem is that they receive more development and depth than the Squad's staples, particularly Deadshot who might as well be any other character since there's very little of his own personality here.

About the plot, there's appropriate progression along with a few revelations concerning the new direction of the team and its leaders but to be honest, the previously mentioned aspects bother me a bit.

Bruno Redondo's artwork is pretty good, I always liked his style and here he especially shines thanks to the vibrant tone and strong storytelling.

This is not bad, is just a bit underwhelming and especially worrying considering what happened before.

Personally I kind of like the fact that the new characters have taken over the title. But that may come down to my opinion of the suicide squad that there really shouldn't be any staples per se. I don't mind reoccuring villains or a cast that stays around for a few arcs, because you know villains spend a lot of time in jail and eventually return later, but I have never liked the fact that certain characters have stuck around for a long time. I know and have seen enough about Deadshot and Harley Quinn to think they'd be fine not too prominent in the book...maybe not Zebra man though, he might wanna show up more. So the fact we get new characters who have the potential to grow and I can feel worried for them as they go on missions is nice to have. That said I did not see spoilers:
    the death of king shark
    end of spoilers coming, I was shocked since he;d been on the team for a while now too. I'm also interested in wherever they are going with Lok and whoever is running Task Force X.

I will say this though that I probably am bias as a fan of Tom Taylor's work, so maybe it just doesn't bother me as much.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

I don't think he was the "King Shark" who has been with the team since the New 52. I believe that they mentioned early on that he was just "a Shark".

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I don't think he was the "King Shark" who has been with the team since the New 52. I believe that they mentioned early on that he was just "a Shark".
    ....Is there more then one shark man

Not sarcasm, honest question since Atlantis exists I just only know King Shark who has been on the Suicide Squad.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    ....Is there more then one shark man

Not sarcasm, honest question since Atlantis exists I just only know King Shark who has been on the Suicide Squad.
    Yeah, I believe there have been a few. There's the one who has a connection to a Demigod and was part of the New 52 team but also other Sharks have appeared in different books.

Extraordinary Member

I've only read a few issues of Suicide Squad over the last few years, and I never really had any attachment to any characters. So this was fine for me. I am intrigued enough to keep reading even though I do not know if any of the new characters have actually been explored enough for me to care about them either.