Spectacular Member

Default Just finished House of X/Powers of X. Which Omnibus should I preorder next?

The only comics I've ever loved are the ones that either Hickman or Alan Moore wrote (Loved Hickman’s FF/New Avengers/Time Runs Out omnibuses). I don't collect comics or paperbacks since I'm impatient and I tend to not take good care of paperbacks/comics so they fall apart for me. But I am happy to purchase hardcover collections/omnibuses that will survive for a long time.

Which ones should I preorder to follow the core storyline for the rest of hickman's series?

Thank you for your help. I did my best to try to figure it out and it sounds like I should wait for...

X-Men by Hickman hardcover/omnibus
    Dawn of X by Hickman hardcover/omnibus
    Marauders hardcover/omnibus
    X-Force hardcover/omnibus

Is there a specific reading order for them?

Would that pretty much have me covered as far as the core storyline goes? Or are there other must have hardcovers I should keep an eye on? A New Mutants Hardcover?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Wikoogle; 02-26-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Spectacular Member

Also why does Marvel do such a crappy job with releasing omnibuses (small quantities so they are sold out before you even hear about them, not available to preorder until a couple of months before release, no marketing and the reading order is often a giant disorganized mess)?

If they released a completed works of Hickman's marvel run omnibus series (six omnibuses in the correct reading order that include everything hickman wrote for marvel prior to his xmen run), just think about how amazing it would sell. Why has it not already happened? Does Marvel not like money?

There are no other Omnibusses (yet). I'd say the big one would be X-Men by Hickman if that ever comes out. It is doing the best at "carrying the torch" of HOX/POX and has plenty of weird Hickman WTF moments you've come to love. The first Trade Paperback collects 1-6 and will be out in April. Issue 7 just came out today (and wooo what a good one) so it will likely be some time before you'll see a full Omni.

X-Force is fine, but it's not Hickman. I think it's lost some luster since the first few issues and is more of an action book that focuses on the idea that just because X-Men are "immortal" they aren't without problems from the outside.

New Mutants is a mess. Hickman's issues were SO GOOD and hilarious, but the books in between were junk. There is a trade of just Hickman's issues coming out next month that would be worth grabbing, but even then it doesn't do much to connect the greater storyline and is mostly just a fun comedy book. I highly doubt there will ever be an Omni for this.

Marauders I like but it's not Hickman written so can't be sure if you'd enjoy it.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Spectacular Member

Thank you! I preordered the trade paperback and am excited to get it in a few months.

What about Dawn of X? Is it needed to understand the storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikoogle View Post
    Thank you! I preordered the trade paperback and am excited to get it in a few months.

What about Dawn of X? Is it needed to understand the storyline?
    The Dawn of X books are basically the overarching name for the post HOX/POX books. The "Dawn of X" trade paperbacks are all of the issue 1's combined in book 1, all the 2's in #2, etc. Might be a fun way to collect them all, but you also get the garbage ones stuck in with them (like Fallen Angels and Excalibur). If you are in this for HICKMAN, I'd say stick with X-Men and wait for the other books to do something more earth shattering.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’ve solely been reading X-Men by Hickman, so that’s the inevitable onni I will be getting. Who knows how long it’ll be, though. I think the man intends to be on a lot longer than he was on for either FF and Avengers from what he has said so far.

Spectacular Member

I didnt realize that about Dawn of X. Thanks for letting me know.

Thats fantastic that Hickmans run will last a good long while. Hickman is second only to Moore in my eyes.

I just ordered East of West to get more of a Hickman fix.

If you like these high concept Hickman stories, I think you would like Rick Rimender's Uncanny X-Force Omnibus. That run was amazing.

Hickman seems he will be jumping on titles all over the place - stuff like the Giant Size Xmen one shots, the sporadic New Mutants issues, and the Xmen book. I sure he will write more x-titles and x-events in the future too. This basically adds up to being a nightmare to collect properly in correct reading order.

This has always been a problem with Hickman books - his Fantastic Four and Avengers took years before they collected them in proper reading order. The X-stuff outside of Hickman is pretty much trash so its only worth it to get his books. If you want all the Hickman stuff, youll just have to be patient and wait for a Hickman complete collection/omnibus, which will be YEARS before that drops.

In the meantime the only option is single issues or the tiny trade paperbacks. I would prefer thick collections with the proper reading order of all the Hickman written stuff - which Im sure will be a thing at some point, but itll be awhile...
    Last edited by Destro777; 02-27-2020 at 07:22 AM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

It's not that the stuff Hickman didn't write for X so far is TRASH really, it's just a different tone.

But yeah, he's said on his social media that he's got everything planned out and he's involved in X-titles for the next few years. Most recently he said that the stuff they are doing with Storm today will have consequences for the next two years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Hickman seems he will be jumping on titles all over the place - stuff like the Giant Size Xmen one shots, the sporadic New Mutants issues, and the Xmen book. I sure he will write more x-titles and x-events in the future too. This basically adds up to being a nightmare to collect properly in correct reading order.

This has always been a problem with Hickman books - his Fantastic Four and Avengers took years before they collected them in proper reading order. The X-stuff outside of Hickman is pretty much trash so its only worth it to get his books. If you want all the Hickman stuff, youll just have to be patient and wait for a Hickman complete collection/omnibus, which will be YEARS before that drops.

In the meantime the only option is single issues or the tiny trade paperbacks. I would prefer thick collections with the proper reading order of all the Hickman written stuff - which Im sure will be a thing at some point, but itll be awhile...
    Definitely not trash. Just a different flavor. I'd say X-Force and Marauders are the standouts out of Dawn of X.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    If you like these high concept Hickman stories, I think you would like Rick Rimender's Uncanny X-Force Omnibus. That run was amazing.
    Is it related to this run Or as good as Hickmans work in your opinion. Does anyone else agree its worth buying. Its a $100 but I will buy it if it’s worth the price.