Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Mighty Member

The creative team at Justice League Dark has sparked my interest in Wonder Woman. Usually Batman is my big three go to person, but I'm going to start giving it a read.

I think this thread has had a very nice discussion so far and has highlighted multiple concurrent problems with the Wonder Woman franchise (with some problems extending to other DC properties outside of Batman).

Seems like most people have come to the conclusion that the lack of male readership isn't the problem. I think it's really just the quality of writing plus exposure. Maybe a cartoon could help? Who knows. DC would really have to invest in her while not changing who she is to be as "cool" as Batman. She's cool on her own if you write her right.

(Also, why isn't this thread in the Wonder Woman section? That area of the board needs more traffic)

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I don't regularly buy any books from the Trinity. I do, however, pick up a storyline here and there if it seems interesting to me and the creative team gets me excited. I bought the Azzarello/ Chiang Wonder Woman because of the art at first, then because I liked where the story was going.
    I second this.

I picked up the book because I liked the art and thought the direction Azzarello was taking the character sounded interesting and ended up enjoying the run.

I don't think Wonder Woman needs more male sidekicks. I think she needs better stories in general. Other times I've checked out her books I've found the stories middle of the road and uninteresting which lead to me not continuing to read her solo books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    52%. So technically this is true.
    56% according to Statista. Nothing technical about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I think this thread has had a very nice discussion so far and has highlighted multiple concurrent problems with the Wonder Woman franchise (with some problems extending to other DC properties outside of Batman).

Seems like most people have come to the conclusion that the lack of male readership isn't the problem. I think it's really just the quality of writing plus exposure. Maybe a cartoon could help? Who knows. DC would really have to invest in her while not changing who she is to be as "cool" as Batman. She's cool on her own if you write her right.
    Better writing in her main comic could help, but I also think the demographics of the floppies distinctly work against her. The Warbringer novel spent several weeks on the NYTimes YA bestseller list, and "Diana Princess of the Amazons" by the Hales went into a second printing and apparently has sold over 200K copies.

The problem isn't Wonder Woman. The problem is with DC and the comics market they work in.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

Just a personal observation; at my LCS, about 90% of patrons are male, and nearly every patron I've seen pick up a copy of WW was male. I think if anything, the question should be how to attract more FEMALE readers, not just to WW, but to comics as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Better writing in her main comic could help, but I also think the demographics of the floppies distinctly work against her. The Warbringer novel spent several weeks on the NYTimes YA bestseller list, and "Diana Princess of the Amazons" by the Hales went into a second printing and apparently has sold over 200K copies.

The problem isn't Wonder Woman. The problem is with DC and the comics market they work in.
    I mean it's common knowledge that the direct market hinders the growth of comic readership. It goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    56% according to Statista. Nothing technical about it.
    You’ll have a hard time convincing me 52%-56% is a stat demonstrating a primarily female audience. Clearly WW has appeal across male and female demo.

50 shades for instance was 68%. That is a chick flick.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

You’ll have a hard time convincing me 52%-56% is a stat demonstrating a primarily female audience. Clearly WW has appeal across male and female demo.

50 shades for instance was 68%. That is a chick flick.
    I really don't get what you're trying to argue here. I am not saying that Wonder Woman doesn't have appeal for male demographics but her movie audiences were more female than male.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I really don't get what you're trying to argue here. I am not saying that Wonder Woman doesn't have appeal for male demographics but her movie audiences were more female than male.
    Someone was trying to make a point earlier that the WW film was watched primarily by females. Which is true only technically. I'm saying that pointing out that the WW film was attended in theaters by females 2%-6% more than males is really not worth noting. The statistic says little about WW and her appeal to genders except that she appeals roughly the same to males and females.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Someone was trying to make a point earlier that the WW film was watched primarily by females. Which is true only technically. I'm saying that pointing out that the WW film was attended in theaters by females 2%-6% more than males is really not worth noting. The statistic says little about WW and her appeal to genders except that she appeals roughly the same to males and females.
    I mean.... That says a lot actually since since typical superhero movie viewership is a lot more male dominated.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Actually the difference is 4/12% because 100%–52%=48% (I'm pedantic, I know), but I agree with you: the difference isn't so strong to say Wonder Woman have a primarily female audience; even if it is a remarkable data for a superhero movie. Anyway the problem (at least for me) is that usually the audience of a movie doesn't become reader of the book that inspired the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Yes and that is the core of the question: while the Batman is defined by his crusade against the criminality, so he can have all kind of supporting characters and/or counterparts, Wonder Woman is defined by her be woman, a woman able to do everything Superman can do and this limits the possibility to create a supporting character and/or a counterpart for her, above all because the most successful counterparts aren't the ones who are a simply variant of the original hero, but the ones who are totally different.
    Look to Batman: who is his greatest counterpart?
    Batwoman? No.
    Nightwing? No.
    Azrael? No.
    Catwoman! The only ones able to bring into question everything Batman is and what would happen to Wonder Woman's franchise, if someone created a character able to put into question everything Wonder Woman is?
    Artemis of the Bana Mighdall.

BANNED

I get as much Wonder Woman as possible for my budget as trades.

I got Perez Omnibuses, Azzarello Absolutes, Phil Jimenez Omnibus and some hard covers. And a mini statue

What Wonder Woman needs is better Writers and better Artists.and maybe more ''People'' would find her a lil more instrestring.fix some of the crap yal have messed up w her extended Family.ARTEMIS.NUBIS.CASSIE.FURY.GRACE CHOI and especially poor DONNA.DC has basically taken the girl next door and DESTROYED Her.i don't know what it is they have against WONDER WOMAN and the TITANS.but let it go and do right by them and give less attention to the Batman and more to the other heroes in the DC Universe.