Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Side note, I’m that guy that does like Logan’s healing factor power creep. Sorry....

Edit: I’d be cool with it going back down to 80’s levels as long as Logan gets to be one of the best h2h fighters ever again though.
    I am fine with healing creep too, The problem is Wolverine is double dipped in invincibility pool with adamantium skeleton. Honestly all he need is his claws to be made adamantium and that is it,That is probably biggest learning adjustment that creators make from him to X-23. The threat of decapitation and being able to incapacitate him with cutting of leg or arm would make his stories have a little bit more drama and tension. It is like a nearly indestructible tank that you add a forcefield to as well. In terms of story having forcefield almost break is interesting , Having tank take a bunch of damage near its limit and keep going is interesting.But the two thing combine make it way harder to tell a interesting story. I would love at the end of this Krakoa run, He gets a partial adamantium set up by accident something like Spine,claws,head.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am fine with healing creep too, The problem is Wolverine is double dipped in invincibility pool with adamantium skeleton. Honestly all he need is his claws to be made adamantium and that is it,That is probably biggest learning adjustment that creators make from him to X-23. The threat of decapitation and being able to incapacitate him with cutting of leg or arm would make his stories have a little bit more drama and tension. It is like a nearly indestructible tank that you add a forcefield to as well. In terms of story having forcefield almost break is interesting , Having tank take a bunch of damage near its limit and keep going is interesting.But the two thing combine make it way harder to tell a interesting story. I would love at the end of this Krakoa run, He gets a partial adamantium set up by accident something like Spine,claws,head.
    And now he just comes back to life, even if you somehow managed to kill him.

Astonishing Member

Some powers are absolutely usless for example forget me nots power as opposed to fever pitch's power.Forget me not's power is just impractical

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    It wouldn’t be if telepathy was just mind reading and telekinesis was just moving objects around. Telekinesis gets a bad wrap when writers think it is a catch all to do anything and basically replicate any power.

I actually prefer telepathy to be more than just reading thoughts but it becomes crazy when you can create worlds, or recreate dead people or even shoot bolts from your head. Telepathy should be a subtle insidious power.
    Agreed. Some of my favorite mutants, Dani Moonstar, Cypher, David Alleyne, Scanner, etc. have a power that's a tiny subset of what *every* telepath can do, right out of the box.

A telepath *should* be able to read minds, and project their thoughts, and there's no guarantee that their range will be significantly greater than a normal person can shout. (Certainly not worldwide!)

But slowly but surely, mutant telepaths have been able to;

read minds, project thoughts
    astrally project (Scanner and Trance's entire mutant powers)
    mind blast people
    alter or erase memories (Dreamer's entire mutant power)
    mind control people (Karma's entire mutant power)
    implant hypnotic suggestions to go off later
    swap minds with someone
    alter someone sensory perceptions to make them see illusions, or not see the telepath or their allies (Moonstar or Mastermind's entire mutant power, with Dani having an even weaker subset of this!)
    create psychic weapons (also something Dani has learned)
    instantly learn any skills another person has (Prodigy's entire mutant power)
    instantly teach any skills or languages to another person
    translate any languages (Cypher's entire mutant power, although he one-ups the telepaths by also being able to translate written words or computer languages)
    sense the presence of thinking minds in an area around themself
    and I'm sure there's more!

It's actually kind of crazy. I'm waiting for someone to go a step past psychic weapons and start manifesting psychic *creatures* made of telepathic energy that cause real-feeling psychic wounds (just as Psylocke's psychic knife can make you feel like you've been stabbed by a real knife, only this telepath's 'focused totality' is a psychic tiger, T-rex, giant octopus or swarm of wasps!).

Telekinesis gets weird when it starts turning into a generic Green Lantern power, creating force fields and stuff. A telekinetic moves things. Creating force fields, not so much, although one could 'freeze' the air in front of them to make a shield, of sorts, or, more likely, grab something nearby and interpose it between themself and an attack, as a form of instant cover/shield.

But really, my biggest mutant power pet peeve is mutants not using their power. Rogue and Ilyanna are major offenders here. Rogue leans pretty hard on the power she stole from Carol Danvers, and, IMO, has never really had to learn to control her actual mutant power, because she's a badass without even trying. If she had to work for a living, and use her *own* power, she'd probably have to adapt a very different fighting style, not being a mostly invulnerable flying powerhouse, moving acrobatically through the battlefield, until she can get close enough to tag people and take them out (if normal humans) and / or take their abilities (for superhumans). Ditto Ilyanna and her soul-sword/demon-queen of Limbo schtick. People like Blink and Nightcrawler manage to be pretty damn awesome and dynamic as all hell relying on the power that Ilyanna mostly uses to play team bus before and after the action.

