View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aiden Zhane

0 0%
  • Brita

0 0%
  • Crystal Methyd

0 0%
  • Dahlia Sin

0 0%
  • Gigi Goode

1 20.00%
  • Heidi N Closet

0 0%
  • Jackie Cox

1 20.00%
  • Jaida Essence Hall

0 0%
  • Jan

2 40.00%
  • Nicky Doll

0 0%
  • Rock M. Sakura

0 0%
  • Sherry Pie

0 0%
  • Widow Von'Du

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

FAN ART SUNDAY!!!! Normally I post three different artists, but this whole post is dedicated to this wonderful guy. I love that ALL THREE of his pieces are so different in tone and style (plus he's cute, which helps, ha!)

CONNOR JAMES
    https://www.instagram.com/another_con_artist/

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    3 - Gigi Good
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Jaida Essence Hall

The Glittered Raspberry
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2

As with the last group, I thought I'd give a little "initial reaction" assessment to the other 5 queens, and guess their placement (roughly). More for my own amusement to see how good I do in guessing the quality of a queen on the show. NORMALLY this wouldn't be possible after just one(two) episode(s), but so much was required, so many different skills were at play... I think we have a much better idea of these queens than on any other opening episode(s).

(won't last long) Jan. She is just giving me Cheryl Hole vibes. Good personality, but knowing the show and being good at the show is not the same thing. So far she seems rather basic; and not able to shine within the confines of what is required by the challenges. I'm not seeing the talent it takes to last.
    (midway) Dahlia Sin. Looks were great, but I was so surprised to see her confidence fail. I don't think she's a bad b*tch, not deep down, and if you can't be honest with yourself you'll never win. I have a gut feeling she'll sell a lipsync, so last a bit. But she's not a winner.
    (midway) Rock M. Sakura. She surprised me, and the personality is great. More likely to win Miss Congeniality than the crown.
    (midway/Top 5) Aiden Zhane. I... I didn't NOT like him (hated a lot of his looks) but I have a gut feeling he is a dark horse. I saw a glimmer in him of a very talented queen! Oddly I think he could make Top 5.
    (midway/Top 5) Jaida Essence Hall. I don't see a winner. Not yet. She SURPRISED me with that lipsync, and I think she'll definitely make Top 6, maybe to the finale, but I don't see a winner... yet. But the jury is still out. She could surprise me.

I wonder what criteria they used to split the girls up into two different premieres? The first batch were excellent. Such a strong start! And then came week 2...In the word's of Mama Ru herself, "meh".

Kieran, I am surprised you have Jan ranked the lowest. To me, she was the best of the bunch!

THE PIT STOP w. BOB THE DRAG QUEEN [ep#2 feat. Peppermint]

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I wonder what criteria they used to split the girls up into two different premieres? The first batch were excellent. Such a strong start! And then came week 2...In the word's of Mama Ru herself, "meh".
    I wondered that too. In season 6 it seemed a pretty even split (Ben and Adore on one opening / Bianca and Courtney on another); but this time I felt the first seven queens... could honestly be THE FINAL seven queens. Mayyyyyybe swap Crystal and Jaida.

Kieran, I am surprised you have Jan ranked the lowest. To me, she was the best of the bunch!
    I think, for me, it wasn't that I didn't like her personality, but I didn't see ANYTHING special. She was literally giving me Cheryl Hole vibes. And she made some big mistakes that I see as an indicator they won't be able to go to the end.
    - entrance look was not only uninspiring, it was built around a quote someone said who has nothing to do with Drag Race. BASKETBALL!?!?! In Drag? Just bizarre.
    - she's a musical theatre person who gave us Sondheim when we asked for Fosse
    - she carted out every trick in her wheel house, when it wasn't necessary. It felt too desperate. Know you own worth.
    - none of her outfits (and she had 5) inspired me. If you don't slay a runway, you'll never win a challenge, and therefore become expendable (Monique, Monet). And if you don't know who you are, you can't deliver concepts. I saw more of Aiden in her runways, even if I hated them.

Jan is... I don't know. I'm seeing a lot of effort, a sweet personality, but no connector. The same queen who enters in a basketball jacket doesn't wear this giant crocodile dress, and then wear a workman outfit for tulle, and yet look like a glamazon in the promo photo. It's just not lining up. When I think of Jackie Cox, I see the same person wearing each of those looks; it's all period, referential goodness. Widow Von'Du is very much about crazy, accent proportions. Gigi is fashion forward. Nicky is high fashion. Jan is... mismatching.

