Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pyro Appreciation 2020

St. John Allerdyce first appeared in Uncanny X-Men 141. Member of the Brotherhood of Mutants, now a Marauder. One of the first mutants resurrected on Krakoa.

Simon Lasker burned down his school and then was brainwashed to join the Brotherhood of Mutants and become Pyro. Later joined the X-Men.

Which Pyro do you prefer? Are Pyro and Avalanche more than friends? What do you think of Pyro in Marauders?

Pyro_(St._John_Allerdyce).jpg

Fantastic Member

I prefer Pyro without the stupid skull tattoo/mask whatever. Just still doesn't feel or look right in Marauders. Plus not once has he looked for his old bro Avalanche yet. Or even Blob. Feels out of character so far.

BANNED

I don’t think Duggan knows anything about this character beyond ‘Australian pyromancer’. Such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I don’t think Duggan knows anything about this character beyond ‘Australian pyromancer’. Such a waste.
    I'm starting to feel this too. He's been so overly "comic relief" he could have literally been any other crazy character.

Hopefully, we'll see him get some development soon. I'd love to see him interact with his old buddies Mystique, Avalanche, Phantazia, etc.

Fantastic Member

I've been trying to enjoy Pyro in Marauders just because I'm so happy to see him alive again (and being a regular in a book). I don't mind the comic relief stuff, as long as Duggan gives him some actual development at some point (and I'm hoping we'll get that in the upcoming issue.) But I agree he does feel a bit "off" in Marauders. And there's actually a lot of potential that Duggan could work with - Pyro died a slow, lingering death from the Legacy Virus, and ultimately went out in a heroic way. How does he feel about any of that? Does he even remember his choice to save Kelly (and how does he feel about the fact that Kelly got assassinated soon afterwards?) Is he still on good terms with his Brotherhood pals, or is there some bad blood because he basically turned on them at the end? Avalanche doesn't seem to have been resurrected yet, otherwise I'd expect to see them interact.

If nothing else, I would be delighted if Duggan at least makes reference to Pyro being a writer. It's one of my favorite parts of his character - this mutant criminal/terrorist who bangs out romance novels on the side. I keep hoping we'll see that he's been writing a smutty historical pirate romance during his downtime.

I definitely prefer Allerdyce to Lasker, who seemed kind of bland as a character. Although it would be interesting to see them team up.

Pyro and Avalanche are !00% married.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I'm still trying to figure out why he called Destiny "Mother" but I'm thrilled to have him back.
    Last edited by Lady Midnight; 10-05-2020 at 04:49 AM.

I love pyro, I think there’s so much yet to uncover for him even though he’s been around for ages. Wish he wasn’t so ocker but I guess that’s what Americans think we sound like

My advice for Pyro, get a brain and get rid of that ugly face tatoo, this is not an audition for suicide squad.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I like botth Pyro's. But for Marauders I would have picked Simon instead of John. Why? Because he and Bobby are are great bed-and team mates.

Original Pyro and Avalance would be a nice addition on Hellions, replacing Nanny and Orpha Maker (who are just to lame).
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I like both Pyro's. But for Marauders I would have picked Simon instead of John. Why? Because he and Bobby are are great bed-and team mates.

Original Pyro and Avalance would be a nice addition on Hellions, replacing Nanny and Orpha Maker (who are just to lame).
    I have always felt that way about Orphan Maker and Nanny, however they are becoming quite interesting in Hellions.

Pyro 2 and Avalanche 2 need new codenames and more spotlight.

I want to see Lucy from HBH fade out Pyro's face tattoo.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I like the skull tattoo, makes his character feel more reckless and lighthearted.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Fantastic Member

I have to admit, I'm getting frustrated with how Duggan is handling Pyro on Marauders. The crazy comic relief thing was fun at first, but there's been nothing really beyond that. You'd think this would be a chance to give Pyro some much-needed character development, as he's never been on an X-Team before, but he's been either making snarky quips or stuck in the background for several issues. Not much to do in the story, not even any connection to his past history. Even if there's no room for him to play a major role (which I wasn't expecting anyway), we could at least see him texting Avalanche or something. I guess it's possible that Duggan has something in mind for Pyro later, but it's been 12 issues, I've pretty much given up at this point. Maybe if we're very lucky, he'll get picked up in another book when Marauders eventually ends.

I'm guessing the skull tattoo will probably stay, though, as it'll be the visual clue to tell old Pyro from new Pyro. I'd love to see the two of them meet and interact at some point.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    I have to admit, I'm getting frustrated with how Duggan is handling Pyro on Marauders. The crazy comic relief thing was fun at first, but there's been nothing really beyond that. You'd think this would be a chance to give Pyro some much-needed character development, as he's never been on an X-Team before, but he's been either making snarky quips or stuck in the background for several issues. Not much to do in the story, not even any connection to his past history. Even if there's no room for him to play a major role (which I wasn't expecting anyway), we could at least see him texting Avalanche or something. I guess it's possible that Duggan has something in mind for Pyro later, but it's been 12 issues, I've pretty much given up at this point. Maybe if we're very lucky, he'll get picked up in another book when Marauders eventually ends.

I'm guessing the skull tattoo will probably stay, though, as it'll be the visual clue to tell old Pyro from new Pyro. I'd love to see the two of them meet and interact at some point.
    Not to mention that he has appeared in several background panels as a drunk.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Not to mention that he has appeared in several background panels as a drunk.
    The funny thing is, I'd be willing to forgive all that if I thought Duggan was going somewhere with it. Like, maybe Pyro has gone into crazy drink-and-party mode because he isn't adjusting well to the whole dying and coming back to life thing. Maybe he felt like his death was pointless because Kelly was assassinated shortly afterwards anyway - so screw it, nothing matters! Maybe saving Kelly has caused him to become alienated from his old Brotherhood pals, and that's why he isn't hanging out with any of them. That would work for me, but so far there's no indication that Duggan wants to go any deeper with Pyro. I think he just wants to write Captain Boomerang from Suicide Squad.

You're preaching to the choir. We're all desperate for Pyro development, but it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon sadly.