Cable and Shatterstar are also guilty of this, but they get a partial pass because they were invented by a doof who forgot they were supposed to be *mutants* and their initial superpowers were 'guns' and 'swords' respectively, with a side of 'lots of pouches,' 'swole' and '90s attitude.' If you skip the speech balloons of their Liefield days, it's easy to think that Cable is a teleporter (since he bodyslides way more than he uses his actual mutant powers), and that Shatty has some sort of Toad-like leaping power, since he's always in a flying though the air in an awkward squatting posture, swords akimbo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Actually he can be decapitated, or have an arm or leg severed. The bones are not all of one piece, and he's got joints (and vertebrae) like everyone else. You'd have to dislocate his shoulder or hip to take his arm or leg off there (cutting through the muscle and tendons shouldn't be any harder than cutting through Cyclops muscles and tendons), but at the elbow or knee, or wrist or ankle, there's no ball joint, and a very precise cut would go right through. Same with the neck. If you hit a vertebrae, stop there, do not pass go, do not collect Wolverine head, but if you pass between vertebrae, pop goes the weasel.

And then we have the question, which part regenerates.

Does the head grow a new body (without an adamantium skeleton), or does the body grow a new head (without an adamantium skull, and, perhaps, without a bunch of his memories...), or, shudder, do *both* happen, and we are back to having a bunch of Wolverines running around?

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Some powers are absolutely usless for example forget me nots power as opposed to fever pitch's power.Forget me not's power is just impractical
    Forget-Me-Not's power makes him the perfect spy/assassin.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

And then we have the question, which part regenerates.

Does the head grow a new body (without an adamantium skeleton), or does the body grow a new head (without an adamantium skull, and, perhaps, without a bunch of his memories...), or, shudder, do *both* happen, and we are back to having a bunch of Wolverines running around?

Deadpool has regenerated his head, So we have the basic answer to your question. And the other half your question also answered by Deadpool again where someone put his body parts together that he had been putting in the trash together and they function as something. So Yes to head regenerating from the body given time and No to head growing a new body but head can be attached to another body.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-03-2020 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post

On a similar note, I hate secondary mutations in general. If I have my facts straight Emma's diamond form and cat Beast were the first examples of this, right?
    Actually, that was Jean. She originally started with telekinesis then gained telepathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually, that was Jean. She originally started with telekinesis then gained telepathy.
    Well, many seem to feel that those two powers go together and so would not count it.

But for another earlier example it's enough to go back to Nightcrawler, who has both teleportation and various physical mutations along with the abilities they provide.

If you look closely you'll find a few others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agreed. Some of my favorite mutants, Dani Moonstar, Cypher, David Alleyne, Scanner, etc. have a power that's a tiny subset of what *every* telepath can do, right out of the box.

A telepath *should* be able to read minds, and project their thoughts, and there's no guarantee that their range will be significantly greater than a normal person can shout. (Certainly not worldwide!)

But slowly but surely, mutant telepaths have been able to;

read minds, project thoughts
    astrally project (Scanner and Trance's entire mutant powers)
    mind blast people
    alter or erase memories (Dreamer's entire mutant power)
    mind control people (Karma's entire mutant power)
    implant hypnotic suggestions to go off later
    swap minds with someone
    alter someone sensory perceptions to make them see illusions, or not see the telepath or their allies (Moonstar or Mastermind's entire mutant power, with Dani having an even weaker subset of this!)
    create psychic weapons (also something Dani has learned)
    instantly learn any skills another person has (Prodigy's entire mutant power)
    instantly teach any skills or languages to another person
    translate any languages (Cypher's entire mutant power, although he one-ups the telepaths by also being able to translate written words or computer languages)
    sense the presence of thinking minds in an area around themself
    and I'm sure there's more!

It's actually kind of crazy. I'm waiting for someone to go a step past psychic weapons and start manifesting psychic *creatures* made of telepathic energy that cause real-feeling psychic wounds (just as Psylocke's psychic knife can make you feel like you've been stabbed by a real knife, only this telepath's 'focused totality' is a psychic tiger, T-rex, giant octopus or swarm of wasps!).

