View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aiden Zhane

0 0%
  • Brita

0 0%
  • Crystal Methyd

0 0%
  • Dahlia Sin

0 0%
  • Gigi Goode

1 20.00%
  • Heidi N Closet

0 0%
  • Jackie Cox

1 20.00%
  • Jaida Essence Hall

0 0%
  • Jan

2 40.00%
  • Nicky Doll

0 0%
  • Rock M. Sakura

0 0%
  • Sherry Pie

0 0%
  • Widow Von'Du

1 20.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

RuPaul's DRAG RACE [Season 12]

RuPaul's DRAG RACE
    [Season 12]

"I pledge allegiance to the drag!" ~ Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

A brand new season, with brand new queens. Let us discuss, post reviews, fan art! OH MY GOD FAN ART! I love the fan art! Anything and everything. Obviously this is very focused on season 12, but post any drag race love, if you want (queens coming to your local clubs, new songs out, etc). But... please let's none of us attack the queens this year. Criticise them, yes, but let's remember it's drag! It's silly. It's fun. And while a queen can come off as "talentless" ON THE SHOW, that doesn't mean they aren't a fierrrrrrce queen in "the other real world" (as my teacher once said).

https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/

REGARDING SPOILERS!
    Please, please use spoiler tags! I think if we all wait till Monday to stop using them, that should be fine
    [as any die hard drag race fan would have seen the show by Monday, or avoided all on-line media, so they won't see it regardless]

THE FINAL FOUR
    Crystal Methyd. Low. Low. High. High. ["Top Toot" ep.8]. High. High. ["Top Toot" ep.10]. W. ["Top Toot" ep.11]. Bttm2.
    Gigi Goode. Top 2. MINI (ep#4) W. High. ["Top Toot" ep.5]. W. W. ["Top Toot" ep.7] MINI (ep#8). Low. Low. MINI (ep#12).W.
    Jaida Essence Hall W. High. Low. Low. High. W. ["Top Toot" ep.9] W. Bttm2. ["Top Toot" ep.12]
    Jackie Cox ["Top Toot" promo looks] High. High. High. High. Low. MINI (ep#8). High. MINI (ep#9). Bttm2. Bttm2. MINI (ep#11). High. ELIMINATED

Heidi N Closet. Low. High. Bttm2. Bttm2. W. Bttm2. ELIMINATED
    Widow Von'Du. W. ["Top Toot" ep.4]. High. High. Bttm2. ELIMINATED
    Jan. ["Top Toot" ep.3]. High. ["Top Toot" ep.6]. High. ELIMINATED
    Brita. High. Bttm2. Low. Bttm2. ELIMINATED
    Aiden Zhane. Low. High. ELIMINATED
    Nicky Doll. Low. ["Top Toot" ep.1] Bttm2. High. ELIMINATED
    Rock M. Sakura. ["Top Toot" ep.2] ELIMINATED
    Dahlia Sin. ELIMINATED

[DISQUALIFIED] Sherry Pie

N.B. Our Reigning Queen!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-24-2020 at 03:18 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

RuVIEW [EPISODE 1] (PART I)
    A NEW SEASON!!! SQUEAL! And the first major shocker of the series... it's a TWO PARTER!!! Come through, season 6! Now let's get to our queens and their entrance lewks. Always a key part of a series. This is the first real 'statement' you get to make, about yourself, about your style and your ideas. Think Sasha Valour's scream. Think Chad's Cher. Think Yvie's drag race car (loooooove her)
    Brita. Personality 10. Every line was a scream. Her look was good, I loved the pink furry friend (shout out to Jaymes Mansfield) and the leopard print with pink outlining was so wrong... it's right.
    Nicky Doll. I like him, I liked the idea of the black-and-white stripes with a pop of red (everything in black and white and red looks great); but something didn't work. Also his forehead looked HA-UGE.
    Widow Von'Du. Is it fun, yes. Have we seen the black crows before? Many, many times (Akeria at the finale, Kameron, Yuhua and Eureka in season 10)
    Jackie Cox. Personality 10. Already I wanna be rooting for this Persian queen... and I loved the writing on the chest, but that entrance look. #choices
    Heidi N Closet. I'm undecided about the tongue thing, and the pink leopard print was a fabric we've seen many times (infamously in the 'tale of two titties' with Ginger Minj and Sasha Belle). But I'm a sucker for a c*nt-ry queen. So I adored her interview cut-aways.
    Crystal Methyd. Look, entrances are about making a statement. And that green clown realness... was a statement. Not sure it was a statement I liked, but it told us exactly who she was... yikes.
    ENTRANCE TROPHY: Gigi Goode. That Pirates of the Caribbean inspired imagery was everything. Perfect colour, the spy-glass in the same fabric. It was hands down the winner.

