Page 148 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2833
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    The difference between those examples and this are that in those examples, the stories had a consistent tone and that every issue built on each other. The other difference is that Hickman wrote every issue. The writing in the last 4 issues of this event are garbage compared to Hickman's. Also, too many issues are wastes of time that down add to the event.

I'm still baffled at how we barely know anything about the Arakko side, yet we're supposed to care? Why is Cable here? Should've given that sword to Magneto. Or hell, why isn't Mikhail part of this? Would've been cool, seeing him as the White Sword equivalent for Krakoa. Instead we this kid who can't take anything seriously.
    I'm not as down as you on the writing but the others do not hold a candle to Hickman, but I do think we are going to get a reveal issue as to why Saturnyne is doing what she is doing.

In another thread I just found out that apparently there was supposed to be another event that was axed because of Covid, so I wonder if the 22 issues and "bloat" has to do with combining some things from that event into this.

As to why Cable, he's the new hotness? I honestly don't know.

Also what the hell happened to the Cerebro sword and all the other sword-bearers in the promo image

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    War only knows what Summoner told her, and I don't recall Summoner ever interacting with Wolverine.
    War's weapon is a flaming blade, like lightsabers, it cauterizes as it cuts.
    The Krakoans spent dinner finding out about their opponents, and I'm sure Summoner got the rundown on the main powers of Krakoa while there. Not knowing Wolverine has an adamantium skeleton is like not knowing that Magneto controls magnetism or that Storm hurls lightning bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'm not as down as you on the writing but the others do not hold a candle to Hickman, but I do think we are going to get a reveal issue as to why Saturnyne is doing what she is doing.

In another thread I just found out that apparently there was supposed to be another event that was axed because of Covid, so I wonder if the 22 issues and "bloat" has to do with combining some things from that event into this.

Also what the hell happened to the Cerebro sword and all the other sword-bearers in the promo image

They are all false advert meant to fool people to get excited in buying this crossover which turns out to be a farce.

The original promise of a proper fight with Cerebro sword sound more promising. The only real swordfighting we've seen so far is the one from Wolverine.

The rest of the 'fights' this week were just nonsensical.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    There are definitely some issues with this event's pacing. It's not a good sign that the overly-complex world building seems destined to be forgotten -- after reading it three issues in a row. I still don't understand how Arakko is Amenth and also Dryador. It all reads so encyclopedic, and off the top of someone's head, that I just don't care to remember it.

On the other hand, I've somewhat enjoyed this event's homage moments. The parley in the Starlight Citadel called to mind the X-Men's classic battle with the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. Where each character spent the night preparing for battle. I was concerned the main event was going to be a predictable Marvel Contest of Champions 1:1 slugfest, right up til the moment Betsy and Isca stepped into an arena. However, Saturnyne's capricious and petty definition of duels has renewed my interest. It's too bad the creative team didn't take this opportunity to redesign Saturnyne's character so that she doesn't seem like an alternate universe Emma Frost.

I hope the event lands smoother than its takeoff. I'm skeptical about Storm's prospects. Earlier this year solicits teased Storm would die and that (thankfully) didn't happen. Editorial also seems to be hinting that she would undergo some sort of transformation. But recent previews appear as though that's not the case.

However this all ends, I hope it's worth the detour away from HOX / POX's more interesting unresolved storylines.
    Amenth invaded Krakoa and broke it in two. Arakko went to keep Amenth at bay from going back to earth. Arakko fell to Amenth when Genesis became Annihilation and is now part of Amenth. Famine and Pestilence killed the king of Dryador and that is now part of Amenth as well.

Mighty Member

War clearly doesn’t know a thing about Wolverine. Remember she tried to poison him at dinner. This could really have been a eight issue mini with Hickman writing it all like he did HOX/POX. All the great issues of this series have been the X of Sword issues. And I’ve been reading Excalibur from the beginning and I’m not giving Tini much credit for the standalone issues. Her Excalibur is the weakest book.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    The Krakoans spent dinner finding out about their opponents, and I'm sure Summoner got the rundown on the main powers of Krakoa while there. Not knowing Wolverine has an adamantium skeleton is like not knowing that Magneto controls magnetism or that Storm hurls lightning bolts.
    The fact that she was surprised about it is confirmation that she did not know about it. The only people Summoner seemed to have any intel on was Rockslide and Apocalypse.

