Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Isn't WW's readership already majority male though?
    My experience on this topic is exactly opposite the initial assumption: Most of WW's fanbase is male, not female. Like 80%+, I'd guess. Which makes sense if you think of the historical demographics of cape comics. I haven't known a ton of comic fans in my life, but most of them were male. Several of them bought Wonder Woman comics on the regular. And Supergirl.

I've never known a woman who's been into Wonder Woman - on any level. Not even the TV show, which I watched reruns of as a kid. Within my own household, my daughters both love fantasy, superheroes, and both read comics and manga in their teens. But until the Gal Gadot movie, neither even remotely liked WW. My younger daughter always called her boring. But after watching the Gal Gadot movie, she said that version was "badass". She loves warrior characters. So...progress, I guess?

What's so controversial? Lol.

I think it's a safe bet that the majority of comic book readers in general are male. That also applies to wonder woman comics.

Aside from that, the main issue with wonder woman is her rogues gallery. A hero is only as good or interesting as the villains who challenge them. And in that regard she is lacking compared to characters like batman or superman.

Cheetahs cool and all but I wouldn't exactly place her on the same scale as lex or myself.

The new 52 run was cool tho.

Wonder woman has a rather decently sized rogues gallery. It's just criminally undermined and underdeveloped. Only like 3 or 4 of them are typically used anymore.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think of the Trinity, Wonder Woman has the best Golden Age rogues gallery. They're garish, fun and have cool design. Batman and Superman were starting to get their iconic foes there, but most of them didn't get cemented into who we know them as today until the Silver and Bronze ages.

The lack of support/usage in those eras really hurt them, along with Wonder Woman. Alan Moore cited her lack of a clear arch nemesis in this era as one her drawbacks, and it's hard to disagree.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Wonder woman has a rather decently sized rogues gallery. It's just criminally undermined and underdeveloped. Only like 3 or 4 of them are typically used anymore.
    The Greek pantheon and the Amazon's being shady have become a crutch for writers, which is why they neglect WW other rogues.