View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aiden Zhane

0 0%
  • Brita

0 0%
  • Crystal Methyd

0 0%
  • Dahlia Sin

0 0%
  • Gigi Goode

1 20.00%
  • Heidi N Closet

0 0%
  • Jackie Cox

1 20.00%
  • Jaida Essence Hall

0 0%
  • Jan

2 40.00%
  • Nicky Doll

0 0%
  • Rock M. Sakura

0 0%
  • Sherry Pie

0 0%
  • Widow Von'Du

1 20.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    What is everyone's favorite RuPaul song?

I love "Glamazon" & "Champion", and from her second CD, "Snapshot".
    I love "Sissy That Walk" and "Call Me Mother"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAN ART TIME!!! Firstly... three moments from the episode that really left their mark...

JOAO VICTOR MATHIELO
    https://www.instagram.com/jvmathi/

MARIT
    https://www.instagram.com/maritoniee/

NATHAN RICHARDS
    https://www.instagram.com/paperwombat/
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

And now the runway fan art... BUT FIRST... Widow is not getting half the fan art love the other queens are, and it's p*ssing me off a little!

SIMPLE DOODLES
    https://www.instagram.com/notanprieto/

MARIT
    https://www.instagram.com/maritoniee/

PASTELS
    https://www.instagram.com/pastel__queens/
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Default Fashion Photo RUVIEW!!!! [episode 3]

FASHION PHOTO RuVIEW [Episode 4]

Am I crazy about Crystal??? I thought her look was so, SO ugly, and it got two toots???

My
    God

Leslie Jones is having all the fun.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    My God

Leslie Jones is having all the fun.
    LOL

I really enjoyed watching her on this show! She was so into it!

RuVIEW [EPISODE 4]
    The first elimination has just happened, and so naturally the queens are all a little shooketh; things just got real. Nicky is naturally determined to fight for her spot going forward. Aiden... is oddly cocky and even a little bitter. I used to feel his self-assuredness was hinting at a lot more underneath, but now I'm thinking he's more Scardey Kat (talking like he's the next big thing, because ultimately he's just a filler b*tch). Brita's personality is now... losing it's sparkle. I love a confident queen, but you gotta back up that confidence with results. And so far it's all hot air. And like Brita, Jan is listing off all the reasons why she should be in the top, but... look it's uncomfortable. There are a lot of "I am, I am" and very few receipts. STEP UP YOUR P*SSY, LADIES!

It's a new day in the work room; and it's time for our this season's premier mini-challenge... but first let's hear Brita compliment herself some more with a delusional dream she's going to win the season.

MINI-CHALLENGE: BEE HIVE JIVE
    Inspired by Manilla Luzon's hair-ball and the AS4's "Club Beehive" it's time to shake your Bee-hind. I always enjoy the show using its platform to inform you of important issues in a subversive way, so I was all here for this message. And changing the lyrics of RuPaul's "Freaky Money" (feat. Big Freedia) to "Honey, Honey, Honey, Honey!" was HILARIOUS!!! Aiden's make-up is cute, I do like a queen thinking outside the box. Rock M's "why are you killing the bees" make me chuckle, and what was that leap into a split??? Nicky looked great but danced badly.
    MINI TROPHY: It was between Gigi and Heidi. Gigi looked the best, and that cart-wheel was so unexpected, I loved it (but it looked liked she accidentally dropped to the floor after, rather than an intentional shablam). Heidi had great moves and versatility but her look was A MESS! I do love her personality though. So for me it was a tie.

CATEGORY IS... LADY BALLER (didn't understand this until the runway... now I get it)
    Heidi N' Closet. Lady golfer... the attitude was A TEN! The outfit was quite basic but she sold the sh*t out of it on the runway. Question: are those the same earrings from episode one? (just checked, NO; the same make and style but not the same ones, unless she's glued new accessories to them)
    Jaida Essence Hall. LOVE the idea, but she needed bigger t*ts. I know basketball ladies don't have large breasts, due to the excessive cardio but it was giving me 'boy'. And the necklace I'm undecided about. On the one hand I like it, on the other no-one plays in jewelry.
    Jan. This is how you embody a sports ball; it's very gladiator, and the black/white striped hair is a fun touch. I don't love it, but the concept came into realisation successfully. And football skills in heels. NOICE!
    BOTTOM
    Aiden Zhane. It's a white dress with brown lines attached to it. While I like the reference, this is SLOPPY! It doesn't fit. Minimalism only works if it fits beautifully. And she didn't cover her tattoos!!! You wanna be vintage, COVER THAT SH*T UP!
    Brita. The IDEA of a personified baseball is heaven. The execution wasn't great, it just didn't work (and pulling out the ball was gross, it's no Sharon Needles blood bomb). Also the outfit needed ironing.
    Widow Von'Du. The idea is glorious, and I love that fabric... but a polo player without his mallet is just a horse-rider. This was a fail. There was no "lady baller", merely "Downton Abbey". I understand with the horse it's hard to carry both... so if you can't do it, pick a different look. Also the cut and the ruffles gave me more man vibes than wo-man-ah. THAT SAID I love how she is accenting her shape continuously, with gigantic collars and pads.
    LADY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. The moment I saw this I screamed "YOU BETTA WERK, HEATHERRRRRR!" It's so perfect, so polished, so creative AND IT'S REFERENTIAL!!! Ticking all the boxes. The plaid with the white stockings and the short cut dress looked so good on her body, but the fact it's also a reference to "the Heathers" of season 3 is GENIUS! Best outfit of the night, bar none.

CATEGORY IS... BASKETBALL WIFE, HE OWNS EVERYTHING
    To quote RuPaul...

I just didn't like this category, it felt like we were back at Season 1-3, where all you did was "wear a pretty dress". It seemed the cheaper, b*tchier, and petty-er you looked, the better. And I just wasn't excited by anyone. Jackie Cox, Rock M. Sakura, Jaida Essence Hall, Heidi N Closet and Gigi did the brief, but none of them made me smile me. Ironically the only look that worked was 'She Who Must Not Be Named.'

CATEGORY IS... BALLS TO THE WALL ELEGANZA
    Gigi Goode. Oh. I mean I do like it, it's very pretty. But... I expected more. And the balls on the underwear... weren't to my taste. It's still so well constructed and it looks great. But... I had such high expectations. It's possibly my least favourite of all her runway looks this season? But she's set such a high bar, maybe I'm biased?
    Rock M Sakura. I liked it, personally. Yes I didn't like that the hoop didn't flow or move nicely, it needed fabric over it, but I did like the concept. It's was crazy, but fun. Very anime punk.
    Widow Von'Du. It's so wrong, it's right. It was giving me crochet fish-net/sock draw realness. Love the colour pallet, LOVE IT!
    BOTTOM
    Aiden Zhane. AWFUL! Horrible. LAZY! It's not Betty Page, Betty Page was always classy. This looked like a cheap skank [GLITTERED RASPBERRY]
    Brita. It's just so cheap, and the green bodice is too big for a pineapple. Why is Manila being scalped this episode? We all know of her iconic pineapple dress, WHY would anyone try and replicate it??? When they can't do it half as good?
    Nicky Doll. She basically made Yvie's dress from the organic challenge; and mixed in Roxxxy's liquorish dress silhouette. It felt lazy, esp. from a "lewk queen". And that hair was horrible, it looks so cheap.
    BALLS TROPHY: Jaida Essence Hall. The idea behind this makes my mouth water, and I instantly got the story. It is a RICH B*TCH in her bubble bath, with jewels. So clever, so clear what she was going for, it was just stunning. The silver jewels with a blue diamond, but a gold headband... smart cookie. This is what Monet WISHED had be conveyed with her sponge dress story. Jaida really looked like a woman, I actually forgot for a second she wasn't.

LIPSYNC
    It was a death sentence the moment Rock M. got caught up trying to remove that hoop skirt. Think Vanjie and the tulle in season 10. A shedding of your clothes can be so powerful (again think Vanjie in her leopard caftan, shedding her bracelets to "No More Drama"... it gave my LIFE!) but this didn't match the beats of the song. And the desperate repeating of drops and splits didn't work. I felt bad. Brita was great when she grabbed the ruins of the hoop skirt and used it as a whip, but overall... Brita didn't impress me that much either with the lipsync. Still waiting on these "the best one" receipts, Brita! Though I did find all the balls on the runway quite funny.

OVERALL
    I love Balls. The more the merrier! (that's why season 3 was so EPIC!!!). Seeing 33 looks down the runway is fantastic (thrilled that from season 10 onwards they decided to bring the Ball forward so we can really get a show). I was a little disappointed in the second category (it's basically just a pretty dress) and... I wasn't GAGGED by anyone. As Balls go, this was a little sagging (ha!). For me there was no iconic "Yvie as a dinosaur" or "Raja's cotton candy hair cotour" moment that I'll remember for years to come. It was all just fine.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-23-2020 at 05:08 AM.

So I've finally voted... I PICK #TEAMGOODE
    Several reasons: a) she fits the criteria of who will win b) she's impressed me the most c) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I just found her Twitter and her name is "the E is silent". WELL!!! My catchphrase has always been "the J is Silent" so we are clearly simpatico.

On the subject of "fits the criteria" basically
    - other than Jinx, every winner has won at-least one challenge by episode 4. So anyone not picking Widow, Jaida or Gigi for the crown are nuts
    - THE EXCEPTION is Jinx, but by this point she was also in the top a lot of challenges, even if not winning (she actually - - apparently - - has the strongest track record of any winner). So Jackie Cox is still viable.

Anyone voting Jan... no. Just no.

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    6 - Gigi Good [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin / Jaida Essence Hall
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Jackie Cox / Heidi N' Closet [MINI TROPHY - 1]

The Glittered Raspberry
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2
    Crystal Methyd - ep3
    Aiden - ep4

While I liked her energy, I was not surprised that Rock M Sakura was sent home. Her make-up was always great, but the outfits seemed to be lacking. Her last look on the runway was colorful, but it just looked a mess to me.

and yes, we she started to try and rip that hoop off, it was painful to watch.

My favorite moment was when Leslie Jones turned to Aiden Zhane and told her she had a 'sour' look. LOL I've said that to myself a number of times.....she always looks so pissed at something. And then after she had her talk with Leslie, she made a comment about "not trying to please the other girls" (paraphrasing) I did a double take. I wanted to say to her: "Gurl, those 'other girls' tried to tell you that you needed to do more with that outfit, but you didn't want to listen.

She needs to go home.

She needs to go home.
    NEEDS, NEEDS, NEEDS TO! And from the preview of next weeks episode, she's wearing that same god damn pussy cat wig. AGAIN! The same one! Ugh. I agree Sakura wasn't going to win, but I'd be so much more interested seeing a few more of her looks than Aiden's. His runway is one of the worst I've seen in years.

SIMPLE DOODLES
    https://www.instagram.com/notanprieto/

HOUSE OF JBG
    https://www.instagram.com/houseof_jbg/

HRViii ART
    https://www.instagram.com/hrviii_art/
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-25-2020 at 02:52 PM.

What?

No post from Kieran_Frost yet?

Given what's going on right now, I hope everything is ok.

Regarding RDR, it's Monday and the need for spoilers is gone so, on to my post.

I knew that Nicky Doll was going to be going home soon. She seemed to be to willing to keep using the language barrier as an excuse, and when she said that she was the one who should go home, I knew it was over. You never name yourself in a situation like that. Every time a queen has done that, they end up going home.

Once again, completely unimpressed with Aidan, she needs to go home, and I hope it happens soon.

Was I the only one who thought the whole ‘Gay’s Anatomy’ thing was unfunny. I don't recall laughing at any of it.

I did enjoy hearing about the more personal details of the queens' lives. Jackie Cox doing this show, and her mother doesn't even know she's doing it. Very similar to Kim Chi.

And was it only me, or did Normani barely even talk while she was a judge?

I will say, very happy to see that Sherry Pie was pretty much edited out of the episode. Obviously she was in the 'Gay's Anatomy' sketch very visibly, and she won, but with all the backstage banter, I barely remember seeing her on the show, other

Default Eeeeek... sorry it's so late!

RuVIEW [EPISODE 5]
    Sakura has been eliminated... and all the queens are very sad *le sigh*. I found it quite touching, actually. I mean she'd only been there 4 episodes, and already queens were crying over her sashay-ing away. I actually think Heidi and Sakura have the best shot for Miss Congeniality, come the reunion. Elsewhere 'It's Brita B*tch' is really feeling her oats, because she's apparently has all this incredible talent that makes her the best. Brita reminds me of Honey Davenport; being a star outside the competition doesn't mean you're destined to shine IN Drag Race. It's a very different kettle of fish. And to be honest... we've seen her rap, do a ball, imporovisation, act, 8 runways and a lipsync... and I have yet to see a star. I actually don't think I've loved a single thing she's worn. Speaking of ego > talent: Aiden Zhane. It almost offends me. I will say she did great in the "Fosse" challenge, (and unlike Brita) I actually think Aiden does have something special... but to be that defensive shows great insecurity, to actually say "I didn't just sit back and say 'alright I'm done guys, who gives a sh*t'" when she took a nap!!! I just think this confidence is misplaced, or at-the-very-least sending her down the wrong path. She's not open to growing, she's not open to critique. She'll never become a star when she's not willing to digest valid criticism, and in-fact gets overly aggressive about simple truths.

And lastly, especially knowing where the episode goes, I thought it was very sweet (and ultimately quite tragic) when Nicky complimented Gigi's win and praised her looks. It must be hard coming into the competition thinking 'I'll be THE LOOK queen' and slowly realising... you won't be. That must be a difficult pill to swallow, and I praise Nicky for doing it with such grace. Knowing your best skill is being trumped week after week; it's Miss Fame vs Violet Chatchki all over again.

It's a new day in the work room; and we have no mini-challenge. Which does make me a little mad. It's been 5 episodes and we've only had one mini-challenge winner??? That said we do get a rather fun way of working out who decides the roles in the acting challenge. I enjoyed this, is makes a lot more sense than say (for example) Ben and Adore being made team captains for Shade: the Rusical with zero explanation why they were chosen. My three favourite things from this mini-game:
    a) Jackie and Jan shamelessly flirting with Jason and Bryce. They are THIRSTY!
    b) Jason and Bryce looking so f*cking hot as stripper nurses; I'd watch that movie (I'm thirsty too)
    c) Gigi winning things again, whoop whoop.

GAY'S ANATOMY
    I think Gigi and Nicky were very fair, personally. And the two in the bottom got the roles they wanted, so it's not Gigi's fault. I will prefix all this by saying: I've never seen a single episode of Grey's Anatomy, so maybe a lot of the in-jokes are lost on me. Also, this was actually a good challenge. No-one was terrible. It was an impressive collective effort.
    Gigi Goode. WITH THAT CAT!!! And in the green. EPIC! She looks just captivating, you can't take your eyes off her. I found her funnier in the rehearsals than the end product though. And OH MY GOD her cat with the surgeon's hat on, I died. Died.
    Widow Von'Du. It was funny, but quite one note. And got less funny as it went along. She originally added "angry tones" for peaks and balance, but by the end that's the only thing we got. Pity.

MIDDLING
    Brita. She wasn't bad. She just... wasn't good. And she's an actress? It reminded me of Shea doing that old lady in "90201-HO" but with none of the self-deprecating intentions.
    Jaida Essence Hall. I don't 'blame her', she had the hardest lines, and I understand what happened: she thought the joke was to emphasis the innuendoes, and having learnt it with those affected tones, undoing it on the spot isn't as easy as you think. The end result wasn't terrible, and she looked GORGEOUS! But that was the role which could have stolen the show if done right.
    Nicky Doll. Think Tyra or Tatianna in "Disco Extra Greasy Shortening"; you can STEAL IT as the baby. She had funny moments, but too little, too late.

BOTTOM
    Aiden Zhane. That was a pretty uncomfortable May West impression. It was just very put on. Ross Matthews saying "I wanna supppppper sizzzze it" in All Stars 2 was better. It wasn't a car crash, because no one had one, but it had no charm. Mae West was ALL charm. She got away with so much because she had a cheeky twinkle in her eye as she said it. Aiden was much funnier as the ghost ; "Boo" was fun.
    Jan. Controversially... I actually thought she was quite bad. And she has a bachelor's in this (then again plenty of people at my university earned their bachelors and couldn't act either, HA!)
    ACTING TROPHY: Jackie Cox as Dr. Meredith Gay. Firstly, this is the best she's ever looked. But most importantly her acting was so nuanced, and subtle. A truly great performance; the right level of camp but not over-the-top. Very layered. Reminded me of Chad Michaels in "Hot in Tuckahoe"

CATEGORY IS... PLANET OF THE CAPES
    TOOT
    Gigi Goode. SO FUN! Troop Beverly Hilll's girl scout; and the green lining against the beige was so smart. A beautifully silhouette, and again a different silhouette that we've seen from Gigi (smart cookie... that's a girl scout joke for ya!). And those legs! 10s, 10s, 10s across the board.
    Jaida Essence Hall. I loved the silhouette, and the high hair blob to match the shoulder pads was very smart, BUT... she spent so much time holding the cape open, the shoulder pads became cumbersome, and distracting. A good outfit mis-sold on the runway.
    Nicky Doll. I love the idea of cape under cape, she looks so stunning, that second cape is gorgeous; I just wish she had a hump! Combining such glamour with Quasimodo would have saved her, I swear! It would have been iconic. Also that was her most beautiful face and hair to date. She went out on a high.

BOOT
    Brita. This was rubbish. Why do Little Red Ridding-hood AND HIDE THE HOOD with giant hair? Such a poor choice; and once again shows a lack of detail in her drag. [Glittered Raspberry]
    Jackie Cox. I loved the 60s Conan the Barbarian vibe, made me think comic villainesses like Zaladane or Evil-Lyn. THAT SAID... we've seen that cape on both Dariene lake, Adore and NOW Heidi. The colour is great on him though.
    Widow. Ugly as sin. That is a ugly cape, reveal was dull. Love the green hair, bit it's all so the back is great. And what was that reveal???
    Jan. The idea was stunning, but again... badly done. She should have done the back-pack down the runway, not at the start. But I did love the concept; it was a very unique take on capes. Also the actual look is a little basic once you minus the parachute.
    Aiden Zhane. I love the Silence of the Lamb (1991), it's my second favourite film of all time, the Death Head Moth was such a brilliant touch, and this is the only time I think her pussycat wig worked with the outfit. The hat, the glitter, the red lining, all so good... BUT!!! THAT WAS NOT A CAPE! It also looks nothing like Buffalo Bill's. The look is great... for a different runway!

CAPE TROPHY: Crystal Methyd. WOW! That is a cape, ladies and gentleman. The rich purple against that yellow, lush fabric of it. It was... an event. Just perfect. And yes, she looks a thousand times better with less make-up.

LIPSYNC
    It's not that Naomi Smalls owns or invented sliding across the floor, but... this was underwhelming. Some seasons the first few lipsyncs are always a little "meh"; other seasons you have some A-class entertainment from the get-go. Heidi did a decent job, but nothing felt unique. It was staple moves, that we've seen before and ultimately done better. And none of them really played with the song. The trick of 'doing tricks' is apply the right moves to the right son. Yvie vs Brooke wouldn't have worked to "You Make Me Feel"; and they would have done it differently. This just felt... like regardless of the song these are the moves we'd have gotten. Meh.

OVERALL
    A very strong acting challenge, which came together well and had some real highlights. It's a good cast, because I didn't see any truly horrible performances (which bodes well for Snatch Game). The lack of mini-challenges is starting to grate and any episode where you have to just ignore the elephant in the room becomes problematic. I was quite let down by the runway, it's such a fun concept, how did it deliver such 'meh' ideas? NOT ONE SUPERHERO??!?!?!?! Storm, Batman, Raven, Emma Frost, Supergirl? Come on!
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-01-2020 at 04:07 PM.

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    6 - Gigi Good [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin / Jaida Essence Hall /Jackie Cox
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Crystal Methyd / Heidi N' Closet [MINI TROPHY - 1]

The Glittered Raspberry
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2
    Crystal Methyd - ep3
    Aiden - ep4
    Brita - ep5

What?
    No post from Kieran_Frost yet?
    Given what's going on right now, I hope everything is ok.
    Sorry, didn't mean to worry. I have genuinely been working on it since Saturday, but found the motivation to do it less. I think because the episode doesn't really advance anyone's chances, and nothing really stood out I didn't feel... motivated or inspired, I guess. Like I normally do.

I knew that Nicky Doll was going to be going home soon. She seemed to be to willing to keep using the language barrier as an excuse, and when she said that she was the one who should go home, I knew it was over. You never name yourself in a situation like that. Every time a queen has done that, they end up going home.
    Fatal mistake. She nailed in her own coffin.

Once again, completely unimpressed with Aidan, she needs to go home, and I hope it happens soon.
    Agreed. If he was doing the same thing, but humble, I'd be more forgiving. But that attitude... no!

I did enjoy hearing about the more personal details of the queens' lives. Jackie Cox doing this show, and her mother doesn't even know she's doing it. Very similar to Kim Chi.
    The tragedy mirror was working overtime this episode. It did make me chuckle how magnificently Widow "two sh*t Susan'd" Jackie's story! The shade!
    [ref. everyone knows this Susan, where if you've had a sh*t, she's had TWO of them]

I will say, very happy to see that Sherry Pie was pretty much edited out of the episode. Obviously she was in the 'Gay's Anatomy' sketch very visibly, and she won, but with all the backstage banter, I barely remember seeing her on the show, other
    I think the show has handled it right. We can't NOT see how she does in challenges, otherwise the wins will make no sense. But other than that, we ignore her.

I don't feel bad for her, this was a scarlet letter of her own making, but it did occur to me this week, a lot of the queens go into major debt paying for their clothes on the show (but knowing they'll make it back after) and from the looks of her runways, she spent A LOT of money. Unless she came from a wealthy family, and considering her career is over and with everyone in quarantine... she might be filing for bankruptcy soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think Gigi and Nicky were very fair, personally. And the two in the bottom got the roles they wanted, so it's not Gigi's fault. I will prefix all this by saying: I've never seen a single episode of Grey's Anatomy, so maybe a lot of the in-jokes are lost on me. Also, this was actually a good challenge. No-one was terrible. It was an impressive collective effort.

Nicky Doll. Think Tyra or Tatianna in "Disco Extra Greasy Shortening"; you can STEAL IT as the baby. She had funny moments, but too little, too late.

Yeah, Nicky had some funny moments, but when you're in a role like that, you need to make yourself shine, and Nicky just didn't do that. If she had been funnier, I think she may have been safe.

What she needed to do was steal the scenes she was in. With the way the baby was being held, all she had to do was keep straining her neck and lips, as if she was trying to get to her mother's nipple for food. Pucker her lips, make biting movements, stick out her tongue as far as it can go, as if she's trying to grab the nipple with it. She would've grabbed all the attention.

Yeah, Nicky had some funny moments, but when you're in a role like that, you need to make yourself shine, and Nicky just didn't do that. If she had been funnier, I think she may have been safe.
    Despite placing high last episode, she was very much on the chopping block. ANYONE who lipsyncs in the bttm2 has to really step it up, because "safe" won't cut it. Plus, emotionally, it must have been hard for Nicky. To be in the bttm2 so early with no win... and KNOWING you aren't the "look queen" of the season, that must really make you feel defeated. I definitely felt bad for her, because she had a lot of potential.

What she needed to do was steal the scenes she was in. With the way the baby was being held, all she had to do was keep straining her neck and lips, as if she was trying to get to her mother's nipple for food. Pucker her lips, make biting movements, stick out her tongue as far as it can go, as if she's trying to grab the nipple with it. She would've grabbed all the attention.
    I actually think going FULL French would have been funnier. Think of Yara Sofia doing aerobics or the weather; Nicky didn't embrace that she was French. Why not go full Commedia dell'arte? It was getting towards the idea she had, but at this stage if you are not dialing it up to ten, you just won't last.

RuVIEW [EPISODE 6]
    Nicky has been eliminated... but we don't have time to talk about it, as it's round seventeen of "why is Aiden so sh*t?" I don't care, for two main reasons. a) she's clearly not listening to these comments, so why waste the time? Give her enough rope to hang herself with. And b) ...

... she goes this episode anyway. Now it's time for SNATCH GAME!!! This is the episode that matters most, and a good performance on Snatch Game can take you very, very far. It's also the challenge you can prepare the most for, so it's really a matter of separating the skilled queens from the lazy (or deluded) ones. And as Shuga Cain pointed out in S11; nearly every winner places in the top for Snatch Game. This matters! And to help navagate the queens through this important task we have someone who failed miserably at Snatch Game... REALLY? I think Vanjie was very funny this episode, and I loved her being there to tell them "the don'ts" of Snatch Game, but come on! S10 got Bianca, S11 got Jinx, S12... gets Vanjie? Chad Michaels, Ben dela Creme, Alaska; these are performers who consistently demonstrate an understanding of Snatch Game. Or Aquaria, the WINNER of Snatch Game. It just felt like an odd choice... it would be akin to having Scarlet Envy come back to coach them on a da

SNATCH GAME
    Jackie Cox as Lisa Lisa Rinna. I don't think I've ever watched the show, but she seemed very familiar somehow. I don't know why? Regardless, Jackie did a great job, she was very fun, had a great amount of variety; it was a very strong performance. I don't recall any truly "gut busting" funny moments, but she still made me chuckle. That said I would have been happier with her Julie Andrew.
    Heidi N. Closet as Leslie Jones. It was fine, it made me chuckle, but where was the iPhone filming Snatch Game???

BOTTOM
    Aiden Zhane as Patricia "Magenta" Quinn. When the joke "I don't remember, I was on drugs" doesn't get a chuckle, WHY would you make it three more times??? But this is where Aiden doesn't listen, and doesn't consider others critiques. It was a crucifix of his own making. Good-riddance.
    Brita as Jennifer Holliday. It was just Brita. This... damn. This was BAD. Last week's "Gay's Anatomy" was not good, but this is actually bad.
    Crystal Methyd as Poppy. It was just... it was a poor choice. It didn't give enough comebacks to volley with; this was NOT a good Snatch Game character.
    ACTING TROPHY: Gigi Goode as "Maria the Robot". What a revelation this was; a great Snatch Game doesn't require me to know the character to understand them. This was such a risk, and it paid off. I was recently thinking how good (lol) Gigi is, but does she maybe lack Nerve. Well THIS TOOK NERVE! And she rocked it. It had banter, good outfit, original ideas; brilliant performance.