That's nice.

Getting a sword was the membership fee to drinking contest and arm-wrestling match. Yes, worth all the time and money spent.

Also, that's a Hickman issue, right? Notice how that issue was actually well written, compared to (most of) the rest of the non-Hickman issues? Not to mention, that that quote could easily also be interpreted that just because one has their sword doesn't automatically mean they're worthy of it or have what it takes to win. If Cypher was going to find some way to win, or get out of his fight, then maybe, instead of a rushed marriage, he gets an issue that allows him to get to know and understand Bei. That way, once it was time for a fight, Bei would forfeit after falling for the one person that attempted to understand her.

You know....SUBSTANTIVE issues with character work and development. Rather than shallow rushed nonsense. We barely f***ing know who Bei is.
    You’re srsly complaining about the drinking contest? It was revealed to be a farce match to punish the players for planning to kill Saturnyne. There was more to it than just drinking as it sets up Logan being off his game and almost dying. We don’t know how it will affect Storm yet, but she’ll be off her game in whatever competition.

Also I’m not sure what you’re expecting this event to be, but I’m sure we’re gonna be seeing more of these characters afterwards. Besides, if this was the testosterone-fueled sword match you wanted, you’d still know just as much about Bei as you do know. You act like we know little to nothing about these characters when we have been given details. There is never gonna be space to fully flesh out villains into 3D characters in the same crossover you introduced them in, but we know enough of Bei to understand her strange connection to Cypher.

1) You can't be serious. I'm talking about this event, which has 6 more chapters left, not post event. So I have wait until after this event, which I'm paying for, for that chance to pay for character work....maybe? They've introduced all these characters, and have done damn near nothing with them. Also, she's a damn master combatant, so I expect her to be prepared for his mutant power....given she's facing mutants with swords. Why are you defending such a shallow fight?

2) Really? I'm supposed expect a marriage and an arm wrestling match, involving characters we barely know when dealing with the fate of all the realms? Realms, mind you, that we barely know for the most part. "Action packed"? What have you been reading? There's nothing "action packed" about these "fights". There's little substance besides random action poses, because these artist can't draw fights. Also, "slow down"? I would hope seeing as it's 5-2 Arakko after two issues lol.
    1) Yes, I’m talking about this crossover, and I’m talking about afterwards. You’re acting like it’s over while we’ve just gotten to the fight matches. It was a well-crafted fight that tied back to the first half of this event coming from a genuinely great story. That’s why I’m defending it. Sounds like you are mad at an incomplete story for being incomplete.

2) There were several hints there was gonna be a wedding lmao. Coming into it, it’s unexpected but it’s not out of left field. It’s even seeded in the same issue where Doug thinks he’s gonna be fighting in a duel.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Why wouldn't he? Experience is not the only determining factor of who will win in a fight, especially one with such specific parameters. People have pointed out that Solem is similarly invulnerable, but he's also still alive, which means War hasn't been able to kill him before. Y'all have also pointed to Summoner's invulnerability, do you think War has considered how to kill her own child?
    To be fair, Solem was somehow captured, and War was barred from killing him. Still, it's his skin; not his eyes or insides.

Strength, skill and experience should be big a sword fight. Why waste time showing how shrew she can be, then have her attacking like a child later?

Really should've just let Hickman write all of this. At least then the characters would have a consistent voice. In Wolverine, she wild and emotional, in everything else she's chill.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Exactly. There's no way Summoner didn't get all that info. He would definitely tell his mom, too.

War was wild and emotional in the issue in which she finds out her child is dead, that's weird.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

I'm starting to think that the "other event" that people have been talking about is just a rumor created on threads for people to explain their displeasure with XoS. Yes, there's the possibility that the Arakko stuff was going to take place separately from the Otherworld stuff, but there's no real proof and Jonathan has been talking about working with Tini for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Amenth invaded Krakoa and broke it in two. Arakko went to keep Amenth at bay from going back to earth. Arakko fell to Amenth when Genesis became Annihilation and is now part of Amenth. Famine and Pestilence killed the king of Dryador and that is now part of Amenth as well.
    Thanks for that.

