View Poll Results: Who will be crowned America's Next Drag SUPERSTAR?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aiden Zhane

0 0%
  • Brita

0 0%
  • Crystal Methyd

0 0%
  • Dahlia Sin

0 0%
  • Gigi Goode

1 20.00%
  • Heidi N Closet

0 0%
  • Jackie Cox

1 20.00%
  • Jaida Essence Hall

0 0%
  • Jan

2 40.00%
  • Nicky Doll

0 0%
  • Rock M. Sakura

0 0%
  • Sherry Pie

0 0%
  • Widow Von'Du

1 20.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

And three pieces of fan-art from the amazing House of JBG capturing the commercials perfectly!!! I was slightly sad, across all of Instagram, I couldn't find my two favourite moments; which was Crystal's mall guy and Heidi on her knees pushing out the tears. But oh well...

HOUSE OF JBG
    https://www.instagram.com/houseof_jbg/

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

RuVIEW [EPISODE 9]
    "If a robot and a barbie and a cheerleader all had like, an orgy, and they made a barbie robot cheerleader b*tch. That would be Jan." ~ Jaida Essence Hall
    Jan is gone, Heidi won, Widow is shootekth and Gigi... is cocky? "I would have never guessed." HA! There's little in the way of drama, and Jaida is giving some very good (and hilarious) advice. She really is shining, serving me Asia O'Hara mother vibes (in the best possible way). Never forget girls, keep your ass right and the mind will follow. Hee hee...

It's a new day in the 'You Betta Werk Room' and Heidi has decided to call herself Heidi Hydrate from now on? REALLY? It took her 8 weeks to pick that rubbish name? Surely this was a joke? Regardless, we get another mini-challenge, one that was HILARIOUS! Inspired by the musical Cats (2019), the queens need to... basically act like cats and make us laugh...

KITTY GIRL 2020
    Gigi Goode. High fashion p*ssy. I loved the look, it was haute cat-ure (*snicker*). What she did best, that gave me real cat vibes was the voice, both monotone and inquisitive. Looking at the ball and stating "an unfinished garment" made me cackle. So much fun. "I seem to be stuck." It was very monotone in the best possible way, it captured the cat essence.
    Jackie Cox. Earth Kitt realness, the Perrrrrrrrrsian Glamour Pussssssss. More Chi Chi deVayne than Valentina, and the make-up was super cute. A clever, if not ground-breaking kitty cat.
    Jaida Essence Hall. She was giving me Trinity the Tuck's Cat Couture, and just looked so seductive. Honest I think Jaida is the most talented 'fishy queen' the show's ever had. Loved her sliding down the cat scratchier into the splits.
    MINI TROPHY: Crystal Methyd. Of all the queens Crystal did the most intricate (and best) make-up, and the outfit was a scream. Leopard print pants and that CRAZY big hair; it was bonkers kitty and I'm here for it. She embodied a cat better than anyone; from the sad, Droopy-esq voice, slowly stepping into the litter box and pausing to nudge over the vase. It was purrrrrrfect.

CHOICES 2020
    Similar to Season 4's "Frock the Vote" challenge, the queens must embody presidential candidates and participate in a political debate before moderators Jeff Goldblum and Rachel Bloom. It's always a difficult challenge, that fine line between being informed, informative, satirical AND still making it funny. Much like "Frock the Vote" I didn't love the episode, I don't think this complexity translates well for Drag Race. I much prefer the "Shady Political Ads" from Season 8.

The highlight of the episode was RAVEN!!! Every segment with her was funny, "Fight the GOP, get into the GAP" oh my god, that had Ru HOWLING!!! No-one is better than Raven for making Ru laugh. Reading Widow for her 'biscuit baskets' was great. "You're trying to become America's next drag superstar... now... I don't know what that's like" and "B*tch, you're not really running for president" had me chuckling. The only guest appearance to top Raven was the fierce Broc-ally waving from behind Michelle Visage in the video messages. Living.

THE GOOD
    Jaida Essence Hall. She looked so good, the breast show, with the giant colourful belt buckle matching her ring. So polished with a great slogan: "Of the bitches, for the bitches". Her comebacks were so quick, the "retattle the retittle of the rebuttle" was excellent, and the subversive political commentary of politicians not answering questions came through clearly. "LOOK OVER THERE!" I laughed so hard. She slayyyyyed this challenge.

