Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default X-Men / Fantastic Four #2 Review with *SPOILERS*

Issue #2 - Broken Borders

Written by: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Terry Dodson
    Variant Cover Artist: Meghan Hetrick

With this second issue the stage is set and now all the pieces are in play. The Fantastic Four have a quick family meeting and Reed gets a reality check from Ben, who is probably the most sensible person in this. Even Johnny is giving Reed some pushback.

The security in the conference room in Krakoa proves to be pretty porous as the FF are able to crash the meeting with the White Queen, Magneto, Cyclops and Nightcrawler Ben immediate clocks Magneto to start things off with a bang and then a typical hero vs. hero fight based on miscommunication/misunderstanding ensues.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, or I should say Doom Island, Kitty has awakened to find herself seated at a typical meticulously prepared meal at Castle Doom of the Pacific. They politely waited for Kitty to awaken before dining themselves. I have to start compiling a spreadsheet of Doom dinner parties and the attending guests. We just had one a couple of months ago with Conan as his guest. Another parallel to the earlier mini featuring these two teams is that Doom has now volunteered his services to address Franklin's fading powers.

I found this second issue entertaining even though I still feel the conflict between the X-Men & the FF is a wee bit contrived. Cooler heads would have prevailed if the children didn't feel that they had to take things in their own hands and run off to join Kitty on the Marauder. And at last Valeria had a reunion with her "Uncle" Doom. I have always faulted Slott for for completely ignoring it for unknown reasons. Zdarsky does a good job a balancing a boatload of guest appearances. I figure this must be happening before the Antlion incident since Victorious mentions a rebuilding going on in Latveria, probably from the incompetent General Karadick. One wonders how long Doom has had the refuge in the Pacific, a spot he tells the children is a sort of hideaway when he wants to get away from it all. I wonder if the mutants he has sheltered on the island are some of those from that school he had back in Latveria?

BANNED

Yeah, it's interesting that the comic goes into the complexity of Doom's attitude to mutants, because he has been written as pro-mutant and anti-mutant varying on the writer. Zdarsky confronts both takes. It's clear that Doom is out for himself, either because he's

A) he's a tyrannical despot megalomaniac (anti-Doom view),
    B) He feels it's his duty to rule the world and all its subjects so he must also save the world and all its subjects, mutant and human (middle-Doom to pro-Doom view).

So Doom would be sympathetic and kindly to mutants in person while also building Doom-Sentinels behind everyone's back.

I think there will be a big X/FF showdown, and preferably a Magneto versus Doom fight for the ages.

I know everyone seems to be thinking he's building Sentinels but I don't know if I agree with that. He could be building a new class of Doombots after syphoning powers from mutants.

I'd like to see Doom and Magneto face off at some point particularly since most writers are giving Doom crazy levels of sorcery skills.

I found a scan of that Latverian school from a series called Infinity: The Hunt. Not clear if any of them are mutants. I will have to dig up some more info on this series

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-26-2020 at 05:13 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Does Valeria not remember how Franklin was tormented in a hell during that FF arc many people don't want to name, while she herself was a tool of Doom?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I was going to see if anyone mentioned that. Yeah, Franklin and Doom do not really get along that well. But with Valeria I think the reason there is this bond with them is because it's very likely she is the re-incarnation of Valeria Von Doom.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Yes, that's most likely. Now, I cannot emphasized enough how much I LOLled, literally, at the revelation of Doom Island. The Krakoans think they are doing all mutantkind a favor, when it didn't occur to them that maybe, just maybe, Latverian mutants prefer to live under Doom's rule in their own island paradise? The bile thrown at Doom in that first X4 thread! I'm glad he got one over Krakoa.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yes, that's most likely. Now, I cannot emphasized enough how much I LOLled, literally, at the revelation of Doom Island. The Krakoans think they are doing all mutantkind a favor, when it didn't occur to them that maybe, just maybe, Latverian mutants prefer to live under Doom's rule in their own island paradise? The bile thrown at Doom in that first X4 thread! I'm glad he got one over Krakoa.
    Me too, even if his purpose is more than likely sinister. I went through their preview thread and it was ....something. Don't want to get banned

Mighty Member

While I understand trusting Doom to restore his powers, I'm going to head desk if Franklin or Valeria is the slightest bit surprised when Doom betrays both of them to gain PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    While I understand trusting Doom to restore his powers, I'm going to head desk if Franklin or Valeria is the slightest bit surprised when Doom betrays both of them to gain PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER.
    This does seem suspiciously simplistic if Zdarsky has Franklin trusting in Doom considering their past history as I mentioned. That's been far more deadly than what goes on between Doom and Valeria. I think the kids may turn out to be the smart ones in his whole story, helped by Kitty.