SOME TEA ABOUT SNATCH GAME: Widow Von'Du as Tina Turner/Ike Turner. WHY IKE??? Who wants to embody a wife-beater? But that's a side note. Ever since Bob was told he was "show boating" by doing two characters, I think any smart queen would not do this. Nina West could have won Snatch Game with either of her characters, but doing two cost her the title. Ru even said in the work room "I'm excited to see ONE of these characters." So why Widow would still do two is beyond me, but WHY DO IKE??? Sonny and Cher I could maybe understand, but Tina and her physically abusive husband? It's just a poor choice; in both taste and execution.

CATEGORY IS... FROZEN!
    Another amazing theme, that I found... slightly disappointing. It reminded me a lot of "Miami Summer Realness" from Season 10 and I think a few of them didn't avoid the pit-fall of re-hashing that concept. Heidi, Jaida and Crystal were looked nice, but all three felt like copies of what we saw for that season 10 runway...

TOOT
    Gigi Goode. Now originally I thought she was doing Wendy's logo; but having looked it up I can't tell if it's an alalgamation of that and a classic icecream parlour uniform or a reference I'm not getting. Regardless, it's so super cute, I loved the touches of the pink nose and freckles. Just a really wonderful idea, executed flawlessly.
    Jackie Cox. Embodying Elsa's Ice crown was a fun idea, and for the most part I like it. I think there is just a tweek or two needed. The hair should be straight, like razored str8, to contrast with the curves of the suit better.
    Jaida Essence Hall. It reminded me of Kim Kardasian at the Met Gala, where she has ice drops hanging from her body. This also gave me "Miami Summer Realness" but the most successful of the 4 that did.
    Widow Von'Du. Yaaaaaas Kate Winslet's Titanic moment. The whistle was a great touch, I always enjoy when a queen brings sound to the runway (like Alaska's "aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" in All Stars 2 "Future of Drag" runway). The icicles looked a little odd, but overall I enjoyed this immensely.

BOOT
    Aiden. It's literally a boring blue dress; even by season 4 standards this would be underwhelming. And he doesn't work as a blonde, it's really jarring against his pale skin (and I say that as a guy who's porcelina white)
    Brita. It's a nice dress... that we've seen before and it didn't give me Frozen. I understand he wanted to be the light refracting, but something about it didn't connect. It reminded me of Eureka's "glittered" runway.
    RUNWAY TROPHY: Jan. But just barely! When she is frozen solid and walking very stiff, it's hilarious. Very well done, very clever and that liquid hugs her curves beautifully. The reveal wasn't needed, though I did like the White Walker eye.

LIPSYNC
    This should have been a double elimination!!! Last Snatch Game we got (arguably) the best lipsync in Drag Race Her-story with Yvie vs Brooke. This time we have the best Disney song since "Circle of Life", and it friggin' SNOWED ON STAGE!!!! This had all the makings of being one for the books, and it was just... meh! Aiden was a cold dead fish, and did he not know the words? I can't believe that, you couldn't avoid hearing them across 2013. And Brita gets the Glittered Raspberry; it was so underwhelming. There was no costume change, no wig reveal; this could have been SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! I really don't see a star in her, and the more she talks about it, the less it shows.

OVERALL
    A return to a very enjoyable Snatch Game after the appauling efforts last season; this was a very good episode with a very well deserved winner. I found myself laughing a lot, and having a blast. The lack of mini-challenges and an underwhelming runway knock it down from five stars.
    ~ rating: ★★★★☆ [grade: A-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-13-2020 at 04:56 AM.