Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I don't think I have any favorite deaths.
    Unless we count the Pre-DC Spirit. Or the Spirit Archives, since they were printed by DC.
    Then I'd say Gerhard Shnobble.

As for least favorite deaths:
    (Tie)
    Sue Dibney
    Tora Olafsdotter
    Ted Kord
    Maxwell Lord
    Dmitri Pushkin
    Vivian and Constance D'Aramis
    Rosabelle Mendez
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Favourite..Tommy Monaghan (Hitman)...in context of the series it was perfectly in character that he would die in a hail of bullets...and the plotting, characterisation, etc leading up to that inevitable death were superb.
    I was going to add this one!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

Favorite - Terra (Tara Markov)

Least Favorite - Sue Dibny for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    By favorite, I don't necessarily mean you hated the character and wanted them to die. But maybe you feel that the story and everything that surrounded the death made it almost perfect.

Least favorite death could be because you loved the character or you just feel it was pointless and senseless to kill of the character. (Roy Harper comes to mind)
    Best -- Supergirl in COIE
    Worst -- Batwoman -- killed off-panel by Bronze Tiger
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Aquaman turned into the Dweller of The Deep and then killed by his amnesiac dead son in a very underwhelming way.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Best -- Supergirl in COIE
    Worst -- Batwoman -- killed off-panel by Bronze Tiger
    But Batwoman got better! Plus she needed to go as there were writers who wanted to push Selina again, and while plot can always explain why Bruce would choose Selina over Talia, there's no valid explanation for why anyone would choose Selina over Kathy.

...Unless , of course, Kathy has been drawn back into her father's world as a super spy and fakes her own death in order to protect her loved ones and gradually becomes corrupted by that life.

Retired

When Kathy Kane returned in the 1970s, she was her own woman not Bruce Wayne's arm candy. In the 1970s, the Schwartz titles revived a lot of the characters that had been ignored when Schwartz took over the Batman franchise. There was Kathy Kane, Tony Gordon, Betty Kane--and later, but I think not from Schwartz, there was Bat-Mite and Vicki Vale. I like that. It didn't mean that they had a contract to appear in every comic thereafter--it just meant that if a writer wanted to use them, he could.

The Kathy Kane death--after Schwartz had to give up Batman and most other characters for the sake of editing the Superman titles--was a pointless death. With Paul Levitz as editor and Denny O'Neil writer, it goes to a pattern with them, where they killed off a lot of characters, just for the thrill of it--whenever there was a character they didn't want around. I always hated that--just because they didn't have any use for a character didn't mean some other writer or editor wouldn't.

best:

the super deaths

in order

3-Superman against Doomsday
    2-Supergirl in Crisis
    1-Superboy in the legion of superheroes baxter serie

Worst

all the characters death in hero in crisis.

Cheap meaningless and assassination for wally

Green Arrow's the worst I've seen. Surprised it didn't get many mentions. It doesn't even make any sense.

So he's in a plane with a bomb strapped to him....and Superman is standing next to him....and yet Superman couldn't save him? He couldn't disable the bomb with his kryptonian tech knowledge or fly the plane away? It was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Green Arrow's the worst I've seen. Surprised it didn't get many mentions. It doesn't even make any sense.

So he's in a plane with a bomb strapped to him....and Superman is standing next to him....and yet Superman couldn't save him? He couldn't disable the bomb with his kryptonian tech knowledge or fly the plane away? It was stupid.
    Shlock deaths was the name of the game to get speculators to buy multiple copies in the 90's. And to make Connor Hawke the "new" Green Arrow.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-02-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post

Least favorite, anything Geoff Johns did. Mostly, he loves sudden, super violent deaths for mostly minor heroes for shock value, that serve little to no purpose to the story. Also, anyone the Amazons murdered in that horrid Amazon's Attack thing.
    CONNER KENT!! He is my favorite Comic Character, but his death in IC was well written and heroic.

Retired

The deaths of Wing and Red Tornado in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 100 - 102. I hardly knew who Wing was at that time, but I got choked up when he and RT sacrificed themselves. And the panel by Dick Dillin showing their spirits in the sky forever remains in my minds' eye. That was the first for real death of a super-hero that I had read, so it had a big impact. Of course, Reddy came back--he was a robot after all, so that didn't feel like a cheat. But Wing, the unknown soldier, laid down his life for his friends.