Entertainment Weekly Ranks All 12 Queens Runway Looks
    https://ew.com/tv/ranking-drag-race-...4-f641e06157db

I don't agree with his assessments, at-all. Nicky just holding the mask instantly makes it unworthy of 1st place. And yeah, I'll say it, he chucks three black queens at the bottom. Interesting...

1. Nicky Hall
    2. Rock M Sakura
    3. Jaida Essence Hall
    4. Jan
    5. Gigi Goode
    6. Aiden Zane
    7. Dahli Sin
    8. Jackie Cox
    9. Crystal Methoyd
    10. Widow Von'Du
    11. Brita
    12. Heidi N Closet

There is so much good fan-art right now!!! Sorry, sorry if this is boring to you guys. I'm just such a visual person, I love seeing the interpretations of various artists. I had to spot light this gem, all three looks are great; but the Widow Von'Du image!!! That's one of the best pieces of fan art EVER!!! It's all high-art anime influence, and I love it.

LEOSHKI
    https://www.instagram.com/leoshki/

Last ones... these three really capture the spirit of Season 12 so far; and I LIVE!

ART BY CHEYNE
    https://www.instagram.com/artbycheyne/

HOUSE OF JBG
    https://www.instagram.com/houseof_jbg/

BIBARTIS
    https://www.instagram.com/bibartis/

RuVIEW [EPISODE 3]
    We kick off just after "MEH!" (the She-Quel!) The clap-backs are so much fun. Jaida's "We got here just on time" and Gigi's "Name Something!" were the fiercest responses. And Gigi's hair... my goodness, it's like butter. Living for Widow's red dreadlocks too. The Top 7 win this round!

It's a new day in the work room; and the winners must play "Top or Bottom" which they previously did on Drag Race UK. I felt this was a little unfair as a peer review, because the queens hadn't actually seen the other team's work (unlike The Vivienne, who had seen her competitors perform already). That said... neither Aiden or Heidi give me fierce vibes, so I can't massively disagree.

WORLD'S WORST
    "Squ-irrrrrl Scouts"
    I do feel this was the hardest of the four assigned groups, it gave less instant joy. Unless you go Troop Beverly Hills (1989). If the judging was based on teams, this would be the lowest scoring group. Widow did the best and even then, it was just okay. And I agree with Michelle, Crystal's make-up for this challenge...

"Fruity Patooties"
    Of the four, this was EASILY the best scene on paper... and what a disappointment. What a missed opportunity. I wasn't impressed by anyone. And while I intellectually understand that the 'bad apple' could steal the scene with a late-in-the-game appearance (think Asia's Sarah Palin or Nina Bonina Brrr- I mean Shea's Blac Chyna)... I think they all missed a trick. To me 'broccoli' was the best role in terms of potential. Playing the dullest, least interesting fruit that isn't even a fruit is a GIFT in a comedy scene. All a mess.

"Three Girls, One Brain"
    I think this was very funny. I don't think Aiden was noticeably better or worse than the other two personally (despite what they said when getting ready); and the best moment was how they all responded "choooooocolatttttEEEEE!" when asked their favourite ice-cream. HA! A very funny group.

GROUP TROPHY: "the DelRio Triplets". The concept was wonderful and all three delivered! This was so much fun; Heidi was hilarious, Jackie Cox's stole it and Gigi!!! GIGI! It's not easy being that funny playing dead, very Weekend at Bernie's (1989). And the addition of her deep, manly voice was hilarious. Easily the strongest group; and the best moment of the whole episode was these old women slowwwwwwwly getting into the Charlie's Angels pose. BWAHAHAHA! My ONLY critique... why didn't they all do Bianca's harsh make-up; or wore wigs like hers?

CATEGORY IS... BUTTONS & BOWS
    Rock M. Sakura. I loved this; despite being an 'obvious' reference, it's one I've not seen on the main-stage before. The way Sakura elongated the hair, and the addition of bows... it was a really great look.
    Jan. F*CK ME! The giant headgear Oogie Boogie/voodoo doll face was SO GOOD!! I really did enjoy this look, though it lost something when the mask was removed. Regardless, it was very unique and just so unexpected for Jan. Kudos.
    Widow Von'Du. Clown couture, in the best possible way. Again playing with shapes, this just made me smile buckets.

