Extraordinary Member

Default What OTHER (non YO or LH) Batman Stories Should be Adapted for ******Action Film?

So, I've heard it said how Batman films tend to go to the same crop of Batman stories for adaptation: Year One, the Long Halloween, etc. Nolan's trilogy definitely took cues from Year One and the Long Halloween (and Knightfall in Dark Knight Rises). Also, it's been rumored that the new Batman film with Robert Pattison is also going to be adapting Year One and Long Halloween to some extent. So, it seems to really be that crop of stories plus this kind of amorphous concept of the Batman myth that people keep going back to for the adaptations for Batman.

And, honestly, that's really not a bad thing. At all. Those stories are amazing and work kind of perfectly for a Batman just starting out. However, I was thinking: what other Batman stories should be drawn upon for adaptation? And keep in mind, Knightfall was already (kind of) adapted in Dark Knight Rises. Though, I could stand to see a more faithful adaptation, myself...

So, here are some ideas I had:

• Daughter of the Demon: Imagine that swordfight between Ra's and Batman in the desert being adapted to film. Can you think of anything more cinematic?
    • Batman: War Games: I know its a controversial storyline, but Captain America: Civil War showed us that even controversial storylines from the comics can be adapted into great films. Also, I think the part where the gangs move in on Tim's school and the Bat-family has to clear them all out would make for a very cinematic action sequence. Plus, although maybe controversial, it would actually be timely and relevant for a comic book film to feature something like that because unfortunately that type of violence has become all-too-regular in our society nowadays. It would be interesting to maybe use an adaptation of War Games to comment on how we force our youth to live with violence as opposed to actually trying to pass common-sense gun laws

So, yeah, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 02-26-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

It isn't really a Batman story but this is my suggestion:

Catwoman-1-4-1989-Dc-Batman.jpg

I would love also "No man's land", but I think it would work better if it were a TV series.

Another suggestion:

51Th4gJyDJL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The best story with Professor Strange.

Extraordinary Member

I think something like Batman:Outlaws, Gates of Gotham or the original story about Wrath could make for a good movies.

Daughter of the Demon would imo only work if the story is not set in the present day, but a few decades in the past.

The big problem with War Games (appart from beeing pretty bad) is that for the plot to roughly work like in the comics you need several characters that not known by the general audience, and you want be able to properly introduce in one film.
    Onyl way I could see to the plot work for a movie would be if you Black Mask was the one who starts the Gang War to get control over the entire Underworld of Gotham, and get totally rid of Spoilers involvement in the story.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-27-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    It isn't really a Batman story but this is my suggestion:

Catwoman-1-4-1989-Dc-Batman.jpg

I would love also "No man's land", but I think it would work better if it were a TV series.

Another suggestion:

Good Choice. To note, this story is followed by Batman: Terror.

Well the big Batman Stories are:

• Year One + Batman & the Monster Men + Batman & the Mad Monk + Batman Prey + Batman Terror + The Man Who Laughs
    • The Long Halloween + Dark Victory
    • Robin: Year One + Batgirl: Year One + Batman Death in the Family + A lonely place of dying
    • The Killing Joke + Sword of Azrael + Vengence of Bane + Knightfall / Knightquest / KnightsEnd + Prodigual + Troika
    • Batman: Contagion + Batman: Legacy
    • Batman: Cataclysme + No Man's Land
    • New Gotham + Turning Point + Gotham Central + Bruce Wayne: Murderer / Fugitive
    • Batman: War drums / War games / War crimes
    • Batman: Hush + Batman: Detective / Death and the City / Private Casebook / Heart of Hush + Streets of Gotham : Hush Money / Leviathan / The House of Hush - (Hush + Paul Dini's run)
    • Batman: Under The Red Hood + Red Hood : The lost days
    • JLA: Tower of Babel
    • Birth of the Demon + Son of the Demon + The Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul + Batman and Son
    • Final Crisis + Batle for the Cowl + Batman & Robin + Batman in Time
    • Batman Incorporated + Batman & Robin New52 + Robin War + Robin, Son of Batman
    • The Sage of Owls
    • Batman / Catwoman (the Tom King Era)
    • Batman & The Batmen (James Tynion IV's run)
    • Dark Knights: Metal

Then you have stories on specific vilains or mini-series:

• Batman and Man-Bat (by Neal Adams)
    • Batman: Snow
    • Batman: Gothic
    • Batman: Ego
    • Batman: Europa
    • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell
    • Batman: Jekyll & Hyde
    • Dark Knight, Dark City
    • Gates of Gotham
    • Batman, the dark knight: Cycle of violence
    • Batman: Emperor Penguin
    • Batman: The Wrath / Gothtopia
    • Batman: Icarus / Anarky
    • Batman / TMNT
    • The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman

There are also great elsworlds

• Batman/Dracula: Red Rain + Batman: Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson mist
    • Gotham by Gaslight + The Doom that came to Gotham
    • Batman: Earth-One
    • Batman: White Knight / Curse of the White Knight
    • Batman: Year 100
    Last edited by jb681131; 02-27-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post

That's the first thing I thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post

Well the big Batman Stories are:

• Year One + Batman & the Monster Men + Batman & the Mad Monk + Batman Prey + Batman Terror + The Man Who Laughs
    • The Long Halloween + Dark Victory
    • Batman: Under The Red Hood + Red Hood : The lost days

There are also great elsworlds

• Batman/Dracula: Red Rain + Batman: Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson mist
    • Gotham by Gaslight + The Doom that came to Gotham
    • Batman: Earth-One
    • Batman: White Knight / Curse of the White Knight
    • Batman: Year 100
    And that takes care of everything else I was going to suggest. I bolded the ones I especially want to see.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Robin Dies At Dawn
    Daughter of the Demon
    The Demon Strikes Again
    Contagion
    Dark Knight Dark City
    Batman and Son
    The Black Glove
    Court of Owls (heavily influenced by Eyes Wide Shut)
    I am Suicide (the highlights- Bane getting off the juice and taking over Santa Prisca/Batman having to invade)

At this point Dark Knight Dark City would be my #1 pick.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-27-2020 at 07:52 PM.

Uh, pass on Red Hood: Lost Days please. However, the main Under the Red Hood story was adapted as an animated standalone (and kind of in the Lego-verse). But I would be interested in seeing it as part of an ongoing animated universe, personally. Could even bring back Jensen Ackles to reprise Jason. Apparently not part of the current animated film-verse (and its a big question mark for Young Justice, depending on the net time skip). But still.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    […]
    Actually not: the Catwoman of 1989 was heavily based Batman Year One, so I choose the wrong title! Even if it is a good story.

Detective Comics/Night of the monster men.
    Snyder/Capullo's Superheavy but with Luke instead of Gordon.

I’d like to see Robin Year One adapted. Followed by Batgirl Year One / Nightwing Year One
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

I wonder how audiences would react to a live action Helena Wayne Huntress? Obviously people know who Bruce Wayne and Catwoman are, so would it work as an experiment of sorts. If not her then Live action Damian would be neat.

If not that then the long list of good Batman stories people have already supplied will work.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I wonder how audiences would react to a live action Helena Wayne Huntress? Obviously people know who Bruce Wayne and Catwoman are, so would it work as an experiment of sorts. If not her then Live action Damian would be neat.

If not that then the long list of good Batman stories people have already supplied will work.
    They could be open to it, provided it was explained in some way during the film.

The Bruce and Selina's affair is one of the most famous love story of the comics, even outside the world of the comics readers, so I think that almost everybody will consider the adventures of Helena Wayne like something expected.