View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aiden Zhane

0 0%
  • Brita

0 0%
  • Crystal Methyd

0 0%
  • Dahlia Sin

0 0%
  • Gigi Goode

1 20.00%
  • Heidi N Closet

0 0%
  • Jackie Cox

1 20.00%
  • Jaida Essence Hall

0 0%
  • Jan

2 40.00%
  • Nicky Doll

0 0%
  • Rock M. Sakura

0 0%
  • Sherry Pie

0 0%
  • Widow Von'Du

1 20.00%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    After the non-elimination (which I'm not mad at) the queen do their usual deliberation. It's time to talk about stats, Ben dela Creme is working out the algorithm so the queens have time to spill the tea. Gigi channels Aquaria to point out she's annoyed by the double save because she wanted it to be Top 5. Jackie channels every queen post lipsync, talking about how THIS TIME the fire that it lit is going to change things (Brita is shooketh). And Heidi is channeling... herself? #HEpiphany. BWAHAHAHAHA! This really is a very sweet Top 6, I do genuinely like them all and to jump ahead, I agree with Ru's comment later: "you six are really some of the best we've ever had here, you're something else. I wish you would be the 6 forever and ever."
    I was not mad either, I thought they both killed it, and was very happy to see them both there. When Jackie made that comment about 'change', I wanted to say; "What, you needed to lip sync 3 times for that message to sink in?" Also loved Ru's comment about the top six, they are amazing.

EVERYBODY LOVES PUPPETS
    I'm devastated. I'm crushed. Not since "I choose Manila" have I been so applaud! I have been championing puppets for three seasons, since they stopped doing it after Season 9. It is my favourite mini-challenge And THIS MEDIOCRITY is what I was waiting for? I think... not! No-one's getting a trophy, this was rubbish!!! What happened? Most of these remaining queens did really well in the (sort of)"Reading" challenge gifting, and this is basically the same principle. Maybe they just got the wrong puppet for the wrong queen. If only Jackie had got Crystal, because her Crystal impression in episode 9 was spot on. Jackie was "the best" but the bar was low. It would be akin to getting the Top Toot for your runway... when the competition was Jiggly Caliente and Jocelyn Fox. And to rub salt in the wound, the puppets looked sooooo good. Jaida's mini-Gigi with her Ball Ball outfit, Gigi's mini-Jackie bearded Genie, Heidi's muppet realness mini-Crystal.
    OMG, your comment about Jiggly and Jocelyn is toooo funny! Yeah, it was a bit of a let down, but I was glad to see Jackie get a mini-win.

ONE DRAG QUEEN SHOW
    This is one of the most creative AND DIFFICULT challenges I've seen the show do; it was akin to "Dragracadabra" last season, with even less help in narrative (SIDE BAR: Nina West would have slayyyyyed this challenge). And so for the hardest challenge they needed the best advice and they got it! Whoopi Goldberg was one of the most supportive and informative queens since Kathy Najimy directing the queens in the TV Commercial for Disco Shortening in season 2. The nuggets of wisdom she gave each queen was indispensable, and she was bang on the money every-time. I applaud all of them, this was not easy, and I saw potential in each and every one of their routines (well... maybe not Jaida's). And OH MY GOD DAHLIA IS BACK! Actually back! That wasn't CGI, she was there in that fierce Broc-ally outfit.

GOOD REVIEWS FROM THE BIG PINK FURRY BOX THEATRE
    "Phenomenal Phil" by Crystal Methyd. I really liked this; the stupid muscle suit with those child tattoos of a tiger and a snake! BWAHAHAHA! It was stupid fun. If only she had done a non-Crystal voice, like Raja's meat-head from Season 3's "Totally Leotarded" challenge, that would have sold the routine even better. She is embracing Yvie's mantra of "Fly your freak FLAG!" [WHOOPI WISDOM - make it fun for you, don't worry if it's funny for me]
    "Welcome Aboard Brimstone Airways" by Gigi Goode. I'm tempted to give her the trophy. Did she stumble, yes. But I also laughed hardest at this than any of the others. The concept was the strongest, and I wish she'd listened to Whoopi and Ru. Riffing with the audience, attacking people's fashions as the reason they are going to hell!!! SHE KNOWS FASHION!!! Ru said the same thing for the political debate, why can't Gigi connect the dots on that one? Serving unsalted peanuts with the tag-line "welcome to hell, b*tch" ON MY GOD! I died. "I'll call you Karen from now on!", "Go f*ck yourself, Gary!" "And please... enjoy your stay in Detroit." Oh my goodness, when these jokes landed they stole the show, and she looked SO GOOD in her Nomi Malone curls and white jump suit. [WHOOPI WISDOM - you don't have enough time, so improvise, don't think about it, if you trust your gut, 97% of the time it'll be fine]

BAD REVIEWS FROM THE BIG PINK FURRY BOX THEATRE
    "Cook Out With Your Cheeks Out" by Heidi Afrodite. I love the idea, Madea's Big Southern Cook-out feat. the Afrodites. LOVE IT! But I've said repeatedly Heidi can only play Heidi. Madonna was Heidi. Leslie Jones was Heidi. So why did she do a skit that ONLY works if she successfully conveys multiple varied characters brilliantly??? The idea made me smile so much, and Whoopi Goldberg teaching her to play a drunk had me in stitches. But this... was just not the path she should have taken.
    "the P in Pageant" by Jaida Essence Hall. Oh boy. To quote Jaida: "chillllllllld". Do I really need to analyze why this failed?
    As soon as I saw Heidi's and Jaida's performance, along with Sherry Pie's endless performance, I knew that Jackie would be safe. I really wished that Sherry was called out more for her timing. On top of that, what we saw wasn't all that funny. I didn't remember laughing at her bit once.

