Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default Someone close to you gets Cancer

Just being told. What to do??

This is a tough question. I would say just tell them "I am here for you, whatever you need." Let them decide how much to talk about it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Agreed. Be very supportive. But realize also if they have to go through some of the treatments they might be too tired for a lot of company. They may come home and take a long nap. You may have to wait on them to let you know when they are up for visitors at home.

Ultimate Member

I have a family member and a co-worker struggling with the disease. Just try to be there for them in whatever way you can.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Above all else, be supportive. Do all you can. And be strong, both for you and your loved one. I lost my mother to lung cancer in 1993, and not a day passes that I don't wonder if I could done more to help her.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I've lost several people I've loved to cancer. It is never easy. You be supportive and try to keep them upbeat (admittedly a difficult task), let them know you are there for them. When you are alone is often the hardest part, when you can be brutally honest with yourself.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Thanx for your support. Sebastian

Astonishing Member

Like has already been mentioned, be supportive if they want talk, but understand if they donĀ’t. If it’s possible, offer your ‘chauffeur services, if they need rides to treatment, if they have small kids, offer ‘baby sitting services’

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You are most welcome.

Hang in there and best of luck.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You are very welcome. I hope that there is a good outcome if they are undergoing treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Above all else, be supportive. Do all you can. And be strong, both for you and your loved one. I lost my mother to lung cancer in 1993, and not a day passes that I don't wonder if I could done more to help her.
    This. I also lost my mom when I was 16. I was still very immature and didn't really realize the magnitude of her illness. I know I could have done so much more like being there for her and telling her how much I loved her.

If this person is very close to you, don't waste time and show all your love and support when they need it. If not too close, show concern and also be supportive when you can. Try to cheer them up a bit instead of showing too much sadness.

Thank everyone of you for the support and all the posts still coming. Now I have slept over it and will give all the support and help he accepts to my best friend if he wants it.

Find good doctors, and be very very patient, cause some patients will get angry and frustrated a lot.

And as a Muslim, having faith in Allah helped my mother a lot, and helped us a lot during the sad times.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Find good doctors, and be very very patient, cause some patients will get angry and frustrated a lot.

And as a Muslim, having faith in Allah helped my mother a lot, and helped us a lot during the sad times.
    This is true. Many might openly scoff but faith helped the people in my life (including those who lost their struggle) a great deal during their darkest days.

Boisterously Confused

Agree with all of the above. In addition, small things matter more than we might realize. My mother, for example, loved her garden and a friend weeding it for her meant the world. At the same time, be aware that the declining ability to do things for themself will be frustrating for your friend. Don't let it throw you if the reaction to your help isn't appreciative at first. Be patient.

One thing more: take time to take care of yourself too. This is going to be draining. Do some things to recharge your own "hope tank."