Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    The theory doesn't work for all the past movies thanks to Skyfall (most overrated Bond movie ever) but move forward with the plot convention that James Bond is just a code name for 007. Then you can cast anyone. Keep the Craig movies as canon but write in something why he is no longer active but the legend of James Bond needs to continue in the spy world. Then if you want to cast Idris Elba it makes sense continuity wise and even offers up little jokes throughout the movie about him not quite looking like they expected.
    That just doesn't really seem plausible. There can be more then one 007 but using someone else's name? It just seems a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That just doesn't really seem plausible. There can be more then one 007 but using someone else's name? It just seems a bit much.
    I just like it because it ends all the arguments about diversity casting. Right now James Bond is white and that is canon so it should be a white actor who plays him. However if you make it a code name much like a superhero name then its just a legacy replacement. Which is why Falcon being Captain America in the Marvel movies is great as Sam Wilson became Captain America rather than Steve Rogers becoming a black Captain America.

The code-name theory is poison, imo. Certainly the hard-core Bond fans hate it, and if you go ahead with the idea that Bond has been killed and replaced by someone else, then you are pretty much banging another nail into your hero's coffin by supporting the replacement by seeing his films. It's very different from the Captain America idea, because you know they had lost Chris Evans and were wary of recasting. Even so, Sam Wilson Cap has not been given his own series of films yet, and I suspect they want to see how the public take to him on TV before trying a new series of films.

I just like it because it ends all the arguments about diversity casting. Right now James Bond is white and that is canon so it should be a white actor who plays him. However if you make it a code name much like a superhero name then its just a legacy replacement. Which is why Falcon being Captain America in the Marvel movies is great as Sam Wilson became Captain America rather than Steve Rogers becoming a black Captain America.
    Yeah, but...it's an actual name, it's not really equivalent to a Superhero codename at least in a way that would make sense from an in-universe standpoint. Who sees a government agency making a special agent take on another person's name as their own when they already give them a codename to begin with?

If they cast a black guy as Bond then that guy will have been Bond his whole life and have the same background.

But you're mixing things up. Sam Wilson didn't become Steve Rogers, he became Captain America.
    James Bond = name (aka Steve Rogers)
    007 = superhero name (aka Captain America)
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    But you're mixing things up. Sam Wilson didn't become Steve Rogers, he became Captain America.
    James Bond = name (aka Steve Rogers)
    007 = superhero name (aka Captain America)
    I think (i hope) the poster meant to say rather than Sam Wilson becoming a black Captain America. That is the only way it makes sense.

Astonishing Member

They can have Bond's not both be white and have a non-white James Bond. It's not like the wealthy don't marry and have children with non-white people.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/...Fsussex-16.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    They can have Bond's not both be white and have a non-white James Bond. It's not like the wealthy don't marry and have children with non-white people.

https://imagesvc.meredithcorp.io/v3/...Fsussex-16.jpg
    Would A light skinned Latino bond work for you?

People need to let James Bonds race be. He is not hurting or mocking anyone being white.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I think (i hope) the poster meant to say rather than Sam Wilson becoming a black Captain America. That is the only way it makes sense.
    ???
    Sam Wilson IS Captain America. Period. Not "black" Captain America, just plain ol' Cap.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-14-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Would A light skinned Latino bond work for you?

People need to let James Bonds race be. He is not hurting or mocking anyone being white.
    Any race would be fine with me. James Bond being white isn't something which we can't change and keep it faithful. Why can't Bond be anything other than white, like I said it's plausible his parents, one or both, could be non-white.

Is there any harm in him not being white? Representation matters.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 03-14-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Whoever is the next Bond, I want them to be a cock sure alpha male who enjoys being alive, and not the world weary misery guts we now have.