Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Where in the bible does it say homosexuality is a sin?
    Leviticus, Paul, etc...

The discussion is ongoing here;
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-if-so/page573
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Where in the bible does it say homosexuality is a sin?
    On a technicality that homosexuality is not a sin, that man can not love another man is nowhere in the bible. It is the sexual act with the same sex that is the sin that is set out in Leviticus 18.

But as Kirby says that discussion is in another thread this one is for godless heathens.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 03-05-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The only possible answer I've found for these types of questions is such matters are beyond our ability to comprehend fully (the intricacies of the Cosmos), as is String Theory.

I do know (because I studied meteorology for a time) that natural disasters tend to provide safety valves for the global system. Take hurricanes (tropical cyclones), for example, they provide a vital transfer of heat energy between the equator and the poles during the summer of each hemisphere. Without hurricanes, we would tip into a mini-ice age each winter and the tropics might become uninhabitable due to excessive heat each summer.
    But if God is omnipotent, surely he could change the rules so these 'safety valves' aren't necessary?

Or if this is beyond His omnipotence (a contradiction is terms) then he could guide these disasters to uninhabited areas. That they keep hitting major population centres suggests that he does not care much for the lives of his creations.

Personally, it is more comforting for me to believe this is the result of uncaring and impersonal nature. The sun rose on earth for billions of years before there were any humans to see it and comment on how jolly nice it was of a supreme being to provide this spectacle purely for our enjoyment, and will continue to do so for millions of years after we've vanished from this insignificant blue speck.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    But if God is omnipotent, surely he could change the rules so these 'safety valves' aren't necessary?

Or if this is beyond His omnipotence (a contradiction is terms) then he could guide these disasters to uninhabited areas. That they keep hitting major population centres suggests that he does not care much for the lives of his creations.

Personally, it is more comforting for me to believe this is the result of uncaring and impersonal nature. The sun rose on earth for billions of years before there were any humans to see it and comment on how jolly nice it was of a supreme being to provide this spectacle purely for our enjoyment, and will continue to do so for millions of years after we've vanished from this insignificant blue speck.
    I don't have these answers. However, I will say this. Humans have pretty much populated every square inch of Earth so it is hard for these storms not to hit us, if not impossible. That said, the vast majority of North Atlantic hurricanes pass harmlessly out to sea. Honestly, we live in a lot of places (in high numbers) we shouldn't be in.

Edit- Another option that bears consideration. Earth is but one world among who knows how many. Perhaps if there is a God or Gods they don't want to micromanage every aspect of Earth? They just wind us up like a clock (or did long ago or initiated us as a VR type model) and leave us alone unless something goes majorly wrong? Who knows...
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I don't have these answers. However, I will say this. Humans have pretty much populated every square inch of Earth so it is hard for these storms not to hit us, if not impossible. That said, the vast majority of North Atlantic hurricanes pass harmlessly out to sea. Honestly, we live in a lot of places (in high numbers) we shouldn't be in.

Edit- Another option that bears consideration. Earth is but one world among who knows how many. Perhaps if there is a God or Gods they don't want to micromanage every aspect of Earth? They just wind us up like a clock (or did long ago or initiated us as a VR type model) and leave us alone unless something goes majorly wrong? Who knows...
    According to the Bible, God keeps track of each sparrow that falls. Sounds like a micromanager to me.

God is either an all knowing omnipotent being or he’s flawed. If he’s all knowing than he knows exactly what your life will be and what decisions you make before you’re even born. The response to that is “well, he gives you choices and free will.” If he gives you choices and is angered by the outcome, then he’s not all knowing. You can’t be shocked at something you already knew was going to happen. Would be like watching Terminator for the 100th time and somehow still surprised when Reese dies. If it’s all part of his plan, then he’s aware certain people will be tortured for eternity in hell as part of some cosmic plan. Pretty sick.

Also, if you were to work for six days straight (and rest on the seventh) and created intelligent little creatures and a beautiful world for them to live in, would you then demand that they worship you and thank you for everything lest they been sentenced to eternal hellfire? I certainly hope not because that’s something a sociopath would do. Someone who tortures cats in his basement level of crazy.

Also the fact that nature isn't always beautiful. Earthqueaks, fires, floods, etc. Even the way carnivores in the wild feed is brutal. Why would a benevolent God create this?
    While I do 100% believe there is no god - if something ever happened to make me believe that there was an omnipotent omniscient creator, nothing could ever convince me that he/she was benevolent.

To create natural disasters, cancer, birth defects and all of the other things that happen you would have to be a psychopath. To allow the likes of Adolf Hitler they would at the very least have to be apathetic.

If it turns out to be the Christian God it only gets worse, because then you through in the sadism of making people feel guilty for their sexuality and the insecurity and narcissism of expecting everyone to worship them - and condemning people to eternal damnation if they don't happen to guess which religion is the correct one.

Nothing casts this being in a good light.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I go with the clock-maker theory, that God made the world and set everything in motion, and then left it alone. It's sort of like God's a scientist running an experiment and we're all ants. A scientist running an experiment with two groups of ants in two different environments doesn't really care about the ants who die. It's all just statistics.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    According to the Bible, God keeps track of each sparrow that falls. Sounds like a micromanager to me.
    Only if you believe the Bible is an accurate reflection of reality, which I don't. Assuming there is a God or Gods, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I go with the clock-maker theory, that God made the world and set everything in motion, and then left it alone. It's sort of like God's a scientist running an experiment and we're all ants. A scientist running an experiment with two groups of ants in two different environments doesn't really care about the ants who die. It's all just statistics.
    This is the view (in general terms) I hold on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    See the main problem I have with this is we are applying our own view of morality to God or the Gods.

Why would the Gods view us as equals or even worthy of any degree of consideration? How many single-cell lifeforms do we casually kill with disinfectant every day without a second thought, or insects we squash for that matter, or animals we allow to die when we could save them? Maybe the Gods are indifferent, not evil.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-06-2020 at 11:00 AM.

This is a question for atheists and believers alike. Is the default belief in a God where a non-belief must be developed, or is the default a non-belief which is changed when the idea of a God is introduced? Basically, which side needs the evidence? I'm drawing an analogy to the American legal system which says "innocent until proven guilty".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    On a technicality that homosexuality is not a sin, that man can not love another man is nowhere in the bible. It is the sexual act with the same sex that is the sin that is set out in Leviticus 18.
    Matthew 7:15

"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."

John 8:44

"He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

You can't play both sides of the fence. That doesn't work with the God of heaven, the God of the bible. Satan/the Devil always perverts God the father and his son Jesus Christ's words and truths.

You can say you believe in God, but it doesn't mean anything. Anyone can say they believe in God. There's two Gods, and you cannot serve two masters. Technically, the God who created all things in the universe, and saves people from their sins. Then the God of this world who is the Devil/Satan, also Lucifer, who is leading people in the world astray. If you aren't in abidance with the true God, the God who created all things, then your God is Lucifer. If you want the God who created all life to be your God, then you have to prove that you can repent of your sins and do things in abidance to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post

But as Kirby says that discussion is in another thread this one is for godless heathens.
    I think homosexuality can be part of this discussion. I find the Bible confusing, because it seems ancient humans could sleep and procreate with their children or sisters/brothers, or Abraham could sleep with another woman to be able to have a child. But two men sleeping together was more bad? I don't understand that.

In some religions, men (it's always males..) can have more than one woman, but women can't.. That pisses me off so much! lol