Of course, that also happened with Heidi and Jaida. I don't mind bathroom humor, but Jaida's show was so boring, and I got the feeling she just wasn't into it. As for Heidi...........no comment.

COMEDY TROPHY: "Between Two Parents" by Jackie Cox. I think all three did a great job, but the clear concept of Jackie's skit won me over. Even the name, with the visual of two stools with glasses on them for parents. It is a done trick, but it's very effective. I loved the through narrative and the heart and moral coming through at the end. It was believably the type of performance I'd see in a one-woman-show. IN FACT at Edinburgh last year I saw this hilarious one-woman-show called "My Father the Tantric Masseur" and it was basically this same concept, with a sister added in as the third character. It was concise, honest and I loved Jackie's impression of his mother. "What is zissssss?" Thank god she dropped "Drag Race 101" [WHOOPI WISDOM - take yourself out of this stand-up idea]
    Jackie Cox's skit was my favorite, not only because it was funny, but because it was so personal. When RuPaul told her "you made us love you", I was so happy for her. The "What is zissss?" comment, combined with the look on her face, was hysterical. It was well done, well timed, funny, and gave us a view into what makes Jackie, Jackie.

CATEGORY IS... THE COLOR PURPLE
    TOOT
    Crystal Methyd. The idea behind this fills me with joy; it's the Gruffalo meets Trekkie Monster from Avenue Q (which ultimately is a great description of Nick Cave's sound suits). But it needed something to make it slightly more female. A belt to pull in that waste, obnoxiously large monster boobs, something. Super fun though.
    Jackie Cox. I didn't get the specific reference to the Purple People Eater (a film starring Shelley Winters), and looking at the inspiration... yeah it was nothing like it. WHAT I DID GET though is some bad-apple, diseased Whoville citizen. I can't think of the specific character, but this definitely was giving me 80s cartoon witch and I loved it.
    Jaida Essence Hall. I didn't even make the Guinan connection till they mentioned it, but I loved it. It's was Parisian beauty, it was a different silouette for her, she always looks runway ready and you KNOW you made it herself. So extra kudos. #craftyqueen
    BOOT
    Heidi Afrodite. The dress is nice. It's a nice purple dress, it's a very nice purple dress in-fact. Assignment done. But it's Top 6 of season 12, wearing a nice purple dress for a "color purple" category won't cut it, especially when it looks suspiciously similar to her "Black Wedding" gown, minus the shoulder piece. I'm not asking her to be a "lewk" queen, but a concept beyond 'pretty dress' isn't a huge ask at this stage.
    RUNWAY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. Originally I wasn't going to give a trophy this runway. In my head I felt "no-one slayed it enough to get one" and then I started writing why each outfit had great elements and weakness. And the fact is this had no weaknesses. I got the Scooby Doo reference instantly, it was a clever choice for a purple runway; but she still brought Gigi too it. The tulle for the sleeves, adding the enlarged green buttons and belt, choose green stockings rather than flesh coloured. She took the inspiration and still made it her own. Had anyone else done this, I would have screamed with delight. And that's not fair on Gigi, this was a slam dunk.

Regarding Jackie's look, did she say it was an homage to the Shelley Winters film? I've never heard of that. I assumed it was based on the song from the late 50s.

I was surprised by that choice in song. There are certain songs that you can listen to and think "lip sync challenge", and "Purple Rain" is not one of them. Jaida did her best to work it, and i felt certain that Heidi would go home. Jackie is in the top 5! I am hoping that she's makes it to Top 3, but I won't be surprised if she goes home before them. It's my hope that Sherry Pie goes home first. I hope she has a really bad week and goes home.

It's "Fan Art Friday"... I sadly couldn't find fan art I liked of Jackie saying "What is zissssss?" NOR of the puppets. *le sigh*

GERRY CASTRO MORALES
    https://www.instagram.com/gerrycastrom/

SIMPLES DOODLES
    https://www.instagram.com/notanprieto/

TRISTAN
    https://www.instagram.com/mono.beam/
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I was not mad either, I thought they both killed it, and was very happy to see them both there. When Jackie made that comment about 'change', I wanted to say; "What, you needed to lip sync 3 times for that message to sink in?" Also loved Ru's comment about the top six, they are amazing.
    At-least Jackie put her money where her mouth is; need I remind you of Brita's delusion after each and every lipsync?

OMG, your comment about Jiggly and Jocelyn is toooo funny!

As soon as I saw Heidi's and Jaida's performance, along with Sherry Pie's endless performance, I knew that Jackie would be safe. I really wished that [REDACTED] was called out more for her timing. On top of that, what we saw wasn't all that funny. I didn't remember laughing at her bit once.
    I think Lady Voldermort got a pass because ultimately it was very funny, it was just so long. I briefly thought this was going to be shady editing, but when Ru called it out, I was shocked. 17mins???? Michelle was right to label it selfish.

Of course, that also happened with Heidi and Jaida. I don't mind bathroom humor, but Jaida's show was so boring, and I got the feeling she just wasn't into it. As for Heidi...........no comment.
    On the Pitstop w. Bob the Drag Queen and Miz Cracker, they gave so many examples of how to make a "I pissed myself" story funny. I just don't know how you can go so wrong with it??? So, so wrong.