(MAXI) Mini Challenge (with wings): in an ode to Season 7 we have the queens doing a runway show, gagging us with their best Spring and Fall collections. It was super fun, though Kimora Blac playing Kim K was no Alaska embodying Anne Wintour. And this will factor into the final judgement, so it matters.

Spring
    Brita. Hilariously, to quote Michelle Visage from this same mini-challenge in season 7 "all that... tulle". I wasn't a huge fan of the shape it was making on her body, but I did like the reveal. Still not sure the pay-off was worth the initial unflattering shape.
    Nicky Doll. It's cute, the pretty lavendar was flattering, but I didn't like the hair with it. Maybe not so much the colour, but the shape? For a lewkkkkk queen, I've yet to see a lewk.
    Jackie Cox. I love the idea, but the hair and make-up don't match. It was such a young look, and her face was... old. And she's not an old person, but the way it was styled felt dated.
    Heidi N Closet. LOVE LOVE LOVE! I've not seen that silhouette before, which in-of-itself is very note worthy. The colours were a joy, and so what it fell off, the effect was worth it (and ha! "Civil Rights Hair!" cut-away)
    Gigi Goode. Ohhhh, two-for-two. Love this, love the pastel pallet and anytime a queen makes a reference to racing or a race, I'm here for it. The touch of the biker helmet. This was chic af.
    Crystal Methyd. Meh. Total meh.
    SPRING TROPHY: Widow Von'Du. This neon hoodie gorgeousness!!! Oh my gawd! I loved it, loved the ruveal, how the hood just became shoulder pads. And how this queen is not afraid of exaggerating her shape (rather than trying to trick you into thinking she has this epic waist). LOVE THIS!

Fall
    Brita. The oil spill look. I didn't like it. The blue under-bra felt very disconnected. I think she had the weakest overall dual looks for this mini-challenge. You in danger, gurl!
    Widow Von'Du. A beautiful peach colour, that worked well on her skin. And again the embracing of "thickums" was so joyous. I'm really liking her style.
    Jackie Cox. A far more successful nod to the past, with hair to match the look. Very lovely.
    Heidi N Closet. Well... I did enjoy it, and I like how she embraces very different silhouettes each time. Different is good, and I like it.
    Gigi Goode. WINNER! Boy BDSM horse jocky realness. It was giving me Davina deCampo's horsey goodness in "Day at the Races"
    Crystal Methyd. This was SO GOOD! I've never seen a fashionable Freddy Kruger look everrrrrrrr, it was hilarious and cool all at once. The use of plasters as the hair was such a brilliant touch.
    FALL TROPHY:Nicky Doll. I mean this was beautiful. It was French, arty, clever, the monocle was a delicious touch with the white hair. Yas kweeeen! It was effortlessly beautiful.

Now to the main event: a rap to "I'm That B*tch" where the queens have to do the choreography! WHAT??? This is a lot for the first challenge; and I couldn't be happier. AND there are only 7 queens for the first episode! Oh I'm here for this, it's fantastic. I love getting the chance to really know all the queens, and give them a chance to truly shine (or not). The choreography period was a bit of a car-crash, but with them not knowing each other, and the need to shine, I understand why.

MAIN CHALLENGE: I'M THAT B*TCH
    Brita. I didn't love the outfit, it didn't give me 'bad b*tch', it was very basic. And it looked like she forgot the words.
    Nicky Doll. One of my favourite outfits in the rap (cutesy but very fun); sadly she looked awkward in background moments, and her lyrics were forgettable.
    Crystal Methyd. I hate the pink leopard print; esp. because WE ALREADY SAW THAT OVERUSED PRINT THIS EPISODE in Heidi's entrance look. Why did she pick that, knowing someone else had already worn it that episode??? But I liked the lyrics.
    Gigi Goode. Slayyyyyyyed! Her lyrics were so fun, and arguably the clearest (I heard every word) and she brought such fun and joy to the rap. Her look was meh. The combo of leopard and pink is fantastic, but the overall outfit wasn't anything to get excited about.
    Heidi N Closet. I hated this look, my least favourite of the episode? But Heidi did a great job with the moves, but I felt the acrobatics got a little out of hand. A little too much, and so the lipsync got lost.
    Jackie Cox. I loved the idea of the look, but the boobs (at points) looked too fake (I know, I know), but they bounced very oddly, and needed taping down. That said Jackie was a joy to watch, she was campy and silly and had me chuckling even when not rapping and just in the background. Good lyrics too.
    B*TCH TROPHY: Widow Von'Du. She won this hands down; her epic shoulder pads and neon goodness! And those moves and lyrics, absolutely nailed it! Best look, best moves, and an energy that was infectious.
    TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-02-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

PART II
    Oh my goodness, so much happened this episode I had to do a second part. Well, it was the opening episode after all. LOVE how much went on!

