Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Ta-Nehisi Coates to Leave Black Panther After Issue #25

Black Panther #25
    Written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Art by Daniel Acuna
    THE FINAL ISSUE OF TA-NEHISI COATES' LANDMARK RUN!
    It's the end of an era for the Black Panther as renowned writer Ta-Nehisi Coates concludes his Wakandan epic! Over four years, Coates has taken the Black Panther to hell and back and expanded Wakanda into the distant stars. Now, in his final issue, he brings T'Challa full circle, back to the home he left behind…and the crown he has never fully accepted. This is the story of a king who sought to be a hero, a hero who was reduced to a slave, a slave who advanced into legend…and the man who has struggled to hold up an empire in his bare hands. The journey will conclude, but the legend remains. Don't miss the close of a historic epoch in comic history!

Source:https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...fter-issue-25/

Thank you! 'Bout time!

4 years too long but he's finally gone!

BANNED

TNC's run peaked early with A Nation Under Their Feet. Everything he wanted to say and do with Black Panther was so concisely and wonderfully and densely done in that opening arc that the later issues and stories didn't really have much to do but consolidate that.

Still that is a great story, and a classic BP story and one of the best Marvel story-arcs of the 2010s, so for that, I think it's great.

Black Panther and Wakanda as a serial narrative is a fairly difficult thing to do. To me the West Wing political stuff in the opening arc was the way the rest of the run should be but after bringing that up, TNC kind of backtracked and made broader reaches rather than sticking to the strength of that.

In a way Hickman is kind of doing that with HoX/PoX which is all about the mutant government, administration, politics, society and all the day to day decisions you have to make...it should be about the "nuts and bolts" and so on.

I've kind of stayed away from Coates' run because I haven't heard many kind things about it from other BP fans, so I'm definitely excited at the prospect of a new writer taking over .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've kind of stayed away from Coates' run because I haven't heard many kind things about it from other BP fans, so I'm definitely excited at the prospect of a new writer taking over .
    I tend to give things a try and regrettably gave it more issues than I should of. He had cool ideas they just weren’t handled in the manner I would of liked. T’Challa not being the star of a series was definitely a red flag early on for me as well.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

As much as I liked his run, I’m excited to see what someone else can bring to Wakanda.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Sad to see him go, the Intergalactic Wakanda stuff was pretty awesome; probably one of my favorite Black Panther stories ever. I definitely prefer his run over the lifeless and crippling mediocrity that is Agents of Wakanda, hopefully whoever is on Black Panther next can do something that's at least better than AoW. I wonder what Coates will do next. I know some BP fans were hooping and hollering about him writing Storm too, I guess, competently compared to T'Challa, so maybe Marvel will give him a Storm book. not gonna lie, I'd be 100% down for that. plus, he could have T'Challa be a regular in that, like Storm was in his book, and it can be sorta like a continuation of his Black Panther run. then again, maybe he's just done with Black Panther and wants to try something entirely new after.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-04-2020 at 12:02 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

AoW isn't really a Panther book despite it's name, it's an Avengers title (it's a spin-off from Aaron's Avengers, not Coates' Panther), so don't compare them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thank you! 'Bout time!

4 years too long but he's finally gone!
    It's time to read Black Panther again!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    It's time to read Black Panther again!
    Whomever takes over just needs to ignore the last 4+ years.

Happy for you guys. I hope you get someone both talented and wanting to push the character in a positive direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Whomever takes over just needs to ignore the last 4+ years.
    I couldn't agree more!
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I'm also sad to see him go. He was able to add depth and substance to the Wakandan mythos. I hope he has continued success with his future endeavors and I hope whoever the next writer is builds upon the work he has developed over the past view years!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Sad to see him go, the Intergalactic Wakanda stuff was pretty awesome; probably one of my favorite Black Panther stories ever. I definitely prefer his run over the lifeless and crippling mediocrity that is Agents of Wakanda, hopefully whoever is on Black Panther next can at least do something that's at least better than AoW. I wonder what Coates will do next. I know some BP fans were hooping and hollering about him writing Storm too, I guess, competently compared to T'Challa, so maybe Marvel will give him a Storm book. not gonna lie, I'd be 100% down for that, plus he could have T'Challa be a regular that like Storm was in his book and it can be sorta like a continuation of his Black Panther run. then again, maybe he's just done with Black Panther and wants to try something entirely new after.
    Hehehe, yeah you must be trolling right now. Dude didn't walk off, or leave the book. He was dropped, like a stone off a cliff, as his book fell like one. You don't trash what should have been a high profile assignment then turn around and think you picking another book to write. Coates did nothing to elevate the title character, or even make it financially viable for it to continue. What planet does that warrant picking up another book?