Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Atheist too. And secularist.
    Although in a sense, I may be agnosticist, since I am not absolutely 100 % sure that gods don't exist.
    But I put them at the same level of probablility as the Jedi, the Matrix, Sailor Moon, or the possibility that we are all a butterfly's dream: 0.0000000[...]1 %.

I wish, of course there was a benevolent supreme being who would "fix everything" at some point. I just don't think we're so lucky.
    And I sure hope that if a god exists, it's not the evil one from the abrahamic religions.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Atheist as well. I was raised christian but doubts were seeping in during my teens and at some point in my early 20's I fully accepted I was atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    Anyone else here been compared to Hitler just because they are an atheist?
    I've been called a Satan worshiper which is amusing on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Atheist too. And secularist.
    Although in a sense, I may be agnosticist, since I am not absolutely 100 % sure that gods don't exist.
    But I put them at the same level of probablility as the Jedi, the Matrix, Sailor Moon, or the possibility that we are all a butterfly's dream: 0.0000000[...]1 %.

I wish, of course there was a benevolent supreme being who would "fix everything" at some point. I just don't think we're so lucky.
    And I sure hope that if a god exists, it's not the evil one from the abrahamic religions.
    Being an atheist doesn't mean you aren't agnostic as well. Atheism is simply no belief in a God. Not certainty.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I don't believe in gods. Some of the mythologies written about gods are pretty fun to read though.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    I don't believe in gods. Some of the mythologies written about gods are pretty fun to read though.
    As Mr. Glass reminded us, comics are today's mythology.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    As Mr. Glass reminded us, comics are today's mythology.
    I always assume someday after the fall of man some species will find an omnibus of Fourth World and just assume that we all believed in the anti-life equation.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I always assume someday after the fall of man some species will find an omnibus of Fourth World and just assume that we all believed in the anti-life equation.
    Wouldn't the survival of a copy of Kirby's work when mankind has faded from the planet be a sign there is a God?

From what I know about this Jesus fellow, he's seems like a pretty righteous Bro. Why the VAST majority of his followers are 100% douchebags is quite curious. Lot of them right here in cbr.

Or after the Great Disaster
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-03-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    From what I know about this Jesus fellow, he's seems like a pretty righteous Bro. Why the VAST majority of his followers are 100% douchebags is quite curious. Lot of them right here in cbr.
    It mainly has to do with structural institutions and notions of power plus control via religion inherited from the old Roman Empire grafted onto Christianity.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Wouldn't the survival of a copy of Kirby's work when mankind has faded from the planet be a sign there is a God?
    And that God's name would be Jack Kirby.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Atheist and Buddhist, here. I don't accept any type of paranormal/supernatural.

Had an uncle who used to scream that I was going to the Outer Darkness when I died. I told him that sounded like Heaven to me. Shut him up nicely.
    Buddhism is not without Its "supernatural" elements. The idea of samsara attest to that. Buddha spoke of enlightened beings that can ascribed many supernormal powers - though a truly enlightened person realizes the futility of these powers and instead unbinds himself completely from samsara through discernment reaching nirvana. Buddhism is an belief system with out the dogmatic idea of a "higher power" it is spiritual and supernatural.

There are atheists that believe in the supernatural, the two are not mutually exclusive. Kirby has outlined it pretty well they don't believe in a great "tinkerer" in the sky but atheist can logically believe anything else at all out side of that— including souls and some sort of heaven — even if the belief is irrational. This is not as prevalent in the west as atheism is strongly associated with materialism, naturalism, and science. Just because some one says that they are atheist does not mean they are a more rational thinker than some one that holds a belief in a deity, they can still believe in some off the wall crazy crap too.

Many also associate being atheists with being anti-Christian, again in the west that is mostly true because is the most prevalent religion and has been woven in much of its society and culture. With that some one makes a disparaging remark toward Christianity today they are in some circles considered a progressive thinker where as if some one makes the same remark toward Islam or Judaism they are considered Islamophobic or anti-Semitic in those same circles. Look at Bill Maher who has been very consistent in his criticism of all religions but only gets blow back when it a non-Christian religion that he is commenting on.

Personally I'm agnostic. I work in the field of science and find it strange that atheists base there like of belief or the denial of any "God" based on scientific principal. Though I've likened the faith and belief of string theory to faith and belief in an Abrahamic religion so I can see how people can do so. Man's understanding of the universe is limited to his own observations that can be tested by his current grasp of science to give us the best possible answer. To say with 100% that there was not an outside force involved in the creation of the universe when we have no clue of what is actually outside ours is not something that I can do (there is never a 100% certainty in science). Though if there is such a force it is not one of the ones that was made up by men.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 03-03-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Good post Moon. I would say the reason, as an atheist I do not accept a God is because there is zero evidence for it. As you know, when no evidence is ever found and contra-evidencce is seen, science abandons a theory. (N-Rays, the Ether, etc...). Some scientist do think string theory has merit, but that is based on the math and science. They think it explains sub atomic structure. BUT, if evidence is presented that shows it does not work, they will abandon it. They may say they believe string theory is worthwhile, they would never say they just have faith in it absent any evidence. This does not happen in religion and it is why science is nothing like religion.

sometimes I question if there is indeed a God almighty. I see so much hate and violence in the world and innocent children suffering and I wonder why God doesn't end it. Makes no sense. Christians tell you is God's plan for a reason.. or men are sinners. Seems convenient and arrogant to think we have all the answers.

But then I see the beautiful world we live in like nature and the sun and the stars and I feel so much awe. Also, everytime I'm in trouble or very worried, I think of God and ask him to help me on this one haha. I just can't be an atheist. I have an strong need for God. Humans in general have always looked for someone greater to save them. Look at history and ancient history as well. It's an strong emotional need many have had.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.