CATEGORY IS... SPARKLE!
    Brita. Oh no. Oh no, what happened??? That... oh no. It looked like an asylum victim bejazzled her robes.
    Crystal Methyd. On the one hand I loved the reference to "Him" from the Powerpuff Girls. On the other hand... the make-up didn't work with that look, it was too dark, the bodysuit didn't fit and the tail was distractingly too thick. Referential looks ONLY work when the attention to detail is perfection. This was less Monqiue Heart's Puss n' Boots and more Monet X Change's Pink Panther...
    Heidi N Closet. The dress is fine, it's fine. It's nothing to gag over, not re-inventing the wheel (and the back looked odd). But that make-up and hair line???? I was so happy Michelle called it out, that was... that bad.
    Jackie Cox. Chazzzzzzzzz! Super fun Cher-esq homage, and once again she managed to better mirror the retro with her old tones. I know she's not an old queen, but she really channels it, and did a great job. It was just so pretty.
    Nicky Doll. Meh. I loved the silver feathered collar, I liked the outfit, hated how she wasn't wearing the mask but holding it. But ultimately... she's a look queen and this is her fifth look of the episode and ONLY ONE was great. Where's the look... queen?
    Widow Von'Du. SO FUN! A china doll with pink hair, and giving me Monique Heart's brown cow curves and swerves! I love how Widow is not only embracing her size, but playing with it, almost exaggerating it to prove she is beautiful no matter her waist line. It's a joy.
    RUNWAY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. It was so unique. So, so unique, and bold. Black latex and a glittered green pant suit with A BLACK HELMET FOR HAIR??? Slayed. Slayyyyyyyed.

Thoughts: I loved the nod to both Season 6 and Season 7 by having "two big openings" and a runway show as the mini-challenge. I hope they do a photoshoot challenge soon though (and not just the photobomb challenge). Ru's hats are back though... oh dear. That part of Season 8 we could have left in the past. Everything about the joy of Drag Race was right here for me this episode, and I couldn't be happier. I always love seeing Raven, so that made me happy (so sad she can never be a contestant again ). Nicky Minaj was super fun, and I loved her doing the intro (wish Ru had been in a red wig too). Also did NOT like Ru's outfit this episode (and I almost never say that), it's the opening episode where's the epic outfit??? I felt the dance moves for the group overall were oddly familiar to "the Frock Destroyers" BUT they couldn't have seen that, because this was filmed before UK Drag Race came out.

I thought THE GAG of doing an "All Stars" lipsync and not sending anyone home was the right one. We need to give Ru time to truly assess them, and like with Season 9, not sending anyone home right away is a good, fair way to give them two chances. ADDED TO THAT... no-one was terrible. Unlike most first episodes, no-one was a car crash. Both Widow and Gigi were so strong, sooooooo strong in the main challenge AND the mini-challenge, and it's too hard to pick who should have won. It was a fair way to do it, AND I hope they do that a few more times (rather than having a joint win). And maybe have a few more double eliminations for lazy lipsyncs? Because last season definitely should have had one (Silky vs Nina).

THE LIPSYNC
    Gigi won that! I'm sorry, but she did. Widow was high energy, yes she served it but it was all too much. The body contorting wasn't needed. It reminded me of Latrice vs Kenya Michael; where Kenya was all over the shop and Latrice just did the damn song. And Gigi was so fun. It do take Nerve to do a Nicky Minaj song IN FRONT OF HER and make it silly and irreverent. The silliness, the mouth stroke, lying on the floor, being unable to bend to the floor. Gigi did a fantastic job and should have won.
    STARSHIP TROPHY: Gigi Goode. Duh.