THE PIT-STOP: Ep.11

Jackie Cox's skit was my favorite, not only because it was funny, but because it was so personal. When RuPaul told her "you made us love you", I was so happy for her. The "What is zissss?" comment, combined with the look on her face, was hysterical. It was well done, well timed, funny, and gave us a view into what makes Jackie, Jackie.
    100% agreed #greatminds

Regarding Jackie's look, did she say it was an homage to the Shelley Winters film? I've never heard of that. I assumed it was based on the song from the late 50s.
    No, she didn't specifically reference the film BUT as the original source is a song, I assume the visual aid had to be linked to the film inspiration. Either way, if you enter "purple people eater" into Google Images it doesn't bring up anything that looks like her outfit. The skin blotches, the yellow fur... I don't see how she came to that moment?
    (https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...4dUDCAY&uact=5)

I was surprised by that choice in song. There are certain songs that you can listen to and think "lip sync challenge", and "Purple Rain" is not one of them. Jaida did her best to work it, and i felt certain that Heidi would go home. Jackie is in the top 5! I am hoping that she's makes it to Top 3, but I won't be surprised if she goes home before them. It's my hope that [REDACTED] goes home first. I hope she has a really bad week and goes home.
    We'll find out tomorrow. All I "know" is Ru has never, EVER had someone with three wins not make the Final 3/Final 4 (in a regular series)... which implies both Gigi and Jaida will be in the top 4.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

RuVIEW [EPISODE 12]
    Heidi has been eliminated... our Miss Congeniality is gone (come on, we all know she's getting it). And after Jaida has served us some hilarious Heidi Hydrate in the whistling tones of her goodbye message... we get a very dramatic blackout. This has actually happened once before, in Untucked during season 11. Are power-outs in L.A. a thing? Report cards are brought up (again), Ben dela Creme is working overtime to work the algorithm of eliminations, Jackie takes the Susie Lucie title for Season 12 and everyone celebrated Crystal's win. It's all to play for in this final challenge...

"Witches are just strong powerful women... just like us" ~ Crystal

It's a new day in the 'You Betta Werk Room' and we have time for one last, little mini-challenge before the finale. Considering how few we had at the start of the season, I'm glad they picked up the pace down the line. Sadly I wasn't a massive fan of this one. They use to "glam up" various looks as a mini-challenge (boxes in season 2, braziers in season 3, shoes in season 4); so I'm glad this task has returned... I just don't care for Las Vegas glamour. I have not seen any "quintessential Las Vegas look" be chic or attractive. It just looks takey to me. Garish colours and classless looks. Gigi combined colours the best and hers did look the most expensive... but I just didn't like any of them. No trophy. It was a bit of a flop...

DRAG RACE LIVE
    The maxi challenge is a twist on the standard final episode challenge (first started in All Stars 2) where you must write and perform a choreographed rap, pushing the limits of your dance and lipsyncing. I understand why they have changed it up, because (while I loved it) that was literally what the opening TWO episodes did. To repeat it a third time would be weird. They don't meet Ru and Michelle for their podcast, which was surprising. AND they didn't talk to their younger self on the runway. Also surprising. Overall I was a little underwhelmed, as a final challenge. I just... wanted more. The opening two-parter had such a "WOW" effect, and I didn't feel that on this challenge. And I'll be honest... I blame Jamal Simms. I know, I know! He is one good looking man, but I found a lot of the choreography kinda sloppy, or uncreative or not pushing the queens. Madonna: the RuSical seemed more complex. This should feel like a Broadway show, and all I got was Off-Off-Broadway. This did not make me anxious to go see Drag Race Live in Vegas. Quite the opposite.

"Baby I Made It". This was the best song of the bunch. I LOVED the concept of them starting in their entrance looks, that was a very cool idea (though I think it hindered Crystal on switching her make-up between songs, as it was VERY severe for the entrance look. This felt the most like a musical, even if the choreography wasn't that inspiring.
    "Just the Mirror". A great montage in the mirrors; continuing the journey of their Drag Race experience, being stripped down to find who they really are; it was conceptually excellent. Delivering... meh. Jackie did the best, but Crystal's wig line... eeeeek!
    "Losing is the New Winning". This was the finale song??? a) what an odd song to make them do, the final challenge lets focus on losing? That's not the journey they were carving out at the start b) I hate disco! Outside of Bebe's lipync against Trixie to "the Boss", disco has never worked for me on this show. This disco 'rap' (because let's be honest, 95% of what they did was NOT rap) really hindered them. It didn't let them grow their journey and the beat didn't allow for a huge variety. It was too positive, if that makes sense? I didn't want positive, I wanted fierce!
    Crystal. I liked the rap, it was very Crystal, but didn't knock it out of the park (and she really needed to, to snatch the crown). I felt she had a lot of missteps with her looks and her make-up. The fringe on the top of her final dance number was good, but the bottom half needed to be tight for the contrast. And her over abundance of necklaces (which I normally love) didn't work this time. A good colour pallet but badly accessorized.
    Gigi Goode. The look was a ten. I LOVED this Queen of Hearts/Fifth Element realness; it was so bad-ass and a real showstopper. That slide was evvvvvvvverything. But her rap, compared to her first episode, was just 'okay'. God I hate disco.
    Jaida Essence Hall. She looked great, even if it's just a bodysuit; and I expect nothing less from Jaida. But her performance was not amazing. Esp. in the segment where her moves were directly contrasted with Gigi, my eye went to Gigi everytime. And that's not good.
    Jackie Cox. Her lyrics were great, I think actually she was the most interesting with her wordplay, and the disco really went with her styling. The flight attendant shimmer was so much fun. Of all the queens I think she's the only one who bettered her rap from the opening episodes.

