Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who will replace Dan Didio?

So I suppose somebody might (or will) take over from Dan Didio.

The question is who?
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Right now it looks like no one. Lee seems to have indicated that for now he’ll be a solo act.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I believe Jim Lee just implied yesterday that they weren't looking to replace Didio, making him sole publisher.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right now it looks like no one. Lee seems to have indicated that for now he’ll be a solo act.
    Validated from Lee's panel this weekend...but also very odd.

Lee has been a fairly absentee face on the publishing front. Apparently all of his focus has been in other media (videogames, etc).
    While I questioned some of Didio's choices, this seems to swing DC in the opposite direction of minimal editorial direction.
    Is that...a good thing? My gut tells me no.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post

Lee has been a fairly absentee face on the publishing front. Apparently all of his focus has been in other media (videogames, etc).
    While I questioned some of Didio's choices, this seems to swing DC in the opposite direction of minimal editorial direction.
    Is that...a good thing? My gut tells me no.
    I wonder if Didio's micromanaging didn't scare them to the point of going in the opposite extreme.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post

But that's not true. You still have Harras as EiC. In fact without Didio and now Lee doing other stuff, this means it's Harras who is overseeing more of the publishing and editorial aspects of DC Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    But that's not true. You still have Harras as EiC. In fact without Didio and now Lee doing other stuff, this means it's Harras who is overseeing more of the publishing and editorial aspects of DC Comics.
    God help us all. Didn’t he drive Marvel into bankruptcy?

What Bruce Wayne said. Don't mistake the role that Dan DiDio took within DC for the role that the publisher fills in most publishing companies, or DC before DiDio. The job is seldom reader-facing.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    What Bruce Wayne said. Don't mistake the role that Dan DiDio took within DC for the role that the publisher fills in most publishing companies, or DC before DiDio. The job is seldom reader-facing.
    Yeah, it's been a while but I don't remember Levitz ever having the public persona or visible footprint Didio did. I know he put his foot down about saving Dick Grayson and being partial to the Legion of Super-Heroes but I don't hear many stories about him throwing his weight around. Granted I wasn't metareading then as much. Each publisher makes the role their own.

Incredible Member

Well Jim Lee had no problem with a very heavyweight rosta of talent on wildstorm so i look forward to seeing what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, it's been a while but I don't remember Levitz ever having the public persona or visible footprint Didio did. I know he put his foot down about saving Dick Grayson and being partial to the Legion of Super-Heroes but I don't hear many stories about him throwing his weight around. Granted I wasn't metareading then as much. Each publisher makes the role their own.
    He was also pretty adamant about trying to be above the whole "DC vs Marvel" rivalry, even when Marvel execs started fanning the flames again.

In a way, I think the closest analogue to the role that DiDio attempted to create for himself was Stan Lee. Stan Lee was also highly involved in the creative processes at Marvel and worked hard on fan and reader engagement.

(Comparing the qualities and abilities of DiDio and Lee as writers and editors is fraught with peril, so I won't even attempt to do so. And one should not forget that they worked in two companies that were very dissimilar, were at different parts of the company lifecycles, and with comics markets that can't be compared in any meaningful manner.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Lee being solo but a little more hands off would be worth a shot if it didn't mean the most hands-on guy in the company now is Bob Harras. That's all kinds of red flags. Get a new EIC and maybe there's something to work with. Until then though I'm very worried, even if this means 5G as it was initially envisioned won't happen.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lee being solo but a little more hands off would be worth a shot if it didn't mean the most hands-on guy in the company now is Bob Harras. That's all kinds of red flags. Get a new EIC and maybe there's something to work with. Until then though I'm very worried, even if this means 5G as it was initially envisioned won't happen.

Bob Harras, huh?

Curious.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Marie Javins and Michele Wells.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.