OVERALL
    What an episode! Possibly the best first episode of any season? EVER! Ru was having more fun here than I've seen in a long, long time. Playful Ru is right up there with Shady Ru and Mama Ru as the best Ru! Trap doors, laugh track, saboteur being a French word... Ru was ON FIRE! All of the queens, and I mean ALL OF THEM... were so fun. Each with their own unique personalty and style, such a strong group already. And it'll only get stronger (probably). Through the whole episode I was thinking of Jaidynn Dior Fierce's comments about the copious amount they had to do this episode. #TooMuch. But when it comes to Drag Race... more is more. Bring it on. My favourite Big Opening EVER!!!!
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A++]

P.S. I did love the mini-challenge, but ultimately none of them compared to this gag-worthy moments...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-02-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Oh wow I really need to get on the ball. I literally only just finished drag race uk (absolutely loved baga chipz)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Oh wow I really need to get on the ball. I literally only just finished drag race uk (absolutely loved baga chipz)
    Oh Drag Race UK! So much fun. I love Baga. She took a brief tumble with the make-over (that was NOT a cute look) but redeemed herself by removing her name from consideration at the end. Had Latrice sacrificed herself to save Manila, that would have redeemed her in AS4 (alas, she did not, and I think AS4 did more damage to her than anyone else). I think the right queen won. Vivienne was so, so polished; and I'm already excited for Davina to slayyyyyyy All Stars UK (in a few years).

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-29-2020 at 04:10 PM.

I went to UK Drag Con with my husband. I will say, despite not liking Scardy Kat, she was at her booth THE WHOLE time. As was Blu. Very, very professional. Shockingly Gothy... we tried three times, she was never bloody there. You'd think the first out would have tried a little harder to claw his way back with the fans??? Tried to see Davina and Baga but their cues were so, so long.

Also you might love this video I took at UK Drag Con. Now the event itself was badly mismanaged, but Miss RuPaul Charles SLAYED! He DJ'd for three hours, non-stop. I was beyond impressed.
    https://scontent-lht6-1.cdninstagram...e4e58e9b435949
    We met Jujubee, Asia, Mrs Kasha Davis... but the nicest, funniest queen was Charlie Hides. So personable and lovely. I would 100% go see one of her Bingo nights now.

(my husband and me - in the blue waistcoat meeting Charlie Hides)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-29-2020 at 04:11 PM.

It's time for some FAN ART GOODNESS!!!! I'll always try and remember to give credit to the Instgram artist, and also not just pick the same artists everytime. Let's showcase variety (though yes, Art by Cheyne's epic comic covers will always be posted). I've tried to find ones of my favourite looks from this episode from different queens. Unlike AS4 where Manila slayyyyyyyed the runway, hopefully we have some wonderful variety. So far I'm impressed with them all.
    [SIDE NOTE] I'm... I don't want to make this a social lesson, but I can't help but notice the bulk of the fan art has been done for the white queens. I wanted to post one of Widow Von'Du's gorgeous Spring look and I couldn't find any. Maybe I'm seeing something that's not there, but I also looked for Heidi's fall look (which I loved) and again... pity. Let's see if this pattern continues.

Anyway, to more fun things:

https://www.instagram.com/bibartis/

https://www.instagram.com/rikdrawsthings/

https://www.instagram.com/liverfizz/

Hey, cutie!
    I mean... ahem...
    I, too, enjoyed the premier episode.
    I thought I'd hate Minaj but she was a good judge.
    Switching things up and making it look like Helmet Girl and Black Widow were in the bottom was nicely done.
    How is Brita NOT a black man?!?! I was SO confused when I saw him out of drag on Youtube!
    I'm glad that the queens seem like genuinely nice people... at this point.
    5 different fashions in 1 episode? Fashion Photo Ruview is going to be LIT!
    The fashion show, the writing and dance challenge? This one pulled out some of the big challenges in the first episode.
    2 'premier' episodes? I think the queens in the second episode are going to be disadvantaged. 1 less episode of screen time, 1 less episode for the audience to know them.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    3 - Gigi Good
    2 - Widow Von'Du
    1 - Nicky Doll

The Glittered Raspberry
    Brita - ep1

I posted this in the LGBT+ Community thread, but thought it should go here too...
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...munity/page198
    My initial thoughts on the queens of season 12 of Drag Race, after one episode to see how right I am... (might look real foolish in 4 weeks times). It's such a strong season, SO STRONG. I will say if any of them get far, I wouldn't be surprised. NO ONE struck me as a filler queen... well... maybe one. But certainly a talented filler queen (who again... could still surprise us).
    Now normally you cannot possibly know who's going to do well after one episode (minus who wins the first episode). BUT... this wasn't an ordinary opening. 5 different looks. Rapping. Dancing. Team work. It was so, so much. This gave us a VERY good example of who these queens are.