CATEGORY IS... ELEGANZA EXTRAVIGANZA
    TOOT
    Crystal Methyd. This was almost a show stopper. Almost. I didn't like the asymmetrical puffy sleave, the top being so fitted and sleak, and the bottom so heavy and bulbous... that would have been very cool. Almost perfect. The face was beat for the gawds though.
    Jaida Essence Hall. While Jaida lacks Gigi's referential whimsy, she always gives me high fashion polish. I'm never been let down by her looks, and this was no exception. It was Storm meets Darcel Leonard Wynne combined with an Emmy award. The thin chiffon black cape attached at the shoulders, draped and flowed so beautifully. It was quintessential Jaida: polished, sophisticated and gorgeous.

BOOT
    Jackie Cox. The idea is lovely. But two unfortunate things happened. One, Gigi already did the Dior silhouette this season, and she did it much, much better. Two, the dress was so big it looked like Lady Voldemort's entrance look (which we JUST SAW in the challenge). I loved the colour, I loved the blue gloves with the blue hair and she looked gorgeous. But if your finale runway is a less good copy of your competition... it sends a bad message...

RUNWAY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. For a brief second I was so disappointed. Gigi is my lewk queen and I was excited to see how she will bring the Glamzon to life. And then she comes out in this Peggy Sue/Never Been Kissed tragedy... AND... I LOVED IT! It's so bold. As a choice to bring a stereotypical "ugly girl" look into fashion heaven it's unbeatable. The bedazzled head piece, the bow-tie and ruffles. Everything about this was a unique and fearless statement. It was the biggest surprise, and the biggest swing. Like Yvie's "three eye'd, three breasted goddess", this was using the finale runway to remind everyone about the C. U. N. T. in charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent. I would have never, ever thought such a look could be so powerful and told us something about who she is: she is that loner. She is that girl, but she is still beautiful because what she offers inside, her talent, shines through. It really was a mic drop.

LIPSYNC
    It came down to stats, and I get it. Everyone did so well, how else do you decide? They both did well in the lipsync, but stats decided this one.

OVERALL
    Sadly the least impressive final challenge since back when they did music videos. A weak mini-challenge, dull choreography and a cumbersome disco tune really hampered them all from shining the way I know they can. The last episode should not have been a plug for the Las Vegas Live show, it should have been about the queens. Very disappointing.
    ~ rating: ★★☆☆☆ [grade: C-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-31-2020 at 05:40 AM.

I am sad to see Jackie go, but I'm not surprised. However, I will say that I'm glad she fought to the end. She didn't crash and burn in her last episode, and made it hard for the judges. There wasn't anyone in the final group that was flat out awful.

I also would give the boot to Jackie for her runway look. It was well done, but it didn't say "eleganza" to me. To me, eleganza is a showstopper that could be seen on the red carpet, or an over the top outfit that really personifies the queen's personality. The look reminded me of a 50s housewife, and while it was a stand out, I don't think it fit the category of eleganza.

That being said, I didn't think that Crystal Methyd's outfit was "eleganza" either. I thought it was a genie cosplay outfit. It was well done, but was it eleganza?

I am sad to see Jackie go, but I'm not surprised. However, I will say that I'm glad she fought to the end. She didn't crash and burn in her last episode, and made it hard for the judges. There wasn't anyone in the final group that was flat out awful.
    Agreed. I always feel bad when they leave looking the most busted (Milk, Derrick Berry) or leave because they just bombed so much (Brita, Dax!). Jackie did a great job, but so did everyone. This was a TOUGH season. So many challenges I felt "yeah... no-one was awful, everyone delivered something".

I also would give the boot to Jackie for her runway look. It was well done, but it didn't say "eleganza" to me. To me, eleganza is a showstopper that could be seen on the red carpet, or an over the top outfit that really personifies the queen's personality. The look reminded me of a 50s housewife, and while it was a stand out, I don't think it fit the category of eleganza.
    I agree it was very 50s housewife, which I like, but I don't feel that says "Jackie Cox". She's campy, she's 60s, she playful and referential. And... while this does all of that to a degree, it was certainly not one of her best looks. And considering she's our Persian princess, it didn't give me that at all.

That being said, I didn't think that Crystal Methyd's outfit was "eleganza" either. I thought it was a genie cosplay outfit. It was well done, but was it eleganza?
    I agree; if she wanted to go genie, go SUPER queen of the genies. Needed less puff and more cape. Image that outfit with a sleek top, and the longest damn flowing train EVER!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK! I forgot Fan Art Friday! Apologies, here you go...

CZARRYY
    https://www.instagram.com/czarryy/

JACK LINJA
    https://www.instagram.com/jackilinja/

NOTANPRIETX
    https://www.instagram.com/notanprieto/

So we are one week away from crowning our Season 12 winner! Firstly lets look at stats:

THE TOP THREE
    Gigi Goode. Top 2. MINI (ep#4) W. High. ["Top Toot" ep.5]. W. W. ["Top Toot" ep.7] MINI (ep#8). Low. Low. MINI (ep#12).W.
    Jaida Essence Hall W. High. Low. Low. High. W. ["Top Toot" ep.9] W. Bttm2. ["Top Toot" ep.12]
    Crystal Methyd. Low. Low. High. High. ["Top Toot" ep.8]. High. High. ["Top Toot" ep.10]. W. ["Top Toot" ep.11]. Bttm2.

Statistically Gigi has runaway with the season. 4 wins, 0 bottoms, 3 mini challenge wins, 2 "Top Toots". For a fashion queen, she's also delivered comedy and performance, which is a big deal. Add to that, if this was All Stars she'd have 5 wins, because she lipsync'd for her legacy in the first episode. She's not a one-trick pony. Her biggest competition is Jaida with 3 wins, 1 bttms, 2 "Top Toots".