Telekinesis gets weird when it starts turning into a generic Green Lantern power, creating force fields and stuff. A telekinetic moves things. Creating force fields, not so much, although one could 'freeze' the air in front of them to make a shield, of sorts, or, more likely, grab something nearby and interpose it between themself and an attack, as a form of instant cover/shield.

But really, my biggest mutant power pet peeve is mutants not using their power. Rogue and Ilyanna are major offenders here. Rogue leans pretty hard on the power she stole from Carol Danvers, and, IMO, has never really had to learn to control her actual mutant power, because she's a badass without even trying. If she had to work for a living, and use her *own* power, she'd probably have to adapt a very different fighting style, not being a mostly invulnerable flying powerhouse, moving acrobatically through the battlefield, until she can get close enough to tag people and take them out (if normal humans) and / or take their abilities (for superhumans). Ditto Ilyanna and her soul-sword/demon-queen of Limbo schtick. People like Blink and Nightcrawler manage to be pretty damn awesome and dynamic as all hell relying on the power that Ilyanna mostly uses to play team bus before and after the action.

Cable and Shatterstar are also guilty of this, but they get a partial pass because they were invented by a doof who forgot they were supposed to be *mutants* and their initial superpowers were 'guns' and 'swords' respectively, with a side of 'lots of pouches,' 'swole' and '90s attitude.' If you skip the speech balloons of their Liefield days, it's easy to think that Cable is a teleporter (since he bodyslides way more than he uses his actual mutant powers), and that Shatty has some sort of Toad-like leaping power, since he's always in a flying though the air in an awkward squatting posture, swords akimbo.
    Up until Uncanny Avengers, Rogue didn't have Carol's powers and relied on her own. Shatterstar has enhanced strength and the ability to channel energy through a medium which is what he uses his swords for.

Reality Warping - boring and is always nerfed in-story because it's so OP.

Telepathy - It's gotten out of hand the things that can be done with it. There should at least be some drawbacks to it such as erasing someone's memory comes with the risk of you losing some of your own. Or the risk of losing yourself and taking on the personality of the minds you read. "Downloading" info and languages is so stupid and I hate it.

Telekinesis - Like telepathy it's only when taken to silly levels. It#s the power to move things with you're mind, how does it lead to constructs? Why is can you shoot energy blasts? Speaking of energy blasts...

Energy blasts - I don't hate power itself, it's when every power is depicted as an energy blast. Telepaths/telekinetics should not be shooting blasts of energy, that's such a lazy way to depict their powers. It's why the only thing Storm seems to do is shoot blasts of lightning or Bobby shooting ice blasts that just looks like blue energy instead of ice. It's so uncreative, lazy, and boring.

Healing - zero tension and it's not really healing anymore. Regrowing limbs should be a completely different power, not an aspect of healing. If anything they should be healing the stump faster, not to mention how stupid it is to regenerate head injuries like the excerpt shown above... It drives me nuts. Even if they could regenerate the head (which I think shouldn't and it should be the hard limit on the power) they should have zero memories of anything. Heck, that can be where the tension comes in for characters like this. Head injuries are particularly dangerous because they can't heal memories.

Also! they shouldn't be able to "heal" from things like drowning. That should be one of the ways to properly kill a healer.
    Last edited by Crimz; 03-03-2020 at 05:00 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I think her powers makes sense, if you take into account they are a psychic power, and there are millions of tarot cards and users, and there are also millions of dead tarot users in the past through the centuries.
    She basically is connecting to the collective unconscious of mankind regarding tarot cards.
    she should be able to do that with anything that is and has been symbolically meaningful to millions of humans in the present and past
    Still trying to make sense out of a biological condition relying on a specific modern artifice to manifest.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    Still trying to make sense out of a biological condition relying on a specific modern artifice to manifest.
    I’d assume that if she manifested the ability prior to the Tarot, she’d have used another medium?
    Not disagreeing, it does sound a bit daft for a mutant power, but not insurmountable, with a bit of creativity.

Astonishing Member

Reality warping stuff...anything that's godlike

Healing Factor overdone. I love the healing factor, but only so far as in Logans old days. Remember when he was stabbed from Ogun. I was in shock, thought that was the end of him. Today...doesnt matter what happens to him, see recent X-Force where he was split in half? Boooooorrriiiiing....cant read that **** anymore

I always thought Colossus' power was kind of lame.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!