FUN FACT: of the 11 other season, the first episode was won by (in order) Nina Flowers, Morgan McMichaels, Raja, Sharon Needles, Roxxy Andrews, Ben dela Creme/Bianca del Rio, Violet Chachki, Kim Chi, Nina Bonina Brown, Mayhem Miller, Brook Lynn Heights. So as you can see:
    - 4 of the 11 went on to win the season (not the best stat)
    - 8 of the 11 made it to the Top 3 (a better stat)
    - ONLY Mayhem Miller and Morgan McMichaels didn't make it to the final 6 (great stat)
    So chances of Widow Von'Du making it far are very, very high.

(won't last long) Crystal Methyd. Hit or miss. I'm still undecided. She's outside the box, but something feels... not THAT outside. Top 5? I don't think so. Winner? No.
    (midway) Nicky Doll. They had 5 looks, and I only liked 2. For a look queen she really isn't selling it. Her rap was good, dance okay. Top 5? Probably not. Winner? No.
    (midway) Heidi N Closet. Her personality was adorable; and I liked some of her looks a lot. She's adorable. I just don't think shes going to win. I don't see that killer instinct. Miss Congeniality? Possibly.
    (midway/Top 5) Jackie Cox. A comedy queen that's hokey and ol' school has never won. But they often get far, and surprise us. And she can turn a look. Top 5? Probably. Winner? No.
    (midway/Top 5) Brita. LOVED her personality, I didn't love her looks; in fact I thought she was the weakest of the seven in looks. And was disappointed in her performance. Could still surprise us. Top 5, maybe. Winner? Unlikely (but there was that presence that made me think she still could)
    (Top 3) Widow Von'Du. A big gurl, who can turn looks, EMBRACE her shape, dance, make me laugh. She's a strong contendor. Top 5? Definitely. Winner? Possibly.
    (Winner) Gigi Goode. My favourite so far. Her looks were sooooooo good. Look queen of the season. Her rap was great, her lipsync VERY unique and bold. Of these seven I think she's the strongest contender due to her variety of skills. Top 5? Definitely. Winner? Possibly. Strongest chance of these 7 so far.

Anyone agree or disagree in these assessments. Do you think I'm sleeping on anyway?

FASHION PHOTO RuVIEW [Promo Looks]

I disagree with the Top Toot, but I love hearing Raja and Raven's thoughts on any subject of fashion.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-10-2020 at 05:59 AM.

THE PIT STOP w. BOB THE DRAG QUEEN [ep#1 feat. Sasha Valour]

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Hey, cutie!
    I mean... ahem...
    HA! Thank-you. If you're very good I'll post my shirtless modeling shot some day

I, too, enjoyed the premier episode.
    I thought I'd hate Minaj but she was a good judge.
    I don't know much about music, why did you think you'd hate Nicky Minaj? I thought she was the best 1st episode diva since Lady Gaga (Christina really wasn't very interesting). I did cringgggggge a little when Nicky started saying "well I'm a rapper" to Michelle Visage. Awwwwkward, she is too.

Switching things up and making it look like Helmet Girl and Black Widow were in the bottom was nicely done.
    Agreed. LOVE a twist.

How is Brita NOT a black man?!?! I was SO confused when I saw him out of drag on Youtube!
    Huh? Oh ALSO!!!! Okay, just found out today. You know how "Not Kim K" was Kimora Black? Did you know "Not Kanye West" WAS MAYHEM MILLER?!!?!?!?!?!

5 different fashions in 1 episode? Fashion Photo Ruview is going to be LIT!
    It'll have to be two parts. It's way too much fashion, the entrance looks alone take up all their time.

The fashion show, the writing and dance challenge? This one pulled out some of the big challenges in the first episode.
    I loved it. Hit the ground running, and now I feel I know each queen so much better than any other ep1 in her-story.