We don't know how the finally will go, if it's a lipsync battle it will not be as easy to judge, possibly. We don't know. We have seen with Shea that stats don't necessarily save you when it comes to a lipsync battle BUT I think that's too simplistic as data on it's own. a) Sasha didn't just 'beat her', she delivered THE BEST lipsync of all time. That counts. b) If you count highs and lows, Sasha was actually only 1 point away from Shea. And with Brooke vs Yvie... Yvie actually has the second best run in Drag Race HERstory in terms of being in the top (Jinx has the longest run in the top). Add in Ru's never crowned someone in a regular season with 2 bttms, and Yvie should have had another win for the final episode (that didn't have a winner, where as Season 12 did)... it tells a very different story with stats not being the decider.

Crystal and Jaida are just so far away from Gigi in points; I don't believe they will stop her; because it almost invalidates the point of the competition if it's "only" about who does the best in the final lipsync. I will say I won't mind any one of them taking the crown. Part of me loves the narrative arc of Crystal winning, the one we didn't expect, who built and built and built; plus I think she should have actually won 3 challenges. I just think Gigi slayed the season and I still want her to win, with full confidence Crystal could take an All Stars crown.

One last thing to bare in mind: Gigi SLAYED her lipsync against Widow, in a way I haven't seen Crystal or Jaida do. I don't see someone topping her performance so much she loses.

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Let's play a game:
    1. Favourite Runway Looks (pick 3):
    a.
    b.
    c.
    2. Favourite Runway (as a collection):
    3. Favourite Lipsync:
    4. Favourite Episode:
    5. Favourite Mini-Challenge:
    6. Favourite Performance:

BONUS
    - Favourite Ru Look:

Hiya Kieran_Frost! I'll play your game. I won't be using spoilers, because there's really nothing to spoil now. Then, I'll post up some impressions.

Let's play a game:
    a. Jackie Cox in her Buttons & Bows look
    b. GiGi Goode in her Good Humor Girl
    c. GiGi Goode in her Sparkle Spring look, the pastel biker girl jumpsuit
    2. Favourite Runway (as a collection): Not sure what you mean on this one, which queen has the best overall looks? If so, GiGi Goode
    3. Favourite Lipsync: Heidi & Jackie - Kill The Lights
    4. Favourite Episode: Snatch Game
    5. Favourite Mini-Challenge: Always a toss-up between 'puppets' and 'the library is open'. They did that one differently this season, it wasn't as good.
    6. Favourite Performance: Jackie Cox's one woman show

BONUS
    - Favourite Ru Look:

Loved the online reunion, with the bedtime theme. I really loved the letter that Ru read from Jackie's mother. overall, this group of queens is much friendlier than others, I think. However, I think that Ru shouldn't have worn that face mask, it affected his speech, and made him sound odd.

Time to mention the elephant in the room. I get that they want to give no attention to She Who Will Not Be Named, however, at this point, I think the queens should've addressed the who matter of SWWNBN. I'm assuming that they can't talk about it for legal reasons, but I thought that it was a matter that should have been addressed.

RuVIEW [RuUNITED]
    "For the first time in drag race HERstory safe... is a good word" ~ RuPaul
    We begin with the opening credits to the Brady Bunch TV series, but done Drag Race style with a new silly song called "the Shady Bunch". LOVED IT! I howled with laughter when Porkchop appeared in the middle as Alice. It was a super cute, tongue-in-cheek way of presenting the Reunion. I was so curious to see how the show would handle this in lockdown, and I have to say it was not only very successfully done but... quite inspiring. I feel very hopefully and uplifted having watched it. To see others going through the same thing was oddly comforting and even empowering. It's yet another window into their lives. Anyway; just before it all starts officially, we get Ru referencing "Miss Corona Virus" and it made me laugh, because I swear they described Valentina's Club Kid as "Miss SARS". Which is ironic, considering Ru's current look...

CATEGORY IS... SLUMBER PARTY/SLEEP WEAR REALNESS
    TOOT
    Gigi Goode. She's at the slumber party for Sandra Dee and I loved it! The freckles on her face, the blue polka dots with the red side bun hair. So refined. In Whatcha Packin' she talked to Michele Visage about being very 80s right now in her looks and I totally see the influence. It was 80s heaven, and she had her name on the screen in the back, and the writing and curtains matched her wig. This is a SMART queen, who thinks beyond just the obvious.
    Heidi N' Closet. This is the most beautiful Heidi has ever looked, oh my goodness her face is BEAT! I love this giant lace bow with the jewels on her head, and the pussycat wig shows off both the headpiece and her new make-up skills. Gigi later says "glow up" in references to Heidi's face, and it's 100% accurate.
    Jaida Essence Hall. In your soul, in your heart of hearts YOU KNOW this b*tch MADE THIS! It was so smart because it was playful but made the focus purely on her face, her lips, her words. The light bounced of it, it was just so clever. Her eyes have never looked better. It is very telling the Top 5 had the best looks; that is why they got to the end.
    Jackie Cox. I think this is the perfect blend of glamour and night-time. This isn't what you sleep in, but it's what you sit in your make-up parlor drinking your cocktail before bed as you take off your jewels. The details on the bodice, the peek-a-boo bra, the wrap on her head with a jewel. It was all very beautiful.

