Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Amethyst #1 Discussion/Spoilers

Okay, I'm going to be honest right from the start: I don't like this.

And I'm not talking necessarily about the quality of the book itself (although I kinda do), I'm talking about the fact that this is yet another reboot for Amethyst and this is especially disappointing since I quite digged the New 52 incarnation from the Sword of Sorcery title written by Christy Marx. This in comparison tries to write the character in a similar fashion with an explanation about why Amethyst's look is different from her classic one, seemingly connecting both versions but at the same time, the backstory is pretty different and there's no actual relation between the two.

But one should take the merits of new titles by themselves right? Well, that's the other problem since right from the beginning the narration takes me out of the story. It's pretty blunt at telling Amethyst's backstory and doesn't make it that interesting for new readers despite that it actually should be and this is particularly bad because I recently re-read Marx's Sword of Sorcery and it still holds-up with much more subtle narration and a dialogue that flows much better. Amy Reeder's dialogue itself is not that bad but also not that distinctive or memorable. Not going to compare both plots, the one here has potential about yet another war between kingdoms but the presentation doesn't make me invested into it.

Reeder's art is decent with expressive characters and an energetic tone but again, I'm sadly going to compare it with the previous book and she has to compete with Aaron Lopresti at his best who delivered a pretty vibrant and polished work.

Maybe it's not fair to compare this with the title that came before but at the same time, I can't help but feel like this is a complete downgrade from what we already had.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This book is so gorgeous. Amy Reeder rocks, and this sure proves it.

I loved it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-26-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Going to read it tonight, but I already have two things I have accepted going in:
    1) All modern comics are junk compared to the books I read as a kid (j/k?)
    2) Bendis-continuity is what it is with all the Wonder line, so anything goes.

BANNED

I hate to seem like a curmudgeon, but that redesign of her's doesn't jive with me and it's enough to turn me off. I'll stick with the 80s comics. It just does not look like the character I've come to like in the slightest and I don't even like that look.

I way would have rather seen what Renae De Liz would have done with the character. She pitched DC a while ago with art and plot, but they weren't interested. To this day, I think that's a real shame, because what I saw and read about it is really cool.

Last edited by Vampire Savior; 02-26-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I didn't know this title existed. Dang, I really should pay attention to the solicits.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I didn't know this title existed. Dang, I really should pay attention to the solicits.
    It was such a treat, totally recomend finding it.

Considering the origin page states that she found out she was Amethyst three years ago, it looks like the original series is in continuity and the New 52 one has been retconned. It's also prior to the current Young Justice, which explains why she doesn't call the team in and why she has shorter hair (I imagine she stays on Gemworld after this series ends and then YJ arrives some months later).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Considering the origin page states that she found out she was Amethyst three years ago, it looks like the original series is in continuity and the New 52 one has been retconned. It's also prior to the current Young Justice, which explains why she doesn't call the team in and why she has shorter hair (I imagine she stays on Gemworld after this series ends and then YJ arrives some months later).
    I did wonder when this was supposed to take place.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Gemworld is much more interesting here than it was in YJ. Only complaint is that I felt like something was missing in the middle. The appeal for help went on too long or something, but I did like the fun way she met her companion, partly because I just starting to wonder if something fun was going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I did wonder when this was supposed to take place.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Gemworld is much more interesting here than it was in YJ. Only complaint is that I felt like something was missing in the middle. The appeal for help went on too long or something, but I did like the fun way she met her companion, partly because I just starting to wonder if something fun was going to happen.
    I loved her awkward appeals for help. Showed her age, and her trying to be a bigger figure than she is. The diplomacy line was great.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I loved her awkward appeals for help. Showed her age, and her trying to be a bigger figure than she is. The diplomacy line was great.
    It was well written and I did like it. It was just more pacing and use of pages, I feel like it needed to maybe give a hint of the danger before moving on to the crowds or traveling. I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I hate to seem like a curmudgeon, but that redesign of her's doesn't jive with me and it's enough to turn me off. I'll stick with the 80s comics. It just does not look like the character I've come to like in the slightest and I don't even like that look.

I way would have rather seen what Renae De Liz would have done with the character. She pitched DC a while ago with art and plot, but they weren't interested. To this day, I think that's a real shame, because what I saw and read about it is really cool.

That is a pretty great Amethyst redesign. I would've loved to have seen De Liz's take.

This is rad. Amethyst #1 however, is not.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Extraordinary Member

Why is she flying above Gondor? And where is Gandalf?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It was well written and I did like it. It was just more pacing and use of pages, I feel like it needed to maybe give a hint of the danger before moving on to the crowds or traveling. I'm definitely looking forward to the next issue.
    I can agree with that. Hopefully the pacing is stronger next issue.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

I didn't even know she appeared again in n52 before I read this...............
    All I know about her is from the 80s comics which she killed a bunch of chaos lords and imprisoned mordru.....
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)