THE BAD
    Heidi. She is Alyssa Edwards reincarnate; she is so captivating but she can only really do Heidi. Her Snatch Game was Heidi, her "Gay's Anatomy" was Heidi, she is Heidi. And between breaking character and relying on crutches like her gap whistling, I was left very underwhelmed. But she looked good... pity the make-up was off.
    Jackie Cox. She looked great, very Martha Stewart meets head of the WI, but the Canadian joke just wasn't funny. It wasn't funny the first time; and then it kept coming back like Shangela. So disappointed, as she's so smart and possibly the most politically aware queen. I expected A LOT more.
    Crystal Methyd. She looked... ill-fitted. That red jacket suit needed to be steamed, ironed and cinched. I wasn't a fan of relying on past jokes (or "crutches", as Michelle would say). The mullet was hilarious last week, let's not kill it. Crystal has so much more to give than a mullet, and I need her to realize that. Ru told her "what is the Crystal method?" And she didn't pick up on it; that was her slogan and her POV. I did appreciate she attempted to bring political jargon into it, more than most.

THE UGLY
    Gigi Goode. I think the idea of being a robot was strong (similar to Maria the Robot, but still different enough), because plenty of politicians have been accused of being robotic in the past (Hilary Clinton, Theresa May, Pete Buttigieg). She just didn't have the references. This was not her challenge. Looking like Taylor Swift was wonderful, but again she could have embraced that "snake girl" persona. It just... was a fail. Ru told her to stick to fashion and she didn't listen.
    Widow Von'Du. The outfit was very dull, so was the hair. It was giving me joyless Oprah. Last week was either going to break her like or make her. And it broke her. This was just not funny, and there was no character, no concept. There was a brief Jamaican accent that would have been super fun to go with, but that is the only glimmer of hope I could find.

CATEGORY IS... STARS & STRIPES
    Very similar to Season 3's "Patriotic Drag" runway. Think Raja's Native America or Manila's money dress. True trailblazers.
    TOOT
    Crystal Methyd. I thought this was so chic, and I loved the huge variety of prints and patterns on it. It was just very well done.
    Gigi Goode. Similar to her entrance looked, but tailored to perfection, it's not easy making such a masculine cut seem feminine. I do think she needed a bolder lip to make her top half seem more womanly. But overall it's gorgeous; and a nod to Alexis Mateo's military garb in Season 3.
    Jaida Essence Hall. The shoulders are very reminiscent of her "Planet of the Capes" runway. It wasn't reinventing the wheel, but the touches of the colour in the hair and the propositionized body... it works.
    Widow Von'Du. I loved this, it was such a clever idea, and a powerful political message. Done flawlessly, it's one of her best runways to date.

BOOT
    Heidi Ho. It's fine, it's almost the same type of outfit you got from the more basic Season 3 runway. Meh.
    RUNWAY TROPHY: Jackie Cox. The fabric was SO beautiful, it had this rich, effortless flow to it. The deep navy blue of the hijab with the stars trailing down them, and the lined chador with a brilliant nod to the stripes of the American flag without being too literal (the splash of solid red was a fantastic choice). It was simply stunning.

LIPSYNC
    I was right there with Jeff Goldblum, it was powerfully upsetting. Sadly the two most political runways, of two minorities oppressed by both society (and even the LGBT+ community), are having to lipsync against one another. Jackie Cox surprised me. It was funny, spontaneous, witty, playful... she looked like the embodiment of pride and beauty. It was captivating. And shifting from word-play at the start to grabbing her chador and shaking it for the gods. I loved it. She gets a trophy! Best lipsync for your life this series.
    LIPSYNC TROPHY: Jackie Cox

OVERALL
    Possibly my least favourite episode of the season. A rehash of a Season 4 challenge (which I didn't much care for the first time round), with a rehash of a Season 3 runway (which I didn't much care for the first time round). Few moments really shone. Thank god for the super fun mini-challenge and a solid lipsync to carry the episode through.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-27-2020 at 04:19 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    8 - Gigi Good [MINI TROPHY - 2]
    4 - Jackie Cox [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    3 - Jaida Essence Hall / Crystal Methyd [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin / Jan
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Heidi N' Closet [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    LEFT TROPHYLESS - Aiden and Brita (maybe in the reunion or finale they'll get a trophy for their look... but I doubt it)

Another week where I haven't given a Glittered Raspberry, I think (maybe) we're now into fierce competition and being a basic b*tch is long gone. Probably the only other time I'll give this trophy this season is at the reunion.

The Glittered Raspberry
    This is awarded once per episode to the queen who is, for what ever reason, being a basic b*tch. Like the Golden Raspberry given to "Worst Actor/Film/Writing" the day before the Oscars; it's not a trophy you want.
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2
    Crystal Methyd - ep3
    Aiden - ep4
    Brita - ep5
    Brita - ep6
    Widow - ep7
    NOT GIVEN - ep8
    NOT GIVEN - ep9

LAST CHANCE TO VOTE FOR YOUR WINNER!!!