BOOT
    Brita. Oh Brita, I've missed booting your looks, HA! This was not nighty, nigh-time, night-nothing. It was... yet another miss, with little concept and the same make-up and same hair. I'm bored. AGAIN! [GLITTERED RASPBERRY]
    Nicky Doll. This was very boring. She's a look queen... where's the look?
    Rock M Sakura. This... the white swallowed her; and it didn't tell me who she was; the blue eyeshadow didn't contrast nicely and I don't understand the glasses. I also don't understand why she put her promo-look front and centre of the shot, when this was a chance to show something NEW!
    ZOOM TROPHY: Crystal Methyd. It was Jim Carrey's Scrooge from A Christmas Carol (2009) meets a gayer version of Engywook in the Neverending Story (1984). I love how camp and silly it was, a big camp candy stick. Her makeup is STUNNING! Truly a brilliant queen. Never, ever change Crystal

JAN "Safe"
    Jan... tried way too hard. The shade button got tiring, her self-deprecation felt attention seeking. I... I just don't like Jan. I feel she isn't being honest; or something... something doesn't feel truthful. I don't know who she is, only who she WANTS US to think she is, if that makes sense? I feel about her that Michelle felt about Shangela in Season 3. Everyone else LIVES for drag. I don't think Jan lives for drag. I think Jan lives for attention and fame and to be praised. And she isn't a phenomenal singer, can we just get that out the way? She's very good. But she's not Celine Dion. Stop carting out the same one note to imply you have range. Do. Not. Like.

NICKY DOLL "Confusing"
    Her chest was so sweaty, which was confusing. I was disappointed with her. She was a look queen, and went so early... this was her ONE CHANCE to remind everyone she's fabulous. And between the sweat and the outfit... I don't think she achieved that. Also did anyone else feel she was a little bitter? About being in the bottom both times, being named by the queens. It was one of the more awkward moments of the reunion. It was fun to learn she did Pete Davidson's make-up for SNL when RuPaul hosted it.

JACKIE "Life-changing"
    Ru had three great moments with Jackie. First calling her Susan Lucie made me happy, because I said that in my last RuView. Then Shady Ru's comment "something I've never said before... you're the winner of this week's challenge." BWHAHAHAHA! And then we had the note from Jackie's mother. Ru read the sh*t out of that note, and I'm surprised how emotional other queens got, but Jackie seemed oddly... fine. Huh.

AIDEN "Unpredictable"
    Actually Aiden won me over. "I started a bedroom queen and I'm still a bedroom queen" was cute. The clips of her bedroom shows, those outfits! They were all so much better than most of her runways this season. Shady Ru is back "you have multiple personalities... why only one wig?" HAHAHA! Ru just hates those pussycat wigs. Almost as much as the queens hated his 'Balls to the Wall' look. BOOT! Then we get to one of the few 'drama' moments:
    - AIDEN vs BRITA "Unfiltered". I loved Aiden calling it out, matter of fact. I do appreciate Brita admitting she was being petty, bitter, admitting she was afraid. "I didn't like the person I saw." That isn't easy to say, and it felt genuine. And I appreciate Aiden's maturity. She didn't labour it, she was upfront but forgiving, and saying "it wasn't bully" was very kind, and I HOPE gives Brita some relief on social media. I'm sad we never saw the Brita both Jackie and Jan talked about. How supportive she is; how positive, a person fully of joy... it's a shame, because we never saw that.
    READING TROPHY: Brita. She finally gets a trophy!!! Both her reads had me HOWLING!!! "Aiden Zane, I'm really sorry how I treated you all season but I was just preparing you for how Patricia Quinn would treat you after Snatch Game." The shadiest, funniest read since... Katya mentioned Roxxy being abandoned at the bus stop. And then the second best read: "Dahlia. You certainly do talk a big game for someone who came in 13th place on a 12 queen season." GENIUS!!! OH MY GOD!!!

HEIDI "Rollercoaster"
    Her silent reactions were so cute, the whole episode. Honestly, they should have just crowned her Miss Congeniality this episode, NO ONE is taking it from her. She is the new Latrice Royale (since Latrice fell from grace in All Stars 4). The interjection of "I love beef jerky" was... perfection. I did love her talking about her anger issues, and how she build a sense of humour from counseling, it all made sense. And just made me love her even more. Though everyone booting her Michelle Visage runway was just, and Jackie's honesty admitting that look saved her from the bttm2. LOL!
    - HEIDI V GIGI "El DeBarge". Gigi looked worried, and I get it. The fans hate her for it, they still bring it up as the reason they hate her (which is stupid). Heidi seemed fine with it, happy to watch it again even. It's a bit unfair. Gigi apologies and that was very smart and sensible. There was no drama, they are clearly fine with it. The fans needs to get over it!

WIDOW "Star"
    I loved her teddy bear, and her Shade fan was better than Jan's stupid button. She opened up, a little. She's still not really ready.

SAKURA "Robbed"
    From farts to masturbation. HA! They all seem to really love her, and I really like her too. She seems sweet. Her best moment was saving Nicky's terrible read: "don't worry guys, I put everything into google translate and it came out funny." HA!

DAHLIA "Sickening"
    I really don't like people bragging about smokin' pot. It's not cool, it's illegal, and it's not even that rebellious. So f*ck off. Honestly I remembered her hot brother dressed as a sexy Broc-ally more than I did anything she contributed.

OVERALL
    A very creative and nice RuUnion. And that was the overall issue, it's just all so nice. I don't know if the queens are more concerned about what the fans think and don't want to stop on any toes; but I think it's more likely they are just... nice queens with no drama. And that'd a let down for a RuUnion. Think of Tammie Brown "I don't see you walking kids in nature." Think of Aja's "I... just don't think... you should be Miss Congeniality!" Think of Vixen storming off and that empty chair. WigGate last season (it was so stupid, but so fun).
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B]

RuVIEW [FINALE]
    The finale of Drag Race, trying to embody all the good things we expect from it, not hiding that it's in lockdown, while also proving Miss Corona Virus will not beat us. Michelle is back, and we still get the finale looks. YEY! BRING BACK MY GIRLS!!!

