Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Wasn’t he supposed to do a Storm book with Jen Bartel or something?
    yes. the rumor still persists. hopefully it's TRUE.

hey boo. you're absolutely correct. he still is saying he will write a storm book: dont let anyone get you down!

Q: You mentioned if given the chance to write for any character in the Marvel universe it would be Storm. What does Storm represent for you?

A: There’s been a rumor for years that Ta-Nehisi Coates and Jen Bartel who are two of my favorite people, are going to do a Storm story and Ta-Nehisi swears to me that he’s still going to do it. So, he and I might have to fight over that ... For me and most black women our age, that was the black women superhero that we saw growing up. I think representation matters like people say, but representation isn’t everything; it’s not just having a brown face or having a woman in a certain position, but actually what their character is like. I’ve always loved Storm just because she’s so powerful and she’s so important to the X-Men. If you walk up to somebody and say name 10 superheroes, Storm is up there. I think that’s really powerful. There’s really space for somebody (it doesn’t have to be me) to write for her, to get more spotlight, because I for one, never get tired of her.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...mlq-story.html
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Some BP fans are very fickle. They used to love Maberry until DoomWar, then they became incensed, and hated him.
    The first arc was good, but Hudlin was co-writing it. When Mayberry fully took over, I noticed some oddities that didnt fit write. Then he gave Namor a pass which was unforgivable, then Doomwar and he cemented my earlier reservations when he was the only writer.

Hopefully the next writer do away with this dumpster fire of a run from the past four years and write actual compelling BP stories.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    yea because the whole comic community resides on cbr.
    No because that was a general complaint almost everywhere.

Now in the early days-Caotes Panther flew off the shelves. It is later on when it collected dust on the shelves worst than Dc Rebirth.

He wouldn't have been working in the publisher for four straight years if they thought his work wasn't worth it.
    Lets see I can list a LOT of white writers whose books have done worst than Coates and KEEP getting work. While someone like the late Dwayne McDuffie could not. A point made by his best friend Matt Wayne.

How many badly done books have Scott Lobdell have at DC alone?

Part of the reason some of these guys stay around-is because of WHOSE book they are working on. See Teen Titans, Green Lantern, Flash & Nightwing.

Also consider the Black Panther movie wave-where anything with BP on it SOLD and got in places where books like Cyborg, Young Avengers and others could never reach.

His books have been in the top 100 of Amazon sales for now 4 years. So in terms of profit-you can justify him staying.

And Marvel WILLINGLY took advantage of Storm fans. Why give her a book when you can FORCE her fans to buy the Panther book-same mess you see with Batman & Outsiders (AKA The Black Lighting book).

Problem now is you are losing too many readers and something called COMPETITION. Books with black males written BETTER are slowly coming out like The Man who Bleeped Time, The Mall, Prodigy, Resonant, Excellence, Black and others. Along with Miles Morales-whose every issue had to be reprinted and who KNOWS what Dc is going to do with Luke Fox & Aqualad.

Yeah it's time to move on and do that Storm book or does Naomi at Dc because the top black female character in comics since no one else can get a book.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No because that was a general complaint almost everywhere.

Now in the early days-Caotes Panther flew off the shelves. It is later on when it collected dust on the shelves worst than Dc Rebirth.

Lets see I can list a LOT of white writers whose books have done worst than Coates and KEEP getting work. While someone like the late Dwayne McDuffie could not. A point made by his best friend Matt Wayne.

How many badly done books have Scott Lobdell have at DC alone?

Part of the reason some of these guys stay around-is because of WHOSE book they are working on. See Teen Titans, Green Lantern, Flash & Nightwing.

Also consider the Black Panther movie wave-where anything with BP on it SOLD and got in places where books like Cyborg, Young Avengers and others could never reach.

His books have been in the top 100 of Amazon sales for now 4 years. So in terms of profit-you can justify him staying.

And Marvel WILLINGLY took advantage of Storm fans. Why give her a book when you can FORCE her fans to buy the Panther book-same mess you see with Batman & Outsiders (AKA The Black Lighting book).

Problem now is you are losing too many readers and something called COMPETITION. Books with black males written BETTER are slowly coming out like The Man who Bleeped Time, The Mall, Prodigy, Resonant, Excellence, Black and others. Along with Miles Morales-whose every issue had to be reprinted and who KNOWS what Dc is going to do with Luke Fox & Aqualad.

Yeah it's time to move on and do that Storm book or does Naomi at Dc because the top black female character in comics since no one else can get a book.
    not from my social media feeds.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    Hopefully the next writer do away with this dumpster fire of a run from the past four years and write actual compelling BP stories.
    I hope this dumb Killmonger-Symbiote thing doesn't stick around.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

A reminder for those that are letting their happiness for this news overshadow their judgment about how they express their happiness.

CBR Community Standards & Rules

TREAT COMIC BOOK PROFESSIONALS WITH RESPECT

The CBR Community is a safe space for creators or other industry professionals to stop by the site and interact with readers and fans. Whether they’re here in person or just a name on a page of a comic or article you’ve read, they’re all to be treated with respect. Having read or purchased a product someone has worked on does not mean you’re permitted to talk about them however you like. Insults, personal attacks and threats will not be tolerated. There are times when users lose sight of the line between the person and the work; criticism of the work is welcome, insults to the creator of the work are not. The same rules of civility apply and insulting behavior will not be tolerated.
    Also, keep this thread focused on the topic, not other forum members.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-03-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I recognize that Coates's decisions were polarizing (although I think his actions were often interpreted in an unfair light based on fears on how the first arc would turn out), but I would hope that the next writer is able to pivot from Coates in a way that appeals to those fans without abandoning recent continuity. At a minimum, I do think a lot of stylistic changes were fun changes. I think Wakanda has always gone for a sort of pan-African vibe and especially so with language, so I would love if they continued the non-English names for the Golden City and the Black Panther as well. I also thought the Orishas had potential even if they were woefully under-explored.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hey boo. you're absolutely correct. he still is saying he will write a storm book: dont let anyone get you down!