Poll closes tonight.

It's FAN ART FRIDAY!!! Just before I post them I wanted to mention a part of last episode I forgot to talk about. My favourite moment was when Gigi looked RuPaul in the eye and said "you will NOT see me in the bottom again." And b*tchhhhhhh, I believed her. That was FIERCE! Don't let me down, Gigi. Don't let me down.

CHRIS McPARLAN
    https://www.instagram.com/chrismcparlan/

CINDACRY
    https://www.instagram.com/cindacry/

JBARTS2
    https://www.instagram.com/jbarts2/

RuVIEW [EPISODE 10]
    Widow is gone. But the girls feel at peace with it. I still can't find a way to watch Untucked, so I have no idea if there was any residue of drama left over, but my gut tells me all is fine. They briefly talk about "stats", with Gigi and Jaida leading the pack. It's Top 6 and with three challenges still to go, it's everything to play for...

It's a new day in the 'You Betta Werk Room' and Heidi has decided to drop Heidi Hydrate (thank GAWD) in favour of Heidi Afrodite (which is super cute). We don't get a mini-challenge, which makes me frustrated but at-least we still have one queen assign partners rather than them being handed out in a predetermined manner like in Season 8. I actually think Jaida was very fair, and that's something I realised about the remaining queens... they are all so lovely. There isn't really any drama or animosity or feuds; it's just a gathering of chia pets. I wouldn't have picked the prettiest one (personally), as mostly the judges criticize that advantage come deliberation and are less impressed by the end result, but... oh well, shows what I know... (*grumble grumble*)

"This is probably the most important question... how do you feel about glitter?" ~ Crystal

SUPERFAN MAKE-OVER
    It's the make-over challenge!!! I flip-flop on whether I like these episodes. Some I love, "Crew Betta Work!" in Season 9 was my favourite make-over, and Winter Green remains the best make-over ever seen on the show. I just sometimes feel the judges decide what to care about in terms of "family resemblance" on the day... and it's so arbitrary. It's not consistent. And that was very true this episode (*grumble grumble*).

Now for some fun trivia, the queens have only made-over women in Season 1 and Season 8. It's a unique challenge, because you have to take women, and make them look like drag queens (meaning MEN dressed as woman). This isn't easy, it's probably the most make-up important challenge. Also, to date (out of 14 make-overs) Bianca del Rio is the only crowned queen who won the make-over challenge; so the importance of winning is much less than say Snatch Game or a Ball.

Ru walks on stage, and I'm livvvvvvvvvvvvvvving for this dress. It's so, SO beautiful. A billion glittered jewels, and the shaping of the bodice in gold matching the shoe. WOW! While the silhouette is very Ru, it's all done to perfection. One of his best runways from this season.

CATEGORY IS... DRAG FAMILY RESEMBLANCE
    TOOT
    Gigi Goode & Bebe Bad. I thought this was beautiful. It was so chic. YES, it was also very easy, that outfit would fit nearly anyone, but the choice of no belt, no accessories. It is still a gamble, and it paid off. Less CAN be more. It was a bold, if easy, choice. And I loved it.
    Jaida Essence Hall & Jazz Essence Hall. Meh. It reminded me of a replica of Vanjie and Ariel's make-over. Was it nice, yes. Does she get credit for sowing it? ABSOLUTELY! Will I remember it in years to come? Hell no! And why was Jazz constantly holding her bower in-front of her crotch, did anyone else notice that???

BOOT
    Heidi Afrodite & Honey Almighty. The names are super cute but... oh bless. Honey was in such an unflattering dress. It looked like a maternity moo-moo. And make-up has never been Heidi's strength; so I knew she'd struggle.
    Jackie Cox & Lil' Snacky Cox. Disco Queens, Mark II. It was more polished than Heidi's, but still rather pedestrian. Jackie looked great, I loved that snake necklace, but Snacky's dress was a little... basic? A less well fitting, less accessorized version of Ben dela Creme's Studio 54 runway from All Stars 3. Snacky NEEDED a feather bower.

[As a side note] I DO NOT LIKE DISCO RUNWAYS! This is a theme that has gone wrong so many times; and can very easily look cheap, or uninspiring. It's especially problematic with the makeover challenge; think Jaidynn Diore Fierce or Silky Nutmeg Ganache. It just feels very over-done, as unoriginal as "space bimbos" and "pageant queens". It's just not creative or original enough to win, and if the goal is not to win, then you've already failed.

RUNWAY TROPHY: Crystal Methyd & Opal Methyd. Charisma. Uniqueness. Nerve. Talent. HOW DID THIS NOT WIN??? It was so adorable, it was arguably the most original make-over decision we've ever seen. It was SO BOLD! This was a risk! And it was beautifully executed. My only critique was Crystal looked more like a boy, than a woman; but it was rag doll/troll doll realness and I loved it. So wrong... IT WAS RIGHT! The crazy spiked hair, the opal rings and square earrings. It was a toy box's wet dream.

Before we get to the deliberation, I loved that the super fans had to lipsync. This was just the sweetest gift for them, and it made me so happy. Janet the Planet SERVED IT!!! Oh my goodness, she was a super star. My favourite part was Gigi and Crystal giving their drag daughters props to use in the lipsync. That was a really nice touch, and showed a great deal of care and protection. Yet another reason Crystal should have won. (*grumble grumble*)

LIPSYNC
    This was sadly the correct bottom two; and I love them and didn't want either to go; but that's the reality when it gets down to the final stretch. It was not as good as last week, but still one of the more impressive battles of the series. Jackie was not only incredibly bold in her lipsync choice of doing this crazy stalker lover, but she was completely different than last time. I am always impressed by a queen who can lipsync in more than one style, depending on the song. Where as Heidi... did... the same things we've seen the last two times (and I didn't care for it much the first time). Ughhhhh AND she carted out my personal pet-peeve: playing a musical instrument. It always looks tacky, and Season 10 was riff with it. No. NO!!!

OVERALL
    An enjoyable makeover challenge, that brought a smile to my face. If I could summerise the episode in one word it would be: cute. I categorically disagree with who won though; and that did leave a sour patch on the episode. The runway gave us some excellent moments and all the superfans were a delight. Janet the Planet is my new spirit animal.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B]

NEXT WEEK...
    - PUPPETS!!! ABOUT. F*CKIN' TIME!!!
    - WHOOPI!!! FINALLY!!! Mama, it's come true!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-04-2020 at 03:38 AM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Hiya Kieran!

I didn't post last week because I missed last week's episode. I watched it this week, followed by the new episode.

When tomorrow comes and I don't need to use spoilers, I will post up.

[AS PER MY RULE, MONDAY ONWARDS: SPOILERS ARE ALLOWED... I've updated the tally on the OP and un-spoilered my review]
    During my reviews I do 'trophies'; and thought this season I'll keep a tally of them, to see how it stacks up against how the queens progress. More for my own amusement than others, but... enjoy.

Kieran's "Trophy Hall of Records"
    8 - Gigi Good [MINI TROPHY - 2]
    4 - Jackie Cox [MINI TROPHY - 1] / Crystal Methyd [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    3 - Jaida Essence Hall
    2 - Widow Von'Du / Dahlia Sin / Jan
    1 - Nicky Doll / Rock M. Sakura / Heidi N' Closet [MINI TROPHY - 1]
    LEFT TROPHYLESS - Aiden and Brita (maybe in the reunion or finale they'll get a trophy for their look... but I doubt it)

Another week where I haven't given a Glittered Raspberry, I think (maybe) we're now into fierce competition and being a basic b*tch is long gone. Probably the only other time I'll give this trophy this season is at the reunion.

The Glittered Raspberry
    This is awarded once per episode to the queen who is, for what ever reason, being a basic b*tch. Like the Golden Raspberry given to "Worst Actor/Film/Writing" the day before the Oscars; it's not a trophy you want.
    Brita - ep1
    Jan - ep2
    Crystal Methyd - ep3
    Aiden - ep4
    Brita - ep5
    Brita - ep6
    Widow - ep7
    NOT GIVEN - ep8
    NOT GIVEN - ep9
    NOT GIVEN - ep10

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Hiya Kieran!
    I didn't post last week because I missed last week's episode. I watched it this week, followed by the new episode.
    Oh phew, was worried my reviews were getting boring. Did you watch Secret Celebrity Drag Race too?

When tomorrow comes and I don't need to use spoilers, I will post up.
    Looking forward to your thoughts.

I thought Heidi playing the bongos on the stagelights was hilarious. Heidi is always great in confessionals. Jackie's POV stories are important and her faces during lipsyncs are hilarious. Both make great TV for Drag Race.

Honestly I thought Jaida, Crystal, and Heidi were going to be filler queens to go home far earlier in the season. Season 12 is weird.