CATEGORY IS... FINALE
    TOOT
    Dahlia Sin. I think this green works really well with her skin tones, it was very pretty, if a little reminiscent of Violet Chachki's Hello Kitty look (minus the head piece)
    Rock M Sakura. I LOVED THIS! It did exactly what it said on the tin, it was anime goodness, crazy colourful. I felt like I was in the heart of Tokyo at night, and her eye make-up was the best she's ever done it. Add the black sheer underneath... it was all so creative and gorgeous.
    Aiden Zhane. Wow! This is the most beautiful she's ever looked. It was all so special; a copper and black peacock, with the right amount of cleanness and detail to make it truly beautiful. Toot toot toot!
    Jan. I liked it, it was a fun twist of Edward Scissorhands in lockdown; and her face and hair were beautiful. I still don't know who she is though. Plus, not to be shady, but... has she gained quite a lot of weight in isolation?
    Jackie Cox. It's a (soft) Toot. It's very nice, and it's all done so beautifully, I like the placement of the crystal circles, and the jus of the bower was just anough, without swallowing her... but I was expected to be wow'd, and she didn't.
    Crystal Methyd. This pinata horse was so STUPID I loved it. It made me chuckle so much, and it was quintessential Crystal. Wacky, weird and wonderful.
    Gigi Goode. GAG! It was stunning! The helmet is back, and revealing that crazy beehive hair, the perfect match for the colour of the gown. So expensive, so impressive. LOVED IT!

BOOT
    Nicky Doll. Meh. She's a look queen. Where's the polish? Where's the look? That bodice looked super cheap.
    Brita. It was nice. But her make-up was bad, and this wasn't thinking outside the box. It was very Brita. Meaning it was very safe, very uninspiring, very predicable. Meh!
    Widow Von'Du. I love the idea of this... but I think that material was categorically the wrong choice to shoot outdoors in daylight. Her face was beat, and the idea is strong. Execution looked very 'arts&crafts'.
    Heidi N' Closet. Oh dear, we've gone back a pace. Her make-up at the RuUnion was stunning, this is back to busted. And the dress, while pretty... is... just a nice dress. For a finale I expect elevation.
    RuPaul. No. For a finale... no! NO MORE FACEKINI!!!
    FINALE LOOK TROPHY: Jaida Essence Hall. I adored this; this was a queen who embodied the cosmos and all of it was so well designed. It's meticulous, and that material! To quote Jessica Wild: Oh I loooovvvvve it. And you know this b*tch made it herself! CRAFTY QUEEN! It was gorgeous, it was unique and it could have so easily gone wrong. There is a fine line, and she walked it beautifully.

CLOSE UP LIPSYNC
    Crystal Methyd. This made me very sad; it showed a lack of refinement on Crystal's part. This make-up was the WRONG choice for a close-up lipsync. We can't clearly see her lips, now can we see her eyes. It was a terrible mistake. [GLITTERED RASPBERRY]
    Jaida Essence Hall. While I appreciated Carson's comment on moving her face in and out to steal focus, ultimately it just looked unflattering (she wasn't stealing focus due to performance, but due to unattractive faces). It was disappointing for me, but still a good performance.
    CLOSE UP TROPHY: Gigi Goode. She slayed it. Gigi has this gift for drawing her lips akin to Sasha Velour, you can't not look at them. The choice to give herself extra big lashes, to really emote with them was so smart. And she nailed it, while giving variety, and really telling the story. It was... all so perfect.

HOME VIDEOS
    I loved the idea of this, it very much reminded me of Drag Race Thailand's finale episode, where the queens were allowed to perform any number they wanted, however they wanted. So kudos to that, it was a great idea, I just... didn't feel anyone stole it.
    Jaida Essence Hall. She lipsync'd in her living room, covering her face with her hair several times, and moving her lips out of shot twice. This was lazy. Super, super lazy. Put a glass of wine in any gay guy's hand on a Saturday night and he'd do exactly the same. Basic AF. I mean she looked GORGEOUS doing it, she is a woman. Let's speak facts. WO-MAN! But this just felt... so uncreative. And based on her looks, how can she be uncreative?
    Crystal Methyd. I LOVED THE IDEA! And she had me for the first half. I was willing to go on this journey, because it was so bonkers and bizarre and... just, crazy kookie. Regurgitating into her own mouth! I MEAN, COME ON! But it needed to change it up a gear. When that chorus hit, I needed her to burst through the landscape dressed as big bird, or Asia's Tweety bird. SOMETHING! This wasn't sustainable as a concept for the whole song.

Gigi Goode. I'm torn. On the one hand I think this was easily the best of the three. It was the most polished, and super creative. The costume change, the "Name Something..." all over her body, referencing her comment from the third episode. The 80s love, the drawing of Crystal on her motorbike. It was all so meticulous and wonderful. It didn't gag me because of the lipsync itself. While good, it wasn't perfect. The moves were a little repetitive, not just in this song, but reminiscent from her first lipsync to Nicki Minaj; and I feel she could have done more in the actual lipsync department. That's what we're here for, after all. So I'm not going to give it a trophy. But it was still the best of the three.

MISS CONGENIALITY
    Nina West shows up for a super fun cut-away with Dolly Parton which made me smile; serving Dumpling realness. Heidi wins. No surprises there. Moving on.

My favourite part of the episode comes in the form of our reigning queen Yvie Oddly. It once again proved how wonderful Yvie is, I just love her. While the look was fun in the idea, it didn't take it to the next level (but it's isolation, I get it, let's not pretend Violet made her INCREDIBLE season 8 finale look herself the way Yvie did here). But who cares, the whole segment was hilarious, self-deprecating, odd and wonderful. The final moment talking about all the incredible things that will happen to a crowned queen and then cutting to her cleaning a toilet... GENIUS!

THE FINAL LIPSYNC
    Jaida Essence Hall. Her lipsync was good, lots of high energy and moves, and I liked the pulling up of the crown on her head at the end. And she always looks good, that's just a fact. It wasn't gagged by the reveals because... it was obvious she had a reveal under the cape. Like Trinity's cape in AS4, it's not a gag if you've signposted it miles away. It was a fine performance. And the lipsync was on point. She Kameron Michaels'd it, basically (#shade).
    Crystal Methyd. Oh bless. I think she looked lovely, very Queen of Hearts meets Andy Warhol but this... was not her moment. I don't remember anything she did. Literally anything.
    Gigi Goode. My favourite reveals are ones I don't see coming. I didn't clock she was Dorothy when she appeared, and I certainly didn't think she'd go from black&white Dorothy at the start of the film into colour, revealing the shoes and hair so perfectly. Was it a GAG to the gag-gag-gag? No. Was it necessarily a great choice for this song? Not really. Was it still more impressive than the other two? Absolutely.

Look... I'm not going to labour this: Gigi had the best stats, and she did the best in this episode. I can see arguments for why Jadia did "better" in that final lipsync (and ONLY that final lipsync). But she didn't Sasha Velour Gigi. Sasha didn't unseat the front runner of Shea because she did "mildly better." She took out Shea doing the only thing possible: delivering, arguably, the best lipsync ever seen in the show. That is the only way you should take someone out with better stats. Jaida didn't do that. She just didn't; with all the delusion in the world you cannot think that lipsync was enough to knock out the clear front-runner. Not even close. Name one iconic thing Jaida did in that lipsync? This crown was not earned, in the conventional sense. It was given. THAT SAID... she is a fantastic queen. Please do not send her hate. She's the first black pageant queen to win, she's the first "wo-mana" queen to win since Tyra Sanchez and especially in these times... maybe she is the "right" choice spiritually, even if not statically or performatively.

OVERALL
    A unique and creative solution to a lockdown finale, with some interesting moment. Little to gag over, and a slightly unsatisfying choice for the winner (based purely on the show itself, not the wider world). Such a great season by and large, that got uncomfortably soured at the very start with Lady Voldermort and now, possibly, slightly bitter at the very end too.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-31-2020 at 09:29 AM.

So that's our season. During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy. Let's see who came out on top.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    11 - Gigi Good [MINI TROPHY - 2]
    5 - Jackie Cox [MINI TROPHY - 1] / Crystal Methyd [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    4 - Jaida Essence Hall
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin / Jan
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Heidi N' Closet [MINI TROPHY - 1] / Brita
    LEFT TROPHYLESS - Aiden

The Glittered Raspberry
    This is awarded once per episode to the queen who is, for what ever reason, being a basic b*tch. Like the Golden Raspberry given to "Worst Actor/Film/Writing" the day before the Oscars; it's not a trophy you want.
    4 - Brita - ep1 / ep5 / ep6 / Reunion
    2 - Crystal Methyd - ep3 / Finale
    1 - Jan - ep2 / Aiden - ep4 / Widow - ep7

Let's play a game:
    a. Gigi's buttons&bows orange suit
    b. Crystal's Corpse Bride black wedding
    c. Gigi's Heather runway
    RUNNERS UP: Nicky Doll's Fall runway / Jaida's bathtub 'Balls to the Wall' / Jackie's Stars & Stripes hijab
    2. Favourite Runway (as a collection): Buttons&Bows
    3. Favourite Lipsync: Jackie Cox vs Widow Von'Du
    4. Favourite Episode: Madonna: the RuSical
    5. Favourite Mini-Challenge: the Gift... of Shade (ep.8)
    6. Favourite Performance: Gigi Goode as Maria the Robot

BONUS
    - Favourite Ru Look: Madonna's red and black latex w. GIANT white wig and a whip
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-31-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Let's play a game:
    a. Jackie Cox in her Buttons & Bows look
    b. GiGi Goode in her Good Humor Girl
    c. GiGi Goode in her Sparkle Spring look, the pastel biker girl jumpsuit
    2. Favourite Runway (as a collection): Not sure what you mean on this one, which queen has the best overall looks? If so, GiGi Goode
    3. Favourite Lipsync: Heidi & Jackie - Kill The Lights
    4. Favourite Episode: Snatch Game
    5. Favourite Mini-Challenge: Always a toss-up between 'puppets' and 'the library is open'. They did that one differently this season, it wasn't as good.
    6. Favourite Performance: Jackie Cox's one woman show
    When I meant "Favourite Runway" I meant as a collective whole, the most impressive runway (by and large) across all the queens. I too loved Gigi's Good Humour Girl, ohhhhh and that Sparkle look! YAS!!!

I have to say... Jackie's Button and Bows??? I love her, but boy did I hate that look! Can you talk me through why you loved it, so maybe I can appreciate it better?

However, I think that Ru shouldn't have worn that face mask, it affected his speech, and made him sound odd.
    [I wrote this about the reunion episode but had to remove it for the word count limit] The facemask... was a choice! Add in the greenscreen background, it just felt so disconnected, and distancing. Which maybe is the point, he's not like the other queens, he's above it. Almost that ethereal presence you never get to really see. But I didn't feel it was a choice out of fun... I felt I wasn't getting the whole story. They talk about a slumber party looks, Gigi saying "glad you got memo" and Jaida adding "sleep wear theme"... felt forced. Had Ru been in her blue face-mask and curls from Season 6's "Scream Queens" opening; I would have loved it. But that was a wrestling mask, it wasn't a slumber party. I just... don't believe whatever this was...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-31-2020 at 09:24 AM.