Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Quick Question: Are Spider-Man & Spawn the same character?

The title says it all. It would seem that Spider-Man will become a Hellspawn at some point. What would had been sweet is to see an ongoing Spider-Man & Spawn series.

I'm not sure I understand the question, this just is a (extremely cool) cover for the Overstreet Price Guide's 50th anniversary. First official time Todd McFarlane has drawn Spidey and Spawn in the same image, and first official time Todd's drawn Spidey since leaving Marvel.

I would really like a Spider-Man/Spawn crossover book proper, though. That's been something I've been wanting forever, so this image has been a nice treat on my mind since the other day.

Are Spider-Man & Spawn the same character?
    Not even close.

Spawn is typically a very selfish character, very brutal, lethal, and not only tends to act when it's in his own interest.

Spider-man is pretty much the opposite of that.

Arrow

I've always thought Venom and Spawn are more alike than Spidey and Spawn.

I often wonder if Spawn (and by extension Image Comics) would exist if Marvel had let Todd McFarlane co-own Vemon (the rumor goes this is one of the things he wanted from the company before he departed).
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-29-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've always thought Venom and Spawn are more alike than Spidey and Spawn.

I often wonder if Spawn (and by extension Image Comics) would exist if Marvel had let Todd McFarlane co-own Vemon (the rumor goes this is one of the things he wanted from the company before he departed).
    It goes to show that if you have a great idea(The Marvel doesn't own), keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It goes to show that if you have a great idea(The Marvel doesn't own), keep it to yourself.
    In all fairness, I think Venom was more of a group endeavor than a McFarlane exclusive. The visual design, however, was mostly McFarlane's baby from what I understand.

In all fairness, I think Venom was more of a group endeavor than a McFarlane exclusive. The visual design, however, was mostly McFarlane's baby from what I understand.
    Most oft he design was already there. Todd just added a mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Most oft he design was already there. Todd just added a mouth.
    Which (alongside the teeth, tongue, green slime drool, and claws) made the character iconic visually, IMO.

Which (alongside the teeth, tongue, green slime drool, and claws) made the character iconic visually, IMO.
    Fair enough.

Even then, what we think of as Venom's monsterous slimy green tongue is more the work or Larsen.

Why do you think Spidey will become a Hell spawn and put him in the same footing as Spawn?
    Spawn is typically a very selfish character, very brutal, lethal, and not only tends to act when it's in his own interest.
    Are you thinking of cartoon Spawn? Early comics Al Simmons is pretty mellow, friendly, and amicable.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Fair enough.

Even then, what we think of as Venom's monsterous slimy green tongue is more the work or Larsen.
    I'll give you that. Either way, I think it is silly Todd McFarlane wanted co-ownership of Venom based on "visual design" when the entire character concept was a team collaboration, but hey that's the story.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The title says it all. It would seem that Spider-Man will become a Hellspawn at some point. What would had been sweet is to see an ongoing Spider-Man & Spawn series.

I'll bite. Tell me how Spider-man is destined to become a Hellspawn. Other than McFarlane drawing them both there is nothing to tie them together. Al Simmons and Peter Parker are nothing alike. Let me guess. Al Simmons has a special ops background and it would be the perfect way to get him Spider-man and Black Widow together LOL.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I'll bite. Tell me how Spider-man is destined to become a Hellspawn. Other than McFarlane drawing them both there is nothing to tie them together. Al Simmons and Peter Parker are nothing alike. Let me guess. Al Simmons has a special ops background and it would be the perfect way to get him Spider-man and Black Widow together LOL.
    I like to think that The Black Widow had worked with Peter's parents in the past. The idea of Spider-Man becoming a Hellspawn is divine destiny. The captured soul of Peter Parker will mean the down fall of Hell itself as it contain a very nasty surprise, in which it becomes Pandora's Box...

I like to think that The Black Widow had worked with Peter's parents in the past. The idea of Spider-Man becoming a Hellspawn is divine destiny. The captured soul of Peter Parker will mean the down fall of Hell itself as it contain a very nasty surprise, in which it becomes Pandora's Box...
    Mephisto didn't capture his soul and his plan to corrupt Spider-man was a huge failure.

Amazing Member

Huh? Why does it seem so to you? Just because of a drawing? Anyways if it does happen that Peter becomes a servant of hell then he would most likely be transformed into a ghost Rider and a version of him has done so in an alternative reality so the chances of the main 616 version becoming a hellspawn is remote but he does seem to follow a eerily similar path to his darker counterpart in some ways like his becomng a billionaire businesses man just like him and now he is being stalked by a demonic entity who may cause his "fall" so perhaps you may get your wish. Who knows?