Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    Not to the ridiculous extent writers have taken things.
    You'll have to be more specific. What extent are you referring to?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Whoever said Ink wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am fine with healing creep too, The problem is Wolverine is double dipped in invincibility pool with adamantium skeleton. Honestly all he need is his claws to be made adamantium and that is it,That is probably biggest learning adjustment that creators make from him to X-23. The threat of decapitation and being able to incapacitate him with cutting of leg or arm would make his stories have a little bit more drama and tension. It is like a nearly indestructible tank that you add a forcefield to as well. In terms of story having forcefield almost break is interesting , Having tank take a bunch of damage near its limit and keep going is interesting.But the two thing combine make it way harder to tell a interesting story. I would love at the end of this Krakoa run, He gets a partial adamantium set up by accident something like Spine,claws,head.
    The reason I like the power creep with Logan's healing factor is that he can tank almost anything now. He started out fighting the Hulk for his Marvel career and utilized agility mostly but he did withstand a blow from the Hulk which is no small feat. I think his current levels allow him to go on crazy adventures in space and fight a guy like Sentry, he's not going to beat Sentry but he can take a punch and not explode. To me that makes him interesting. I'm the opposite of some other posters, I don't really care to see a bunch of no name goons give a hero a hard time I want to see the A-listers brawling. Hell I'd back Phoenix Logan in any fight out there.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

acid saliva is the worst

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    TBH, I'm really not overly fond of healing factors. They're way too prone to creeping out of control (Logan's started as just mildly accelerated and he could still take hours or even days to recover from an injury. Now he can take a nuclear bomb to the face and he'll be all healed up in minutes) or being used to handwave new powers that should have nothing to do with healing at all. And it gets sort of repetitive when the only way you can get any real sense of tension/danger for the character is for "Oh noes! The villain has a never-before-seen technology that's keeping them from healing!"
    Similar things could be said about other Weapon X characters with healing factors though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Similar things could be said about other Weapon X characters with healing factors though.
    I realize. However I specifically cited Logan because he's pretty much the poster boy for out of control healing abilities (I don't count Lobo because his H/F is a parody of how over the top Wolverine got to begin with).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post

Energy blasts - I don't hate power itself, it's when every power is depicted as an energy blast. Telepaths/telekinetics should not be shooting blasts of energy, that's such a lazy way to depict their powers. It's why the only thing Storm seems to do is shoot blasts of lightning or Bobby shooting ice blasts that just looks like blue energy instead of ice. It's so uncreative, lazy, and boring.
    Telekinesis is the manipulation of matter so the telekinetics using energy blasts does kind of make sense.

Astonishing Member

I wish healing factors were like lizards growing back limbs, or something like self repair, if you receive a wound that could kill you, you go into a coma that others might confuse for being dead, while your body heals

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's gonna trigger some folks.

Which BTW...

Less of a powers issue but more of a "Why can't writers actually do RESEARCH on this" thing.

Having studied WMA/HEMA myself, I hate hate hate hate HATE the presentation of Martial Arts and Martial Artists in comics. ESPECIALLY when they're only baseline human or just above baseline human. Nothing annoys me more than a Logan or a Captain America or a Batman or (I'm looking at you ESPECIALLY) Cassie Cain wading through hundreds of mooks without breaking a sweat. If you're physically a baseline or just a hair above you have NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER being able to take more than three or four opponents on at one time even for the best, (ESPECIALLY if the 3-4 aren't stupid and using Mook Chivalry) five or six would be generous. I MAY allow a few more for Logan with his adamantium. Double digits are right-out.

Maybe some people love the power fantasy, but for me it takes all the tension out of the scene (and shreds the suspension of disbelief) when "Ho hum, the bad guy only sent twenty of his men" and the hero can walk right into the middle of them and doesn't have to use strategy or tactics to negate those numbers.
    It was implied that Cass Cain wasn't entirely human. Fiction also has martial arts styles that do give you super powers like Dragon Ball Z or Street Fighter. No it isn't realistic but neither are super powers to begin with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Telekinesis is the manipulation of matter so the telekinetics using energy blasts does kind of make sense.
    Telekinesis, as you say, is the manipulation of *matter.* What 'makes sense' is a telekinetic chucking *matter* at people, not, inexplicably, creating energy and zapping people with it, which is about as far away from 'moving matter' as reading minds or astral projecting. At this point, it's not 'telekinesis,' so much as 'Green Lantern' power to create energy constructs, without the ring, and color coded pink for Jean and green for Hellion.

Lazy writing, IMO, to take a perfectly good power, and because the writer can't be bothered to think of ways to use it, or even do the research, make them act like a completely different character. Jean Grey is not Green Lantern, and, IMO, it's lazy to portray her that way, when the powers she *does* have are already frikkin' awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Telekinesis, as you say, is the manipulation of *matter.* What 'makes sense' is a telekinetic chucking *matter* at people, not, inexplicably, creating energy and zapping people with it, which is about as far away from 'moving matter' as reading minds or astral projecting. At this point, it's not 'telekinesis,' so much as 'Green Lantern' power to create energy constructs, without the ring, and color coded pink for Jean and green for Hellion.

Lazy writing, IMO, to take a perfectly good power, and because the writer can't be bothered to think of ways to use it, or even do the research, make them act like a completely different character. Jean Grey is not Green Lantern, and, IMO, it's lazy to portray her that way, when the powers she *does* have are already frikkin' awesome.
    While I agree with everything, especially the comparison to Green Lantern, Captain Britain Betsy's psychic sword & board is cool. Frustrating for this conversation in light of tp/tk and lack of creativity, but still very cool.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

That's the Jean Grey School definition. Telekinesis is the application of force through mental ability and no physical contact.

Not this "Oh man, I'm dying. Lemme just arrange my body cells so I don't effing die" crap.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    acid saliva is the worst
    I really like acid saliva , can you imagine how satisfying it would be to spit in the face of someone who had just insulted you ! (In case there is any doubt , that was a joke )

It would be hell on your teeth however.
    Last edited by Nigel909; 03-04-2020 at 09:16 AM.

BANNED

It was implied that Cass Cain wasn't entirely human. Fiction also has martial arts styles that do give you super powers like Dragon Ball Z or Street Fighter. No it isn't realistic but neither are super powers to begin with.
    That must be a relatively recent retcon, or the result of one of the many universal soft reboots they've had since she was created, because for the longest time she was explicitly human. And I don't much care for DBZ, either (and don't get me started on the Monk class in RPGs...).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 03-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.

The over-representation of Healing Factors is a problem, solved by having Weapon X learn to synthesize "healing factor" mutant gene therapy from their time with Wolverine as a test/donor subject. Once created, they proliferated the technology to international buyers.

The over-representation of Telepathy is a problem, solved by having Psychic mutant talents be naturally viral. When a mutant with a Psychic primary talent interacts with others with primary Psychic talents, they begin to mimic each others mutations.

The over-representation of Reality-Warping is a problem, solved by having the Earth X Celestial genetic endgame be a real thing. Legion, Proteus, Franklin Richards, etc aren't random occurrences, but activations of ultimate potential.