Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    123

    Default What are the best 'used' book deals you've scored?

    This isn't the cheapest hobby, so I'm always on the lookout for sweet deals from fellow collectors or people just unloading books they don't want anymore. Saving money always feels good .....what are some of the best deals you've scored?

    Some of my best hardcover buys (all mine are in Canadian Dollars....so even cheaper for my US brethren) :

    1. Big Damn Sin City - $50 (before the reprint when everybody wanted $200+ for it)
    2. Sandman Omnibus Vol.1 - $50 (not sure the guy liked it much so sold it off cheap)
    3. Parker: The Martini Edition - $40 (ended up gifting this to a friend for Christmas and having to buy my own copy for $100 lol)
    4. Sin City Library Edition Boxed Set Vol.1 - $60 (The double dipping begins.....can't pass up a good deal lol)
    5. Wolverine: The Adamantium Collection - $75 (a guy just liquidating his collection....but this is one of those 'is this a deal if I never would have bought this otherwise' purchases lol)
    6. Daredevil Frank Miller Omnibus - $50 (same guy as above)
    7. Chew Omnivore Edition Vol. 1 to 6 - $120 (fellow hardcover collector just making room in his collection)
    8. Invincible Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 & 2 - $10....total. (the 'problem' here, now I need to find deals on the remaining 10 volumes )
    9. DMZ Deluxe Edition Vol. 1 to 5 - $150 (Another collector making room. The real value here is buying them all at once and not having to track down deals for each volume)


    Lemme know some of you best finds.
    Last edited by FreakyFraser; 02-27-2020 at 02:10 PM.

  2. #2
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Some of my best finds below.

    1. Phalanx Covenant OHC for $52 which I traded straight up for Tomb of Dracula Omnibus Vol 2
    2. Punisher by Remender Omnibus $61
    3. ASM Omnibus Vol 1-4 $415
    4. JSA Omnibus Vol 1-3 $68 which I resold for a profit of $118
    5. Conan Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol 1 DM Variant $125
    6. Iron Man by Michelinie Omnibus $66
    7. Madman Gargantua $68
    8. The Sleeper Omnibus $70
    9. Deadpool by Kelly Omnibus $80
    10. Moon Knight Epic Collections Vol 1-3 $85
    11. Death of Captain America + Captain America Lives Omnibus $155
    12. Wolverine and the X-Men Omnibus $115
    13. Clone Saga Omnibus Vol 1-2 $130

  3. #3
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    4,029

    Default

    There are quite a few Amazon resellers that consistently have great deals. If you're okay with an occasional remainder mark or corners that aren't razor sharp, you can often find trades for 60%+ off cover price. Before Marvel's Epic Collections started going out of print so quickly, I would often wait a couple months after release and pick up several at a time. My favorite resellers include Plumcircle, Bookoutlet, Newbury Comics, and Lehigh Valley Comics.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  4. #4
    Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    There are quite a few Amazon resellers that consistently have great deals. If you're okay with an occasional remainder mark or corners that aren't razor sharp, you can often find trades for 60%+ off cover price. Before Marvel's Epic Collections started going out of print so quickly, I would often wait a couple months after release and pick up several at a time. My favorite resellers include Plumcircle, Bookoutlet, Newbury Comics, and Lehigh Valley Comics.
    Yeah I've used Amazon Marketplace for a bunch of solid deals.....and Bookoutlet as well. I'll have to check the others. Most of my best finds have been through Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji (online sell site in Canada.....like Craigslist)

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    931

    Default

    One of the lcs was buying collections so he had a $.10 around 2010 and 2011. The majority of the comi were from the 90s and from the previews 2 years. I ended up filling a long box.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member seusilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Sorocaba, Brasil
    Posts
    181

    Default

    My best deal ever is 100 Bullets HC Vol.2 for something like 8 dollars, three or four years ago. The book was in perfect conditions but I think the book store didn't had any idea about the book value.

  7. #7
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    64

    Default

    I got vols. 1-12 of the OHCs Of Ultimate Spider-man, plus the Death omni for $482.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kuna, Idaho
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Planet Hulk Hardcover for $7.98 used at Hastings back in 2012. Thought someone had swapped price tags on it, but no -- it was labeled at Planet Hulk and legitimately rang up for $8 and change.
    Hulk Visionaries Volumes 5 & 6 have been creeping up in value for years. Found them at a comic store in San Diego in 2013 for $20 brand new.
    I also got the first volumes of the FF and Spider-Man omnibus for $40 at Hasting as well. It was around the holidays and there was a big % off sales going on.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    I didnt get these from a book store but at a yard sale I went to a few years back the guy had 20 volumes of Essential comics and Showcase Presents. You know the black and white reprints. I got all 20 of them for 60 bucks.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

    Pull List - Lois Lane, Amazing Mary Jane, Black Cat, Doctor Doom, Gwen Stacy, Jane Foster Valkyrie, Morbius Savage Avengers, Strike Force, Something Is Killing The Children


    Baby Blob's Comic Blog - https://sites.google.com/view/my-comic-journey/home Updates every Wednesday at 10 Am and Saturday at 7 Pm.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member Rimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Mine was just very recent. I found the War of Kings omnibus at a used bookstore = $51!! That was one of my white whales, now going for $200+ on ebay and elsewhere. So happy! And it's practically brand new, to boot.

    I don't have specifics anymore, but I've found some decent books at bookstores - it's always thrilling to go into a used bookstore. While 95% of the time it's a total bust, that once in a while makes the trip(s) totally worthwhile!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

  11. #11
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Mine was just very recent. I found the War of Kings omnibus at a used bookstore = $51!! That was one of my white whales, now going for $200+ on ebay and elsewhere. So happy! And it's practically brand new, to boot.

    I don't have specifics anymore, but I've found some decent books at bookstores - it's always thrilling to go into a used bookstore. While 95% of the time it's a total bust, that once in a while makes the trip(s) totally worthwhile!
    Wow that's a great deal. What bookstore did you get that at?

  12. #12
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    saw a plain ad on kijiji (think Canadian Craig's list) for 'comic book omnibuses'. messaged the guy, agreed that I could come over. Well he had the most amazing collection of stuff. And i had a huge collection to begin with. I spent a few thousand over several visits, never paying more than 25% of cover for various omnibuses, artist editions, PS artbooks, rare artbooks, slipcase editions, etc.

    kind of a sad story but it was all his uncles collection and he passed away, and bequeathed it to the nephew. it was kind of eerie because he had several different lines that were complete up to a point, then stopped, when he passed away.

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member FreakyFraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grither View Post
    saw a plain ad on kijiji (think Canadian Craig's list) for 'comic book omnibuses'. messaged the guy, agreed that I could come over. Well he had the most amazing collection of stuff. And i had a huge collection to begin with. I spent a few thousand over several visits, never paying more than 25% of cover for various omnibuses, artist editions, PS artbooks, rare artbooks, slipcase editions, etc.

    kind of a sad story but it was all his uncles collection and he passed away, and bequeathed it to the nephew. it was kind of eerie because he had several different lines that were complete up to a point, then stopped, when he passed away.
    Damn.......a bittersweet deal for sure.

  14. #14
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I think I paid like $30 or so for Marvel's Oz Omnibus, with the Scottie Young art. It was remaindered a few years back, and eBay did a coupon.

    A couple weeks ago, I loaded up on Star Wars Epics for $5-6 at Ollies.

  15. #15
    Incredible Member Rimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nab432 View Post
    Wow that's a great deal. What bookstore did you get that at?
    Half price books, a midwestern chain.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •