Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Atheism and irreligion thread

I noticed a discussion thread about the Bible and Christianity. I wonder if I can make a thread about atheism on this board.

I apologize if my rejecting the God's existence has offended any forum members. If you take offense, then you can close this thread.

I am an atheist and I do not accept any religion in my life. I not only reject the organized religion, but I also do not believe divine beings like gods actually exist.

You can disparage my irreligious thoughts. You can criticize my lack of religious belief but I will not be discouraged to abandon my irreligion.

I flit between Atheism and Agnosticism depending on my feelings.

Atheist for close to about a decade, happened fairly slowly for me. Started back in my teens when the Religious right were making such a fuss about homosexuality, started questioning if we believed in the same god, then I started looking a bit harder at my own beliefs, started wondering what made my beliefs 'right' and other beliefs throughout history 'wrong'. Found I couldn't really answer that to any satisfaction.

I never had any negative experiences with my own church, I'd say the churches in my community were for the most part positive (not counting super churches which are a blight), and I don't begrudge anyone for believing, I just don't.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 02-29-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because, I am englightened by my intelligence.
    BB

I am a non believer as well. I recently read an interesting article about atheism/agnosticism. It is sometimes mistakenly thought that atheism is that one is sure there is no God. This isn't so. Atheism, by definition is to be without belief in a God, ie, you have no theistic belief. If you don't believe in a God, whether it is the Judiac/Christian/Muslim God or the Hindu Gods or any other, you are an atheist. For example, if you say "I don't believe in any religions Gods, I just don't know what there is." You are agnostic, and an atheist. If you were to say, "I think there is some form of a God or being, I just don't think it is the ones described in the Bible or religious text" you are agnostic, but not an atheist. If that makes sense.
    For my I have more of a naturalistic view of the Universe. Which is materialistic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I believe in God (a superio being), but I respect those who don't. I just feel like the universe is so complex and beautiful to believe everything was an accident. Maybe I want to believe in God and life after we die because it makes me feel better and more secure and hopeful.

I used to go to church, but it's been like 20 years that I stopped being a religious person and being part of an organized religion and I feel very happy because I do what I want and think it's right for me and my family. I feel organized religion really just want my $. They aren't better than me. I mean, just look at the news and all the bad things organized religion have been part of for centuries..

I am spiritual. I believe in an spiritual realm. I also love the idea of Jesus and his story. I have read the bible, but I consider myself an independent Christian. As a woman, I often see how organized religion really just benefits men. Women feel like second class and that makes me angry because it's not fair.

Exclamation

I'm an Agnostic. I'm a spiritual person but I don't adhere to any defined doctrine or known religion.

I find elements of Buddism very appealing both from a spiritual and philosophical point of view. I also find value in the teachings of Socrates and Jesus Christ (his actual teachings not the garbage that has been attached to them over the centuries), among other humanist thinkers.

I believe in the sanctity of all life, especially human life, that it should not be flippantly destroyed or devalued. Life (our own and that of others) is a gift, we should cherish it always.

I believe there is good and there is evil. Evil is rooted in selfishness. Good is rooted in selflessness.

I try to do good not out of fear of any divine punishment nor desire for divine reward but to make the world a better place and by extension myself a better person. If one only does good for selfish reasons you are missing the point of trying to be a better person and improving the world around you. Do good because it is the right thing to do not to gain the admiration of others.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-29-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Anyone else here been compared to Hitler just because they are an atheist?
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    No, but remind them Hitler was not an atheist.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm an Agnostic. I'm a spiritual person but I don't adhere to any defined doctrine or known religion.

I find elements of Buddism very appealing both from a spiritual and philosophical point of view. I also find value in the teachings of Socrates and Jesus Christ (his actual teachings not the garbage that has been attached to them over the centuries), among other humanist thinkers.

I believe in the sanctity of all life, especially human life, that it should not be flippantly destroyed or devalued. Life (our own and that of others) is a gift, we should cherish it always.

I believe there is good and there is evil. Evil is rooted in selfishness. Good is rooted in selflessness.

I try to do good not out of fear of any divine punishment nor desire for divine reward but to make the world a better place and by extension myself a better person. If one only does good for selfish reasons you are missing the point of trying to be a better person and improving the world around you. Do good because it is the right thing to do not to gain the admiration of others.
    You sound like a Humanist, which is a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    No, Hitler's belief system was a weird nutty immoral hybrid between the pseudo-scientific and misinterpreted neo-paganism (more so Himmler in the latter case), from what I understand.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-29-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You sound like a Humanist, which is a very good thing.
    Yup, at least that is how I identify (as a Humanist) but I also respect animals. I will only consciously kill another living creature out of self dense, or if I and/or others were starving, or in extreme cases (when there is little if any hope of recovery) to end an animal's suffering.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-29-2020 at 03:29 PM.

I tend to be more of an agnostic but I think some parts of religion are interesting in the same way I find Greek myth interesting

I consider myself a deist. I find it hard to believe that all the beautiful patterns in nature just came about by chance. That said, I don't believe in any of the nonsense that organized religion sets up as rationalizations for all kinds of evil, from war to greed to sexism and racism.

I was born and raised Jewish, was Bar Mitzahed, but I haven't gone to temple in over a decade for anything other than a wedding or funeral. I still obey a few Jewish rituals, fasting on Yom Kippur and eating matzo instead of bread during Passover, but that's about it. I do what I consider right because I want to help rather than hurt people, not because some deity told me so.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, but remind them Hitler was not an atheist.
    Maybe he was not an atheist but he can be considered as a theist who had anti-Christian views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...f_Adolf_Hitler