Default Hell Arisen #3 Discussion/Spoiler

Alright well if your in for the Death Metal set up come along for the ride if not....honestly I wouldn't begin to know why your here. I mean essentially this is prelude to Death Metal the comic starring Lex Luthor, that doesn't mean its bad or that it being a prelude to Death Metal is a bad thing, but its exactly what it is. It is the build up to whatever Batman who laughs is gonna do to cause the events of Death Metal to happen, and it talks about things like Crises and it has some big people from the multiverse show up and references events from Snyder's Justice League and I guess Year of the Villain. If you can get behind that idea or you want to follow from what has happened then you should pick this up, if not this book probably won't be for you.

With that in mind lets talk a little about what happens.

spoilers:
    Basically after the preview ends Joker successfully rescues Lex from the Infected League or the Secret SixSixSix or whatever else you wanna call the reserves of the Justice League that Batman who laughs has infected. How did they escape? Well apparently Joker's been torturing the brotherhood evil and he had the villain Warp come get them....doesn't end well for poor Warp.

If you were expecting the issue to be a fight scene it's not, its actually more of a carry over from Justice League issue 13 where Joker berates Luthor for ever trusting the Batman who laughs, and it gets meta that Joker even says they weren't meant to go to the moon or be alien enhanced apex lex serving a celestial entity who turned the Legion of Doom into a chair. They should be who they are is what essentially Joker tells him. Luckily though Joker was more help then that because from reading his mind and looking at his version of the Joker toxin Luthor thinks he can beat Batman who laughs. How? By doing it his way and going in full Lex armor and bringing some of the villains he powered up in Year of the villain to help fight Batman who laughs and his army at the hall of justice.

The only thing of real note and confusion is that somehow Batman who laughs captured Nix Uotan the Monitor (from Multiversity) and has him locked up in the Hall of Justice... not sure what Batman who laughs plan is but so far he's got an infected Justice League, the Secret Six, and both the Phantom Stranger and Nix Uotan locked up.
    end of spoilers

Like I said its not bad, but you know its not the real end game to all this with Death Metal coming in May. But the art's not bad, its not poorly written, and with one more issue to go lets just see what happens on this crazy ride Snyder and Tynion have brought us to.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I guess this means Multiversity Too is beyond on hold and into the cancelled territory.

Also, isn't Nix the Superjudge? Like, I can get how the Batman Who Laughs captures the Monitor after his rebirth, but Nix is supposed to be beyond even a full powered Monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    I guess this means Multiversity Too is beyond on hold and into the cancelled territory.

Also, isn't Nix the Superjudge? Like, I can get how the Batman Who Laughs captures the Monitor after his rebirth, but Nix is supposed to be beyond even a full powered Monitor...
    Well he got him somehow and put him in a tube. We don’t even see him capture Nix, Batman who laughs walks into the basement of the hall of Justice and Nix is just there.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post

Nix and everything else from Multiversity feels like they're the equivalent of Worf at this point. They sound really strong but are just there to get the new bad guys over.

The way the BWL is capturing powerful DC characters (Rip Hunter, the Phantom Stranger, Nix) reminds me vaguely of Thanos collecting the Infinity Stones. Each seems to have a different role they play, and I guess he needs the combination of them for a reason.

I've become a big fan of Tynion's work. I don't think there's another writer who could make me actually enjoy a story that included the Joker, the Batman Who Laughs and the endless Perpetua/Infected events/crisis.

BANNED

Miss Martian running away from normal human bullets? well, that was pretty dumb

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Miss Martian running away from normal human bullets? well, that was pretty dumb
    To be fair, she was running away from Joker bullets lol I could imagine most powered heroes running from anything that crazy guy throws at them, simply for not knowing what it might be.

On the surface though, yeah, kinda strange.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."