Yeah I still don’t get it... Arakko was part of Krakoa until it wasn’t. And then Arrako vanished to another dimension? Did they ever explain how Karakoa returned after being hurled into space? Why do so many Arakko characters seem like mirror images of Krakoans? Seems like Magneto was dropped from the event because he’s too similar to White Sword.

It all seems complex for complexity sake which isn’t good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    You’re srsly complaining about the drinking contest? It was revealed to be a farce match to punish the players for planning to kill Saturnyne. There was more to it than just drinking as it sets up Logan being off his game and almost dying. We don’t know how it will affect Storm yet, but she’ll be off her game in whatever competition.

Also I’m not sure what you’re expecting this event to be, but I’m sure we’re gonna be seeing more of these characters afterwards. Besides, if this was the testosterone-fueled sword match you wanted, you’d still know just as much about Bei as you do know. You act like we know little to nothing about these characters when we have been given details. There is never gonna be space to fully flesh out villains into 3D characters in the same crossover you introduced them in, but we know enough of Bei to understand her strange connection to Cypher.

1) Yes, I’m talking about this crossover, and I’m talking about afterwards. You’re acting like it’s over while we’ve just gotten to the fight matches. It was a well-crafted fight that tied back to the first half of this event coming from a genuinely great story. That’s why I’m defending it. Sounds like you are mad at an incomplete story for being incomplete.

2) There were several hints there was gonna be a wedding lmao. Coming into it, it’s unexpected but it’s not out of left field. It’s even seeded in the same issue where Doug thinks he’s gonna be fighting in a duel.
    1) Keep being willfully ignorant of what I'm saying. I've said either give us good fights, give us character development in those fight or if the fights are irrelevant than don't waste so much time on the sword finding in previous issues, and thus use those issues to develop these new characters. See how they rushed through the fights? They could've done that with sword bearer stuff. Gorgon and Magick are great examples of getting to the point. Cypher was pretty good character development. Solem was a great example of character work for a new character.

2) We just got to the fights, and it's 5-2 after two issues. If you like this, then it's own you I guess. I'm mad at the inconsistent tone, the poor storyboarding/action, the poor characterization, the poor character development, and being 16 chapters into a 22 chapter story where there's an obvious shoe to drop, and yet the character to drop that shoe, Saturnyne, has done nothing but troll everyone and try to get laid. There's little substance to the event. I don't need an event to finish to know if I liked it. That's what Marvel wants tho: keep paying for it, until the end, and maybe you'll like. If not, they still got our money lol.

3) I know what the Two of Cups means. What I'm saying is that the wedding, while yes was going to happen, was a rushed aspect. I would've liked to know more about Bei, and see her interact more with Cypher. You know, put weight, nuance, and substance, to something like a marriage. Cuz, again, most don't care about it because we barely know anything about Bei. It's horrible, and shallow, character work.

War was wild and emotional in the issue in which she finds out her child is dead, that's weird.
    She's only wild in the Wolverine issues. Also, I'm sorry that I think the Wolverine characterization makes no sense, given she's lived in constant war for centuries, has seen constant death for centuries, and has been raised by Genesis, aka "Survival of the Fittest" for centuries. I get that she'd be mad, but behaving like an emotional wreck is too much.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-11-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Mighty Member

1)

3) I know what the Two of Cups means. What I'm saying is that the wedding, while yes was going to happen, was a rushed aspect. I would've liked to know more about Bei, and see her interact more with Cypher. You know, put weight, nuance, and substance, to something like a marriage. Cuz, again, most don't care about it because we barely know anything about Bei. It's horrible, and shallow, character work.
    Yes, totally agree with you on this point. Each issue should have focused on each pair like in New Mutants #13. Instead what we got was rushed fights and rushed weddings.

The only good battle was the one between Wolverine with Summoner and War.

She's only wild in the Wolverine issues. Also, I'm sorry that I think the Wolverine characterization makes no sense, given she's lived in constant war for centuries, has seen constant death for centuries, and has been raised by Genesis, aka "Survival of the Fittest" for centuries. I get that she'd be mad, but behaving like an emotional wreck is too much.
    How was she "behaving like an emotional wreck"? She was mad that her son died, said she would take Logan's head, and would have been successful if it weren't for his adamantium skeleton, which contrary to what some believe, she was unaware of.