Q: You mentioned if given the chance to write for any character in the Marvel universe it would be Storm. What does Storm represent for you?

A: There’s been a rumor for years that Ta-Nehisi Coates and Jen Bartel who are two of my favorite people, are going to do a Storm story and Ta-Nehisi swears to me that he’s still going to do it. So, he and I might have to fight over that ... For me and most black women our age, that was the black women superhero that we saw growing up. I think representation matters like people say, but representation isn’t everything; it’s not just having a brown face or having a woman in a certain position, but actually what their character is like. I’ve always loved Storm just because she’s so powerful and she’s so important to the X-Men. If you walk up to somebody and say name 10 superheroes, Storm is up there. I think that’s really powerful. There’s really space for somebody (it doesn’t have to be me) to write for her, to get more spotlight, because I for one, never get tired of her.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...mlq-story.html
    He obviously loves Storm and this is something that's been in talks for quite some time, so I hope he gets to finally do that. I just hope it happens at the right time, because Marvel has way too many X-Men books right now, which could hurt the chances of a new Storm solo to stand out.

As for Eve and him fighting for the opportunity to write her, I think the solution is very simple: let them be co-writers. I'm sure they could do a good job together.

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    And still Marvel had turned Captain America into a nazi/hydra soldier and leader...
    Why are people still bringing up Secret Empire? That wasn't the real Captain America. It was never going to be. It was the most classic case of bait and switch in comics. Let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    Are plummeting sales good reviews? Because he gets plenty of those.
    Is getting good trade sales good reviews? 'Cause apparently, he gets that too. I just checked Amazon and the Kindle Edition for his A Nation Under Our Feet trade was still in the top 20 of bestselling Marvel Comics, a book from 4 years ago. Obviously, his work was still selling well in some capacity, which explains why he got to do FIFTY issues back to back. If his run wasn't financially sustainable for Marvel in any way, it would've been cancelled a long time ago. Black Panther is hardly the first Marvel book to plummet in the direct market while managing to capture an audience outside of it; we've seen it happening with books like Ms. Marvel. Not every book rely on the Diamond numbers, and thank God for that.

Mighty Member

Exactly. I love the run, but it is much better to read trade to trade rather than issue to issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Exactly. I love the run, but it is much better to read trade to trade rather than issue to issue.
    I think that can be said for almost any writer who is seemingly given a guaranteed long run, like a Bendis or a Hickman.

When you don't need to worry about being cancelled every 6 issues, you almost naturally adopt a more decompressed style where you can casually drop threads which may not pay off for years.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Coates: *Concludes a fairly successful 50 issue and 4 year run on his own terms, with other projects still in the works*

Random People on here: "Haha he's gone now he'll never work again!!"

lol wut
    Whether Coates left by his own choice or not is not the concern or of importance to anyone that disliked his run. We wanted it over, and it is.

Plain and simple.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Whether Coates left by his own choice or not is not the concern or of importance to anyone that disliked his run. We wanted it over, and it is.

Plain and simple.
    This statement is incongruous to the infamous posts in question, both in this thread and in the Appreciation thread. It makes those words said sound more innocent and honest then they are. Going from this, the thoughts evoked by Inversed's post are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    He obviously loves Storm and this is something that's been in talks for quite some time, so I hope he gets to finally do that. I just hope it happens at the right time, because Marvel has way too many X-Men books right now, which could hurt the chances of a new Storm solo to stand out.

As for Eve and him fighting for the opportunity to write her, I think the solution is very simple: let them be co-writers. I'm sure they could do a good job together.

Why are people still bringing up Secret Empire? That wasn't the real Captain America. It was never going to be. It was the most classic case of bait and switch in comics. Let it go.

Is getting good trade sales good reviews? 'Cause apparently, he gets that too. I just checked Amazon and the Kindle Edition for his A Nation Under Our Feet trade was still in the top 20 of bestselling Marvel Comics, a book from 4 years ago. Obviously, his work was still selling well in some capacity, which explains why he got to do FIFTY issues back to back. If his run wasn't financially sustainable for Marvel in any way, it would've been cancelled a long time ago. Black Panther is hardly the first Marvel book to plummet in the direct market while managing to capture an audience outside of it; we've seen it happening with books like Ms. Marvel. Not every book rely on the Diamond numbers, and thank God for that.
    A book that is free with prime is a "top seller"?

Do go on.

How's the second book doing?
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 03-05-2020 at 06:21 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I recognize that Coates's decisions were polarizing (although I think his actions were often interpreted in an unfair light based on fears on how the first arc would turn out), but I would hope that the next writer is able to pivot from Coates in a way that appeals to those fans without abandoning recent continuity. At a minimum, I do think a lot of stylistic changes were fun changes. I think Wakanda has always gone for a sort of pan-African vibe and especially so with language, so I would love if they continued the non-English names for the Golden City and the Black Panther as well. I also thought the Orishas had potential even if they were woefully under-explored.
    Using the orishas is a fine idea, Especially since they already exisedt in the MU, but that's not really what Coates did. His Orishas are basically just ancient metahumans, which might be an interesting take if a competent comic writer had handled it.

I'm fine with the naming conventions he used for the various Wakandan locales. Hopefully someone makes better use of them in a follow up run. I'd prop up T'challa's various pretenders in each of the cities, and make them each an active part of the Wakandan council, which again, also existed prior to Coates.
    Pull List: