Astonishing Member

Default Has Marvel Comics transformed into DC Comics?

It's bad enough that Marvel has become Pre-Crisis DC Comics. I liked Marvel Comics of 1961 to 1985 because the company as Anti-DC comics. After DC Comics Crisis on Infinite Earths, everything changed for the worst. DC decides to become Marvel Comics of the 1990's.

Spectacular Member

Elaborate on what you mean? How do you define "anti-dc" or "transforming" into DC?

I was just talking to a friend about this, and we agree that Marvel has become like DC in one very important way:
    While DC has made a total mess of all its legacy heroes, Marvel has embraced them.
    There have been more active legacy heroes, and legacies headlining books, at Marvel than there have been at DC since before the New 52.
    Or at least it feels like that; Marvel has made a concerted effort to explore the idea of legacy and the inspirational impact of its heroes, while DC has been spinning its wheels trying to re-jig its continuity.

And I for one am very happy about this.

Mighty Member

I have been thinking this for...a few years.

Over the last 5~10 years, Marvel has become more like DC in the sense that Marvel is more driven by high-concept rather than simply the characters.

Traditionally (pre-"Final Crisis"), DC was more approachable because it did not require readers to know/care about comics, especially if they had enough outside reference points. (There is no need to know/care about comics if reading "Red Son". In contrast, even as Marvel is pushing away from long-term continuity now, readers expect comics to be self-referential because that was how Marvel had worked for years.)

Mind you, I also read more Marvel because I get more for my money (even if I pay a bit more per issue).
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/