Extraordinary Member

Default Monkey D. Luffy vs. The Five Kage

Just a fight I thought could be interesting.

The captain of the Straw Hat Pirates takes on the leaders of the shinobi world, from the era of the Fourth Shinobi War. So:

- A
    - Tsunade
    - Gaara
    - Onohki
    - Mei Termin

Luffy takes them all on at once, and the fight takes place in the flower capital of Wano country (because why not). Who wins in this part of the eternal pirate/ninja War?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

They genjutsu him and then Onoki dusts him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    They genjutsu him and then Onoki dusts him.
    And which one of them has a genjutsu like that now again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    And which one of them has a genjutsu like that now again?
    It's meant to be a key basic ninja ability and Luffy has notoriously bad defence to mental attacks. Even if it's just like a basic sleep jutsu, I imagine any of them could do it.

Extraordinary Member

It's meant to be a key basic ninja ability and Luffy has notoriously bad defence to mental attacks. Even if it's just like a basic sleep jutsu, I imagine any of them could do it.
    While genjutsu is one of the three main categories of ninja abilities it's not like the water/wall walking or substitution stuff that pretty everybody can do. To do anything of note with genjutsu I imagine that you'd have to have some proficiency with it. None of these characters have shown that kind of proficency. We have two that focused on taijutsu (one of which doubles as a healer) and three that main ninjutsu. Just saying that they can use techniques that we've never seen any of them use feels iffy, especially when it's not part of their general fighting style.

And what counts as a "basic sleep jutsu" anyway? Does it require you to touch the opponent, look them in the eyes or can you just make a sign and say sleep and the opponent falls asleep while within a certain distance? There's that one that all the sand ninja used during the chunin exam, but that one didn't exactly seem basic and, again, we've never seen these characters use that technique.

Alright, for the sake of argument, let's assume that five of the most accomplished ninja in the setting can't use genjutsu to even a basic degree.

This immediately becomes a lot harder for them. The hardest part is pinning Luffy down. Between his precog and raw stat advantage no one who isn't A or Tsunade is taking a hit and walking away.

Both Mei and Oonoki have moves that can one shot him but his speed and mobility will make that hard to do. Perhaps A and Tsunade engage in hand to hand to slow him down, Gaara then drops a city load of sand on them to seal them and then Oonoki dusts them from the sky.

That could work.

In Dark Soul's defence, Naruto is Hokage and he cant do genjutsu at all iirc. Same for Jiraiya who was a candidate for hokage but refused the position. We havent to my recollection seen the 5 use genjutsu so i agree they shouldnt be spotted it.

Luffy takes this in my opinion also, too fast and strong at this point.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I would imagine that Conquerer's Haki might give him some sort of defense against actual psychic effects, though I don't know if it would do something to protect against even rudimentary forms of mundane hypnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I would imagine that Conquerer's Haki might give him some sort of defense against actual psychic effects, though I don't know if it would do something to protect against even rudimentary forms of mundane hypnosis.
    Can you explain your rationale for this?

What's Conqueror's Haki got to do with psychic effects?

Can you explain your rationale for this?

What's Conqueror's Haki got to do with psychic effects?
    Conquerer's Haki itself is a massive psychic sledgehammer that Luffy can use to instantly KO entire armies and tame dangerous animals and likely helps him resist similar effects from even stronger people, though in retrospect Observation Haki might help better with actual illusions by way of precognition.

Edit: Also, ISTR that doing something analogous to flaring your aura was supposed to help break genjutsu, but I don't remember anyone ever successfully doing that, though I think that Naruto explicitly failed at it when he tried.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 02-29-2020 at 11:29 PM.

Unrelated, but has anyone ever used the vanilla version of the Bunshin no Jutsu in actual combat in the entire series?

Conquerer's Haki itself is a massive psychic sledgehammer that Luffy can use to instantly KO entire armies and tame dangerous animals and likely helps him resist similar effects from even stronger people, though in retrospect Observation Haki might help better with actual illusions by way of precognition.

Edit: Also, ISTR that doing something analogous to flaring your aura was supposed to help break genjutsu, but I don't remember anyone ever successfully doing that, though I think that Naruto explicitly failed at it when he tried.
    But it's not psychic in nature. It's more analogous to reiatsu from Bleach. It's raw presence and an expression of power, there's no evidence that I can think of that it would help him resist someone subverting his senses.

Observation Haki would be more likely to throw off genjutsu, as you note, because he'd be looking into the future where the illusion might not be in effect or something.

Unrelated, but has anyone ever used the vanilla version of the Bunshin no Jutsu in actual combat in the entire series?
    If I remember correctly, Sakura did exactly once during her preliminary match against Ino and that's it.

Though I do recall Naruto using it sometimes in fanfics, but that was only in conjunction with the Kage Bunshin to confuse opponents in regards to whether or not the clone attacking them could be ignored or not.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

This immediately becomes a lot harder for them. The hardest part is pinning Luffy down. Between his precog and raw stat advantage no one who isn't A or Tsunade is taking a hit and walking away.

Both Mei and Oonoki have moves that can one shot him but his speed and mobility will make that hard to do. Perhaps A and Tsunade engage in hand to hand to slow him down, Gaara then drops a city load of sand on them to seal them and then Oonoki dusts them from the sky.

That could work.
    It is certainly an option. But not one that's easily pulled off.

I think that Luffy's too fast for Tsunade even in his base form and with his current level of observation haki and gears I don't think that she can hang with him at all. A does somewhat better thanks to his speed, but he's got nothing to really hurt Luffy and he loses in terms of raw strength. So the best is probably for those two and Gaara to act as distractions (A with speed while Tsunade summons her slugs to mess with him and Gaara chases after him with sand) and have Mei and Onoki aiming for something that could actually hurt the guy.

They'd have to do it before Luffy activates gear fourth too. If he pulls that off then they're screwed me thinks