Page 177 of 189 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 2833

Two things I'm looking forward to tomorrow:
    1. Pepe Larraz's art on Destruction and
    2. This bullsh!t event being over!

House of X and Powers of X were glorious on all fronts. X of Swords-a ridiculous, even too silly for a comic book waste of time. The set up was great. I was really into the swords and the tarot aspects of it (I was even happy to see mentions of Tarot in the data pages).
    But, pin the tail on the donkey, puzzles and fashion shows.
    Naw, this even was a huge disappointment. The only goods thing were the Larraz and Cassara art.
    I'm still a hardcore X-Men fan and will keep buying books, but DAMN, MARVEL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Just as we are approaching the finale of this X-over, with the last 3 chapters being released tomorrow, I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 and say I've been enjoy X of Swords immensely: I think the X-books are at their best when all the writers involved work in concert to create a single, unified narrative and boy did they deliver. The story flows seamlessly from one issue to the other, the stakes are high, the characters both old and new are engaging and the abrupt change of tone towards the comedic was a brilliant and hilarious masterstroke.

I have a feeling tomorrow's issues will bring back a more serious tone and higher stakes - as far as I'm concerned the bar has been set pretty high by the various creative teams so I have very high hopes for a good ending.

The one writer I unfortunately have to single out as a negative is Tini Howard on her solo Excalibur efforts. Her writing, pacing, character work just don't work for me, all of her Excalibur run has been very boring and an utter waste of an otherwise excellent cast of characters.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I had the same experience. I was really looking forward to it.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Is it wrong of me that I sort of wanted this event to be more of a cliche tournament crossover?
    A battle each issue, in different surroundings with different goals (not these stupid rules like an arm wrestle, mind) would have been far more thrilling...and let us feel fear as Arrako won more and more. Instead we’ve had a points system that doesn’t quite make sense.
    If we’d watch it edge towards a tie ahead of the big Apocalypse fight then I wouldn’t have minded as much.

Also, Gorgon should have won every battle he was in. He was too badass to kill in Hickmans first crossover
    Same here.

As others have pointed out..."cliche" could have still been interesting and exciting and game-changing. And it would have been so refreshing.
    Arm wrestling, puzzle building, a Spelling Bee and an ad hoc wedding are everything but.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-24-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Mighty Member

You know if Jason Aaron had written this event in the exact same way Hickman and comp has all the defenders of this event would be panning it as garbage and saying Aaron is way to silly. Just shows how everything is subjective, some are so invested in the Krakoa era they will accept, praise and defend anything that the x-writers put out. While denigrating every other non x event (Empyre, War of the Realms and even the upcoming King in Black). It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    What are you suggesting try new things and user the character who fits the story better even if their not the popular one. If they did that how could I watch the same group of a dozen characters be used over and over again geting mangled to fit storys they have no reasion being use and becoming mangled convoluted parodys of then self for naustalga bate in a loop of regression and stagnation.
    I have no idea what you’re trying to convey here. But there’s trying new things and then there’s ignoring a character’s entire history and prior characterization — and not even just the original version, but the new kid version who was shown to be a ruthless soldier in Extermination and X-Force after that. Just saying, it’s not creative. It’s sloppy and lazy. That’s why they have editors, at least in theory.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    You know if Jason Aaron had written this event in the exact same way Hickman and comp has all the defenders of this event would be panning it as garbage and saying Aaron is way to silly. Just shows how everything is subjective, some are so invested in the Krakoa era they will accept, praise and defend anything that the x-writers put out. While denigrating every other non x event (Empyre, War of the Realms and even the upcoming King in Black). It is what it is.
    It depends on the individual, appart from some intriguing world building,introduction of new characters - WSword,Isca,Solem and Tarn and expansion of mythos(for example Amenth mask) as an event XoS has in many ways redefined the word 'underwhelming'