2 'premier' episodes? I think the queens in the second episode are going to be disadvantaged. 1 less episode of screen time, 1 less episode for the audience to know them.
    I assume it won't be the same challenge, but it will be a mulit-faceted challenge like this one (and the other 7 won't compete). This has to mean Ru will do at-least two double eliminations. I will feel bad if they don't get a "non-elimination" too. But... maybe they don't all smash it? I will say this group... no-one was terrible.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-11-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Brita even pointed out during the episode that people expect him to be black out of drag but he's actually of Pacific origin. Same with me after the cast reveal when I saw photos of him out of drag beside photos of him in drag.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Brita even pointed out during the episode that people expect him to be black out of drag but he's actually of Pacific origin. Same with me after the cast reveal when I saw photos of him out of drag beside photos of him in drag.
    Ohhhhh yes, now I get ya. So glad we have a Pacific Rim queen. LOVED his personality, he had me cackling, but I was so let down by his looks. BUT listening to the Pit Stop I now (at-least) appreciate there was a narrative to his Spring/Fall looks, and he deserves kudos for that. If only the dress underneath the oil spill was toule it would have be conveyed so much better. Hopefully he slays an acting challenge.

I'm doing my RuView now, but I'll first talk about this controversy. There's nothing we can do about the show featuring Sherry Pie, it was filmed months before this broke as a story, but basically I will not be talking about her in my RuViews. She's been disqualified, she will not win, and probably will not have a career after, so how she does in the show and her stats do not matter to anyone. If she wins 4 challenges, if she she has the best score card, it does not matter. She is not winning. (though it will sadly taint the season, probably, esp. if she sends anyone home in a lipsync... but there's not much we can do about it, so let's move on).

DO NOT SEND THIS QUEEN DEATH THREATS!

She's cancelled, she admitted it, her career is over. End. Of. Leave her alone to disappear into obscurity where she belongs.

Sherry Pie Disqualified After Admitting to Catfishing
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/rup...ng-1203526424/

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” has taken the almost unprecedented step of disqualifying one of the contestants who is set to appear this season.

Sherry Pie has been kicked off the show after admitting to catfishing allegations made by several young actors. In one Facebook post by Ben Shimkus on Wednesday, Sherry Pie is accused of having posed under the pseudonym of Allison Mossey and asked Shimkus to “film scenes that felt particularly sexual” for an audition. Later, having sent the tape to Mossey, Shimkus never heard from 'her' again.

On Thursday, BuzzFeed News published a report featuring interviews with Shimkus and four other men who reported strikingly similar experiences. One man said he agreed to allow Sherry Pie to film him masturbating, with the understanding that it was part of the audition process for an HBO series (that did not exist).

“In light of recent developments and Sherry Pie’s statement, Sherry Pie has been disqualified from ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race,'” confirmed a statement from VH1 and the show’s producer World of Wonder. “Out of respect for the hard work of the other queens, VH1 will air the season as planned. Sherry will not appear in the grand finale scheduled to be filmed later this spring.”

RuVIEW [EPISODE 2] (PART I)
    Ru's Big Opening: THE SHE-QUEL!!! The first seven queens return to the werk room, all excited about the non-elimination and try to re-group only for Ru to appear on the TV and tells them to get ready "Leave a message on the mirror... and they'll get back to you as soon as they can." Time for the entrances...
    #weDONEalreadyDONEhadOURSES

Rock M. Sakura. I like the look, I don't love it. It's a little pink Sailor Moon, which is fine but I wish he had gone all the way with that school-girl manga idea. The personality was waaaaay too try hard. I just felt like I was getting a low-budget Kim Chi.
    "Just" Jan. Cheryl Hole just walks in the roo- oh? That's not Cheryl? He's cute as hell, though. But that look, for your entrance? Basic, B*tch!
    Jaida Essence Hall. Lineysha Sparx and Trinity K. Bonet's love child. The look is sophisticated, the colour is beautiful. It's Angela Basset realness. Her lipsyncing to Jan's high notes was super fun. I can dig it.
    Aiden Zhane. Love the look, HATE the hair and make-up. It's boy. It looks like it belongs in Frankenweenie (2012) or Tim Burton's "Vincent". It's Pugsley Addams and I do not approve! And the personality, eeeek! He's quite defensive and a little off-putting, but I feel a lot of hurt there. I hope he has a thick skin...
    ENTRANCE TROPHY: Dahlia Sin. I love the frayed denim look, very Project Runway go-to; and the attitude is working for me. I totally see Aja in his drag daughter. It's fierce, and the side-eye she gives is so fun. She is judging every single one of them, and I'm here for it.