For fun, I thought I'd work out who I THINK should have been the winner and lipsyncing each episode, to see how I feel the lay of the land should look right now coming into the final few weeks.
    EP 1
    - Gigi should have won, I think her lipsync was so much better.
    EP 2
    - Jaida rightly won
    EP 3
    I HATE teams not being graded as teams, and had they done this:
    - Jackie would have been the strongest on the strongest team.
    - the weakest team was the girl scouts, so Crystal and Nicky would lipsync
    EP 4
    - I think Jaida should have won, her final ball look was better, and HAD Gigi won the first episode, I think Jaida would have got this
    - bttm2: Brita and Aiden
    EP 5
    - Lady Voldermort rightly won
    - bttm2 Brita and Heidi
    EP 6
    - Gigi rightly won
    - bttm2 Brita and Aiden
    EP 7
    - Gigi rightly won
    - bttm2 Brita and Widow (I found Heidi's dancing better than Widow's; and both their runways underwhelming)
    EP 8
    - Crystal's commercial was so much more polished and her corpse bride SLAYED!!!!
    - bttm2 was right
    EP 9
    - Jaida rightly won
    - bttm2 was right
    EP 10
    - CRYSTAL WAS ROBBED!!! She slayed this and should have won
    - bttm2 was right

SO... inconclusion
    - Gigi would still have 3 wins
    - Jaida would still have 3 wins
    - Crystal would have 2 wins, but 1 bttm
    - Lady V would have 1 win
    - Jackie 1 win, but 2bttms
    - Heidi no wins (BUT only bttm2 twice)

So... this means Heidi won't make the top 5 by the end of next week. Let's see if I'm right...

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I thought Heidi playing the bongos on the stagelights was hilarious.
    I just really don't like playing musical instruments in a lipsync. Vixen ruined it for me. HA! No, I've never liked it. I don't know why, it just feels a lazy out; you have a few seconds during the instrument, oh play an instrument. MEH! Where as that is the perfect opportunity to do stunts or reveals or comedy. Do the unexpected. An instrumental mimic during the instrumental... give me more than that.

Heidi is always great in confessionals.
    So, so hilarious. She's got Miss Congeniality in the bag!

Honestly I thought Jaida, Crystal, and Heidi were going to be filler queens to go home far earlier in the season. Season 12 is weird.
    Based on my earliest predictions on the first page, I had Jaida as Top 5; but I had Crystal as one of the first going home. Show's what I know. Heidi I ranked as midway... and to be fair, as adorable as she is, I think she is a bit of a filler queen. Come All Stars I don't think better costumes will solve the issue of not being in the top more; I just... don't think she can put the pieces all together. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe in time she'll work it out and SLAYYYY All Stars.

PREDICTIONS FROM THE FIRST FEW POSTS AFTER THE OPENING TWO PARTER:
    (won't last long) Crystal Methyd. Hit or miss. I'm still undecided. She's outside the box, but something feels... not THAT outside. Top 5? I don't think so. Winner? No.
    (midway) Heidi N Closet. Her personality was adorable; and I liked some of her looks a lot. She's adorable. I just don't think shes going to win. I don't see that killer instinct. Miss Congeniality? Possibly.
    (midway/Top 5) Jackie Cox. A comedy queen that's hokey and ol' school has never won. But they often get far, and surprise us. And she can turn a look. Top 5? Probably. Winner? No.
    (midway/Top 5) Jaida Essence Hall. I don't see a winner. Not yet. She SURPRISED me with that lipsync, and I think she'll definitely make Top 6, maybe to the finale, but I don't see a winner... yet. But the jury is still out. She could surprise me.
    (Winner) Gigi Goode. My favourite so far. Her looks were sooooooo good. Look queen of the season. Her rap was great, her lipsync VERY unique and bold. Of these seven I think she's the strongest contender due to her variety of skills. Top 5? Definitely. Winner? Possibly. Strongest chance of these 7 so far.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-04-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Oh phew, was worried my reviews were getting boring. Did you watch Secret Celebrity Drag Race too?
    Nope, not boring at all! Now, it's time to get caught up.

regarding the political debate challenge and stars and stripes runway, after watching, I knew that both Jackie Cox and Widow Von'Du would be in the bottom. Neither of them were able to do funny in the debate. When it came to the runway, I gave the edge to Jackie, because her look (to me) fit the theme. I really liked Widow's look, but it wasn't 'stars and stripes' to me. I thought the both of them were good in the lip sync, and the only reason I would pick Jackie was because of the runway look.

Widow mentioned her inner saboteurs, and to be honest, they've poked their heads out more than once on this season, so I'm not surprised to see her leave. Still, she was a fierce queen.

Next was the make-over episode. I have to say, I was totally oblivious to Crystal Method's theme of Bert and Ernie! LOL.

I had a feeling that Jackie Cox was going to be in the bottom two again, before I even saw the looks. It always seems that when queen gets too secure, she ends up in the bottom two. That entire episode Jackie was shooting comments at Jaida and Crystal for different reasons, and they were both the tops of the week, while Jackie was once again in the bottom.

Jackie didn't even do a bad job, I thought Little Snackie Cos looked great, it's just that it wasn't enough. It was too sedate when compared to the other contestants. As for Heidi WhatsHerName (and I don't mean that as shade, it just seems the name changes weekly), her super fan got a very basic look that was unflattering and completely ignored the fact that they were supposed to be family. I could see they were Diana Ross and Donna Summer, but that wasn't the challenge.

I think Jackie was very wise to play up the crazy in that lip sync, because she needed to make herself stand out. Thankfully, it was enough that night, and she was able to be part of a double "shante you stay" moment.

As much as I like Jackie, she needs to pull herself together next week, or I can see her going home.

Just wanted to do a quick check on something.

When the season started, they split the queens up into two different premiers, and they united for the third episode. Posters here seemed to really like the first set of queens, but not too into the second set.

Let's see how the groups have fared. The queens in violet were introduced the first week. The queens in green were introduced the second week.

Crystal Methyd
    GiGi Goode
    Heidi N Closet
    Jackie Cox
    Jaida Essence Hall
    Sherry Pie
    Widow Von'Du
    Jan
    Brita
    Aiden Zhane
    Nicky Doll
    Rock M. Sakura
    Dahlia Sin

That list above (taken from the RDR 12 wikipedia page) is also in the order of elimination, from the bottom up as of last Friday. The only queen left from the first group is Jaida Essence Hall. All the others (Dahlia, Rock M, Aiden and Jan) were all eliminated already.

Nope, not boring at all!

regarding the political debate challenge and stars and stripes runway, after watching, I knew that both Jackie Cox and Widow Von'Du would be in the bottom. Neither of them were able to do funny in the debate. When it came to the runway, I gave the edge to Jackie, because her look (to me) fit the theme. I really liked Widow's look, but it wasn't 'stars and stripes' to me. I thought the both of them were good in the lip sync, and the only reason I would pick Jackie was because of the runway look.
    I think Widow just lost her sparkle. I think it was Ross who said it last season, that the building pressure of the competition can either crush a queen, or make them blossom. In Yvie's case, she blossomed. Crystal is too. I think Widow got crushed. I think Jackie and Gigi are too. BOTH were so, SO STRONG for over half the season and then... they just have lost that incredible resiliance to change it up on a dime and excel at every challenge.

Widow mentioned her inner saboteurs, and to be honest, they've poked their heads out more than once on this season, so I'm not surprised to see her leave. Still, she was a fierce queen.
    She was very fierce. And the first queen with a win to go home this season. Last season the first with a win to go was Scarlet Envy, and the season before was Mayhem Miller. Not bad company to be in.

Next was the make-over episode. I have to say, I was totally oblivious to Crystal Method's theme of Bert and Ernie! LOL.
    To be fair, I got the rag-dolls/playtime feel, I did NOT clock it was Bert and Ernie. Now I realise that, I love it even more!

Jackie didn't even do a bad job, I thought Little Snackie Cos looked great, it's just that it wasn't enough. It was too sedate when compared to the other contestants.
    The make-over challenge is HARD! Think of who has been in the bottom for it: Bebe, Raja, Detox, Ginger Minj, Shea Coulee, in All Stars Alaska, Manila Luzon. These are HARD challenges; more winners have been in the bottom for the make-over than have won it. And it's always so late in the competition that "safe" isn't safe enough.

As for Heidi WhatsHerName (and I don't mean that as shade, it just seems the name changes weekly), her super fan got a very basic look that was unflattering and completely ignored the fact that they were supposed to be family. I could see they were Diana Ross and Donna Summer, but that wasn't the challenge.
    They need to ban Disco make-overs. They never work.

As much as I like Jackie, she needs to pull herself together next week, or I can see her going home.
    Agreed. After Gigi she's my favourite. But Crystal is coming in hot. I don't see Crystal winning (though I'd love it if she did). But I can see her SLAYING All Stars. She's just gotten stronger and stronger and stronger. Next week is a one-drag-queen-show; so (in theory) Jackie and Lady Voldemort should do the best.

When the season started, they split the queens up into two different premiers, and they united for the third episode. Posters here seemed to really like the first set of queens, but not too into the second set.
    Let's see how the groups have fared. The queens in violet were introduced the first week. The queens in green were introduced the second week.
    Crystal Methyd
    GiGi Goode
    Heidi N Closet
    Jackie Cox
    Jaida Essence Hall
    Sherry Pie
    Widow Von'Du
    Jan
    Brita
    Aiden Zhane
    Nicky Doll
    Rock M. Sakura
    Dahlia Sin
    To be honest: I'm not surprised the Top 6 is mostly from the first batch. That first episode NO-ONE was bad, it was such a strong opening. I fully agreed that no-one should go home, and that the best two lipsync for the win. The second batch... it was shakey. I think Dahlia and Aiden (or Jan) should have lipsynced.