I remember a time when this board liked Jason Aaron. I believe it lasted 6 months or so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I have no idea what you’re trying to convey here. But there’s trying new things and then there’s ignoring a character’s entire history and prior characterization — and not even just the original version, but the new kid version who was shown to be a ruthless soldier in Extermination and X-Force after that. Just saying, it’s not creative. It’s sloppy and lazy. That’s why they have editors, at least in theory.
    Its not lazy its necessity based on how marvel works. Kid cable exist to tell cable storys because the og was such a mess of continuity no on knew what to do.their so stuck on using the same group they have to mess them up to make them fit rather then use a different character who could naturaly enhance the story.. its pretty much over use causing errors that need full resets but insted of using a perfect back up. Its tampered with for interest.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I don't get the Aaron hate to be honest. I think his Avengers are pretty good. I thought his Thor was pretty good. His X-Men started off really strong and then sort of lost steam towards the end but they were hardly what I would call bad comics.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Is it wrong of me that I sort of wanted this event to be more of a cliche tournament crossover?
    A battle each issue, in different surroundings with different goals (not these stupid rules like an arm wrestle, mind) would have been far more thrilling...and let us feel fear as Arrako won more and more. Instead we’ve had a points system that doesn’t quite make sense.
    If we’d watch it edge towards a tie ahead of the big Apocalypse fight then I wouldn’t have minded as much.
    Also, Gorgon should have won every battle he was in. He was too badass to kill in Hickmans first crossover
    I agree entirely. I barely got to know the Arakkoans or feel that they're a true threat.
    Just as we are approaching the finale of this X-over, with the last 3 chapters being released tomorrow, I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 and say I've been enjoy X of Swords immensely: I think the X-books are at their best when all the writers involved work in concert to create a single, unified narrative and boy did they deliver. The story flows seamlessly from one issue to the other, the stakes are high, the characters both old and new are engaging and the abrupt change of tone towards the comedic was a brilliant and hilarious masterstroke.
    I have a feeling tomorrow's issues will bring back a more serious tone and higher stakes - as far as I'm concerned the bar has been set pretty high by the various creative teams so I have very high hopes for a good ending.
    The one writer I unfortunately have to single out as a negative is Tini Howard on her solo Excalibur efforts. Her writing, pacing, character work just don't work for me, all of her Excalibur run has been very boring and an utter waste of an otherwise excellent cast of characters.
    Focusing on a plot initiated by the writer of the worst book in the line was the first problem with this event.
    The second problem was retelling the origin story three times but still not giving us any true insight into the nature of Amenth and the Arakkoan bad guys.
    The third problem was making a supposedly serious threat to the planet into a farce by both making the original Horsemen pathetically inept and powerless while having everyone compete in nonsensical, random contests that have not one shite to do with swords for the most part.
    And don't get me started on the event being too long, took too much time to assemble the swords...

The only good thing about this was the wonderful continuity that should be standard in any crossover. I agree with you on that. Oh, and the wonderful art.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The hate. The love. It's all quite subject to the individual.
    Personally I don't read any of the Marvel events, period ( I haven't done so in over a decade and more). So I really cannot/don't compare this with those.
    And...
    I'm reading this event crossover because it's running through the books that I am enjoying and are already on my pull-list. That, and the premise initially sounded so good and then started off so well....but then....
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Oh and another thing I'll add as a positive: I overwhelmingly like crossovers done as part of the ongoing books (XoS style, or most X-Men crossovers really) rather than having a titular mini and then so many tie-ins I wanna vomit just when reading the solicits (hello, King in Black).

90% of the times tie-ins are useless, add nothing to the main narrative and are entirely skippable. There are exceptions (for example I thought DC's Blackest Night was extremely well-executed from start to finish) but generally speaking having the story run through the existing books helps writers keep the focus on the main story and characters without straying too far with useless spin-off stories. In XoS's case, the one book outside the main story was Hellions and that delivered some of the best parts of the crossover, so I really have no complaints there.

Astonishing Member

I like the swords

BANNED

Oh and another thing I'll add as a positive: I overwhelmingly like crossovers done as part of the ongoing books (XoS style, or most X-Men crossovers really) rather than having a titular mini and then so many tie-ins I wanna vomit just when reading the solicits (hello, King in Black).

90% of the times tie-ins are useless, add nothing to the main narrative and are entirely skippable. There are exceptions (for example I thought DC's Blackest Night was extremely well-executed from start to finish) but generally speaking having the story run through the existing books helps writers keep the focus on the main story and characters without straying too far with useless spin-off stories. In XoS's case, the one book outside the main story was Hellions and that delivered some of the best parts of the crossover, so I really have no complaints there.
    Tie-ins are optional, but read them you usually go a side quest. Like Thor lost his tie in on Empyre because of lockout delays, so when he showed up with a new power it was like "where this happened?" but it wasn't a weight on the story being told.
    I prefer were tie ins are skippable if you don't like the story and/or characters. Make the event beats stronger instead of diluted in many writers and artists
    I feel same way. Hickman told same story 3 times and even re-used art with issue a full price, anyone else would be panned to the death.
    If we don't see more negative critics all around is because people still giving Hickman a chance. Of course there is a lot of negative critics, but some people are still holding on
    Last edited by baxer; 11-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Its not lazy its necessity based on how marvel works. Kid cable exist to tell cable storys because the og was such a mess of continuity no on knew what to do.their so stuck on using the same group they have to mess them up to make them fit rather then use a different character who could naturaly enhance the story.. its pretty much over use causing errors that need full resets but insted of using a perfect back up. Its tampered with for interest.
    We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this. This is basically a new character masquerading as an existing one. Instead of being the competent soldier raised to fight an endless future war, who keeps his cards close to the vest and is absolutely ruthless in his “ends justifies the means” approach (as he has always been and even as Kid Cable himself was in Extermination), he now confides everything in mommy and daddy and cries to them when he gets beat up.

So, Cable is dead. I can accept that. Whoever this kid is, he ain’t Cable. If I pretend he died on Otherworld and came back as some rebooted amalgam that has little in common with Cable other than his glowing eye and last name, I suppose it’s fine.

As for the event itself, it’s had its moments for sure. Highs and lows. Probably dragged on too long honestly, and didn’t need all 22 issues with some of the silliness that occurred. But hopefully they stick the landing. Aside from the mockery that is Kid Cable in this event, I’ve enjoyed most of it.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 11-24-2020 at 12:47 PM.