BOTTOMS
    Crystal Methyd. RUBBISH! This is terrible, it's awful, where is the creativity, where is the shape, are there even buttons??? Just the worst = GLITTERED RASPBERRY!!!
    Nicky Doll. I like the idea; it was giving me Valentina's 'curves and swerves' mannequin... but it just didn't work like Valentina's. The skirt feels disconnected, the fabric hangs in an unflattering way; and while I loved the button hair it was so polished it contrasted too much with the half-made idea of the dress. It's a fail.
    Aiden Zhane. BORING! It's a pink dress with ten bows! Aiden needs to up his runway game, this is yet another poor effort.

RUNWAY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. On the surface, while stunning, it's not necessarily the most creative. She just coated a bodysuit in 25,000 orange buttons. What makes it breathtaking is the cut of the dress. Is the choice to have 1950s travel bags AND THEN cover them in buttons too. The gloves, buttoned. The glasses, buttoned. And to pair it with an orange wig. It reminded me of Roxxxy Andrews, the way she styled the outfit elevated it far beyond what most other queens could, and Gigi has that same magical gift. Perfection.

THOUGHTS: We begin with a disclaimer; and I think it's the right move. Much like the ones that now play before Tom & Jerry, it's apt and fitting to not deny the reality of humanity, while still depicting it's many facets (including when bad people do well at things). Now to more fun things: JASON'S BACK!!! His smile just fills me with joy. Jason IS the Pit Crew; he's been there since season 3, and is the longest serving member (and has appeared in the most seasons). He's iconic, just like Michelle Visage.
    WORK RU. I liked the green shoes best; but the floral print seemed disjointed somehow?
    Sakura was super cute when she was picked last, I do love that positive energy. Through the whole episode he made me chuckle. Just a sweet, sweet guy. And those thighs... right up there with Jackie's ass for thirst this episode. Aiden... disappointed me. I felt he had that killer streak deep down, and I do like his confessionals but he didn't step up to the plate. So maybe he's not the silent ninja of drag I suspected. The actual challenge is super fun, Carson was a hoot as the 'Ant n' Dec' host; and I loved the 'Tuckaho' reference! The panel: Bossy Ross's back (meh!), Charo! This is the most fun I've had with her on this show, she's bloody funny (and very quick with comebacks). And while I livvvvvvved for Ornacia, I think the voice-over was less successful. The brilliance of Ornacia is: she's too haughty to talk, she silently judges you. That's her gift.
    RU-WAY! Meh! I like the Shanna the She-Devil idea, but I want flowy dresses again, legs are fun but not every other runway.
    I love Olivia Munn from the Newsroom (and she was great as Psylocke too); so I was thrilled to see her on the panel. Her speech to Crystal was uplifting and organically delivered. So heartwarming; like Kristin Chenoweth's "remember who you are" monologue to Trixie in All Stars 3 #allthefeels. The critiques were by-and-large fair. I heavily DISAGREE with the bottom two though. It should have been Crystal! Dahlia deserved to go home for that lipsync, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place. Crystal's runway was the weakest (Dahlia's the best of the bottom three); and the team that misfired hardest was Crystal and Nicky. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Dahlia stan (though I'd totally f*ck her, and her twin brother); but I have a giant pet peeve about team challenges not being judged as teams. Dahlia is a look queen, Crystal a comedy queen, why was Crystal not in the bottom???

LIPSYNC
    It's a shame. Ariana Grande has produced some iconic lipsyncs in this show... this was not one of them. And personally I don't care Dahlia walked off; she was clearly hurting. She shouldn't have been first eliminated, that's bullsh*t; so I get that she was mad (and embarrassed too, and that makes me sad.

OVERALL
    A very enjoyable episode, with a super fun challenge. Ever since they introduced the improv challenge in All Stars 3 (ep#3 - the B*tchelor) it's become a staple of the series, and I'm so happy. My opinions of the queens haven't massively changed, the ones I already liked stay impressive, the ones I think little of fade even more. A killer runway and some delightful personalities (on both the panel and from the main stage) make this a very wonderful episode.
    ~ rating: ★★★★☆ [grade: B+]

"To the beat of the rhythm of the night
    Dance until the morning light
    Forget about the worries on your mind
    You can leave them all behind
    To the beat of the rhythm of the night
    Oh the rhythm of the night, oh yeah."

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-17-2020 at 04:55 PM.

Oh PLEASE the right queen went home.

And what's with all the insecure crybabies? Send all these sad clowns home and give me more wacky black girls.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Hello Kieran_Frost,

First things first (and off-topic, so apologies) you and your husband are a cute couple! So adorable!

Ok, back to the topic at hand.

I had to pick my fave as winner (must give positive thoughts) so I voted for Jackie Cox. She's funny, talented, and smart.

I have to agree with comments posted here, that the first six queens were great, and the second six queens really didn't do anything for me. I'm hoping that the first six go far.

As for the whole Sherry Pie scandal, such a waste, because she appears to be a great talent. I will say I agree with the decision to still air the season, the other queens worked hard to get to this show, and are working hard to stay on it, so I completely understand airing it. That being said, every time I see SP, I want to cringe.

As for the first bottom three, I agree with all three being in the bottom, and I agree with the queen that went home.

THE PIT STOP w. BOB THE DRAG QUEEN [ep#3 feat. Thorgy Thor]

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Oh PLEASE the right queen went home.
    The right queen in the lipsync went home, but she shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    And what's with all the insecure crybabies? Send all these sad clowns home.
    Beside Sakura... who's crying???

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Hello Kieran_Frost,
    First things first (and off-topic, so apologies) you and your husband are a cute couple! So adorable!

I had to pick my fave as winner (must give positive thoughts) so I voted for Jackie Cox. She's funny, talented, and smart.
    I'm waiting one more week to pick... besides Jinx... by episode 4 we have our winner. So it's either Widow, Jaida or whoever wins episode 4 (and if it's Gigi, I'm picking Gigi).

I have to agree with comments posted here, that the first six queens were great, and the second six queens really didn't do anything for me. I'm hoping that the first six go far.
    Of the second 5, the only one that impressed me as an actual contender was Jaida.

As for the whole Sherry Pie scandal, such a waste, because she appears to be a great talent. I will say I agree with the decision to still air the season, the other queens worked hard to get to this show, and are working hard to stay on it, so I completely understand airing it. That being said, every time I see SP, I want to cringe.
    Agreed. My BIGGEST concern... what if she's statistically the best, come the last competitive episode? Right now she's the front-runner. She was Top 2, and won ep3. No-one has a better record to date. Take season 5, the front runners were Roxxy, Jinx and Alaska (as each one, at one point, had the best stats). As a side note, a front-runner who does NOT get enough respect is Max! She was the first to two, and before her elimination had the best stats of any queen there.

As for the first bottom three, I agree with all three being in the bottom, and I agree with the queen that went home.
    I mostly agree with the bottom three, yes (though I'd do it on teams, so I'd have put "Squirrel Scouts" as the three bottoms, but I fully understand why Dahlia was there). But WHY when Crystal was critiques for her performance AND her look and the others weren't... why did she avoid the bottom?
    And she's a comedy queen, she failed harder. WFT?

CLARA
    https://www.instagram.com/clarasolive/
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-17-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

How long are we expected to use spoiler tags after the episode has aired?

Also, I think I play "I'm that Bitch" at least 5 times a day. Has to be my favorite Ru cover they've done throughout the entire series. GiGi & Widow's lyrics were AMAZING!

How long are we expected to use spoiler tags after the episode has aired?
    [AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    5 - Gigi Good
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Jaida Essence Hall / Jackie Cox / Heidi N' Closet

The Glittered Raspberry
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2
    Crystal Methyd - ep3

I'm also quite pleased that in my assessment after ep 1/2 I had both Dahlia, Crystal and Nicky as "low/won't last long". So yey! I'm so far right. HA!

Also, I think I play "I'm that Bitch" at least 5 times a day. Has to be my favorite Ru cover they've done throughout the entire series. GiGi & Widow's lyrics were AMAZING!
    It was fantastic, though I still think the Frock Destroyers has the best single song created on the show.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-17-2020 at 04:56 PM.

What is everyone's favorite RuPaul song?

I love "Glamazon" & "Champion", and from her second CD, "Snapshot".