The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Have Darkseid and Mongul ever met?

I've long viewed Mongul as a poor man's Darkseid, though that might not be a fair or accurate description of Mongul. Have the two ever met?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Huh.
    I can't think of a single scene they've shared!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Isn't Mongul a poor man's Thanos? Who was based on Darkseid ?

Retired

Jim Starlin wanted to rip off Metron for Thanos but Roy Thomas encouraged a more Darkseid look for the character.

Starlin: "Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : 'Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!'" [CBR: Comic Book Legends Revealed #266]

I thought that Mongul was Starlin's effort to make it up to DC by donating his own Thanos/Darkseid creation, but then I realized that Mongul was Len Wein's idea--however, Starlin gave him that look which seems to be in the same category as Darkseid/Thanos.

Wein: "Well, he had Starlin visuals, but he was my creation." [THE KRYPTON COMPANION]

It's strange that these behemoths haven't crossed paths.

Astonishing Member

I've certainly thought about the similarities and differences between Mongul and Darkseid over the years, but what I hadn't really thought of was what the interaction would be like. Could you imbue Darkseid with all the deadly traits that Kirby tended to give to his ultimate villains - the ur-fascist, both stoic and underplayed and still somehow over-the-top ... while Mongul really gets charged with that Wein & Starlin energy? After being thwarted twice by Superman in that run his next appearance is of course famously Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything" so you could infuse him with some of that Moore cynicism as well. You could even play the conflict in metatext as not just Kirby vs. Wein/Starlin, but also with a big dash of Morrison vs. Moore dynamic, for some interesting results.

(Also in doing a little homework, it occurred to me that as a DC Comics Presents invention who first faced off against Superman ... but also J'onn J'onzz and Supergirl ... he's PERFECT for whatever the first Crossover is between the Supergirl & Superman & Lois CW shows! I mean you could just straight up adapt the original two part story and then have Supergirl go missing after the destruction of Warworld and cameo Amell as Oliver Queen for the Spectre part afterward).
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Jim Starlin wanted to rip off Metron for Thanos but Roy Thomas encouraged a more Darkseid look for the character.

Starlin: "Kirby had done the New Gods, which I thought was terrific. He was over at DC at the time. I came up with some things that were inspired by that. You'd think that Thanos was inspired by Darkseid, but that was not the case when I showed up. In my first Thanos drawings, if he looked like anybody, it was Metron. I had all these different gods and things I wanted to do, which became Thanos and the Titans. Roy took one look at the guy in the Metron-like chair and said : 'Beef him up! If you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one!'" [CBR: Comic Book Legends Revealed #266]

I thought that Mongul was Starlin's effort to make it up to DC by donating his own Thanos/Darkseid creation, but then I realized that Mongul was Len Wein's idea--however, Starlin gave him that look which seems to be in the same category as Darkseid/Thanos.

Wein: "Well, he had Starlin visuals, but he was my creation." [THE KRYPTON COMPANION]

Thanks, you beat me to the history lesson. Thanos owes a lot of his look to The New Gods.

Would love to see Mongul and Darkseid meet. Darkseid would definitely outmaneuver him as he’s far more Machiavellian with his evil schemes. Mongul just has a might makes right mentality. I am glad that Bendis has brought him back recently. It’s been too long since he was a real threat to the galaxy.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Apokolips vs. War World sounds like the next DC animated movie to me!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Apokolips vs. War World ...!
    Hm. That's the first event idea I've read since Kingdom Come that would tempt me to read it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Hm. That's the first event idea I've read since Kingdom Come that would tempt me to read it.

Thanks! I could see it playing out with Mongul realizing he needs some ground forces to take on Darkseid's Elite so he coerces a bunch of powerful aliens to become his own version of the Elite with such folks as:

Arkillo(Sinestro Corps)
    Blackfire
    Byth
    Despero
    Lobo
    Maxima
    Saturna/Eviless
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Actually, they do meet every Tuesday, for tea. And those nice cookie things, plus a nice little bit of chat about who they conquered and enslaved that week, you know, small talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Apokolips vs. War World sounds like the next DC animated movie to me!
    Insert “shut up and take my money!” meme.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I've long viewed Mongul as a poor man's Darkseid, though that might not be a fair or accurate description of Mongul. Have the two ever met?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That was actually my first thought when I read the title. Also don't think they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Awesome. I did hear/read that Thanos was a Darkseid rip but I never guesses this was so openly admitted. He did kept his throne attachment from Metron I guess.

Now here is the really relevant stuff my history teacher failed to teach me