IT'S FAN ART FRIDAY! And in honour (and outrage) at Crystal not winning last episode we are going to celebrate (possibly) the best make-over in Drag Race Herstory. It's Crystal Friday!!!

CONNOR JAMES
    https://www.instagram.com/another_con_artist/

JOAO VICTOR MATHIELO
    https://www.instagram.com/jvmathi/

SIMPLE DOODLES
    https://www.instagram.com/notanprieto/

RuVIEW [EPISODE 11]
    After the non-elimination (which I'm not mad at) the queen do their usual deliberation. It's time to talk about stats, Ben dela Creme is working out the algorithm so the queens have time to spill the tea. Gigi channels Aquaria to point out she's annoyed by the double save because she wanted it to be Top 5. Jackie channels every queen post lipsync, talking about how THIS TIME the fire that it lit is going to change things (Brita is shooketh). And Heidi is channeling... herself? #HEpiphany. BWAHAHAHAHA! This really is a very sweet Top 6, I do genuinely like them all and to jump ahead, I agree with Ru's comment later: "you six are really some of the best we've ever had here, you're something else. I wish you would be the 6 forever and ever."

"When you send your friend off at the airport, that doesn't mean you love them any less" ~ Jaida Essence Hall

It's a new day in the 'You Betta Werk Room' and first of all let's talk about Jackie's bulge in those trousers. I cannot be the only one to notice, it was VERY present and accounted for. Anyway it's time, not just for a mini-challenge, ohhhh no... it's... time... for... PUPPETS!!!

EVERYBODY LOVES PUPPETS
    I'm devastated. I'm crushed. Not since "I choose Manila" have I been so applaud! I have been championing puppets for three seasons, since they stopped doing it after Season 9. It is my favourite mini-challenge And THIS MEDIOCRITY is what I was waiting for? I think... not! No-one's getting a trophy, this was rubbish!!! What happened? Most of these remaining queens did really well in the (sort of)"Reading" challenge gifting, and this is basically the same principle. Maybe they just got the wrong puppet for the wrong queen. If only Jackie had got Crystal, because her Crystal impression in episode 9 was spot on. Jackie was "the best" but the bar was low. It would be akin to getting the Top Toot for your runway... when the competition was Jiggly Caliente and Jocelyn Fox. And to rub salt in the wound, the puppets looked sooooo good. Jaida's mini-Gigi with her Ball Ball outfit, Gigi's mini-Jackie bearded Genie, Heidi's muppet realness mini-Crystal.

ONE DRAG QUEEN SHOW
    This is one of the most creative AND DIFFICULT challenges I've seen the show do; it was akin to "Dragracadabra" last season, with even less help in narrative (SIDE BAR: Nina West would have slayyyyyed this challenge). And so for the hardest challenge they needed the best advice and they got it! Whoopi Goldberg was one of the most supportive and informative queens since Kathy Najimy directing the queens in the TV Commercial for Disco Shortening in season 2. The nuggets of wisdom she gave each queen was indispensable, and she was bang on the money every-time. I applaud all of them, this was not easy, and I saw potential in each and every one of their routines (well... maybe not Jaida's). And OH MY GOD DAHLIA IS BACK! Actually back! That wasn't CGI, she was there in that fierce Broc-ally outfit.

GOOD REVIEWS FROM THE BIG PINK FURRY BOX THEATRE
    "Phenomenal Phil" by Crystal Methyd. I really liked this; the stupid muscle suit with those child tattoos of a tiger and a snake! BWAHAHAHA! It was stupid fun. If only she had done a non-Crystal voice, like Raja's meat-head from Season 3's "Totally Leotarded" challenge, that would have sold the routine even better. She is embracing Yvie's mantra of "Fly your freak FLAG!" [WHOOPI WISDOM - make it fun for you, don't worry if it's funny for me]
    "Welcome Aboard Brimstone Airways" by Gigi Goode. I'm tempted to give her the trophy. Did she stumble, yes. But I also laughed hardest at this than any of the others. The concept was the strongest, and I wish she'd listened to Whoopi and Ru. Riffing with the audience, attacking people's fashions as the reason they are going to hell!!! SHE KNOWS FASHION!!! Ru said the same thing for the political debate, why can't Gigi connect the dots on that one? Serving unsalted peanuts with the tag-line "welcome to hell, b*tch" ON MY GOD! I died. "I'll call you Karen from now on!", "Go f*ck yourself, Gary!" "And please... enjoy your stay in Detroit." Oh my goodness, when these jokes landed they stole the show, and she looked SO GOOD in her Nomi Malone curls and white jump suit. [WHOOPI WISDOM - you don't have enough time, so improvise, don't think about it, if you trust your gut, 97% of the time it'll be fine]

BAD REVIEWS FROM THE BIG PINK FURRY BOX THEATRE
    "Cook Out With Your Cheeks Out" by Heidi Afrodite. I love the idea, Madea's Big Southern Cook-out feat. the Afrodites. LOVE IT! But I've said repeatedly Heidi can only play Heidi. Madonna was Heidi. Leslie Jones was Heidi. So why did she do a skit that ONLY works if she successfully conveys multiple varied characters brilliantly??? The idea made me smile so much, and Whoopi Goldberg teaching her to play a drunk had me in stitches. But this... was just not the path she should have taken.
    "the P in Pageant" by Jaida Essence Hall. Oh boy. To quote Jaida: "chillllllllld". Do I really need to analyze why this failed?

COMEDY TROPHY: "Between Two Parents" by Jackie Cox. I think all three did a great job, but the clear concept of Jackie's skit won me over. Even the name, with the visual of two stools with glasses on them for parents. It is a done trick, but it's very effective. I loved the through narrative and the heart and moral coming through at the end. It was believably the type of performance I'd see in a one-woman-show. IN FACT at Edinburgh last year I saw this hilarious one-woman-show called "My Father the Tantric Masseur" and it was basically this same concept, with a sister added in as the third character. It was concise, honest and I loved Jackie's impression of his mother. "What is zissssss?" Thank god she dropped "Drag Race 101" [WHOOPI WISDOM - take yourself out of this stand-up idea]

CATEGORY IS... THE COLOR PURPLE
    TOOT
    Crystal Methyd. The idea behind this fills me with joy; it's the Gruffalo meets Trekkie Monster from Avenue Q (which ultimately is a great description of Nick Cave's sound suits). But it needed something to make it slightly more female. A belt to pull in that waste, obnoxiously large monster boobs, something. Super fun though.
    Jackie Cox. I didn't get the specific reference to the Purple People Eater (a film starring Shelley Winters), and looking at the inspiration... yeah it was nothing like it. WHAT I DID GET though is some bad-apple, diseased Whoville citizen. I can't think of the specific character, but this definitely was giving me 80s cartoon witch and I loved it.
    Jaida Essence Hall. I didn't even make the Guinan connection till they mentioned it, but I loved it. It's was Parisian beauty, it was a different silouette for her, she always looks runway ready and you KNOW you made it herself. So extra kudos. #craftyqueen
    BOOT
    Heidi Afrodite. The dress is nice. It's a nice purple dress, it's a very nice purple dress in-fact. Assignment done. But it's Top 6 of season 12, wearing a nice purple dress for a "color purple" category won't cut it, especially when it looks suspiciously similar to her "Black Wedding" gown, minus the shoulder piece. I'm not asking her to be a "lewk" queen, but a concept beyond 'pretty dress' isn't a huge ask at this stage.
    RUNWAY TROPHY: Gigi Goode. Originally I wasn't going to give a trophy this runway. In my head I felt "no-one slayed it enough to get one" and then I started writing why each outfit had great elements and weakness. And the fact is this had no weaknesses. I got the Scooby Doo reference instantly, it was a clever choice for a purple runway; but she still brought Gigi too it. The tulle for the sleeves, adding the enlarged green buttons and belt, choose green stockings rather than flesh coloured. She took the inspiration and still made it her own. Had anyone else done this, I would have screamed with delight. And that's not fair on Gigi, this was a slam dunk.

LIPSYNC
    Facts are facts... no-one survives 4. Heidi was going home. But Jaida still did a very good job, that hat/wig reveal into a short cut... smart queen. She did NOT sit on her laurels she earned her shantay; but it wasn't a great lipsync. I just thought it was a bad song to lipsync to, frankly. Yes I get the whole Prince/"Purple Rain" connection but of all his songs... this is the one they used? It just gave so few highs and lows, the beat wasn't energetic, nor was it sombre. That's not their fault, it was a bad song choice.

OVERALL
    Despite no-one giving me the "ooh ah-ah sensation" in either puppets, the challenge, runway NOR the lipsync, I still enjoyed the episode. Whoopi Goldberg was such an incredible challenge advisor, and I really loved 'the idea' of everything this episode, even if none of it bore truly juicy fruit. We now (basically) have our Top 4. And it's everything to play for... for three of them... Jackie won't win the crown.
    ~ rating: ★★★☆☆ [grade: B-]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-11-2020 at 07:38 AM.