(MAXI) Mini Challenge (with wings): LOVE Ru's entrance look, come through neon-head-scarf! As for the mini-challenge... Oh. Well this was disappointing. I was really hoping for a photo-shoot with two looks to keep it similar but not the same, or a different twist on this runway; AT-LEAST doing a "Summer/Winter" to shift-it-up. What a shame. I clocked Kim Chi instantly as 'NOT Anna Sui' and I think with that jawline Scarlet Envy is 'NOT Karl Lagerfeld' (my husband swears it's Sonique). No idea who was 'NOT Andrea Leon Talent'??? But does it matter? Why bother having them if you don't let them talk? Alaska's Anne Wintour stole it with her comments. What was the point of a guest-panel of 5 guests (including Raven and ACTUAL Zaldy) if you don't let them speak?

Spring 2020
    Rock M. Sakura. It's very cute and the colours are super fun. It's quite predicable though and I think it needed a splash of colour inside the lining. A bright sheet of pale yellow would have made this outfit sing.
    Dahlia Sin. Yaaas bitch! This is so wrong, it's right. Bright orange hair with neon fabric is always a winning combo (and is that latex?). The yellow earrings, the silver jewelry, the pastel pink nails. It's all so well thought out. IF I had a critique; I'd want a slightly smaller ruffles on the bottom of the skirt, as the centre piece is the shoulders. But it's still gorgeous.
    Jan. There's a lot to enjoy, but... something isn't working. I like all the different components, I'm just not sure they 'go' together.
    Jaida Essence Hall. The idea is heaven. But the execution is missing something. Widow von'Du did a similar idea for her Fall look last episode, but knew how to take it to that extra level with the shape.
    Aiden Zhane. Another strong concept let down by design. That yellow dress is SO basic. Take away all the extra stuff, I wanna know it's still a fierce outfit. And it could not be more boring. I need lace on the bottom, and the arms, a ruffle on the neck. A big, thick blue necklace with a white watering can in the middle. Pity. The idea is a 10.

Fall 2020
    Rock M. Sakura. The make-up doesn't work with this look. The elements are nice, love the hat and silhouette (and those red boots are stomping the runway). But it's not a show-stopper; it's merely very nice.
    Jan. She's just so nervous. The crocodile skin works with that hair, but the opening of the jacket and the overall shape felt unfinished. She's not popping.
    Jaida Essence Hall. It's nice. It's just has one too many components and textures.
    Aiden Zhane. Oh, bless. Again the idea is fun, but the detail is missing. The neckline, the disconnect of the colour in the panties. It literally looks like her skirt fell off just before she walked on the runway and she just kept going. It just feels sloppy.
    FASHION SHOW TROPHY:Dahlia Sin I'll remember this black yeti goodness! It's wrong... BUT RIGHT! The spit-curls are what make it; and the see-through fabric between the fur. A unique look! And we're in season 12, that's not easy to do. Can't wait to see the fan art of this one! That said I'm only giving one overall trophy this time, as I felt there weren't enough overall iconic looks to merit two awards. Dahlia definitely won this though!

Now to the main event: a Fosse inspired dance of "You Don't... Noami!" where the queens have to write the lyrics and do the choreography! Thank god it's not a rap, at-least the producers added a little creativity with this episode. It's another busy episode, and I love getting to know these queens better; and it wouldn't be fair to not give this batch the same opportunity, but it just feels less... "jaw dropping." Like last episode, the choreography period was a bit of a car-crash, but they pulled it together in the end. And I have to say I'm not happy how the ONLY Fosse reference we got was "Chicago". What about Cabaret (1974)? THAT HE WON THE OSCAR FOR BEST DIRECTOR FOR!!!! What about Sweet Charity (1969)? All That Jazz (1979)? The Pajama Game (1957)? Damn Yankees (1955)? Or Pippin'! Damn Pippin'! These queens need a Her-story lesson!

MAIN CHALLENGE: YOU DON'T... KNOW ME!
    Aiden Zhane. In group moments he is very nervous, and it shows. I LOVED his lyrics, but... he sounds like a man. There was no illusion. This boy drag is really throwing me off; I hate that pussycat wig, it does nothing for him. Very Fosse though, super happy with his outfit (minus the hair and make-up), and the sheer gloves were everrrrrything!
    Dahlia Sin. Probably the weakest, WHICH SHOOOOOOKETH ME! The voice, meh. The lyrics meh (and, as it turns out, false too) and the outfit... what happened to my lewk queen?
    Jaida Essence Hall. I liked her serving a black Velma Kelly. But both her spoken word voice and her moves all felt a little forced. And I clocked the stole line from Hairspray - "Let me show you how your mommy dear took out the competition!"
    Jan. She is THE WINNER... of a different challenge. Had this been a Stephen Sondheim re-working she would be in the top; but it wasn't. So she isn't. She looked so different during the number though, credit to her, versatility is important and impressive.
    FOSSE TROPHY:Rock M. Sakura. THIS WAS HILARIOUS! The wise-guy voice at the start, understanding when to drop the voice and slip into self-deprecating comedy, those moves, the fart, the look actually worked with the make-up this time... everything about this was a RuDemption. I would have NEVER guessed she could do this at the state of the episode, and I was over-the-moon.

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-10-2020 at 04:42 AM.

PART II
    Like last week, so much happened we needed to split this into two parts for a review (fitting, as it was a two-part opening)

CATEGORY IS... TULLE
    Aiden Zhane. Tulle can be for pretty girls! This is so fun, the sheer mixed with the tulle, that purple wig against lime green, it was gorgeous.
    Dahlia Sin. I liked this, didn't love it. And the side-silouette ruined it. Red is too predictable for her, I want surprises.
    Jan. I love this idea, LOVE IT! It didn't work. It was most of the way there, but too much of the utility belt and the lining through off the effect.
    Rock M. Sakura. Now THIS is a tulle cupcake! A tulle fairy cupcake princess. The colour combo reminds me of Raja's hair look and the silouette is Kim Chi at the finale; and the use of the white corset was a good way to break up the colossal abundance of tulle.
    TULLE TROPHY: Jaida Essence Hall. This is beautiful! The pops of yellow under the tulle, the shape but with a slit for variety, and (as Ross says) the pink nails just make it. She also is the only one using two different ways of depicting tulle with that feather bustie in tulle. A truly lovely runway look AND she made it herself! Crafty queen!

Thoughts: Meh. This group of queens aren't as impressive, and the whole episode felt like a pale imitation of last week. I wanted more. I know that's greedy but I wanted more. More surprises, more originality. THANK GOD for Fosse, otherwise this would have been a total dud. I enjoyed Sakura, I'm intrigued by Aiden. But so much felt... weak. I know it's only episode one (two) and I didn't necessarily LOVE every queen after one episode. But if it's a challenge next week of old school vs new school, this group is in danger! The personality and joy from last week is lacking here, as are the looks. And as for the "confessional mirror of sadness"... I respect Sakura's story but... episode 1, gurl? It's a little soon for "my meth addicted mother destroyed my childhood". Save that for week five or six.

Now Ru's Runway was a vast improvement over last weeks. I loved the Bam Bam elements, and the wind-swept effect (reminded me of Sugah's organic runway); and I enjoy seeing her legs, but I prefer them as a treat, rather than an every runway event. Much like his hats in season 8. One hat is great, every weak is a problem. I didn't get much from the judges this weak, even though I loveeeeeee Thandie Newton, I wish she'd been on an acting challenge critique instead. I did like the song "You Don't kNow Me", I believed it was a Fosse song and I loved the show continuing the educate about gay culture (even IF most of the queens have only heard of Chicago). But that part of the episode I was most excited for was the Tulle. Tulle gets a bad rep, and the last two seasons the first queen went home wrapped in tulle (Vanjie then Soju), so I'm THRILLED that tulle got a RuDemption. But I didn't agree with the end result. I do not think the Top 2 was right; in-fact I didn't agree with doing a 'Top 2'. Last week they all, as a group, slayyyyyyyed! Even the "weakest" last week was stronger than most this week. I don't think it deserved the same treatment (they didn't all bring it to the runway, they didn't all shine in the choreography and I felt it should have been a standard lipsync elimination episode, as it wasn't worthy of a $5,000 accolade this episode. In my heart the 'Top 3' were Aiden, Jaiden and Sakura (who should have won the episode, based on the combo of mini-challenge being polished and smashing it in the main challenge). And the bottom two were Dahli and Jan. And Jan should have gone home, because she is the post-child filler queen right now. Nothing about her impressed me except her being cute as a boy. That is not a talent!

THE LIPSYNC
    I liked what Jaiden did, and it was nice to see she can be both playful, funny and able to improvise during a lipsync. Wasn't expecting that. But I still didn't think it was anything special; and will not be remembered in years to come. It gets no trophy.

OVERALL
    A weaker opening, and a weaker group of queens. I understand they need to get a fair shot, so it can't be as simple as ordinary openings, but I wish there had been more variety. I was thoroughly underwhelmed; if this group gets picked off one-by-one until the Top 7 are last weeks girls... I wouldn't say I would be shocked.
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-10-2020 at 04:42 AM.